Borgess Medical Center Employee Reviews

Not for me
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 22, 2015
I don't like hospitals. They take advantage of you when you work there. Very little perks and a lot of invested time. You are just a employee.
Borgess is a good company with good benefits
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 16, 2015
Borgess has good quality staff and positive energy, Overall good company and with education and training there is opportunity for advancement
Providing customer service, cleaning
Environmental Services Tech (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 12, 2015
Interacting with different patients on a daily basis is a wonderful experience. Co-workers are awesome. The management could use some work!
Working Third Shift has its perks
Patient Transport (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 2, 2015
Not a bad job. Most people are easy to get along with. My people skills have greatly improved. Late nights get to me sometimes. Plenty of down time to do my school work.
Pros
Easy nights with not too much happening
Cons
Lack of Break on third shift sometimes
I enjoyed working closely with the nurses and doctors.
Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 31, 2015
Since I moved around as a temp I was able to see several different areas of the hospital. I mostly enjoyed working part time in the CI8 Department (Critical Care Intensive 8 Bed Unit). I enjoyed getting to know the Doctors and Nurses and worked well with all of them.
Pros
Working the Day Shift
Cons
Working every other Weekend kept me from seeing my husband.
Horrible place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 9, 2015
Management only cares about their bottom line, not their employees. Management doesn't work with employees who are going through hardships that are affecting their attendance or performance. They are firing good, seasoned employees left and right, and hiring new people who have no idea what they are doing. Staff never has all the equipment and supplies needed to do their jobs properly. Units are understaffed and morale is terrible. This place will suck the life right out of you. That's why it has been given the nickname "Borgatrazz" by it's employees- because it's like going to work in a horrible prison every day.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
managment
Thriving, fun work place, great co-workers
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 28, 2015
Borgess Medical Center was one place I enjoyed going into work. I am a people person. So each day presented an opportunity to see, greet and assist a new person. Each day gave me another chance to make a difference in someone(s) life.
Even though my job was a Patient Care Assistant I was able to perform duties in other areas that I love to do such as secretarial duties and spiritual care assisting. As a young girl I worked at Fontbonne where the Sisters of St Joe reside and I loved working with the nuns. I would learn so much from them every day. I never laughed so much on a job.
At Borgess it was just a larger scale of being at Fontbonne.
Pros
co-workers, patients, skilled I learned
Cons
pay
Behavioral Mental Health
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 24, 2015
Duties include but are not limited to: Direct interaction with and observation of activities and behavior in Behavioral Mental Health Care Unit; documentation of various patient activities; assisting patients with activities of daily living; supervising patients on unit; delegated components of the assessment and discharge process;
dietary assistance; and more.
Job Experience
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 9, 2015
Good company to work for. Lots of training and advancing opportunities in every department with lots of flexibility. Great people to work with many with years of experience in the medical field so you always have an opportunity to learn something new.
Pros
Cons
Low wages
Not a family friendly place to work
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MichiganMay 12, 2015
I like my job, but the company itself isn't very nice to work for. They have taken away our fringe benefits, they don't take into consideration family emergency situations, They don't offer yearly raises, they under staff which makes it hard to preform good patient care. I have learned patience and good customer relations. I preform vital signs, safety checks, keeping a good milieu on the unit, and activities of daily living. I offer advice, and interact diligently with my patients. I love taking care of my patients, and trying to help them through a hard time in their life gives me great satisfaction. The hardest part of my job is trying to deal with angry, upset, violent patients. I feel management isn't really interested in our well being. We get criticized for all the things we might do wrong but never any gratification for going above and beyond our work duties.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
working short
Calm and Relaxed.
Housekeeping & Dietary (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 7, 2015
A typical day at work was very social and It was nice being around people who are determined to help people in need. I learned that you can grow at BMC, regardless of what position you start in.
Pros
Free Drinks throughout the long shifts
Cons
Short breaks
Outstanding employer with quality service
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 22, 2015
Outstanding employer with quality service. Each work day allows employees to display exceptional customer service to internal/external customers.
Good place but needs better management
Food Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 26, 2015
I enjoyed working for Borgess Medical Center in Kalamazoo, but the place needs better management and better scheduling.
