BON-TON Employee Reviews in United States

Medium paced self-starter oriented environment
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 4, 2016
A typical day consisted of performing store audits on various merchandise sold, and checking with store management on any persisting issues in the store. Check with superiors for new directives or policies. Loss prevention was mismanaged, and constantly changing. I worked for three different district managers, two different regional managers, and three different internal investigators in my one year there. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the constant change in management, and the best part was being able to work primarily on my own.
Pros
Worked on my own
Cons
compensation, healthcare, management
By far the best job I've had so far
Elizabeth Arden Beauty Adviser (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PADecember 7, 2015
To say it's the best job I've had so far is the honest truth, but I would much rather have been in a better position. I found it difficult to meet the standards for the makeup counter I was at. I enjoyed all the people I worked with and miss it to this day compared to what I was doing after I had left. The advancement was slim, like so slim no one had been promoted in 20 something years. Nothing changes and it stays the same as far as the HR goes but the other employees throughout the store is constantly changing. I would've loved to stay but like I said, I saw no advancement opportunities unless I stayed until the higher up's dropped dead. I have a lot of life in me and I can't afford to live on such weak pay/commission to wait for that.
Pros
comfortable environment, ok pay, great benefits, had fun moments
Cons
no advancement opportunity
Questionable Compensation
Sales Associate and Authorizer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 24, 2015
To be honest, I quite enjoyed my job and had few issues with the company... until I found out that despite the company formally recognizing my hard-work and dedication they were hiring new associates at over a dollar more an hour than I made. When I approached human resources to attempt to obtain a raise, I was told the hourly wage I was making was "impossible" as everyone (else) had been raised significantly above it the review period earlier. Even after confirming that I was by far the lowest paid employee in the store, they still would not agree to raise my wages. Only after punching out on my last day of work, the store manager approached me and offered to match the salary of the company I was moving to. Too little, too late
great place to work
cashier/sales associate (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYMarch 8, 2016
i loved this job. i was a sales associate at the jewelry counter. i love picking out jewelry for customers to wear matching thier outfits or just for special occasions. employees were all friendly.
Pros
great work environment and clientel
Cons
no good benifits and started cutting hours
high turn over
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 31, 2016
good place to start your career. high stress, fast pace, good benefits events and sale all the time. very high turnover, need structure
benefits
Loss Prevention
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAFebruary 18, 2016
Working here was a great experience, I got to work with some incredible people. I had a lot to offer between all the benefits to get and if you needed days off they would always find away to make it work for you.
Pros
Make Own Schedule
Cons
You have to work a lot of holidays
Small office environment
Building Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAJanuary 5, 2016
Worked with a small group of people with designated responsibilities that allowed for smooth daily operations. Because it was in the construction field, the work load fluctuated seasonally. Because it was a small business, leadership was consistent.
Pros
Paid holidays, family environment
Cons
Low salary
It's a good place
Web Operations Center Tech (Current Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 4, 2016
Bon Ton is a great place to work. There is plenty of room for advancement. The compensation is not the best, but the experience has been very expansive.
Fast paced place to work, energetic team.
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 25, 2015
A typical day at work consists of interacting with new clients. Skincare checkups, makeup applications and recommendations of products. Follow up phone calls and booking appointments to ensure the growth of our business. Team rallies take place several times a day so we can touch base on business trends and where we are in reference to our sales goal. We are also held accountable for opening new charge card accounts, email captures and offering and using our "Let Us Find It" system which is a system we can order out of stock product for our customers. I learned many valuable things from the Estée Lauder brand and my co-workers such as techniques, product knowledge and exceptional customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and helping them look and feel better about them selves. I enjoy utilizing my empathy skills to better serve our clients. Our management at Carson Pirie Scott helps us strategize to achieve our sales goal although ultimately it is up to us to deliver. The hardest part of the job would have to be the scheduling.
Pros
Gratis, heath care, vision and dental benefits.
Cons
Opened 363 days a year.
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 5, 2015
If you want to never know how many hours you'll have to pay your bills, if you'll get any breaks, or who is going to yell at you next, then the Bon Ton is right for you! There aren't really any benefits for part time employees,and they don't hire anyone full time. They continue to raise the expectations for sales and credit goals, while sales keep going down and there is less and less business. Management, aside from one person in HR from my experience, is completely unreasonable and not understanding at all of personal illness or hardship. Overall, you don't want to work here, so apply somewhere else.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
terrible management, unrealistic sales and credit goals, inconsistent hours
A nice place to work
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 1, 2015
I found the people at the Bon Ton are easy to work with and that there is a good life/work balance. There isn't always clear direction from Corporate and that can be frustrating.The benefits were good and the salary was fair for the market.
Enjoyable Cosmetics Management Position but poor management of the store.
Customer Service/Clinique Cosmetics manager (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PA 15401February 24, 2016
Enjoyed my Cosmetics management Position for Clinique Cosmetics,as well as the other positions i worked at the store.
Also enjoyed working with the public on a daily basis.
However, my management team lacked in many areas,like getting me information i needed on time. It was like our store was passed over in that department.
Hard to make numbers rise or properly host events with out that information.
Hard to work in an environment where there is no teamwork.
Pros
Working with the Public, making people happy, loved my job with makeup.
Cons
Caddy work environment between the associates, lack of management doing their job.
The Experience
Selling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 18, 2016
The experience and knowledge that I gained there was vital to my future development as a career woman. I was able to supervise, and manage my own staff. I had the ability to propose ideas, and execute them. I enjoyed being there for my associates, not only as a supervisor, but as a mentor as well. They felt comfortable to come to me with any problems they had within the company, or with a customer that day. I enjoyed working with customers, and the customer service aspect. I had people, often ask me, if I was the BonTon customer service agent. The reason I left BonTon will not be disclosed to public knowledge.
Pros
The associates.
Bad work experience.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Warren, PASeptember 27, 2015
The job seemed good enough for minimum wage, but during my employment I found myself injured. My employer refused to allow me the accommodations my doctor prescribed me, and I ended up needing surgery to fix the problem. I was then fired because management deemed me "not important enough to the company" to be worth saving my job until my recovery.

