Bonneville Power Administration Employee Reviews in United States

Could be a great place to work.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 5, 2016
I worked for Bonneville Power Administration for 11 years. I found the safety culture to be non-existent, perhaps because they cannot be fined for OSHA violations.
Pros
Federal Benefits and Pay
Cons
Horrible place to work.
great group of passionate, capable people with good technical depth and experience
Customer Energy Efficiency Engineer, Contract (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 6, 2016
The mission of the energy services team at BPA is to acquire energy conservation resources -- the most environmentally favorable and cost effective option for the region. The protocols for validating energy savings are the best I've encountered as applied across a number of other organizations. The engineering team could benefit from more accountable and supportive resources (people, tools that are supported/maintained; organization) that would help them in performing their jobs more effectively.
Pros
interesting work; very capable people
Cons
bureaucratic, not the best leadership in key technical roles
temporary position
ADMINISTRATIVE TECHNICIAN CLERK (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAMarch 16, 2016
My duties included taking minutes, reconciling p-cards, scheduling meetings, ordering supplies, reception. Management was great.
Great work life balance!
Sr. Business Systems Analyst - DevOps (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 22, 2016
Bonneville Power Administration has a great work life balance and everyone is very friendly. The systems can be a bit behind the current market but otherwise it's a great place to work.
Pros
The teams
Wonderful Co-workers
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 25, 2016
Can be flexible with employees/contractors if needed.
Great co-workers
Interesting products to work with
Flexible for changing job tasks - moving around
Pros
Working managers were great people
Cons
Management style is old and unproductive
Electronic Designer II (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORDecember 14, 2015
I had a great boss to for, I was allowed to do my job without an micro-management, and a team that would assist you when needed.
Pros
great team
Cons
getting laid off
Bpa
Public Utilities Specialist/Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 18, 2016
Most enjoyable part of my job was the projects. I loved making a difference for the environment. The technologies are great. A lot of learning
Keeping the lights on in the Pacific Northwest
Dispatcher-Outage (Former Employee) –  Mead, WAAugust 30, 2015
BPA is a superior company to work for. From the appointed administrator to the groundsman working with the lineman, the excellence in job performance is second to none. BPA relies heavily on software and integrated systems to reliably deliver power to it's customers. It also has top notch professionals that back up the electronics if or when those systems fail. I'd recommend the company to anyone wishing to work for the government and have a secure retirement and safe working environment.
Pros
Safe, reliable, friendly service provider.
Cons
Minimum health care through government health companies.
Great place for the uninspired
Project Coordinator/ Business Analyst in SCEP (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 12, 2012
On any given day management is absent, and lackluster. Timelines, financial trends, forecasts, and budgets are ignored. Contractors and federal employees are often segregated in tasks, while on the same team. The management is unprofessional, and can be vindictive. Hard work is not rewarded, and accountability is actively discouraged.

The team I work with is divided, a mixture of productive, and lazy. The hardest part of my job is dealing with unmotivated employees, the lack of accountability, no advancement potential unless you are a managers favorite, work product has little to do with review scores. The thing I enjoy most about my job is the experience I've gained in an IT environment.
Pros
location
Cons
management, lack of opportunities and development, workload, open hostility, retribution
Good organiztaion
Senior Technical Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 24, 2015
Good company and Org to work with. They have good people and people who are willing to roll up there sleeves and get to work to get the job done. They are willing to help out where needed and give direction and assistance when they can.
Really depends on who your manager is.
Senior Electrical Engineer (GS-0850-13) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 27, 2012
The job/work environment really depends on who your manager is and how they manage. I unfortunately had a manager who did not approve of my national guard obligations, and he was going to fire me for taking too much leave time, but all of my leave time was from military commitments and on military leave. Then two months later, he terminated my position by stating I was not a good fit for the position with no reason in order to avoid laws that prohibit discrimination on military members in the workplace.
Pros
work/life balance.
Cons
poor management team, discrimination agains national guard member.
Multiple projects and training, lots of meetings
Instructional Designer II /Trainer III (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 5, 2015
Multiple projects to work on. Loved training and educating employees on software. Conducted training in small and large groups, over phone and web. Many meetings as expected with many demands and needs to meet.
Owner/Painting contractor
Foreman II (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 3, 2015
Meeting with Customers.
Preparing Bids for projects.
Purchasing Materials.
Painting residential structures.
Billing.
Training.
Managing Staff.
Code and Safety Compliance.
Pros
I loved being self employed
Cons
Exhausting, never ending work schedule.
Great people to work with!
Administrative Technician III (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WaMay 5, 2014
The coworkers are great and it feels like a family. A lot of office politics though and could use a few changes. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and the least enjoyable part of the job is government politics within the federal sector.
Cons
no advancement for contractors with bonneville power administration
team work, flexible work hours, training available, responsibilites, accountability
Realty Technician (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 24, 2014
A typical day was land management issues, working with other BPA departments, receiving of materials, handling encroachments of the right-of-way.