Pros
Union and benefits
Cons
poor scheduling and management
working with various professional staff
Patient Care Associate (PCA) - Ortho neuro Rehab (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of readying 15 patients for breakfast. Vital signs were taken, bathroom needs provided, accu-checks for diabetics accomplished and recorded in the computer and reported to nurse if range was not within normal limits, transferring patients to kitchen and assisting where needed in feeding. Assured that all meds were taken by each nurse's patient. Readied patients for their day ahead of physical, occupational, speech therapy. Obtained blood draws as necessary, foley catheter insertions/discharge, wound care. I was very effective in meeting each patient's emotional needs as discouragement in the healing process was very difficult at times. Accurate documentation of any changes was critical and essential for continuous and continuity of care. Attention to detail and trust from fellow employees was a strong suit. I loved this job. I was proficient on Borgess' computer system and guided/trained new employees on this system and job responsibilities. Although my major role was direct health care, I kept my administrative skills sharp and up to date.
Pros
complete job satisfaction
Cons
i really have nothing to say bad about this.
Avoid Working Here Unless You Like Being Lied To
Medical Staff Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 9, 2015
I am unimpressed with my experience here. Not only was I treated badly by a supervisor with a high school like attitude, I was fired after working my tail end off for them. They denied my unemployment I claimed saying that I voluntarily did a bad job. All of this happened after I was told on several occasions that I did a great job for the department I worked for. Nothing about working with Borgess was honest. Their management was a joke and they made me feel like an inadequate employee. I am happy I do not work for this so called Christian entity of a hospital anymore. They are dishonest and I would not recommend a sensitive nice person to even try to apply here.
Used to be fun and something to be proud of. That's changed.
Communications Coordinator / Trainer/ Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 9, 2015
Used to be a Level 1 Trauma Center. Lots of competition for the customer dollars between Bronson and Borgess, located in the same town, so they both were Level 1 for a while. I absolutely LOVED my job. I was very good at it too. Had a great boss and co-workers. Hospital has been deteriorating, downsizing, and losing business due to decreasing quality of patient care. The employees there are very devoted, but they are simply overworked and have no job security. I was a second generation employee, so it's very difficult for me to write this, but it's true. They got rid of my boss and put my department under a different administrator, who does not keep my department as a priority. It's too bad, because we used to really like her. I had a couple of great managers with this company, but the first time I worked for them, they went through "job redesign" and lost all of us through either attrition or we went somewhere else so we didn't have to be stuck doing a job we didn't sign up for. They gave away all of our seniority because the department we "merged" with all had more hospital seniority (our department wasn't that old), so we all got stuck working every weekend and nights patrolling the hospital as security guards. We were all EMT's and Paramedics, not security guards. Oh, and they had us train the security guards to give them our jobs. Unbelievable, huh? Well, it's true. It took about a year to find out that security guards cannot do the jobs of EMT's and Paramedics, so they hired some of us back. It was unreal. Anyway, they hired a new boss for us, took us out from under Security,  more... and we were happy to come back and work. I stayed there until I moved away, and now they've gotten rid of my boss and put my old department under a different umbrella. It's certainly better than before, but the entire hospital is spiraling, I'm afraid. There are still many very good people working there; I sure hope things improve in management before it's too late.  less
Pros
worked with fantastic physicians, co-wokers, medics. good benefits, good pay
Cons
low staffing, no job security
a day at borgess
Head Cashier/Cafeteria (Former Employee) –  kalamazoo miDecember 18, 2014
a day at borgess on a daily base they should hire employes and also they should schedule there workers the right way and treat everyone equal.
Exciting place to work, always something new to learn.
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 16, 2014
I assist caring for patients who have just had general surgery. I assist the nurse with dressing changes, take vitals signs and assist patients with activities of daily living that may be challenging after someone has undergone surgery.
Operations Associate
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 27, 2014
Typical day would be coming in at 7am, turning the phones back on, checking the messages, checking the schedule to make sure all surgeries, were ready for the day. Checking patient's in, and making sure they have done all of their pre op surgery tests. My manger was awesome at this time! Hardest part would have been not so happy patient's sitting and waiting. Again meeting new people would have to be most enjoyable.
Strong leadership that welds a productive team.
Virtual Monitoring Associate/Lead Tech (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 5, 2014
My duties involves making sure the schedule has the proper amount of staffing for day's interests. Help motivate fellow employees to keep a strong team to help each other out. Analyze heart rhythms and call on appropriate changes. Patient service and monitor adjustments for comfort and functionality. Advice others of issues and problem solve.
Pros
being the one that others count on
Cons
i've been on the same team for a decade.