Books-A-Million

Books-A-Million Employer Reviews

BAM! is running itself into the ground.
Keyholder (Current Employee), Exton, PAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: employee discount, book loans, free advanced reader copies of books, knowledgeable staff, friendly customers
Cons: forced discount card and magazine quota, uncaring main office
Pros:
Employee Discount; Book Loans; free Advanced Reader Copies of books; knowledgeable staff; friendly customers.

Cons:
Forced quota on Discount Cards ($25 sign up fee) for a 5% of sales and Magazines sales. If a customer already has the card, their purchase counts against your needed percentage. Inconsistent hours. Main office is concerned more – more... with card sales and magazines purchases than with book sales. Main office also does not focus on store demographics - store must constantly plead for titles that sell well in the store, or resort to ordering under pseudonyms posing as customers.

All in all:
Raising the card cost to $25 was a novice mistake. People were already reluctant to pay $20, and with the increase in price there's even less. Add to that the inevitable market saturation, and after a certain point it won't be possible to consistently achieve 5% of sales. Stores should be scouted for demographics information: i.e., the northern more stores don't need 50 copies of "Jesus is Calling" just because the southern stores sell it well. If the company continues on this path, then within 10 years they will be in the same position as Borders - i.e., gone. – less
Barista/Sales
Sales Associate/Barista (Former Employee), Fort Walton Beach, FLAugust 11, 2014
A typical sales based position with emphasis on selling discount cards to clients.
Great management but overall a very unproductive bussiness.
Cafe Specialist (Former Employee), Rocky Mount, NCAugust 4, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: short breaks, difficult metric requirements.
The management team at Books-A-Million was phenomenal, but there were very few advancement opportunities, and it was extremely difficult to get a full time position. I was there for over a year and I was in a specialist position for 6 months and I still was not eligible for full time. Some of the customers were great but the store location had a very – more... negative impact on business. A normal day at work for me involved getting the cafe set up, tidying up the store, and making various drinks for customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers, while the hardest part of the job was selling discount cards. My co-workers were fantastic for the most part aside from the politics. – less
Consistent and non-stressful job
Bookseller (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAAugust 3, 2014
I enjoy working at Books-A-Million more than I have any of the other retail jobs that I've worked in my life. Something about the books just makes people calm whereas selling clothes retail tends to get much more hectic throughout the day. Occasionally it can get a bit slow, and that can be a bit draining, but, for what it's worth, it's a great job.

The – more... management is great and did a great job in training me and making me feel comfortable when i was first getting started. And they did a great job putting together a crew that works well together. – less
This store announced it was closing on the day after Christmas, 2013.
Digital sales, cashier. (Former Employee), Jupiter, FLAugust 1, 2014
Pros: fair atmosphere to work in
Cons: never enough hours to be able to live by and support a family.
I cannot give you an honest review, because I was only a part time team player; thus I feel my opinions would not be valid.
fun workplace, low pay
Cafe Specialist (Former Employee), Kissimmee, FLJuly 28, 2014
Pros: fun, good hours
Cons: low pay
Fun to work with all the books and making coffee but it was not about selling books, it was all about selling membership cards.
Always on your toes.
Cafe Barista (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 24, 2014
Pros: very great schedule.
Cons: stressful at times.
A typical day at the job was interesting in many different ways. Most enjoyable part was seeing your regular customers and catching up with them. Hardest part would be standing on your feet all day. It got tiresome at times. I liked the company of my coworkers and management. Never had a problem with anyone I worked with.
Relaxed Work Environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Decatur, ALJuly 21, 2014
Pros: quiet workplace, easy tasks, simple computer software, friendly customers, friendly coworkers
Cons: discount card sale percentages were difficult to meet.
Working for Boos-A-Million was relatively easy. The tasks given to the employees were simple and easy to complete. Most of the customers were very friendly and easy to accommodate. It is a very quite workplace and always smells of fresh coffee.

