BofI Federal Bank Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAFebruary 2, 2017
I enjoyed this place when I started but the loan program sucks now. No one listens to suggestions for improvement. They are trying to grow the business but without putting processes into place that would solidify smooth transactions. No one cares about the borrower. The ops dept screws you over left and right and you're left to clean up the mess on a loan you have ZERO say in. It really does feel like we bait and switch these people. You escalate files and all anyone does is play the blame game and then throw it right back at you. Your loans don't fund...no other dept cares bc at least they have their hourly pay, while we have minimum wage pay and rely on our commissions to get by. NO ONE HERE CARES ABOUT YOU OR HELPING YOU SUCCEED. Work here if you feel like being upset and stressed all day long.
Cons
Loans falling apart 60 days in, not getting paid enough, dealing with excess work that isn't in your job description, picking up the slack to try and get paid.
Work Environment
Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJanuary 4, 2017
The people at BOFI are great but this is a new struggle bank with minimal training. This bank is unlike others in that it pulls people from all walks of life most with little to no banking experience to do the job they were hired for.
Pros
People, work hours, heathcare
Cons
management, pay
Sweat shop
Sr. Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 13, 2016
Clearly needs to add staff but prefers to "get by" with employees working ridiculous hours, they have not heard of work / life balance.

Some of the co-workers were really awesome, management has a hard time with intelligent, fact based opinion and suggestion. High turnover in the company
Pros
Nice break room with treats
Cons
No room for growth
Great company for go-getters
Accountant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 5, 2016
Great resources, talented coworkers, high performing, great office location, high level of autonomy and friendly upper management. Being proactive is rewarded. CEO is different from most CEOs, in a good way. Culture is strong and consistent and includes events for fun activities.

Can be challenging as others have mentioned, but it is manageable and simple discussions with your manager(s) help you prioritize better.

I'd rather work here, be challenged and grow then work in a "super fun" place where I'm bored and don't have much hope for advancement.
Pros
Growth Potential, see other comments in review
Cons
Communication from HR & OCEO could be improved
Great place for ambitious workaholics
Accountant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2016
My first day at work:
Arrived at 9 am & left at 9 pm
No training. Had to learn everything by myself.
Basically was seated in front of computer & told "Work".
Poor communication across the company.
Politics politics politics. Almost "House of cards".

Overall, interesting place to work at. Very dynamic. Never boring.
Pros
Great potential for professional growth.
Cons
Better, harder & smarter you work, higher the expectations which at the end almost impossible to meet.
Worst company ever
Accounting (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 15, 2015
From the moment I walked in the door, I was immediately stressed out. I started looking for a new job after my first week. The job starts off with a new hire orientation, where you are herded around like cattle for your tour, not knowing what you got yourself into.

The hardest part of the job is all the politics, egos, and overall workload. They intentionally give you a workload that you never have a chance of completing. My days were typically 10-hours long and I was viewed as the departmental "slacker" because I demanded a life outside of work.

On a positive note, I will say I was able to learn a lot about some new software that I can use at other companies. I also gained a lot more knowledge about excel which I'm finding to be very helpful. I also like the campus of the building, If I wasn't always so stressed out, I probably would have enjoyed a lunch break outside.

If you are completely desperate for a job, I think BofI would be a great placeholder until you can find a job you actually like. However, overall I thought the experience was horrible and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Pros
Beautiful Courtyard, Free Coffee/snacks
Cons
Constant "back-stabbing" of other departments, long hours, no HR Dept, and the list goes on
Startup
SALES (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2014
Needed better management and commissions took 3 months to close slow processors no speed to any operation sales guys had to fend on there own.

$2K per month salary , they sell you on commissions that never arrive.
Pros
NICE BUILDING AND LOCATION
Cons
EVERYTHING
Learn and gather your experience
Business Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 9, 2014
Great place to grow your career, but not a place to spend too much time in longevity. For the right employee, you'll have many options to create your own position and duties. Track what you do and how you do it. Many skills to be gathered while working here.
Pros
great location, weekends off, good medical
Cons
Poor management, no communication, watch out for the person next to you
Very nice location
AVP Income Property Lending Operations (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 24, 2014
Typical day involved arriving at before 7am.
Space is limited. Too many employees in small space.
Employees were great, executive management was tyrannical.
Pros
Across the street from UTC Mall
Cons
No casual Fridays
Blank
Centralized Intake Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2014
-very busy
-mortgage products
-360 degree feedback needed
work
Loan Processor/ Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 26, 2013
great company and job to work for really like alot. I learned alot and can take what i know to any bank.
Specialty Finance
Specialty Finance (Former Employee) –  San DiegoOctober 19, 2013
They have a high-turn over rate and are super shady. They make you contact people who have been awarded a settlement (who they consider of lower intelligence) and trick them into taking a lump sum of money from them for pennies on the dollar! Sorry bofi I have morals...
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long Hours, shady tactics, high turn over rate, cocky management, OT is prtmuch required if you want to make $
IT concierge type service for all employees
Help Desk Technical Support Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 14, 2013
Days begin at 5am with the processing of the files needed for direct deposits to post. All new hire setups were done including network profile and any new hardware assigned to that person. This included cell phones, laptop or desktop PCs, and the configuration of a desk phone. There was frequent after hours support for senior executive staff and even visits to their personal homes to assist with IT issues experienced at home. I loved the cohesiveness of the team but we worked literally 16 hours a day during the work week then were expected to use our weekends to catch up on any backlog of IT issues that had come up.
Pros
Great team, free lunch for the IT staff
Cons
Long hours and frequent missed meals due to the workload
Think twice!!!
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CaJanuary 2, 2013
This company mindset is to squeeze the life out of you. Management plays favorites and micromanage. Highlight of the day is to leave. Employees are out for themselves and will not blink an eye to back stab each other. If I didn't need the money and health benefits I'd quit.
Pros
they have an atm in the lobby.
Cons
no room for advancement.
Growing company in banking sector
Vice President, Special Assets (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 7, 2012
Excellent company for anyone looking to gain banking experience.
Stress-free
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 30, 2012
My supervisor's expectations from his employees are come to work on time, work, and go home. He does not micromanage and thus is very flexible with altering schedules when needed. He also gives his employees freedom of when to take lunches and breaks.
Pros
relaxed environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BofI Federal Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4