Booz Allen Hamilton Employee Reviews

great place to learn
MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 23, 2016
its great place to work as we learn a lot in shot time. and we have the opportunity to work with the smartest people.
the only problem there was no work life balance
Pros
learniing
Great first job
Consultant/Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2016
I stayed at Booz Allen for 5 years, and though it had its ups and downs, I feel like I had a great experience and met some wonderful people.

I appreciated having an admin team. My current consulting firm does not have this, and I really liked how your admin team gave you a sense of identity. It also ensured you met people outside of your project.
Fast paced consulting environment. Great starting point for some careers
Engagement Manager - Intern (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 5, 2016
Highly respected public sector consulting firm. The people that I met were very professional and highly competitive, but also very supportive throughout my internship.
Pros
Brand, culture, exposure to public sector opportunities
Cons
Hours, travel
Great Career Support From Management
SharePoint Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCNovember 21, 2016
The fact that each employee is assigned a career manager gives the feeling of being valued and that the firm does care about everyone.
Feels more of a client than employee
Lead Technologist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAAugust 11, 2015
Working client site one often feels more connected to the client than the parent organization. Honestly one has very little idea what corporate "Uncle Booz" is really doing. Benefits are going the wrong direction. There are a number of headwinds for this company.

That being said - finding the right team is achievable. Ones day-to-day activities are relatively enjoyable and the work can be challenging (although there are definitely pigeon holes to avoid). Given a decent manager you can make a difference - but again you're somewhat at the mercy of your managers competency.
Pros
challenging problems, variety of contracts
Cons
Healthcare, confusing advancement process, difficult to move around
Not the same company as it once was.....
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Mclean, VAAugust 29, 2015
The company has changed a tremendous amount since going public. The benefits are now average and the raises are approximately 3% a year.

I get to work with lots of talented people, however, there is a lot of staff transition and retention is low. With shrinking DoD market, BAH is having to put larger work loads on fewer people and there is a lot of people getting burned out.

Overall, I think BAH is as good as the other big consultant companies that focus on the public market - however, we no longer differentiate ourselves as anything special - just on par with the rest.
Pros
it is a job.
Cons
overwokred, low pay raises, lack of investment in their people
Overseas you're on your own
Senior Consultant, Environmental Compliance (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 31, 2016
Pretty much on your own which can be good and bad. Many times in military contracting the contracts are not re-let due to financial constraints at the various service branches not the employee, but the employee was held responsible which makes no sense. It's unfortunate, but its a reality that we have to deal with and putting an onus an employee for something outside of their control and office politicking, should not be condoned.
twelve plus hour work days on a regular basis
Associate Consultant (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 10, 2015
The work hours are excessively long (12 plus hours). All employees are not recognized for their performance. The company runs with a buddy buddy system. Pay is below skill level, and there is no compensation for the excessive hours. The HR department does not follow generally accepted HR processes and procedures; when there is a visible problem, HR will overlook the issue.
Pros
clean environment; great learning programs
Cons
lack of diversity and inclusion; few and long in between promotions for minority employees
Team orientated
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 1, 2016
I loved working there, everyone was very helpful and ready to share their experience and knowledge as needed. I was part of a Great Team. Management was very friendly and approachable. They were always concerned about our professional growth.
Pros
Travel
Professional and quality company.
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 27, 2016
Lot's of room for growth and client interactions / engagement. Excellent management and employee recognition. Overall a highly successful work environment with multiple work opportunities.
GREAT Company!
Staff Technologist (Current Employee) –  Belcamp, MDDecember 14, 2016
Will work anywhere Booz Allen is willing to send me, but I preferably rather be close to family. Booz Allen takes care of the clients' mission and those afforded the opportunity to work with the company in support of our clients.
Pros
Respect for Family and keeping staff employed!
Cons
no sick leave!
Professional environment with highly skilled employees who push each other every da
Decline to answer (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 9, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Booz Allen for 9 years. Lack of advancement was tough, as were the constant reorganizations. However, much was learned during my tenure that has been and will continue to be extremely beneficial to me.
Pros
Type of work, colleagues, ability to work from home/flexibility, most of management, good benefits (although these are being cut similar to other companies in the industry), etc.
Cons
Regular reorgs made it difficult to est/maintain key relationships, affordability makes it difficult for those with superior perf to adv to more sr levels
Nice place to work
Program Management Support Team Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 9, 2016
Have been working at this company for almost 10 years, management's good, and work/life balance is nice at this company.
they suck
Intelligence Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 21, 2016
Do not work here. They are cheap, they expect you to work after client hours for free, they prey on recent college grads and discharged Veterans. Pay them at a cheap rate.
Great bosses, great benefits, great working environment
Associate (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCNovember 14, 2016
BAH is a top tier company to work for. They take care of their employees and rewards are common. They ensure employees are assigned to projects within their abilities and provide outstanding reach-back support for areas they may be weak in. Best company I have ever worked for,
Great company with ample opportunities to develop skills and advance career
Lead Associate (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 24, 2016
Great company with ample opportunities to develop skills and advance career. Best part of the job is working with super smart people.
Not the most inspirational environment
Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 27, 2016
Most people keep their head down and stay in a bubble for the majority of the day. Not a very collaborative environment. Not welcoming whatsoever for a college hire. Severe lack of training during the on boarding process.
Pros
Company name carries a professional weight
Cons
Lack of support and mentorship
From Great to Mediocre
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 24, 2015
The shift from private firm to publicly traded company has decimated this once great company. The focus is no longer "client-centric" but is now "shareholder's best interests". Benefits, pay-raises and promotions have become non-existent. Health-care pays for nothing with high deductibles and high monthly ($400+) monthly premiums. Profit sharing was done away with (10-15% pay cut). No longer a top consulting firm but a dime-a-dozen defense contractor providing butts-in-seats vice solving clients' complex problems.
Pros
At the end of the day, you get to go home
Cons
Poor benefits, lack of client focus, management has no plan
A good place for some personnel to work
Contractor Special Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDDecember 1, 2016
Very fast past in Security. Love the challenge. Need a change and relocation due to family.

Been with Booz for almost 5 years.
Pros
Great people to work for and with
Cons
New category with using too much of your PTO
Productive and fun work place.
Systems Administrator, VA MIS (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDJuly 30, 2016
I have worked for Booz Allen Hamilton for more than 6 years, I have moved from one service to another and thoroughly enjoyed working in each place. My co-workers are easy to work with, and I feel supported by team leads. Each project/contract has been different and helped me learn more. Changing contracts periodically helped me become more adaptable and helped me learn more systems, applications, or languages.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booz Allen Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.