I learned to work with BPA's many computer applications, work with landowners/developers, read maps, easement documents and to verify land ownership.

Management team was based in Portland, OR. Supervisor was in Kalispell, MT. There were four co-workers in the Covington WA office. We worked both independently and as a team depending on the project at hand.

I can't think of any 'hardest parts' of the job. There's a big change in software/applications. Not hard but can be a challenage to make changes and keep your workload manageable.

The most enjoyable part of any day is from 6:00am when I walk in the door until I go home.
Pros
flexible hours
Very positive work environment, managers, coworkers and clients.
Client Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 24, 2012
Assisted clients with computer problems, upgrades and installs via heldesk tickets and direct client requests. Also did various other tasks as needed or requested.

Until here I had never worked with such a terrific group. I learned that both end users and coworkers can actually be great people. I also learned the art of not using the word "no" to explain why someone could not have what they wanted.

Management was also great there. Very supportive.

After getting so used to how kind and agreeable people were my skin got soft so the couple times people weren't was not fun.

The best part of the job were the people. I never new I could miss a job this much.
Pros
close to buffalo wild wings and the mall.
Cons
close to buffalo wild wings and the mall.
A productive and challenging job to manage utility rights-of-way
Natural Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 11, 2013
As a vegetation Manager, morning office time and then off to field to make evaluations or oversee contractors spread throughout western Oregon was time consuming and required time management skills. In office, planning, budgeting and designing projects as well as setting up contracts required much experience and dealing with many co-workers to accomplish the work. Working with contractors to take corrective action was most rewarding. Dealing with hostile landowners was the most challenging.
Pros
conducting meaningful field work to correct problem vegetation / tree problems was most rewarding
Cons
dealing with hostile landonwers over right-of way disputes was most challenging.
We had many fun times. We celebrated safety day every year. Played baseball. We were ike a family
Technical Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 17, 2014
I worked at the Covington WA Substation. A typical work day was 8 hours, 7:30 to 3:30. Bonneville Power is part of the Federal Department of energy and supplies Hydro-electricity to the Northwest which includes Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. They also transmit into Canada and California.
I learned a lot about the electric industry which we depend on so much. The management was superior. We were like a big family. I supported 32 technical people: 5 Operations,SPC, 3 PSC, 7 Line Maintenance, 7 Electricians, 4 Realty, 3 Mechanics, 1 Construction.
The co-workers were pleasant. The hardest part of the job was going to work everyday knowing the employees were facing dangerous work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the support I had and the responsibilities they gave to me. I looked forward to going to work every day.
Pros
i was given many awards including monetary awards.
Great place to work for entry level individuals
Public Affairs Liaison (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 11, 2014
BPA is a great place to work if you are ambitious and just starting your career.
Pros
work life balance
Relatively good pay, but frought with politics and all that brings.
Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 31, 2012
You can pretty much do your job anywhere. I wrote software for them. The people and the way you are treated is what really makes a place enjoyable to work for (or not.) I have heard stories of other teams being good, but the team I was on was not one of them. Our project was and is very poorly managed. Sad to say, that is just par for the course there at BPA. They treat their contractors like second class citizens. If you have a mind of your own, you will not do well here. If you just want a decent paycheck, don't care how you are treated, and don't mind agreeing to the most ludicrous ideas, then you'll fit right in.

Most of my team members were great with a few exceptions. Funny how the exceptions were always full time employees(FTE) and not contractors. I couldn't get myself to trust any of the FTEs which is again, par for the course at BPA.

Overall, my experience at BPA does not score very high on my list of great places to work. Hope this was helpful to someone.
Pros
fairly good pay.
Cons
management is incompetent and untrustworthy., horrible political climate, contractors are treated as second class citizens.

Bonneville Power Administration Reviews by Location