Bon-Ton Employee Reviews

A very nice company to work for.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Warren, PADecember 13, 2017
A very nice company to work for. I enjoy my job, but it is only a part time position and I am looking for a full time job. I have asked to be put on full time - but to do that they say that I would then have to work nights and weekends - and I can not do that. I am only available during the day from 7 am to 5 pm - Monday thru Friday.
Fast-paced and competitive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 11, 2017
Some of the workers are nice, management is completely slow, they complain about money loss but will return something from a customer that has been worn, torn, and bought five years ago. Not afraid to make you look stupid in front of a customer. RACIST, at least at my location. Commission is fine but the hourly pay is unbelievable for all that you have to do.
Pros
hour lunches, friendly
Cons
hourly pay, scheduling, management
Bonton
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lavale, MDDecember 7, 2017
Its a good company to work for. Flexible with hours. Face/ Slow paced depending on foot traffic. Employees are nice and managers are reasonable. Good work environment and atmosphere. Learned how to wait and cash out customers. The hardest part of the job is losing a sale with a dissatisfied customer. Enjoyable part is making a person have a good shopping experience
A Tepid Environment Incompatible with Men
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NYDecember 5, 2017
Our store did not have a single male supervisor, suggestions were ignored, input was shunned, and young attractive person's like myself were underutilized if not outright exploited with no hope of any monetary or career advancement. Serious written business proposals were ignored. They were unusually hostile toward guys and there was no real rational explanation to it, Never have I felt discriminated against as a guy, a gender not normally lumped as a minority and honestly I don't use those terms seeing them to be divisive and lame. But in full sobriety, there was this hostile take over where the younger men were cut in hours to the point of inducing all of their joint resignations. Their stock has dropped locally, they lied about the closing of stores in our radius to customers and they harbored and attitude of elitism as if they were pulling margins of AMAZON. It was a dead end in all directions.
Pros
The Zales store was nextdoor haha, Sorry for levity but they didn't achieve very much as an enterprise.
Cons
Lack of mutual and/or bilateral respect
A fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 27, 2017
How to use a cash register and talk with customers while having fun. It was a very friendly place to work. Management was very helpful when needed. The hardest part of the job was keeping the dressing rooms clean and the clothes picked up off the floor.
Not a horrible place to work
CLINIQUE BEAUTY ARTIST/ CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  bethlehem paNovember 26, 2017
I worked at the Clinique counter but the cosmetic manager was horrible but they have a new and amazing one! And they have a new store manager as well which is good! It can be face paced depending on the time of year.
Pros
sometimes lunches
Cons
no benefits for part time
Relaxed, but somewhat repetitive
Content Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 25, 2017
I enjoyed my job there, as it was flexible and relaxed. I do wish there was more variety in my day to day job duties, as I had the potential to take on a lot more work. I wish training for additional responsibility was available. I worked with some really nice and helpful managers and coworkers, however, there were 3 people that were very cliquey and stand-offish. I felt uncomfortable around them, but fine with everyone else. Also, paying for parking as well as getting in and out is a real pain. But I did enjoy my time there for the most part.
Pros
Flexible, friendly managers, easy access to lunch options, decent pay
Cons
Some cliquey coworkers, paying for parking, getting in and out of parking structure takes extra 15 min
Fast Paced and Fun
MERCHANT PLANNER (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 25, 2017
There is no typical day at work here! Be ready to switch gears at any moment. Associates who thrive in a fast paced environment will do well here. The company culture is friendly, many people have worked there for 20+ years. Most enjoyable is that no two days are the same, so you are never bored. Hardest part is the job has no ending point, it is continual.
Pros
Discount, Casual Dress Code, Summer Hours
Cons
Never any downtime
Up and coming online DC
Outbound Operations Manager - July 2017 - Present (Current Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHNovember 23, 2017
very fast paced online department store DC. Good management - peak seasons are stressful. only 3 years since start up. needs more experienced online management
Great Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scottsbluff, NENovember 23, 2017
This is a great place to work. For Part Time or Full Time if it is available. Many things to learn in retail. Most challenging part of the job is ad set. Met some new challenges.
