Bona Vista Programs Employee Reviews

More intereactions with clients
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  SYCAMORE GROUP HOME AND AMQUESTNovember 7, 2017
I enjoy working with bona vvista clients but the pay is not enough for the work needed .It is worth 10.00 Per hour for a good job done with clients.This is the most rewarding jib when you take time to know each client to meet their needs.
Pros
Getting to know clients and staff
Cons
Not enough pay and some do not treat clients well
Excellent place to work
Habilitation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INAugust 30, 2017
Bone Vista is an amazing place to work. All the community things that they get involved in with people with disabilities is awesome. The job itself is very rewarding, but the clients really make the job!
got to work with a lot of good people
Child Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJuly 14, 2017
Fun place to work. Worked with children and families. Got to help a lot of children and at risk families. Hours were great! Worked with intelligent caring people.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Pay was low
Culture of Fear
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJuly 7, 2017
Poor Management across the board: Unfair practices, lack of direction and follow through, unprofessional. The leadership has created a workplace culture that is steeped in fear.
Pros
Persons Served
Cons
Management/Culture
Very Bad
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 23, 2017
Worked One Day ...The Janitorial Job That I Was Sent To Was One of The Most Filthy Place I Had Ever Seen They Expect You To Get a 12 Hour Job Done in Seven Hours and They Work You Non Stop and For The Minimum Wage Its a Joke.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 12, 2017
Take care of the disabled I take them out so they can shop for groceries or anything thing else. I try to help them make the right decisions. I pass medications and change brief and do some lifting.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Would not recommend
Development (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 25, 2017
Management lacks throughout all of administration. Staff turn over is extremely high. Benefits are sub-par. This organization is ran from top to bottom by women that lack direction and initiative. Directives are unclear and policies are not followed through.
Cons
Healthcare, lack of direction in management
Horrible place to work
Child Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMarch 1, 2017
Once the good managers left or stepped down it was an awful place to work. The new manager talks to employees in a baby voice and acts like they're all stupid. She also hired tons of people who had 0 experience with children so it was like taking care of an extra kid due to how clueless they were. A lot of the staff were also lazy or called off constantly. They DO not give raises or bonuses no matter how hard you work. The manager also blamed all of her mistakes on the employees. She also wont make parents keep their kids home no matter what kind of illness they have so there is always something nasty going around.
Pros
some of the kids and families
Cons
everything else
Excellent job that helps the community
Clerical Assistant for Supported Living (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, IN 46901February 14, 2017
My jobs varied over the years but I always loved the job. Helping people with physical and mental disabilities to live more productive lives. Typical day involved reading notes from other staff, passing medications, assisting with cleaning chores, taking clients to medical appointments, shopping, movies.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
No breaks, long hours
Enjoyed working with some great people
QMRP (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJanuary 7, 2017
Overseen the day to day needs of 25 people with Disabilities
Helped with clients getting approved with HUD
Scheduled and attended Meeting with Case Managers and State Officials. Authorized Rep For Medicaid and Social Security
The hardest part was being on call. I enjoyed the consumers I worked for
Pros
Enjoyed The People we Served
Cons
Being on call
Mission driven and rewarding
Management (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INNovember 19, 2016
Very rewarding opportunities to work with the consumers. Staff are friendly and helpful. There is room for personal growth and career advancement. A fun environment to work in.
Pros
Paid time off, holiday pay, insurance
Awesome Mission with Room to Advance!
Staff (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 17, 2016
Bona Vista is a great place to keep your heart full and hands busy! The day to day work with the kids and adults make huge impacts and is always a collective effort. Being non profit, there has to be a passion behind your work. Even if you're looking for more compensation, there is plenty of room to advance in all programs!
Pros
Flexible schedule, approachable management, room to grow, rewarding, great team culture, great benefits
Great mission, great people
Management (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 3, 2016
I have worked at Bona Vista for over 9 years. Each day is different - but the mission remains the same - to help children and adults of all abilities. You DO have to have a passion. The company BELIEVES in it's employees and trains them on the job. It is a family, and I am so lucky to be apart of something so great.
Pros
internal promotions, people, mission
Its a good place to work. Very friendly people
CDD- supported loving (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INSeptember 22, 2016
Its a really cool place to work. You meet a lot of friendly people and everybody is willing to help if you have questions of anything. You learn a lot about the person served and what not. Really cool place
Excellent place to begin a career.
Vocational Coach (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INAugust 22, 2016
A great company with several chances to find the right position. Yet it requires a certain passion. This job can be quite challenging, but so rewarding.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Stressful
I was miserable the whole time I worked here
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMay 26, 2016
A typical day at work here was 10+ hours and exhausting. The clients were awesome to work with but the actual work was so bad. I worked the night shift in a group home, basically a janitor. We would deep clean the house every night and then when the clients got up, we would pass meds, make breakfast, get all 8 clients ready and dressed for the day. All this with 2 staff. I only worked here for 4 months, I got out asap. Most of my coworkers were nice but the culture of the company doesn't let the clients have any choices about their daily lives. They're treated like children. The management is awful. The employee retention rate is super low and the clients need routine, same people. The pay was $8.25/hr. Just a really bad experience overall.
Pros
Awesome clients
Cons
No scheduled breaks, long hours, bad pay, bad management
Very Productive Nice Place To Work
Janitoral Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 5, 2016
Nice Place To Work, And The Employees Are Hard Workers, And Could Use Some Improvement On Keeping Employees More Wages.
Pros
Kinda Flexabil
Cons
Very Long Work Hours
Always Changing
nurse (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJanuary 14, 2016
A top-heavy organization who use their employees until they are used up. The administrative staff change job titles and positions so frequently it was difficult to keep track of who to report to. Training is horrible! The direct care staff work hard, are poorly trained, and under appreciated. Co-workers develops a close bond but can turn on each other. The chain of command is non-existent and/or ignored.

The best part of working for Bona Vista is getting to know a wonderful group of men and women with special needs.
Pros
The consumers are great!
Cons
Wages are below the State average. Administration is top-heavy...too many chiefs!
Network Specialist
Network\Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 20, 2015
This was my firs job after Graduation and I learn a lot of hands on in Technology. This was a non profit company and I liked what they did for the community and would work there again if a position came open.
It is a good program , but employees are not appreciated
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kokomo,INMay 23, 2015
You really get toknow your consumers and they are like family to you. The manager I had was nice , most co-workers were nice. Alot of chiefs and not enough indians if that makes sense. Sometimes you are told one thing , then corrected and told its the other way. So sometimes alot of confusion and not enough communicating between coworkers on what is going on consumer care wise. The pay is terrible for all that you are expected to do you health care wise on a daily basis .you help them shower, cook their meals, do housework, clip their nails, run them where ever they need to go, take them to work, pick them up from work, pass the medicines to them, plus tons of state required paperwork at the end of your shift. You$8.25 and no expectation of a raise. Alot of turnover with the company. Consumers have all the rights , you have no rights as a employee , you will be cussed at,things thrown at you , consumers fighting among each other , among other worse things and you will have to just deal with it, alot of things happen that is wrong and nothing is done about . Alot of people quit because the stress is not worth the pay.
Pros
Most consumers you get to work with.
Cons
No good balance between work life /home life. Pay is really low for what you have to deal with.