Borgess Medical Center

Borgess Medical Center Employer Reviews

Has potential
Operating Room Registered Nurse (OR RN) (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 3, 2014
Currently under a lot of changes with mid and upper management leaving positions. Biggest battle is with employee moral. Long term employees over 15 to 25+ yrs service relate to significant changes of job satisfaction prior to Ascension Health buyout and convey they now feel like a number vs a valuable employee. Novice department management learning – more... curve in diplomacy and tact with unclear direction placing significant changes in shifts, hours and responsibilities.

Adequate staffing appeared to be an obstacle, relating in last minute mandated hours that often left employees of small children in a scramble for child care pickup at day cares / schools and extended care arrangements. The fall out of this was most significant during the Period of Dec 2013 and the months following when many staff resigned, quit on the spot or transferred to other departments increasing the department stress loads.

One nurse quoted that she felt she was "trying to do her job with one arm tied behind her back".

Increased stresses spilled over to inappropriate behavior, aggression, and attitudes within co workers towards each other and management. Staff lost sight of creating a positive work place to affirm one another, lift each other in skill set and respect. A need for floor management role modeling that embraces respectful integrity and character would more than likely transition a positive outcome in employee satisfaction. It takes a gifted leader to lead.

Every institution has its problems, and Borgess is no exception, the goal is trying to balance providing the resources to do the job without barriers, and maintaining the direction of leadership.

The rewards come in the patients and families -- knowing you provided your best, and did so with a caring heart, and no matter what, you responded with positive character in all you do.