Pros
Discounts, Benefits
Cons
On your feet for a shift
shipping and receiving
Shipping/Receiving (Former Employee) –  Loves Park, ILNovember 20, 2017
floor loading by hand, for the shipping section, very fast-paced job environment. Receiving consisted of taking the products off the truck for immediate sorting
Family like Co-workers, but zero mobility, with a lack of proper compensation
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Seneca, NYNovember 19, 2017
A typical day at work can be anything from usual cleaning, stocking, and cashing, all the way up to including working on truck, managing your own department, and having to actively train new employees. Although the workers are very friendly, which makes doing the job feel like cleaning a house, the active work the management does to put more work on less employees, without compensating them for doing more than their title would assume, has become an issue in the last few years.
Rewarding place to work
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  York, PANovember 18, 2017
I like working here. It is rewarding knowing you are able to help out our customers in any way you can. Management is very nice and is always around when you need assistance. The discount is nice and the hours are flexible.
It is mediocre company to work for.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, PANovember 18, 2017
Human resources works with my schedule as I work another job. However they understaff which causes the associates to have to work under stressful situatations.
Pros
associate discount
Fun, but temporary
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watkins Glen, NYNovember 14, 2017
I enjoyed working with this company. Although, coming into the job, i knew it was a temporary placement for me, as i live a very unsettled lifestyle which requires me to regularly move from city to city. Coworkers and management are pleasant to work with. My only criticism would be the lack of training i recieved, and having to constantly explain to customers why their coupons never seem to work on most of their purchases. Strictly speaking for myself here when i add that having to almost be pressuring to customers at times in order to reach my daily sales goals was something that made me uncomfortable, and so it was not something i wanted any part in. Guess i'm not cutout for sales lol. :^)
Pros
Flexible scheduling, upbeat work environment, mostly laid-back.
Cons
Long hours on holidays, invasive sales approach at times.
A balanced work place with peak hours and or slow days.
CSR (Former Employee) –  York, PANovember 14, 2017
Pretty laid back, Your basically self teaching yourself by browsing all work apps. You have to have Really have initiative and exceptional Csr skills.
If you need the pay then it’s something
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PANovember 12, 2017
Bon-Ton is a fast past retail store that is not my first recommendation to a friends. If you would have asked me a year ago if you wanted to work there I would have said yeah sure if you some money the management was okay and the workers and people were great but recently new management has made it a challenge to be able to do my job. There are so many take they give you and the supervisors mean well but seem to be moving that they can’t be around to help an associate or work with them on a one to one basis. The hours are working as much as possible and there are no vocation days unless your full-time. Holidays you HAVE to work which is a bummer and if you are older than 18 then you will be there till 10-11:30 at night which sucks since they extended the hours they’re open and when associates are allowed to leave with the exception of the shoe and jewelry department.
Pros
A decent job if it’s your first, associates and supervisors are awesome
Cons
Fast-Paced, Customers are a hastle, Staying Late, Manager is annoying
Work, work and work some more
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Warren, PANovember 8, 2017
Typical retail environment - stressful especially around holidays when you are required to work until closing the day before a holiday and then open up first thing the day after.
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
People are rude, women shoppers are horrible
Fun to work with the right people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Blasdell, NYNovember 6, 2017
Since I’ve worked at bon-ton, you are not allowed to use your 20% employee discount with a debit card/credit card. Paid minimum wage is not enough (9.70) Especially when fast food workers in my state get paid $10.75. The systems in the computer are outdated and coupons are a huge complaint from customers. Work could be a fun environment if you work with the right people. My managers are very very uptight and get mad even when you go to the bathroom (even when having someone to cover your department) they do not give you freedom or trust you except their favorite employees. Company is short staffed and schedules too few people. My store opened last year at 6pm on thanksgiving so people could actually have dinner with their families, this year we open at 11 and it’s a mandatory 12 hr work day so you cannot schedule off on special sale days and holidays.
Pros
Discount, paid time and half on holidays.
Cons
staff, less pay, no benefits.
manager
Cashier, Team lead (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAOctober 31, 2017
you can just be a cashier or just work on truck. truck would come in every Monday and you would have to load and unload everything, and also put it away.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bon-Ton. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9