Boot Barn

Boot Barn Employee Reviews

can be boring
Team Member (Former Employee), Rosenberg, TXJuly 21, 2015
can be fun at times working around the same demographic people as i am but some of the management and coworkers can be very rude and lazy so you end up doing more unnecessary work other people were supposed to do and seriously dose not pay enough
Productive place to work
Corporate Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Free samples.
Cons: No paid holidays.
Generating, maintaining and following through on all Purchase Orders, including vendor delivery, tickets, samples and warehouse issues.
Responsible for training new employees, providing important information and resources as part of the training procedures.
Support Buyer in unit allocation and PO receiving dates.
Responsible for ordering, tracking and coordinating samples with domestic and international vendors.
Track and provide in-season sales information and reports to help identify new opportunities to increase sales and decrease markdowns.
Support retail stores across the country solve various problems – price discrepancies, returns, transfers, etc.
Amazing work environment
o Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fairfield, CAJune 19, 2015
Pros: Awesome discounts
Cons: Me not being bilingual
I had a great time working at Boot Barn. It was my first time working in retail. I learned a great deal about the retail business. The company overall is fantastic and wonderful to work with.
great for a temporary job, not a career
3rd Key Manager, Sales Associate (Former Employee), californiaJune 10, 2015
Pros: PTO, Benefit packages offered for Full Time employees
Cons: No advancement opportunities, lack of corporate support
I first must say that every store is different and every management team is different so this review is for the west coast territories But, The Company as a whole does not care about it's employees, period. The corporate office needs at least double the staffing to support this growing business. The very high turnover rate in the HR and payroll department trickles down to unsatisfactory care for their employees in the stores.This is Very frustrating for management of the stores and for district management. I personally felt that if you are a hard worker in this company, and your hard work is noticed, you will only be used and not compensated in any positive way. Do not take this job with hopes of advancement or a career. Every single manager that I have come in contact with on a personal level is less than satisfied with their job, which is sad to say.

