Bona Vista Programs Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Child Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMarch 1, 2017
Once the good managers left or stepped down it was an awful place to work. The new manager talks to employees in a baby voice and acts like they're all stupid. She also hired tons of people who had 0 experience with children so it was like taking care of an extra kid due to how clueless they were. A lot of the staff were also lazy or called off constantly. They DO not give raises or bonuses no matter how hard you work. The manager also blamed all of her mistakes on the employees. She also wont make parents keep their kids home no matter what kind of illness they have so there is always something nasty going around.
Pros
some of the kids and families
Cons
everything else
Awesome Mission with Room to Advance!
Staff (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 17, 2016
Bona Vista is a great place to keep your heart full and hands busy! The day to day work with the kids and adults make huge impacts and is always a collective effort. Being non profit, there has to be a passion behind your work. Even if you're looking for more compensation, there is plenty of room to advance in all programs!
Pros
Flexible schedule, approachable management, room to grow, rewarding, great team culture, great benefits
Excellent place to begin a career.
Vocational Coach (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INAugust 22, 2016
A great company with several chances to find the right position. Yet it requires a certain passion. This job can be quite challenging, but so rewarding.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Stressful
I was miserable the whole time I worked here
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMay 26, 2016
A typical day at work here was 10+ hours and exhausting. The clients were awesome to work with but the actual work was so bad. I worked the night shift in a group home, basically a janitor. We would deep clean the house every night and then when the clients got up, we would pass meds, make breakfast, get all 8 clients ready and dressed for the day. All this with 2 staff. I only worked here for 4 months, I got out asap. Most of my coworkers were nice but the culture of the company doesn't let the clients have any choices about their daily lives. They're treated like children. The management is awful. The employee retention rate is super low and the clients need routine, same people. The pay was $8.25/hr. Just a really bad experience overall.
Pros
Awesome clients
Cons
No scheduled breaks, long hours, bad pay, bad management
Mission driven and rewarding
Management (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INNovember 19, 2016
Very rewarding opportunities to work with the consumers. Staff are friendly and helpful. There is room for personal growth and career advancement. A fun environment to work in.
Pros
Paid time off, holiday pay, insurance
Enjoyed working with some great people
QMRP (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJanuary 7, 2017
Overseen the day to day needs of 25 people with Disabilities
Helped with clients getting approved with HUD
Scheduled and attended Meeting with Case Managers and State Officials. Authorized Rep For Medicaid and Social Security
The hardest part was being on call. I enjoyed the consumers I worked for
Pros
Enjoyed The People we Served
Cons
Being on call
Great mission, great people
Management (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 3, 2016
I have worked at Bona Vista for over 9 years. Each day is different - but the mission remains the same - to help children and adults of all abilities. You DO have to have a passion. The company BELIEVES in it's employees and trains them on the job. It is a family, and I am so lucky to be apart of something so great.
Pros
internal promotions, people, mission
Dsp
DSP (Former Employee) –  Kokomo InJanuary 8, 2014
I worked at this company for a number of years. the management is absolutely awful. I have never met such vindictive back stabbing people in my entire life. they smile in your face and as soon as you turn your back they're talking about you, cutting your hours, and making your work life miserable. they expect you to bend over backwards for them and they won't even lift a finger for you. there is no chance of advancement and no raises are ever given out.
Pros
helping clients.
Cons
being a scapegoat, terrible management, no breaks
Its a good place to work. Very friendly people
CDD- supported loving (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INSeptember 22, 2016
Its a really cool place to work. You meet a lot of friendly people and everybody is willing to help if you have questions of anything. You learn a lot about the person served and what not. Really cool place
It is a good program , but employees are not appreciated
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kokomo,INMay 23, 2015
You really get toknow your consumers and they are like family to you. The manager I had was nice , most co-workers were nice. Alot of chiefs and not enough indians if that makes sense. Sometimes you are told one thing , then corrected and told its the other way. So sometimes alot of confusion and not enough communicating between coworkers on what is going on consumer care wise. The pay is terrible for all that you are expected to do you health care wise on a daily basis .you help them shower, cook their meals, do housework, clip their nails, run them where ever they need to go, take them to work, pick them up from work, pass the medicines to them, plus tons of state required paperwork at the end of your shift. You$8.25 and no expectation of a raise. Alot of turnover with the company. Consumers have all the rights , you have no rights as a employee , you will be cussed at,things thrown at you , consumers fighting among each other , among other worse things and you will have to just deal with it, alot of things happen that is wrong and nothing is done about . Alot of people quit because the stress is not worth the pay.
Pros
Most consumers you get to work with.
Cons
No good balance between work life /home life. Pay is really low for what you have to deal with.
Always Changing
nurse (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJanuary 14, 2016
A top-heavy organization who use their employees until they are used up. The administrative staff change job titles and positions so frequently it was difficult to keep track of who to report to. Training is horrible! The direct care staff work hard, are poorly trained, and under appreciated. Co-workers develops a close bond but can turn on each other. The chain of command is non-existent and/or ignored.

