Boise State University Employee Reviews in United States

Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 23, 2016
I thoroughly loved my year in Financial Aid. The people and staff were all outstanding and now that the Graduate Assistantship is over I still miss them. The people--the team--were the best part.

The were was sometimes difficult and stressful, especially at the beginning and end of a semester, when pressure was high and lines were long. The many federal regulations and Boise State policies made work interesting but complicated.

A typical day was 4 hours for me, as I was a Graduate student at the time. I would spend a portion of my day at the front desk, and others on phones, email or special projects, or training.

I brought many customer service skills and experience to this position but learned a lot about how a large organization (such as Boise State University) interacts with federal regulations concerning financial aid and scholarships.
Pros
People, Management, work environment
Cons
Grad student pays little as it is predominantly a learning position.
Teaching spanish
teaching spanish language (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 17, 2016
I was a spanish tutor, I loved working there because I like helping students to achieve their goals. Working in teams it was great.
Pros
ENJOY WORKING WITH STUDENTS
Cons
MINIMUM SALARY
Facility Manager
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 26, 2016
Working as a facility manager is a good way to gain knowledge of many areas of a facility. I love working with the staff and making sure the upkeep of the company is going on.
Math learning center is more computer based
MATHEMATICS INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 28, 2016
Teaching for the students is not the best. I would like to work somewhere that focuses more on 1-1 student interaction and hands on learning
Calm and quiet environment
Track Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 15, 2015
Had great experiences and learned so much from the coaches willing to allow me to work in office, work with the athletes on a personal basis. Keep records of daily paperwork, create spreadsheets for events and much more. Had the opportunity to travel with the team for track meets, hardest part of the job was to fit in the hours during school schedule and outside work. Overall was a great experience, and I met may great people due to the position.
Pros
The office experiences
Cons
Having to leave the position
Good place to work if you do not have higher aspirations
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 4, 2015
The most enjoyable portion of the work is to work with the students.

However, the compensation is below average and hinges on a retirement pension that only pays for itself if you remain with the State for 30 years. A fee waiver is available to take classes but there is no way to finish a degree in the allowed parameters so it seems like a hook to get you to work there. Insurance coverage is reasonable. Raises for lower end employees barely cover the insurance premium and parking increases (employees must pay to park on campus) Many Classified employees work two jobs and watch Professional staff and faculty get additional raises.

Budget cuts usually shift work from the administration to the department offices
Pros
course fee waiver
Cons
paying for parking
Part time
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  cdaApril 13, 2016
I only work 10 hours a week at $10 dollars an hour. Love my bosses! Love the flexibility! Hoping to increase hours/pay soon.
Pros
flexibilty
Peer focused and creativity friendly
Peer Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 16, 2016
I've learned how to work with a group to build and host health related events that will attract participants. Brainstorming and free thought are practiced every day.
Great place to work!
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 19, 2015
Administrators were supportive, provided challenges and the tools to work with to be a successful employee. Good work/life balance!
Love Teaching and Learning
Graduate/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 4, 2015
The most stupendous experience of my life! If I could do it all over again, I would. Great benefits, knowledgeable mentors, and invaluable experience gained.
Nice place to work with colleagues
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 26, 2015
A very good grad school for research, faculties are friendly and give inspiring for better and innovative research. Course works are way enough to get technical knowledge to compete others in the industries.
Challenging and Fun
Facilities Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 7, 2015
I liked this particular job a lot, because I was able to use my ideas and collaborate to solve problems. My manager trusted me to work independently and I was very productive doing so. I also liked the variation in the work day so far as many different types of jobs to do.
Pros
Never a dull day at work, flexible schedule
Cons
position dependent upon department funding
A exciting atmosphere to work.
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Boise State University, Boise, IDSeptember 4, 2015
During this ten year period Boise State University was transforming from a urban residential campus to a urban research institution. It formed a community college to take care of that segment of the student population that was more interested in the vocational aspects of higher education and certificate programs. it was a learning experience because I had not done much research since my doctorate program.
Pros
Exciting, changing environment
Cons
Some funding proplems
Interesting work place
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 15, 2015
Very friendly working environment. Boise is a city that grows very fast with more research and innovations. The hardest part of work focusing on a particular research when involved with many research project. Most enjoyable part would be involved in very new and potential projects
Fun and enjoyable place to work
IT and equipment attendee (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 5, 2015
I worked three days a week as a IT and equipment attendee. The work that I had to do was scheduling, billing, entering data, and helping professor in class.
Great Experience in life.
Adjunct Instructor of Spanish Language. (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 16, 2014
I teach Spanish in lower and upper division which is great because I have the opportunity to deal with beginners and advanced students. This semester I am teaching three classes which means spending almost the entire day on campus, teaching and attending to students in the office, this is my normal day.
Teaching is the best part without any doubt. The hardest part is grading but at the end of the day I enjoy it as well.
I have a group of amazing co-workers, I can not complain about it.
Even though I love what I am doing now, I miss the energy, the passion, the dynamic that I know very well when I work in sales, with group of sellers etc.
Pros
the environment, the possibility to form future teachers, the honor of teach my language.
Cons
the benefits.
Boise State Review
Textbook Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 19, 2013
I would work with professors in getting their course materials and then work with publisher reps to ensure I got the right ones. I would input data into a textbook management system, order, sell and return books that were not sold. I work in daily staff meetings and sat on the Professional/Faculty Staff Council. I managed over 35 people to make sure my shelves were set, shipping and receiving sent me the correct books on time and returned them according to publisher's specs. I work collaboratively with other managers so that we worked as a team within the store operations. Bigger projects as trying to spend less and produce more revenue was a continual goal of all five of us.
Pros
i gained a lot of management experience which led me to my other positions.
Cons
none.
Typical Day
Instructor and student assistant (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IdahoJanuary 5, 2013
Start of my job would be opening the satellite campus and unlocking all rooms being used by students and instructors. If either on asks for a spare room, I do my best to create an area for their interests. I check all fax, copy, computer, and printers to ensure that all devices are working correctly before student use. If there is a problem, I make a note of it and contact the personnel that can remedy any malfunctions. Once the classes have started, I manage the computer lab for student use and make myself available to assist anyone in need. After the classes are over, I keep the campus open for additional time for the students and instructors that need some extra time for the technology and rooms to be used for studying and time outside their busy lives.
Pros
people skills, microsoft office knowledge, verbal judo, security and safety experience
Cons
no benefits, repetitive responsibilities every day
Bsu
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 23, 2013
Overall it is a good place to work. Boise State University is a public research institution located in downtown Boise, Idaho, an urbanizing and growing capital city that is the State's center of government, business, technology and health care.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
compensation
I enjoyed working here; the atmosphere and co-workers were great.
Research Assistant/Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 26, 2013
A typical day at work and what I have learned are; Metadata curation and entry into a database and placing documents into a digital library for the US-Department of Energy’s Geothermal Data Repository. Established workflows and integrated them into standard of procedures documentation and glossaries for users of varied skill backgrounds. Researching, acquiring and digitizing legacy publications related to the geology of SW Idaho following the policies and procedures for critical data curation and management. Web (and desktop) applications development, testing, and feature reporting Assistance was also provided to application development in the form of testing and the structured report of bugs. Tested database for bugs/defects. Worked alongside an integrated data and IT team to address defects for application release.
Management and co-workers were awesome to work with.
Every day at this job was an adventure and I enjoyed every aspect of it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boise State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3