The potential for new blood filling open positions - mid/upper management, as well as floor staff often has the potential to accompany fresh eyes and perspectives for improvement. Gifted leaders can make lemon aid out of lemons, and see hope and strategies in areas broken. – less
Enjoyed working here
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJune 14, 2014
Pros: nursing skill, advancement was easily attained
Cons: turnover of management is difficult
I had so much experience here and enjoy working in a teaching hospital. The physician staff was great.
Very independent environment
Radiographer (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 23, 2014
Well run department. Excellent management skills. Plenty of staff members to accommodate patient flow.
Overall good place to work
Out Patient Coder (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 25, 2014
This was my first job after I graduated from college and got my certification. My co-workers were helpful and I enjoyed my work. I did work with MPRO when I was there.
Good job if you have no life.
Cashier/ food handler (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 13, 2014
Pros: good pay scale
Cons: do the work of two workers, get mandated frequently.
Not enough employees. Employees expected to do two peoples work. Get mandated at least once if not two to three time per pay schedule.
Initial Patient Care
ED Patient Access Associate (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 1, 2014
Pros: benifits, teamwork, earned vacation and personal days
Cons: understaffed
There's a great sense of accomplishment when you're given the opportunity to partake in someones health care!
Very fast paced job
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee), Portage, MIFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: staying very busy
Cons: very short breaks/ sometimes no breaks
A typical day at work consisted of doing vitals on patients, recording vitals in the computer, doing hourly patient checks, and assisting patients with any needs.
Productive for I get to help my community
Patient Financial Advocate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 26, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the patients
Intense, multi-tasking day.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MichiganJanuary 20, 2014
team approach to patient care. However, management (upper level), dont always see what exactley goes on.
10 year crisis patient experience
Security and Safety Specialist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 14, 2014
My job duties included assisting medical staff with crisis patients in the emergency room on on the mental health units. I was responsible for conducting securiy checks on each mental health patient that was registered in the emergecy room as well as administering breath alcohol samples.
very satisifing feeling working for a company where i am able to help people
Patient care technician (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: hours
at Borgess i worked on the surgical care unit where i assisted an RN with patient care
Great group to work with awesome management.
Access Management Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: ability to self manage.
Cons: no breaks. lunches
Great group to work with awesome management. Most enjoyable part of my position was being able to work independently with minimal supervision. (no micromanaging)
Great teaching hospital
RRT (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 19, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: n/a
A great place to work
I learned a lot just coming out of respiratory school. That was the foundation that started me on my career path in respiratory.
Good management
Co-workers were easy to get along with. Great teamwork
Patient outcomes is what I enjoyed most. Seeing patients go home feeling better.
A great place undergoing a massive reorganization
Department Secretary, Room Scheduler (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 23, 2013
Pros: flex time, social perks (tickets to events)
Cons: no development, poor communication within management, taking away benefits, being forced to take time off
My typical day at Borgess is very routine, mail everyday at 9:30a, lunch at 12p, etc. I manage a large variety of high priority reports and organizational standards. I've learned that I am way more capable if doing anything than I have ever imagined. I'm also learning how to really think outside of the box and turn every issue and obstacle as an opportunity – more... for improvement. I have been begging for more development and opportunities to prove what I have but, haven't been awarded such opportunities. My co-workers are currently mostly people who have been with the organization for 10+ years. Just recently within the last 5 years has someone who is in their 20's been hired in my department. They are very routine, they like older processes and the "hard way to do everything". The hardest part of my job is managing expectations, I'm in a current situation of being placed in a very social position but being told to not be so social to certain members of the department. I'm very under utilized which frustrates me. I enjoy my coworkers. However, the most fun part of my job is figuring out a new or better way to complete the monotonous tasks I do every day. – less
Best
Care Center Coordinator/Part-Time (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 23, 2013
This was one of my favs. i looved working with all kinds of people. the staff became family.
Interim/Acting Security Supervisor (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MISeptember 1, 2013
Pros: good communication
Cons: n/a
I have an Associates in Applied Science, Bachelors of Science in Communication, and a Master of Science in Management and Organizational Behavior with special training as an Organizational Development Practitioner from Benedictine University. My current additional training is focused on a PhD in Organizational Development. My anticipated completion – more... date for my PhD in Organizational Development, specializing in innovation and entrepreneurship from the University of the Rockies is 2016.
I have over 10 years of management experience which has provided leadership, managing the day-to-day effective and efficient operation of various organizations and working with the human resource personnel in recruiting, interviewing and evaluating talent planning resources with the intention of assisting upper management to achieve their strategic goals including high-profile organizations such as the Federal Express Corporation. Also, I have several years of experience in the healthcare industry. I have established an experienced a proven success rate in working for the Federal Express Corporation where I have received the second highest quality award within that organization for high productivity. Aithin my current organization, I received three quality awards with the Borgess Medical Center.
Some of my responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
1. Develop appropriate, comprehensive plans and strategies to accomplish goals and objectives. Monitored and adjust when required and communicate well to all parties necessary for successful completion in a timely, coordinated manner.

2. Attend meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences, as needed and approved for professional development and on behalf of organization.

3. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of various departments. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.

4. Assists the upper management with conceptualizing, developing, and implementing good public and community relations.
5. Responsible for development and management of the operational budget.

6. Have some experience with security and safety, and compliance with HIPAA requirements in a medical health organization.
Additionally, I enjoy being a part of a team effort in ensuring the success of an organization by allowing my passion to fuel my extra efforts in making various presentations. I am committed to collaborating with other coworkers in making our organization an outstanding place of employment which focuses its attention on the maintaining of a high retention rate with these employees.
In the future, I hope to be a part of your organization. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. – less
Extremely detailed work environment
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 26, 2013
Pros: most of us worked well together. acquired top-notch organizational skills
Cons: highly stressful and tedious at times
Learned so much. Very detailed work. In the beginning, it was hard to adapt to new things and mgt. Loved that it was part-time since the job could become a serious 'stressor' at times
Not a bad place to work.
Security Specialist (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 24, 2013
Depending on the job that you work in there is a possibility for career advancement but in some of the fields they are just a job not a career. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to help other people being that this is a hospital setting.
Very Professional , Great Staff , Great Management
Environmental Technician/ Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJune 2, 2013
I learned More than they know at this Job Met Great People Made lifelong friendships and appreciated my time there but all good things come to an end. REady for New Oppurtunity to reach a new level.
Supportive environment to grow and learn
Assistant Director- Obstetrics (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 25, 2013
Support systems in place to support personal productivity.