A typical day for any position in the stores:
Walk in, name tag on and be prepared for work before you clock in. Check the plan of the day (ours was located in the front of the store behind the cash rap) make a notation of your individual and the store sales goals, your department for the day as well as your tasks for the day, your assigned lunch time and break times, and whether or not you have an assigned time at the cash rap. Report to your manager on duty or the department manager and ask if there are any task specifically they need you to work on. Assist customers in your section and add on to every sale (If you are helping a customer with boots, offer boot care, socks, ect) Between Customers you are expected to merchandise – more... your section, greet each customer warmly, keep track of the time to take your lunch and breaks in a timely manner, ect. Very easy part time job for sales associates! Depending on your managers you can love your job or hate it. Base pay for sales associates is minimum wage with the opportunity to earn spiffs which change monthly and vary depending on the individuals sales. Boot care, socks, and most add on's are usually .50 cents each and depending on your personal sales and the individual store traffic spiffs can either positively affect your paycheck or have no affect. Add on's like this and signing up customers for the Rewards program as well as your overall numbers are tracked by the company and more than likely by your management team. it's easy to keep these numbers up. – less
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Turlock, CAJune 9, 2015
fast paced. hands on. very fun! understanding. helpful. gets very busy during the holidays. love this place to work. very nice to employees
Good environment of young people who work well together
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Nacogdoches, TexasJune 4, 2015
While it may not be the most glamourous job, it is not an awful job. Certain corporate policies are slightly out of touch with customers and their needs. This causes some customer service issues on the corporate level. Scheduling and flexibility has also become a big issue.
Great staff and benefits. Strong management team.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Clovis, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Spiffs, benefits, 401k
Cons: schedule, over growth of company
I have learned all about customer service over the past 7 years. Hardest part is the schedule, having 2 young children. Love my coworkers.
good place to work
District Manager (Current Employee), central CaliforniaMay 18, 2015
Pros: great poeple
This job was always very challenging and changed every day. You never knew what was coming your way. The only thing you controlled was your schedule.
The customers make the job enjoyable, especially when they learn something from you.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Rocklin, CAMay 9, 2015
Pros: monthly workman's comp money for pizza
Cons: drama, immaturity, poor communication
There is never a day that goes exactly the same. Sometimes the customers want your help and sometimes they don't. When the customers don't want help you find something to do which is usually freight or cleaning up the store. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to get customers to purchase things they can't afford or don't really need. The most enjoyable is when you get that customer that wants to learn and listen to what you have to say and they take your advise. I enjoy working with people, but the management at this location could use some improvement.
Love being around people.
3rd Key Manager (Former Employee), Farmington, NMMay 2, 2015
Very busy place to work. I learned a lot about boots. The management communication is not that great among one another. Coworkers make the job enjoyable as well as working with the public. The hardest part of the job is the driving time. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference for the company .
Fast paced sales environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Wichita Falls, TXMarch 31, 2015
Cons: Short breaks
A typical day at Boot Barn would include me greeting customers who came into the store and recommending merchandise to them based on their individual requirements. I also provided advice to clients regarding particular products or services along with assisting in the display of merchandise, and maintaining records for inventory control. Very often I handled purchases and accepted payment through cash, check and credit card.
Through working at Boot Barn, I was given the opportunity to work in sales with direct customers for the first time. I learned that I am comfortable being competitive in a work environment, and I became educated on how to discuss products in detail and convert aspects of the products into qualities that the customers were interested in.
The management at Boot Barn was very good about setting goals for the sales team to achieve, which gave us motivation to win. We received different forms of prizes each time we achieved our goals.
My co-workers were mostly college-age students whom I got along with very well. Occasionally there would be one co-worker who slacked and the rest of us would have to pick up their slack to get things done, but I always respectively confronted the employee or our manager about the issue.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with unruly customers, but I learned a lot of patience from dealing with them.
The most enjoyable part of my job was watching happy customers leave the store with an outfit that I knew they loved.
Awful place to work.
3rd Key Holder (Former Employee), Cheyenne, WYMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Discount was decent, but not good enough to be worth the headaches.
Cons: Short breaks (if any) long shifts, nothing to do, managers micromanaged or didn't give any direction and took everything out on the sales personnel, .
A typical day of work began with harassment from management or coworkers. I have worked retail all my life and I have NEVER been so stressed as I was at Boot Barn. I was medically advised to leave, and upon putting my notice in I was harassed by management.
Western Retail
Sales Associate, Customer Service (Former Employee), Temecula, CAMarch 19, 2015
Being a sales associate was fun at Boot Barn. There was never any down time. The days went fast because of this. I also loved being able to listen to country music all day long.
Fun Place to work
MIT (Former Employee), Riverton, WyomingMarch 12, 2015
Pros: discount, co-workers
Cons: short breaks, long hours
FUN AT FIRST BUT THEN TURNS AWFUL: It was a fun place to work. typical day was opening the store, opening up tills, helping customers, putting away clothes and putting away new stock over the course of your shift. District Manager was nice but played favorites and had favorite stores. Liked working with all of my co-workers we had a blast when working together. Only thing I can say is watch your back. My manager was fired 2 weeks before me. I am sure my coworkers and district manager don't like people who actually get the job done and can think for themselves instead of being mindless pawns. How to survive if you need the job? 1.) Save any and all receipts of merchandise you buy. 2.) Don't try to excel at your job. 3.) Be a pawn for the manager/district manager to do with what they wish.4.) Don't get involved with the drama.
Good Luck in applying for Boot Barn
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Baytown, TXFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great management
Cons: work every weekend
Boot Barn is an enjoyable place to work! I learned a lot about western wear products and the management team was absolutely great and understanding, but don't allow horse play so when you come to work...be ready to work!
Overall a very good job
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Irvine, CAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: great discounts. good people.
Cons: compensation not always at market value
I really enjoyed my time at Boot Barn. I was a very hardworking and fast paced environment and many times I did need to work overtime to get the job done. But everybody else was working just as hard. I loved being part of the e commerce team and my co-workers and Managers were right there with us working and making the job fun.
The hardest part of any day was if there was a last minute emergency project and we all had to say late...but we would get it done and save the day. Saving the day was always the best part of the day.
ICS
ICS (Former Employee), Casper, WYFebruary 13, 2015
Was a great company with a lot of potential. I loved the majority of my co-workers, however, the management was poor. Lack of communication in a lot of areas.
Fun, laid back work place
Sales Person / Cashier (Current Employee), Longview, TXJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: hour lunch, not strict
Cons: short breaks, weeekends
Helping and assisting customers and cashiering, how to do layaways, more about boot products. Management is laid back and understanding, the co-workers are easy to work with and helpful. Hardest part of the job in working nights and weekends, and the most enjoyable part is the people
rewarding
Customer Service Specialist (seasonal) (Former Employee), anderson, caJanuary 23, 2015
it was pleasant working at boot barn, my coworkers really appreciated so much of what i did
seasonal Help
Seasonal Sales (Former Employee), Glendale, AZJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: work hours
Working at Boot Barn was okay, it was just something to help pay for Christmas. I would only recommend working at Boot Barn if you like extremely fast paced and stress full environments.
Headquarters