The best part of working for Bona Vista is getting to know a wonderful group of men and women with special needs.
Pros
The consumers are great!
Cons
Wages are below the State average. Administration is top-heavy...too many chiefs!
Not a good place to work...at all.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 19, 2013
I know a lot of people get vindictive after being terminated; however, I am not one of those. I am not the only person completely appalled by this company, and not the only person who got taken advantage of and then fired. Bona Vista is a great program for developmentally disabled individuals, and it is rewarding to help these people. However, the entire company is an awful disaster. Management from the top to the bottom is disorganized and uninformed, they know next to nothing about the clients, and employees are typically treated pretty poorly, though they certainly play favorites. My personal experience, I had worked for the company for four months, only one med error for dropping a pill (yes, Direct Support Professionals are responsible for passing meds). I got promoted to full-time and was praised for my job performance; I was suspended a week later without any explanation as to why, then a week after that, I was terminated, again with no explanation. And I am far from the only one who has had an experience like to this. Bona Vista offers great services for its clients, but it truly is a terrible work environment. This shows in the number of people who quit and Bona Vista is reaching out desperately for employees because people are sharing their experiences to inform others. Would definitely not recommend working for them.
Pros
helping others, learning experience, decent starting pay
Cons
poor management, uneven treatment, miminal job security, bad hours
Apply only if you like what you see here
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INFebruary 16, 2015
This company is crooked. Their turn over rate is higher than anywhere I've ever seen. The training is not done by management. They appoint another staff member to show you the ropes. Luckily, I had two great staff train me. We are "trained" to pass medications to the clients, but it is really a job for a nurse. Clients have all the say. As a woker, you have NO RIGHTS. It's their word against yours. There are many things not told to you in training. You will have things happen. They include, but are not limited to, being hit, spit on, degraded, pinched, bitten, have things thrown at you, and have your life threatened. It is sometimes a daily basis thing, unless you get lucky to have laid back clients. As for management, within my group of workers, the management is great. As for higher than that, meaning those who have the cush office jobs, they couldn't care less about you. They make the good money while you put your health and safety on the line every day. As for benefits, I'd go elsewhere.

On the plus side, when the clients have good days, they are fun to be around. Either way, you connect with them and they do be come a part of your life. Mainly because it seems you live at Bona Vista due to the high number of hours you are having to work. I enjoy the work I do, I just dont like how the company operates. If you like this kind of work, feel free to apply, they are ALWAYS hiring.

Also, the pay. You start at $8.25. In the past year there was the first raise in who knows how long. You will soon realize that $8.25 is NOT going to pay the bills and is NOT worth what you
  more... deal with.  less
Pros
great coworkers, friendly house manager, semi-flexible work hours
Cons
No scheduled breaks, no proper training, verbal abuse from clients, no enough pay to stay full time
Very Productive Nice Place To Work
Janitoral Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 5, 2016
Nice Place To Work, And The Employees Are Hard Workers, And Could Use Some Improvement On Keeping Employees More Wages.
Pros
Kinda Flexabil
Cons
Very Long Work Hours
Horrible, horrible, horrible place
DSP (Current Employee) –  KOKOMO, INMarch 3, 2014
Don't apply to work here if you have an ounce of intelligence in your mind. You will get paid the same amount ($8.25) as you would at a fast food restaurants. There is no respect from the management here. They treat us like we are a dime, a dozen. They have allowed some employees to break their policies, while others who report this validation are penalizes for doing their job correctly. Clients are not taken to the doctor when needed. Their individual rights are stepped on daily. Truth be known, the consumers should be pulled and the company should be shut down.
TAKE MY ADVICE: DON'T WORK AT BONA VISTA!! Go to OPG or Indiana Mentor. They pay more and respect their employees a million times more.
Pros
Cons
residential employees work every weekend, horrible pay, no breaks for 12 hour shifts, no support from any level of management...I can go on.
good place to work
residental advisor (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 16, 2013
I have learned a lot from this job the hardest part about this job is saying goodbye, the management on the other hand was unorganized and unfair, it was times where you felt like you were working so hard and not getting the appreciation that you deserve, but overall it was is a great place to work and if I had to do it over again I surely will.
rewarding place to work
Early Head Start- Child Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJanuary 10, 2013
A typical day is very busy with many responsibilities to maintain. I have learned many things especially that this place will be nice to you if are politically correct, and kiss butt. My co workers were really nice and we had to be a team. Management is two faced and back stabbing.
Network Specialist
Network\Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 20, 2015
This was my firs job after Graduation and I learn a lot of hands on in Technology. This was a non profit company and I liked what they did for the community and would work there again if a position came open.
Fun place to work
Receptionist/Adult-Children Outpatient Therapy (Former Employee) –  Peru, INJune 1, 2012
Typed therapy transcription notes and general office tasks.
Pros
co-workers at the time were fun to work with
Cons
job didn't pay enough.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bona Vista Programs. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8