Bon-Ton Employee Reviews

Rewarding place to work
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  York, PANovember 18, 2017
I like working here. It is rewarding knowing you are able to help out our customers in any way you can. Management is very nice and is always around when you need assistance. The discount is nice and the hours are flexible.
It is mediocre company to work for.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, PANovember 18, 2017
Human resources works with my schedule as I work another job. However they understaff which causes the associates to have to work under stressful situatations.
Pros
associate discount
Fun, but temporary
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watkins Glen, NYNovember 14, 2017
I enjoyed working with this company. Although, coming into the job, i knew it was a temporary placement for me, as i live a very unsettled lifestyle which requires me to regularly move from city to city. Coworkers and management are pleasant to work with. My only criticism would be the lack of training i recieved, and having to constantly explain to customers why their coupons never seem to work on most of their purchases. Strictly speaking for myself here when i add that having to almost be pressuring to customers at times in order to reach my daily sales goals was something that made me uncomfortable, and so it was not something i wanted any part in. Guess i'm not cutout for sales lol. :^)
Pros
Flexible scheduling, upbeat work environment, mostly laid-back.
Cons
Long hours on holidays, invasive sales approach at times.
A balanced work place with peak hours and or slow days.
CSR (Former Employee) –  York, PANovember 14, 2017
Pretty laid back, Your basically self teaching yourself by browsing all work apps. You have to have Really have initiative and exceptional Csr skills.
If you need the pay then it’s something
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PANovember 12, 2017
Bon-Ton is a fast past retail store that is not my first recommendation to a friends. If you would have asked me a year ago if you wanted to work there I would have said yeah sure if you some money the management was okay and the workers and people were great but recently new management has made it a challenge to be able to do my job. There are so many take they give you and the supervisors mean well but seem to be moving that they can’t be around to help an associate or work with them on a one to one basis. The hours are working as much as possible and there are no vocation days unless your full-time. Holidays you HAVE to work which is a bummer and if you are older than 18 then you will be there till 10-11:30 at night which sucks since they extended the hours they’re open and when associates are allowed to leave with the exception of the shoe and jewelry department.
Pros
A decent job if it’s your first, associates and supervisors are awesome
Cons
Fast-Paced, Customers are a hastle, Staying Late, Manager is annoying
Work, work and work some more
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Warren, PANovember 8, 2017
Typical retail environment - stressful especially around holidays when you are required to work until closing the day before a holiday and then open up first thing the day after.
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
People are rude, women shoppers are horrible
Fun to work with the right people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Blasdell, NYNovember 6, 2017
Since I’ve worked at bon-ton, you are not allowed to use your 20% employee discount with a debit card/credit card. Paid minimum wage is not enough (9.70) Especially when fast food workers in my state get paid $10.75. The systems in the computer are outdated and coupons are a huge complaint from customers. Work could be a fun environment if you work with the right people. My managers are very very uptight and get mad even when you go to the bathroom (even when having someone to cover your department) they do not give you freedom or trust you except their favorite employees. Company is short staffed and schedules too few people. My store opened last year at 6pm on thanksgiving so people could actually have dinner with their families, this year we open at 11 and it’s a mandatory 12 hr work day so you cannot schedule off on special sale days and holidays.
Pros
Discount, paid time and half on holidays.
Cons
staff, less pay, no benefits.
manager
Cashier, Team lead (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAOctober 31, 2017
you can just be a cashier or just work on truck. truck would come in every Monday and you would have to load and unload everything, and also put it away.
Fun Work Place you will learn alot
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAOctober 31, 2017
I learned to enjoy helping others and always be truthful to the place I learn how to handle money and learn the full store in 2 months I learn to enjoy working with a lot of people good and bad.
Typical retail environment
Part time Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAOctober 31, 2017
Typical retail hours including nights and weekends
Schedule varies week to week
Pay is in line with other retailers in the area
Company discount and periodic special employee discount events
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Lack of a set schedule
Great Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 29, 2017
Awesome work experience. Love it here would defiantly work here again. Great Management. Learned how too use the P.O.S system very well. The hours were different every week
Scattered and stressfull work place
Assistant Store Manager - Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 26, 2017
Having to be connected 24-7 to your email is more than any associate should have to do. We are expected to be on the selling floor a minimum of 7 hours of our day, yet the emails and office work required cannot be done in less that 4 hour per day. This makes for a very long work week,
Pros
Beautiful stores, great discounts
Cons
work-life balance is not possible
There was always something to do from putting products out, helping customers, and making sure the floors were clean
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Camillus, NYOctober 19, 2017
Bon-ton was a very good and interesting place to work the managemts was kind and frenidly and understood if something had come up if your personal life.
Overworked & Underpaid
ECOMMERCE (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 16, 2017
Depressing atmosphere. Grey walls, no daylight, gross old beat up carpet, etc. Some departments are so under staffed if you do not work OT there is no way you will get your work done. Management feels the pressure too but there is nothing they can do. Just have to figure it out and get it done. What I learned after working at Bonton: find a company that cares about their employees. Somewhere you are not just a number or a robot.
Energized, fast-paced and ever changing environment-that's retail!
Vice President - Divisional Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 12, 2017
Maximize trends to deliver fashion first! Strategize seasonal and annual category plans-both product and brands as well as financials. Drive sales through enticing advertising and promotions, manage inventory levels and locations to optimize opportunities, develop profitability strategies to deliver on goals. Determined, hard-working and fun people to work with, great opportunities for upward mobility through leadership, mentorship and coaching programs and practices.
not happy with others mistreating me
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYOctober 12, 2017
I have been spoken to about someone that I spoke with and that person twisted or eliminated things that I said. I feel that I am under a microscope and others want me to be fired for things that I never said. others stand around and do nothing and others do not do what is required of them. I am tired working in a place that does this. I need to move on to a more mature atmosphere, otherwise things are fine and managers are ok.
was a fun work place
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHOctober 10, 2017
I operated a stand up reach truck in confined iels removing palettes from shelves and picking items for orders and i would also have to do the same to stock the shelves.
No work life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York StateOctober 10, 2017
New retail reality is that there is no work/life balance for upper level management. Cuts to lower level staff mean that the few remaining salary workers have to pick up the pieces.
Pros
Vacation time, if you can take it
Cons
No balance
Good advancement opportunites
Corporate Maintenance Lead (Former Employee) –  York, PASeptember 27, 2017
When I was employed at Bon-Ton, I was quickly able to advance in my role, and transfer to another department within the company, in order to continue my growth.
Information on being a Sales Associate
Sales Associate/Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHSeptember 27, 2017
Very busy work environment. Ability to solving issues for customers. Expectations required by management for sales. Workplace environment can be hectic and very fast paced. Ability to Multi-task and direct other co-workers so time became efficient. Training new staff I found to be enjoyable.
Pros
Holiday Hours
Cons
Not flexable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bon-Ton. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9