Books-A-Million Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Great Atmosphere and fun people to work with.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 22, 2017
I have greatly enjoyed my time working at Books-A-Million. The staff are all very friendly, hard working, and make the working experience very fulfilling and enjoyable. I would recommend the job to anyone who would like to get there foot in the door at an amazing bookstore!
books a milllion
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, PASeptember 19, 2017
while the discounts were pleasant, the policies that were enforced there were not always the easiest to follow. The company often had nearly impossible standards to meet and the management was rarely available
Great Place!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Beverly Hills, MI 48025September 15, 2017
While working within Books-A-Million, I have gained a great deal of knowledge in learning about customer service and what I have to do to move up in the company. Although the corporation itself makes many changes, they are changes that are needed to make the company even more successful.
Pros
Great Discounts, Fun Associates
Cons
Short breaks
corp. expectations are to high
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 14, 2017
corp. expectations are too high with little to no help. corp. sets you up to fail. fake donation event such as coffee for troops and Christmas book drive are only meant for bottom line sales. this company has no integrity
Dumb
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 13, 2017
Nothing against the job itself; it wasn't for me. But the managers were pretty annoying and they wanted us to take unethical means to sell magazines and stuff.
Pros
Wasn't hard
Cons
Managers
Ehh.. not terrible
Non-Book Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 7, 2017
Working at BAM was one of the best times of my life.. for about a year. After that, unnecessary drama kept unfolding, the higher managers would not take care of situations that created a hostile work environment, and I was made promises of advancement that were absolutely not even close to kept. On top of that, the pay is not livable, and they cut raises and positions significantly. Overall, I enjoyed the job that I had. I just did not enjoy the work environment.
It was a good first job...but
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCSeptember 4, 2017
It's not meant to be a job that you stay in forever. You are much better off either advancing or staying the minimum amount of time you need to, as the pay is not good, and does not equal the amount of work you put in. It's not a difficult job, its top-down pressured however, meaning upper management is always bearing down on card sales, avg. sales for the day, and overall magazine sales. Co-workers are generally friendly and management is as well when they aren't being barked at by upper management. The hardest part of the job is trying to persuade people to buy the discount card and magazines, as that is what makes the job so competitive. If you don't sell cards you will see a decrease in your hours and increase in those who do sell cards. The most enjoyable part was probably being able to see all the new stock that came in and pust stuff on hold that we wanted.
Pros
Discount, flexible hours, and off days.
Cons
Poor pay, management was overbearing, no room to make more money
Books-A-Million is a sinking fleet on fire with abused captains
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSSeptember 3, 2017
I would rather work at a McDonald's for the rest of my life than work at Books-A-Million ever again. We tried everything just to improve our store only to find that the company itself is designed to fail. Stock never updates for market trends, their tech is ancient, their stores are out of style, and their management system is embarrassing.
Pros
Perspective on the rest of the service industry
Cons
Everything else.
Good Place to Gain some experience.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND BOOKSELLER (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 29, 2017
It's more like 50/50 on how busy or slow you will be during a shift, however it is a great job to learn to run register and to get that experience with cash handling and customer service. You have the opportunity to increase your pay through the spiff program connected to the cards and magazines (if you pursue a job with this facility it will be explained how the daily quota has to met for these two things). Getting the cards and magazines are by far the hardest part of the job but not impossible, you just have to make sure to throw them both out there to the people that come to your register. It's a lot like working with family, and the people there love to joke around.
Pros
Flexible hours/shifts, opportunity for raises through the spiff program, patient managers, good people (for the most part) to work with.
Cons
Shift preferance mix ups, 18+ to work there, never the same shift
Competitive, not too bad of a job to have for a short while, could use better management and organization
Café Lead (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TN 37042August 24, 2017
Typical day could be simple or a lot of tasks or customers. You could look forward to a lot of cleaning, tasks, customer service, keeping sales up,
I learned to lead better
Management could be more organized and professional
Pros
Good first job, decent health benefits and paid vacations for full time workers
Cons
stressful at times, hours, not enough workers or too many, management could do better, very few people have full time
Wonderful company
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARAugust 22, 2017
I absolutely loved working for BAM! I was there for almost 5 years, and the longer that i was there the more positive changes i saw in policy. Every member of Upper Management in the company that i had the oppurtunity to interact with were pleasant, warm, and seemed to genuinly care about the associates. They provide great benefits to their employees, and there is ample oppurtunity to move up in the company. I started out as a barista in the cafe, and ended my time with BAM as the Assistant General Manager. If you work for BAM, you truly are part of the BAM family, and that is what i will most miss about working for this company. If they had a store in the state that i moved to, i would definitly still be a happy BAM employee.
