Booz Allen Hamilton Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun place to work!
Recruiter/Recruiting Administrator (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 12, 2017
Excellent place to work. A very friendly environment. Room for growth. Good to build professional relationship. All sorts of social activities. Benefits are great.
Good place to grow and learn
Sr. Associate, Legal and Compliance (Current Employee) –  Mclean, VASeptember 12, 2017
Booz Allen is a good company which rewards people who take the initiative and seek to take on additional responsibilities in their field. The quality of management can be spotty, but leadership eventually
finds a way to reward those who deserve it.
Division spun off
Project Manager - Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 12, 2017
The tech division of Booz was spun off from the core company and I have no idea how it is run now. This website forces you to provide information you do not have.
It's fine - some good, some bad
Associate, Strategic Communications (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 11, 2017
I was lucky to be placed on a good team within Booz Allen - meaning my career manager and other department lead cared about the work we did, and generally cared about their employees. Unfortunately, the business culture is that of a government contractor - they care about your advancement only if it aligns with business opportunities within their team. You'll stay on a project without advancement opportunities for life if you don't advocate for yourself, and if your client doesn't want to pay any more, then you can can also kiss your chances for a raise or promotion goodbye - even if you're a top performer.

AT some point there is an expectation that you spend your freetime working on Booz Allen proposals. I've been asked very directly how much I was going to be online as I was walking out the door for an international vacation. Managers should learn that people are willing to work hard if you give them some time off.

Total time accounting is a joke. You'll put in more than 40 hours, but can only bill for what you can get a charge authorization for. Those trips to accept an award for great performance? Don't consider it a day off because you better be billing.

Not super innovative. The model is to take somethign you do well and just replicate it again and again -sometimes not even changing the proposals at all. Kinda gets old. It's a good place to get some experience, but you'll have to move around the organization to keep growing because the work gets old really quickly.
Pros
Large company, opportunities to build work in areas that interest you, some mobility if you don't like your projects
Cons
All about billing
Booz Allen
Associate/Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2017
Decent work/life balance and great benefits. Good starting salary but raises are minimal and no bonuses. If you are client facing you have very little interaction with Booz Allen staff outside of immediate team.
Professional and educational
Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 8, 2017
BAH has a workforce of very intelligent personnel which are willing to help each other to complete a task. Phone lines are open from the vice president to inline supervisor to help solve an issue or to get advice on completing a task.
Pros
Great Benefits, Room to grow
Cons
Limited in remote work
A pre-eminent firm with high expectations of its professional staff.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 8, 2017
I worked here many years ago, and I'm sure specifics have changed, but it remains a very prestigious organization for a person with a stellar academic record, very strong analytic, writing, and presentation skills, and a desire to serve some of the finest institutions in the U.S. and overseas. The new consultant can expect to work long hours, travel overnight frequently, and face a "two years up or out" policy. From my perspective, I learned almost as much in two years at Booz, Allen as I did in my two years of graduate school. Training was excellent, and performance was often criticized constructively, though sometimes a bit heavy-handedly; a "thick skin" is needed. There was a very competitive mindset, but also a great deal of collegiality. Pay and benefits tend to be excellent, but you work hard for them, and the path to partnership is steep.
Pros
A prestigious job, good pay, great training and opportunities to learn, a chance to work with some really high quality professionals.
Cons
Long hours, overnight travel, considerable stress, "2 years up or out"
Great Company to Work For
Signals Intelligence Analyst/TDNA, STDA INSCOM (Former Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VASeptember 7, 2017
I worked with Booz Allen for about three years and they are a company that truly takes care of their employees. I hope to work for them again in the future.
Networking is Key
Associate /Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 6, 2017
Everyone's experience at BAH is different, but it comes down to the people who are around you. This includes your managers and the people you work with. The connections you make from networking are very important if you plan to have a long and successful career at Booz.
Good for experience
Senior Cyber Privacy and Compliance Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, WASeptember 6, 2017
This job is good to get experience in your career but they do not value their employees with adequate compensation. I am not an entitled person at all but for the amount of work I was doing the pay was not adequate!
Booz Allen became about getting ahead instead of doing a good job
Business Operations /Financial Analyst Lead (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYSeptember 6, 2017
Booz Allen in Rome NY used to be a great place to work until management changed to the current version and then it was all about who could advance and who could help them get ahead, instead of doing the right thing for the client.
Pros
people programs
Cons
management
Some good / some bad
Various Positions Held (Former Employee) –  VariousSeptember 6, 2017
Public company that still operates like a private partnership. Very heirarchical and levels within the orgnization are recognized like stripes on a military uniform.
Pros
Looks good on a resume
Cons
Stressful
Unethical company; extra hours required each week toward corporate affairs
Editor (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 4, 2017
Booz Allen remains the worst defense contracting company I have worked for in 15+ years. Unethical management with favorites and almost a work-until-you-bleed culture with little advancement and compensation for it.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Unethical leadership, required to work over hours, corrupt management
Great company!
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VASeptember 1, 2017
Evolving work-life balance and corporate values are a plus. Great mentoring and leadership is available. Internal training is need to be developed to a greater extent.
Pros
exercising rooms
Great company for work life balance benefits
Associate/Quality Assurance Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 1, 2017
Great company for working moms. Some projects offer the opportunity for telework as part of work life balance. Benefits are great and salaries are competitive.
Booz Allen Hamilton
Sr. Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 31, 2017
Booz Allen has been a very positive experience for me. Everyone that I worked with was kind and supportive.

The only disadvantage is the constant change in projects.
Lots of Career Tools in Place
Associate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 30, 2017
Lots of career advancement tools in place but you don't get the chance to utilize them because work is the bottom line. Client comes first and your work life balance is based on the needs of the client of the firm.
Loved this company!
IT Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 30, 2017
I worked at Booz Allen for 23 years. I left because we lost our contract and there was not a position for me at that time. I would love to go back and work there.
Loyalty to their employees
SIGINT Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDAugust 29, 2017
This is a very good company to work for, they are very loyal to their employee. For example, when a contract is lost the company goes above and beyond to try and place the employee in another contract.
Old dog with no new tricks
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 29, 2017
Booz Allen Hamilton is a storied and accoladed consulting firm with a conservative, business-first orientation. They have retention issues with employees under 35 as a result because the company doesn't invest in anyone under the level of Senior Associate. By that I mean there is no incentive structure, and the PTO, pay, and benefits are not competitive with the modern marketplace and companies interested in attracting and retaining talent.

If I could do it all over again I wouldn't take the job because my professional life has hit a wall as a result.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booz Allen Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.