Boss was super nasty and rude to all the employees and sometimes customers too. She didn't follow her own dress code, but formally scolded me for wearing nice sneakers to work (because of my injury, it made standing really painful). People quit all the time because of the management, and I don't blame them. Just an overall awful job.
Pros
Some of the people are nice.
Cons
Bad management, unprofessional, unfair, low wages, poor employee treatment
Flexibility and challenging
Selling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Doylestown, PAFebruary 23, 2016
I enjoy the constant change in the job on a day to day basis. Some days lots of truck, others meetings and then associate reviews - never boring.

I believe that for most in the retail industry, the revolving hours are always hard to adjust to and with more and more people ordering on line it is truly challenging for brick and mortar stores.

There is no typical day in retail.

I work with some of the hardest workers I have ever worked with, both management and associate levels.
Pros
Flexibility to an extent
Cons
Hours, especially during the holidays.
My Typical Day at Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAApril 17, 2015
My typical day at work was helping customers, folding clothes most of the day rang register and waited on customers. I learned to be more patient with people and don't get to frustrated. It is just not worth it. Management was not what I would have thought it would be. My co-workers I pretty much tolerated. I think the hardest part of the job was my co-workers bossing me around and their associates just like me. The most enjoyable part of job was leaving for the day.
Pros
Breaks, Associate discount, associate day, low prices
Cons
healthcare, low raises to no raises
Productive and meaningful place to work.
Clinique Assistant Counter Manager (Current Employee) –  williamsville, NYJune 24, 2015
Productive and meaningful place to work. Customers and customer service are a priority with the company. The most enjoyable parts of my job are demonstrating and educating customers on products including both the short and long term benefits of the items and building loyal customers. I work with a solid team of colleagues who share the same goals.
Nice place with a nice break room
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAFebruary 22, 2016
It Was a normal work day was busy on Holidays once holidays were over it was back to normal.

Learned how to work cash register, Open and close the cash registers, How to use the cash register, Straightened Racks and put clothes in order and with the other outfits, Folded clothes that were on self. Answered phone calls, Helped order things online.

The hardest part was Learning how to operate the cash register the first day I started and scanning up items to check out.

I enjoyed working with everyone I worked with and helping the customer find what they needed and then checking the customers out.
Pros
Long Lunch Breaks
Cons
Day dragged
Bonton is a sinking ship
Shipping Processor (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHApril 7, 2016
Working here is like slamming your head into a wall over and over again. The management changes constantly and if you finish the day and get to come back the next, that's a good day. The people in charge are inexperienced and refuse to listen to the employees that have the experience to help. Bonton has been in financial trouble for awhile and when they built the dc in WestJeff they just added to that. The building was constructed as cheaply as possible. Anywhere you work you can see nuts and bolts laying around and all you can do is hope they're extras and not just falling out of things. Upper management is starting to give people larger job classifications but not paying them more. Most of the people that work here are pretty nice, hardworking people that are just trying to keep their jobs but some do less because they are tired of getting treated badly. I would say 80% of the workforce here is looking for another job.

Work here if you must but I wouldn't make any long term plans.
Pros
They just raised the starting wage.
Cons
Everything else.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAOctober 27, 2015
As a sales associate you manager your area of work by help customers find the right thing their looking for either in clothing, cookware, bedding, or bath supplies.
Management is always there to help. They would come as soon as possible to help with a problem at the cash register or with another problem a customer was having on the floor.
It was easy to work with your co-workers and you get to know them on a more personal level and can make some really close friends, if you want. Most are very easy going!
Hardest part would have to be dealing with angry customers that don't understand how coupons work and that somethings are excluded from being used with the coupon.
Easiest part would being cashing customers out and seeing that they found everything okay and if it was easy to find.