Bonneville Power Administration

Bonneville Power Administration Employer Reviews

Great place to work for entry level individuals
Public Affairs Liaison (Current Employee), Portland, ORJune 11, 2014
Pros: work life balance
BPA is a great place to work if you are ambitious and just starting your career.
We had many fun times. We celebrated safety day every year. Played baseball. We were ike a family
Technical Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee), Kent, WAMay 17, 2014
Pros: i was given many awards including monetary awards.
I worked at the Covington WA Substation. A typical work day was 8 hours, 7:30 to 3:30. Bonneville Power is part of the Federal Department of energy and supplies Hydro-electricity to the Northwest which includes Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. They also transmit into Canada and California.
I learned a lot about the electric industry which we depend – more... on so much. The management was superior. We were like a big family. I supported 32 technical people: 5 Operations,SPC, 3 PSC, 7 Line Maintenance, 7 Electricians, 4 Realty, 3 Mechanics, 1 Construction.
The co-workers were pleasant. The hardest part of the job was going to work everyday knowing the employees were facing dangerous work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the support I had and the responsibilities they gave to me. I looked forward to going to work every day. – less
Great people to work with!
Administrative Technician III (Current Employee), Spokane, WaMay 5, 2014
Cons: no advancement for contractors with bonneville power administration
The coworkers are great and it feels like a family. A lot of office politics though and could use a few changes. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and the least enjoyable part of the job is government politics within the federal sector.
Good pay, bad managers
Business Systems Analyst II (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAApril 10, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: management
Management is entirely made up of engineers with no business acumen.
team work, flexible work hours, training available, responsibilites, accountability
Realty Technician (Former Employee), Kent, WAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
A typical day was land management issues, working with other BPA departments, receiving of materials, handling encroachments of the right-of-way.

I learned to work with BPA's many computer applications, work with landowners/developers, read maps, easement documents and to verify land ownership.

Management team was based in Portland, OR. Supervisor – more... was in Kalispell, MT. There were four co-workers in the Covington WA office. We worked both independently and as a team depending on the project at hand.

I can't think of any 'hardest parts' of the job. There's a big change in software/applications. Not hard but can be a challenage to make changes and keep your workload manageable.

The most enjoyable part of any day is from 6:00am when I walk in the door until I go home. – less
Challenging environment with good people and rewarding work
Business Architect (Current Employee), Portland OregonJanuary 13, 2014
Challenging environment with good people and rewarding work
Solid Federal Agency to work for
Operations Research Analyst (Current Employee), Portland, OROctober 25, 2013
Pros: job security, decent pay
Cons: lack of advancement opportunities
Good job security, although opportunities for advancement is limited.
Great People
Realty Tech (Current Employee), Mead, WASeptember 30, 2013
Great culture and people. Never have worked with nicer people.
A productive and challenging job to manage utility rights-of-way
Natural Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAMay 11, 2013
Pros: conducting meaningful field work to correct problem vegetation / tree problems was most rewarding
Cons: dealing with hostile landonwers over right-of way disputes was most challenging.
As a vegetation Manager, morning office time and then off to field to make evaluations or oversee contractors spread throughout western Oregon was time consuming and required time management skills. In office, planning, budgeting and designing projects as well as setting up contracts required much experience and dealing with many co-workers to accomplish – more... the work. Working with contractors to take corrective action was most rewarding. Dealing with hostile landowners was the most challenging. – less
Everything under one roof
California Settlements Analyst (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 29, 2013
Pros: all of the above!
Cons: it is about 50 miles from my home!
There is a restaurant/cafe, health club, child care, lending library for both career and personal reading; security guards, credit union, health nurse on site, free immunizations, spotlight on cultural diversity, career advancement, break patios on every floor--I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but the community of BPA is family oriented and overall – more... a very positive place to work. – less
High stress
Administrative Technician IV (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 17, 2013
Loved working with the Medical Manager. I learned alot in this department.
Great place for the uninspired
Project Coordinator/ Business Analyst in SCEP (Current Employee), Portland, ORDecember 12, 2012
Pros: location
Cons: management, lack of opportunities and development, workload, open hostility, retribution
On any given day management is absent, and lackluster. Timelines, financial trends, forecasts, and budgets are ignored. Contractors and federal employees are often segregated in tasks, while on the same team. The management is unprofessional, and can be vindictive. Hard work is not rewarded, and accountability is actively discouraged.

