BOB MILLS FURNITURE Employee Reviews

Easy job in warehouse but bad pay.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXDecember 15, 2016
They hate paying over time you do not hit 40 hrs and you rarely get a pay raise. You can not take off days. Frown apon. Managers are not experienced. Carry themselves as if they were still in highschool.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Pay rate
Successful and Thriving
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  OKC, OKMarch 26, 2016
Relaxed, non-bureaucratic structure. Can get things done through nimble, flexible processes. Family, small-town feel in the culture welcomes everyone. People who require strict rules and tight structure will not thrive here. Motivation through employee growth, development, and demonstrated ability is highly encouraged and rewarded.
Pros
Employee development and opportunity
Cons
401k match not very competitive
great discounts
Cashier/Finance (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 2, 2016
Usually go in and count my money bag and wait for the sales people to bring up a customer. Store paperwork in the computer system. Shred all the financial paperwork. Run nightly reports.Management lacks communication with cashiers. Hardest part of the job is not getting time off when requested ahead of time. I like meeting the new customers that come in to purchase furniture. Some co-workers are considered favorites and get more hours. Learned a lot about the different types of financing that is available.
Pros
Great medical coverage
Cons
no communication
Overall Good place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJune 27, 2016
Overall I believe that Bob MIlls Furniture is a great place to work. They have a very relaxed and family oriented environment.
Pros
The company pays failry well, and there is room for advancement since they are a smaller company
Cons
There tend to be alot of shifts in management, but they are always good choices
Nice place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 18, 2016
Managers were good, so were other sales people. The aspect of super hard selling wasn't for me but it's great for certain types of people. Potential to make huge money.
Pros
Money is good, BBQ once a week.
Cons
Short breaks, you have to have the car salesman personality.
Not a good career job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMay 20, 2015
Management will not do what their supposed to do. I waited seven months for my three month evaluation, and all I got was a 25 cent raise. As a full-time employee.
Pros
GOOD HOURS OF OPERATION
Cons
BAD AND LAZY MANAGEMENT
Fun and inviting work environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 6, 2016
When you get hired, your first week, Bob Mills will send you to OKC, put you in a very nice hotel, breakfast, and lunches are all paid for. You take a shuttle from the hotel to Bob Mills Furniture, and you train in a conference room for a full week. I will tell you know, drink lots of coffee, and bring lots of snacks (they have snacks provided as well).
You will be in class all day, break on occasion, have a lunch, then throughout the week, you’ll meet staff throughout the whole company and train with specialists from different departments. After your full week, you will do a video test, and then “graduate.” Go back home, then get to work!

A typical day at work would be to come in an hour early, work on your “TUBS,” which is going over all of your recent open orders you have done with customers and then follow up calls with customers who received their merchandise. In that early hour, we also had daily morning meetings, going over: numbers, smart buy, mattresses, volume all %’s for the day, week, half, month, etc... The company would also bring a specialist every so often to provide “continuing education” on the furniture, mattresses, or how to work on our sells techniques. Then, when it was time to get to work, the doors would open, then you have four positions to stand “Point, chair 2, 3, & 4. Employees in line 5 and beyond had to be on alert when the line was moving, but other then that we were free to do what we wanted. Mainly, hang around, talk, or work on phone calls. Then just like a hamster wheel, the day goes on and you continue to work the sale, close the sale,
  more... and get back in line for 9-12 hours, go home drained and do it all over again.

Management is just like how you hear it in any other sales position. It’s a love/hate relationship but in the end, management would be their to help you out, (for the most part). Some days, they would be busy doing their management duties, so the sales team had to work together and help each other out.

As for the co-workers, again, just like any sales position, some were loyal, some were friendly, while others were snakes and would throw you under the bus on any given day.
Overall, I got along with my coworkers and I learned something from each one!

The hardest part of the job I would say are the long grueling hours. You can get tired and burnt out quick. Lunches and breaks aren’t really something people take, because they want to get back on the floor and make that money! Also, the daily mind games you have with yourself; if you lose a sale, get a return, or just have a bad day or few days, having to continue positive affirmations, and stay mentally sharp is something that was a learning experience. Even veterans in the business even mentioned they have those days.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was the learning experience you will learn from this company. The fact that Bob Mills preaches on the “no shopper stalker,” “commission free environment," meaning we get paid either way was fantastic, one to give the customer more leisure to walk around without a salesmen being a vulture on the customer and two, even if you do have some bad days or slow days, we are still getting a “fixed” base pay, so we can still go home and provide for ourselves and family. You will learn a lot from this place.