I love the people I work with, every has too-notch customer service skills.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJAugust 20, 2017
Working at Book-a-Million has been my happy place for the most part. It's a slower pace, but I still feel accomplished at the end of the day. While everyone is kind and I enjoy my responsibilities as a bookseller, it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life, nor do I think it could support me for the rest of my life.
Exciting Job
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCAugust 18, 2017
Hard work fast paced. If you love books this is a great place to work. Compensation for time worked and effort could be enhanced. Overall great work place.
Pros
Books
Cons
Great aside from sales pitches
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, PAAugust 17, 2017
I love this job, my management team, great friendly relationship with my coworkers. Meeting new people every day keeps things interesting, as well as building relationships with regulars.

The only thing I don't like is knowing I'm scamming customers on magazines but feeling pressured by corporate to do it anyway. My second week on the job, the manager actually pressured me into pushing more magazines or she would get written up and possibly demoted.
Pros
great hours, works with school schedule, fun environment
Cons
sales goals and quotas
Friendly workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAAugust 16, 2017
Books-a Million, lives and dies with its discount program. If you are unwilling to engage with customers and share with them the benefits of the program, you will likely not last long with the company. If you can see yourself doing that, however, chances are you will be very happy at Books-a Million.
Pros
Great co-workers, good discount.
Cons
You need to always be closing with the Millionaires club card.
Alright place to work during college
Barista (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNAugust 10, 2017
It was a decent job and I learned a lot from my experience working here, but there was too much pressure to sell the discount cards and magazines which aren't even a good deal. Good quality customers and employees, but the pressure the management puts you to sell the discount cards is ridiculous.
Pros
Good Discount, friendly employees, nice customers
Cons
The pressure to sell cards and magazines
Fun first job
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDAugust 1, 2017
This was my first real job and it was a great experience. I was able to experience being not only a cashier but I was also trained in the cafe. I enjoyed working in the cafe the most because it gave me the opportunity to multitask while also maintaining good customer service. As a barista I not only made a variety of drink to customers but I also made baked goods, stocked different candy and beverages around the store, and was also to provide customer service as a bookseller when the cafe was not busy.
Pros
Laid back, quiet
Cons
unorganized at times
Productive and a fun place to work with new people everyday.
Bookseller/Barista/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 31, 2017
Although there is much to do and a lot of deadlines to meet there are many advantages. Like position advances and seeing and new people from all walks of life and being surrounded by books and magazines and a wonderful cafe.
Membership card driven
Manager, Cafe Manager, Merchandising Specialist (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJuly 28, 2017
A typical day would start by coming in and trying to convince customers spending $8 on a book to then spend $25 on a discount card. Then convincing them to sign up for free magazines that if they didn't cancel would then charge them upwards of $60.
You then spend the rest of your shift trying to put out loads of freight while simultaneously doing customer service and being short handed at the same time.
They recently changed the pay scale for employees by pennies on the dollar, because they were rated the worst company to work for in 2015. Employees, including management that had worked there for years, were denied raises while the CEO of the company got a new jet.
Upper management consistently threatens and harasses employees to push the club card and magazines.
The only good thing about working for this company are your co-workers and the book check out.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Stressful and Poorly Managed
Bookseller / Cafe General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 27, 2017
Books-a-million is an oddly stressful place to work despite being such a quiet atmosphere. There are high expectations placed on metrics (Number of club cards and magazine subscriptions sold), but little placed on customer service. The company needs a huge overhaul on how they manage. What they offer employees is far too little as opposed to what they expect out of them.
Pros
Discounted Retail, Check out books to read for free, Vacation time for full-time employees
Cons
High metrics are expected, Customer Service is not a priority, Lots of Micromanagement, Lots of tedium