The team I work – more... with is divided, a mixture of productive, and lazy. The hardest part of my job is dealing with unmotivated employees, the lack of accountability, no advancement potential unless you are a managers favorite, work product has little to do with review scores. The thing I enjoy most about my job is the experience I've gained in an IT environment. – less
Outstanding employer
HMEM Foreman (Current Employee), Covington, WANovember 17, 2012
Great job, excellent compensation, the only drawback is the propensity of the Feds to reorganize perpetually, this creates some unrest and upheaval. But an outstanding place to work.
yes ping pong table was fun.at the lab
Telecommunication Engineer (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 19, 2012
Pros: per dine travel
Cons: 1 year career conditional
Electrical Engineer (EIT), Career conditional
• Office full time use, drafted: mark up and red lines changes to facility drawings. Worked 4mo in a lab - half days and the other half ar the office, rack up 5 micro-wave radio's, made shiping containers for the radios, then made infomation packets. travel to user site I also travel to 4 states to many – more... power sites.
The hardest part of the job is you office peers.
The work it self for me was not hard ,took picture and video, made reports of each site. Had classes and training,learned to do bill of materials,system drawing. Sign into gov cars and travel service log time sheet,readed assign reading of books, work on peers assignments 3ea. leaned the phone system, track down misplace equitment. This job you meet alot of other type of working laborers. The travel is stressful beening by your
self, you miss the office and the office miss you. your multi-tasking doing many things all day long.
before you know it the year is over. and they tell you there is a hiring freeze and your job is
given to next in line.

I was happy with what I did

Productive and Challenging Workplace
Project Manager - Level II (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 18, 2012
Pros: weekends and holidays off!
Cons: no bonus for extra efforts
Good place to work for a government agency. Well-run department.
Awesome training and internship
Intern/ Student (Former Employee), Olympia, WAOctober 9, 2012
Pros: fun work enviroment; awesome training oppertunity
Cons: limited participation in work tasks
--Learned a lot on procedures and about high voltage electricity

--Lead directly into apprenticeship

--Did
Very positive work environment, managers, coworkers and clients.
Client Support Technician (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 24, 2012
Pros: close to buffalo wild wings and the mall.
Cons: close to buffalo wild wings and the mall.
Assisted clients with computer problems, upgrades and installs via heldesk tickets and direct client requests. Also did various other tasks as needed or requested.

Until here I had never worked with such a terrific group. I learned that both end users and coworkers can actually be great people. I also learned the art of not using the word "no" to explain – more... why someone could not have what they wanted.

Management was also great there. Very supportive.

After getting so used to how kind and agreeable people were my skin got soft so the couple times people weren't was not fun.

The best part of the job were the people. I never new I could miss a job this much. – less
Really depends on who your manager is.
Senior Electrical Engineer (GS-0850-13) (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAApril 27, 2012
Pros: work/life balance.
Cons: poor management team, discrimination agains national guard member.
The job/work environment really depends on who your manager is and how they manage. I unfortunately had a manager who did not approve of my national guard obligations, and he was going to fire me for taking too much leave time, but all of my leave time was from military commitments and on military leave. Then two months later, he terminated my position – more... by stating I was not a good fit for the position with no reason in order to avoid laws that prohibit discrimination on military members in the workplace. – less
Relatively good pay, but frought with politics and all that brings.
Senior Software Developer (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 31, 2012
Pros: fairly good pay.
Cons: management is incompetent and untrustworthy., horrible political climate, contractors are treated as second class citizens.
You can pretty much do your job anywhere. I wrote software for them. The people and the way you are treated is what really makes a place enjoyable to work for (or not.) I have heard stories of other teams being good, but the team I was on was not one of them. Our project was and is very poorly managed. Sad to say, that is just par for the course there – more... at BPA. They treat their contractors like second class citizens. If you have a mind of your own, you will not do well here. If you just want a decent paycheck, don't care how you are treated, and don't mind agreeing to the most ludicrous ideas, then you'll fit right in.

Most of my team members were great with a few exceptions. Funny how the exceptions were always full time employees(FTE) and not contractors. I couldn't get myself to trust any of the FTEs which is again, par for the course at BPA.

Overall, my experience at BPA does not score very high on my list of great places to work. Hope this was helpful to someone. – less