You’ll see Mr. Bob Mills himself from time to time, checking up on each stores location, which I personally respected 100%. A LOT of business owners, or higher in command, never show, never give you the time of day, and make it very known their presence is in a “powerful” position. In my personal opinion, that is not how it should be. When Bob came I always was looking forward to seeing him and listening to his insights.
He can be intimidating to a lot of people, but he is just a business man doing his job that he is passionate about. It was a true honor meeting Mr. Bob Mills and his story of a startup was very inspiring.

Since this is a review and with all due respect, I do think when Bob Mills talks, and a few others up in corporate, that they should not make it as “military strict/standing at attention with your hands behind your back” style is not the way to speak or treat your employees. They should make it more of an open talk, and actually hear and LISTEN to feedback from ALL employees without scolding. It really made a lot of employees uncomfortable, and made the whole work environment on edge. For the MOST part, they did do a great job at making employees feel like an employee, give recognition when necessary and sending out company emails praising an employee. Only a few times, did some of the staff feel just like a number.”

Lastly, before letting someone go for not hitting their numbers, something I suggest besides getting a write up with an action plan that is not followed up by management, is to really follow up and try to help that employee who was trying. Come up of curriculum or have the employee go to OKC and train with a specialist, or have more one on one time and help the employee. Not just a write up, and a talk like you’ve been grounded.

Other then that, this company truly is great, has great furniture, great employees, great ethics, great morals, lots of fun, you can potentially make a lot of money, and importantly, knowledge gained.
Pros
Provide Lunches, open door policy, you will learn a lot, base pay plus commission
Cons
Long Hours, Sometimes Management doesn’t take ownership for their mistakes, breaks are frowned upon, this is NOT a work/life friendly environment
Competitive sales floor
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXDecember 16, 2013
Resposible to keep up with customers on orders, sale and writ tickets.
Pros
good opertunity
Cons
hours and compensation
Productive workplace. Great people to work with.
Business Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 31, 2016
Learned a lot about sales, and the language in selling. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting a sale you worked really hard for.
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales (Current Employee) –  3111 Cuthbert, Midland, TexasJune 24, 2015
Management and co-workers are the most enjoyable part of the job.

I will take with me the knowledge of furniture.

The slow part of the day is the hardest.

A typical day is helping customers to select the right furniture for them.
Pros
The employees
Cons
The slow days.

Want to know more about BOB MILLS FURNITURE?

Ask a question
Designer
Lead Designer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 8, 2015
Designer,

Setting up the showroom display and commercials for tv. Great place to work and good family environment. Worked there for almost 6 years.
Decent place to work
Social Media Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 5, 2014
This is a decent place to work. Nothing to bad nothing that great. Though if you work hard and there is a lot of room to move up, even quickly.
Complex
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJuly 22, 2014
This company pushed creative thinking from its management team. Bob Mills also like to promote from within. The company however could use better communication between its corporate and management team. Store managers are extremely micromanaged.
competitive Sales floor
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXDecember 17, 2013
sales, customer service and customer upkeep. co-workers have been amazing and extremely supportive. management on the other hand, has been compleatly unprofessional and demoralizing. Bad demeanor.
Pros
Cons
management
great place to work with friendly people
Warehouse Worker/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 26, 2014
It was a great experience to start fro the bottom and work my way into an advanced position. First time I've been able to do that with a company.
Pros
Free lunches, cooked for fellow co-workers. Great comradery with co-workers
Cons
Closed a $7, 000 deal and customer complained to GM, GM demanded stating "Where's my money" yelling and demanding that I pay him..
I love selling furniture and making people happy
Sales (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 6, 2012
Great place just want to make a career change tried something new
fun workplace
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  amarillo, tx July 11, 2013
very productive ive learned a lot more about furniture and how to handle money.
Pros
pot lucks
Cons
not steady hours
Wonderful Place!
CUSTOMER REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXApril 9, 2014
just a fun place to work. the people are wonderful. its a job that you would very much love and you have fun doing it. wonderful environment.
Fun and challenging sales position
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXJuly 29, 2013
Family atmosphere, love working directly with customers, great products
Short days
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 27, 2014
The hours were good but the stress of meeting goals was very tough.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Meeting sales goals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BOB MILLS FURNITURE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7