My only difficulty was, as a cashier, customers typically found it irritating to be asked several questions – more... upon checkout: "do you have a discount card?" "would you like to purchase a discount card" "Would you like to sign up for a magazine subscription" I found that many of my customers either already had a discount card or rarely shopped at Books-A-Million and couldn't justify buying a $20 discount card. That being said, if an employee did not sell a certain percentage of discount cards, they were written up. That was the only serious frustration I had. – less
Very fun and sociable place to work.
Bookeeper (Former Employee), Jackson, MSJuly 10, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: low pay
This job provides a great atmosphere for socializing with people who share the same interest as you.
Believably the worst company to work for
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee), South Portland, MEJuly 7, 2014
Cons: no advancemnet, ungodly horrific treatment, poor wages.
You can go into BAM as an entry level employee, and for me it was a dream job, and learn quickly there is no room for advancement despite how hard you work (the store manager admits she only promotes those that brown nose "because that's how the world works"), my life (and the life of my grandparents, an infant in my care, and people I care for) were – more... threatened by an employee, and according to management it wasn't the store responsibility to ensure my safety, nor was it their problem because the offender could sue the store if they intervened to protect an employee, and to top all this off an assistant manager laughed at the death of my unborn child. – less
Customer Service
Customer Service Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJuly 7, 2014
I enjoyed helping customers purchase their merchandise. I helped them find what they were looking for.
Great place if you like books
Customer Service and Overnight Truck Crew (Former Employee), Concord, NHJune 29, 2014
Pros: good discount
Cons: not a career
I worked the night crew mostly so it wasn't too bad. we were left to ourselves from 10-7:30. Management of the night crew wasn't very good so we couldn't get much work done due to lack of explaining and training. good discounts on books. It had a fun environment.
Positive work environment.
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Wilson, NCJune 25, 2014
A relaxing day filled with educated minded people. Serving customers whether as a barista or bookseller was always fun and exciting.
Excellent first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Trussville, ALJune 24, 2014
Pros: access to books
Cons: low moral
I worked in both the cafe and the book side of the store so tasks varied from day to day. Though the morning shifts involved setting up and preparing for the day while the evening shifts involved cleaning up, taking inventory, and making the store presentable. Some of the sales objectives were difficult, but my co-workers were fantastic, and made the – more... days enjoyable. – less
Invaluable real-life business experience
General Manager (Current Employee), City of Sunrise, FLJune 24, 2014
It's been my privilege to work in the book/publishing business for the last 14 years. In terms of keeping your finger on the pulse of what goes on in our society; from popular culture, to politics and beyond, one would be hard pressed to ask for a better job.
An enjoyable work atmosphere.
Barista (Former Employee), North Little Rock, ARJune 21, 2014
I served drinks and pastries to a variety of customers in a fast-paced environment. I gained people skills and learned a large amount about customer service. The management personnel, my co-workers, and I worked as a team. It was a great environment to work in. The hardest part of the job was we had our weekly truck delivery.
It's a job in the most unmotivational way ever encountered
Specialist (Current Employee), Bossier City, LAJune 21, 2014
Pros: beginner experience
Cons: everything else, and more
Here's a basic rundown of how the typical day goes at BAM:

Manager opens the store a couple minutes late.
The usual customers come in to find new books or get a drink.
Cashier/Barista get informed of how many cards they have to get to make percentage.
Customer Service becomes a madhouse as there is only one person to run the desk/operate the phones.
Manager – more... wanders around and does something helpful every now and then, sometimes rarely at all.
Store closes after a long day and all the customers leave unhappy because the cashier/barista would not stop harassing them over the discount card.

On the bright side, if you work at the Customer Service desk, you can learn how to be personable and make a few friends as well as stock some shelves. It's easily the least stressful job in the store, unless you're supposed to do 15 things at once which occurs on a semi-regular basis. It's a thankless job though, considering you're not directly involved with the metrics of the store.

Management in this store is ridiculous to say the least. The first thing the new General Manager did when he got to the store was have a meeting about how everyone was replaceable and we needed to meet metrics. He then proceeded to inform us on how to sell cards and magazines by avoiding pertinent information on how to cancel them and encouraging shady ways to sell customers on them. Epic scams are abundant with this company.

As an added note, the store becomes unbearably hot in the summertime. The A/C can be broken for weeks and there is not a fix for it in sight. I had a customer inform me that the store has been that hot during the summer for over 10 years!

If you are offered a job here, I would seriously consider turning it down. – less
great job
Customer Service Specialist/Book Keeper/ Basrista (Former Employee), joplin, moJune 17, 2014
Pros: laid back environment, family like coworkings. great line of work
Cons: hours
i reccommend this job to anyone, good company. coworkers are all friendly.
Accounts Payable Processor (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 12, 2014
Pros: i liked the work. 401k match. vendor sales.
Cons: low pay raises, communication, health care expensive.
I worked in the corporate office for 4 years. Good environment. Pay raises bad. Small opportunity for advancement. Communication from management to employees was not good.
The HR team that is now in place at the corporate office has been doing a great job of pulling the employees together with events.
Great for book lovers
Barista (Cafe) and Customer Service (Former Employee), Alexandria, LAJune 10, 2014
Pros: fun enviorment to work in
Cons: management
loved working with the general public and serving them I like learning new things so this job was great always had too learn at least three new drinks a month it was fun. the coworkers were great we were all like a big family

1 2 3 4 5

About Books-A-Million

Books-A-Million caters to readers who aren't millionaires. The third-largest US bookseller (behind Amazon and Barnes & Noble) – Read more