Bon Appetit Employee Reviews

Pretty good company, can just be a little unorganized.
Server (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 19, 2017
Some workers are treated differently than others, some things aren't organized very well and causes a lot of confusion, but other than that I enjoyed working with them.
easy workday
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 10, 2017
A typical day at work was easy and I would've stayed if I could. There was nothing to learn. I did very well with management. The workplace was always clean and everyone helped each other out. The hardest part was doing other people's work. The most enjoyable part was getting off.
Working On A College Campus
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FL 33705June 10, 2017
I love my job it's easy work I make sure the food stations stay stocked and the counters stay cleaned I love the college life the kids a cool and polite.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Little parking
Fun place to work with great people.
Guest Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MNJune 6, 2017
Fast paced, challenging days and some slow days as well. I've learned a lot about many things here. Management will move you up or somewhere else if it suits you. Everyone works together to get thing done.
It was ok
Beverage Boy (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJune 5, 2017
Balanced with being a student well, but the policies were often nonsensical and management picked and chose when they wanted to be helpful to the rest of the employees
I love my job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 1, 2017
Has been one of my favorite places to work at I enjoy the clients as well as my coworkers it is a pleasant experience the chefs make the job worth being at
Pros
Food
Cons
Management sucks because some don't have good communication
It's a fine work place
Overnight prep/Baker (Current Employee) –  Cleveland OhioMay 31, 2017
Yes I've been working at bon appétit for some time now it's a fair workplace the shift I work is currently third and due to me being an overnight prep/Baker there's not a whole lot of workers around so basically it's real quiet but overall it's not bad at all just wish the pay was better
work place culture and consistency
Caterer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 31, 2017
I am grateful to have this job for my very first and only job, unfortunately I am ready to pursue a career in the medical field.I went to school because I realized I could not take the fact that there was no room for growth within the company and the section I worked for I feel was family. I was given other positions, just no pay raise.
Pros
meeting and interacting with people, new foods, new venues, different environments
Cons
favoritism, short hours, no worker value, no promotions
my experience is unique
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 30, 2017
I don't think what happened to me would happen to most people so I wont get into details, but I will say they didn't handle my situation very well. if you're into cooking it could work out for you.
Pros
free lunch buffet
Cons
low pay to start.
great place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 28, 2017
There is a lot of room to advance in company. They offer great benefits. They treat you as family, and care genuinely. I like that they give us plaques for our years of employment
Pros
great advancement
Cons
slow on pay advance
Great Company - Horrible Management at JHU
Dietician (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 24, 2017
Bon Appetit is a great company with great job security and reasoning. However, the JHU campus has horrible management in place and awards promotion according to friendships, not job competency. It seemed to be difficult to be promoted from within and many times seasoned staff members are asked to train outside hires on job duties they could have been promoted to do. There are no incentives. There is a high level of incompetence starting with the RDM and an underlying lack of integrity at this particular campus. There are extreme wage gaps between the facility managers and supervisors but each position is often held accountable for the same tasks. People who believe in the Bon Appetit standards and understand it's mission should be hired and placed in management, and managers at all levels deserve compensation for their work. There needs to be a training program implemented to improve the relationship between Bon Appetit and Johns Hopkins University.
Pros
Food, networking opportunities, resume boost
Cons
Incompetent management, lack of communication
I enjoyed working and learning new things with Bon Appetite! Everything is made from scratch which made it fun and interesting.
Cold catering (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAMay 22, 2017
Great Company to work for! food is their passion and new ideas are always welcomed! Opportunities available for every person who is looking to advance to the next level. If you love cooking this company is your place!
Pros
Free lunch indeed, plus brakes!
Excellent Food and Service
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Turlock, CAMay 18, 2017
If you, or anyone you know is getting married I suggest trying Bon Appetite catering service. The food is excellent and the staff is fantastic, all at an affordable price. I recommend Bon Appetite
Very competitive
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 12, 2017
Working at Google under bon appetit was a very good experience and opportunity to advance but some of the random managers or leads who were put in position of lead were unfair in most cases. There were too much fry favor toward certain people. Work was very fast paced but enjoyable and challenging
Pros
Free lunches and nice people
Cons
Too many bosses
Could be a good organization when all of the Management Egos can be put aside...
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 12, 2017
The place has potential but doing your job correctly and paying attention to details only gets you so far in 2017. Management's Ego can't get out its own way. Teamwork is gone out the window and replaced with the Look at ME individuals. Never seen a place like this where there was a Race to acknowledge management ahead of customers. The young immature easily feelings hurt management staff will forever affect this companies Bottomline...
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Expected to work entire shift with just a 30 minute lunch break
working for bon appetit
Corporate Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 11, 2017
Amazing company to work for and grow, I travel for them for about five years and enjoyed every minute of it. I would recommend defiantly this company to anyone.
Manager/Supervisor
Lead Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMay 9, 2017
Oversee Daily Responsibilities / Make Sure Fully-Completed

Coach/Train Employees

Work in a Team-Friendly Environment

Ensure Safe & Healthy Working Environment

Problem Solver

Fact-Pace Working Environment
Demanding job with a difficult navigation of workplace politics
Lead Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHMay 6, 2017
Management team is very understanding, though very demanding. Co-workers are easy to get along with. The workload is insane though manageable because of every co-worker being like minded individuals that are easy to relate to and get along with. They are the cafeteria based out of Otterbein University. Working for a school causes you to have no hours for a month during christmas break, and for 3 months during summer break and an additional week off during spring break, all unpaid. The high demand of cooking for 1000 students during dinner, and inconsistent work causes high turn-over. High turn-over causes them to try and call you in every time you have a day off.

Simply Summed up - Equal Highs with Equal Lows
I met a lot of interesting International students from all over the world working there. And I also like my coworkers
Chshier, dining room attendant, server (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 5, 2017
Working at this company was great & and I was working on the campus which was exciting. I met a lot of interesting students from all around the world that was very nice.
Pros
Free meals and it was 10 minutes away from my home which was great for travel purposes
Cons
Short breaks, working on my feet all day. Some of the managers were kind of mean
Fun, Fast Paced, Good Pay
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mt. Angel, ORMay 2, 2017
Fun Place To Work Very Fast Paced Good Management Full Of Smiles. The Cooks And other Staff Are Always Happy To Help If They Can. It Is A Environment Where Everyone Helps Everyone. It Is For The Catholic Religion, So This Location Is In The Mt.Angel Abby, Which Is Also A School To Become A Monk.
Pros
Free Food, Free Drinks, Flexible Sceduale
Cons
Shot, Not Enough Breaks, Short Lunch, Cramped Work Areas

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bon Appetit. Our community is ready to answer.