Boise State University

Boise State University Employee Reviews

Interesting and fun student job
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee), Boise, IDMay 26, 2015
Your day really is determined by where you're scheduled to work for the day. There are three locations, two of which are busy. The third is a total, "bring your homework" spot.
Great mentors
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Boise, IDMay 22, 2015
I enjoyed working with both the professors and students. The professors I worked for respected me and worked to mentor me in the field of university teaching and history. I really enjoyed grading, preparing lectures and discussions, working with my fellow TAs and mentoring undergraduate students.
Easy job, with great people, but little pay
Information Desk Attendant (Former Employee), Boise, IDMay 19, 2015
Its a minimum wage job, for minimum wage work, honestly. Campus is a great place to work as a student though, as its easy to jump between work and class, and it keeps you in the college atmosphere. Scheduling was very flexible, and all of my coworkers were great to work with!
Excellent
Janitorial Technician (Former Employee), Boise, IdahoMay 18, 2015
Pros: I learned new skills like board cleaning a gym floor which I could do entirely by myself.
Cons: None.
My supervisor hired me, and I was able to live up to the job requirements. I learned new skills, and I can apply those skills
in many future useful endeavors. Nena Davidson-Hampton
Productive and caring team that wants to improve campus life.
INTERN BOISE STATE EHS AND SUSTAINABILITY (Former Employee), Boise, IDMay 15, 2015
From this internship I learned to respect size and scope of trying to get an entire university on the same page. It is a marathon, not a sprint. From this internship I began to learn how large organizations operate and employees interact among themselves.
Go Broncos
Student Equipment Manager (Former Employee), Boise, IDApril 9, 2015
worked in football so it was amazing! Can't speak much for the rest of the administration but the athletic department is a great place to be
Good place to work if you do not have higher aspirations
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee), Boise, IDMarch 4, 2015
Pros: course fee waiver
Cons: paying for parking
The most enjoyable portion of the work is to work with the students.

However, the compensation is below average and hinges on a retirement pension that only pays for itself if you remain with the State for 30 years. A fee waiver is available to take classes but there is no way to finish a degree in the allowed parameters so it seems like a hook to get you to work there. Insurance coverage is reasonable. Raises for lower end employees barely cover the insurance premium and parking increases (employees must pay to park on campus) Many Classified employees work two jobs and watch Professional staff and faculty get additional raises.

Budget cuts usually shift work from the administration to the department offices
The job was very boring, my skills were very underused.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Boise, IDFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: nice people to work with
Cons: long periods of quiet, boring iddly sitting at my desk. an eight hour day felt like a 20 hour day.
I would come into work turn on my computer and read a book until the phone rang. Then back to my book. I did a little budget and bookkeeping work, but that was about two hours of work a month. We had advisors in the office and I would make their appointments and greet students.
This is a University
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Boise, IDFebruary 27, 2015
The university is fine. I work there as a student, so it does not compare as a regular employee's viewpoint. Being a research assistant is an excellent way to become familiar with the techniques associated with future careers.
its a university
Organic Chemistry Lab Instructor (Former Employee), Boise, IDFebruary 20, 2015
relaxed environment, fun to work in. was a temporary position, so not much history to base it off of. overall i was very pleased with my time spent there.
Not a bad place to work
Instructional IT Support Specialist (Current Employee), Boise IDahoFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: autonomy
Cons: indecisive leadership
40 to 50 work week. Nice people to work within a pleasant environment. Interesting leadership model in Academia. Having to opportunity to work on a diverse range of issues and challenges is the most satisfying part of the job.
Writing code
Business Intelligence (Former Employee), Boise, IDJanuary 26, 2015
I never thought that I would land a job in this field. For me it was a bit of a challenge to understand some of the terminology as well as apply it to everyday usage. Once I had a foundation I began to perform well beyond the my own expectations and I had an appreciation for having learned this skill. This job is still on the rise and I'm sure it wont be long before businesses create a demand for people with this skill set. But it wasn't for me. I'm sure if I was pursuing a degree in Computer Science or in a related field, it wouldn't be as bad and I may have even enjoy it. I liked the people that I worked with, they provided me with an opportunity to learn something that I would have never guessed existed. Having gone to meetings with customers, is where I understood the importance of writing the correct code. After all, we dealt with a lot of personal data and confidentiality of it, is of vital importance in any industry.
Flexible and fun place to work.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Boise , IDJanuary 22, 2015
I have learned a lot about business stats and Relation database management systems during the course of my Graduate Assistant ship. Working hours are flexible which helps in maintaining the schedule for both study and job.
Respectful management that is willing to work with school schedule
Herbarium Research Assistant - Internship (Former Employee), Boise, IDJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule and happy work environment
Cons: challenges of working in high traffic areas.
I enjoyed working at Boise State University, where I developed skills working on a team and learning also, how to work independently. My bosses were always there to listen to my concerns and willing to help when I had questions.
Great On Campus Job
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Boise, IdJanuary 5, 2015
Telecounsilor/Admissions (Former Employee), Boise, IDJanuary 1, 2015
It was fun being able to help students with their decision to become a Boise State student. We did a lot of college fairs, online admission chats as well as speaking with prospective students directly about what we found to be the best aspects of Boise State and the benefits to attending the school.
Great environment with opportunities for creative research
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Boise, IDJuly 18, 2014
Pros: rewarding, true love of labor
Cons: stressful at times
I have freedom at BSU to research what interests me and in turn produce the best and most exciting work of my life. Typically, from my experience, most people are not cut out for pure research. Much of what you are trying to do has been done, and usually well, so improving upon it can be daunting. You have opportunities to set your own pace which is usually a crutch for most. Many failures are discovered before you figure out the model or code that you can say, "ah-ha!"

My work definitely comes home with me. I have a personal and vested interest in the outcome, but mostly its because I love my work.
I was a student and very much enjoyed learning.
Full time student (Former Employee), Boise, IdahoMay 30, 2014
I found the professors to be very knowledgeable and very helpful.
Laboratory Assistant
Biology Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Boise, IDApril 5, 2014
Cleaning biology lab and biology teaching lab, creating and setting up supplies for lower and upper division Microbiology lab classes.
Customer service industry providing a variety of sports for students and patrons to participate in a recreational and competitive environment.
INTRAMURAL SPORTS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Campus RecreationMarch 30, 2014
I learned valuable skills of customer service, conflict resolution, and management of employees. Each work day was different and exciting and can never predict what will happen. Working with a great team environment was beneficial for the growth of individuals and the reputation of Campus Recreation. Having the pleasure to meet many fellow students in different sports was the most enjoyable part of the job.

1 2 3