Borgess Medical Center Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working their. Spent 25 years there. Rewarding and challenging work.
Staff, RN (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 9, 2017
Borgess was my favorite place to work especially when I was in the educational department. I enjoyed the working environment, the staff, and the challenge . I loved teaching both the staff and patients, and the activity of the acute medical environment. I found it became a more difficult environment to work when it became unionized and computerized. I left when the work became too hard physically and emotionally to maintain along with family conflicts.
Pros
Great place to work, rewarding and great environment
Cons
became to computerized
Working with the public
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 9, 2017
I enjoy working in the hospital setting. I work closely with a wide variety of individuals, from patients to doctors. I enjoy the fast pace work of our outpatient department. I really get a sense of accomplishment knowing that I have assisted our patients during a vulnerable time.
Relaxed work enviornment
Sleep Technologist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 22, 2017
Enjoy my time at Borgess. Management is great and very helpful. Co-workers are very helpful as well. Patient care is one of the best things about my job. I would highly recommend Borgess to anyone looking for a great career.
Pros
Relaxed work enviornment
Cons
Third shift
Excellent Benefits, Interesting Patients,
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 19, 2017
Can be very hectic and challenging. It is a workplace with many large egos where many are irresponsible, and will lie and cheat to make themselves look good...often at the expense of others. These persons are usually in administration. In contrast, there are also others who strive for perfection, and give their all for patients comfort and well being, most of these, but not all are nurses. A day might have 12 admissions - 8 for scheduled procedures and 4 in the ER, where staff are tense because they also have limited staff, and ambulances that keep rolling in. You may have a resident on the floor who is eager to prove himself to the attending and orders nearly every test known to man, at the expense of the patient, whose insurance may balk at the cost. After you have labored to complete everything, the attending shows up, and has you canceling nearly everything previously ordered. At the end of the day- You leave for home, totally exhausted and oddly satisfied at the same time because of everything you have managed to accomplish...and feeling good for the people you have encountered who are sick, hoping that somehow you have helped them.
Pros
Good Benefits, Some wonderful staff
Cons
Little chance for advancement, Little respect from others... An administrator once said "A trained monkey could do YOUR job"...
High energy, nice place to work
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIMay 1, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Borgess. Ready to expand my knowledge of the medical field. My manager was really nice to work for. Team building and employee interaction was great!
Pros
Family feeling of the group
Cons
Very busy office, time management skills a must.
Good Place to work
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 13, 2017
I enjoy working here. It is a safe environment with good people. They are flexible with students who are in college and they offer both full, part, and PRN positions.
interesting
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 12, 2017
Very fast paced and a good starting point for a career. I have learned a lot of new things about surgery. the culture can be a little abrasive at times and that is also the hardest thing about the job.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
changing very rapidly
Fun to work there as a Volunteer and meet different people with amazing personalities.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 12, 2017
The staff is very supportive and friendly. Working there is an amazing experience as I have developed my patience level, confidence, communication skills. Moreover, I become more matured as a person. The fun part of the job is meeting different people everyday, and helping them to choose the gifts for their loved ones.
I've worked here over a year now
Connective Services (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 11, 2017
I live my job and the flexibility of offers however i need something that compensates more and offers a stable work schedule to be able to attend start school functions with my children
Evs tech
EVS Tech (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 25, 2017
A typical day as an EVS Tech requires you to maintain a clean and sterile environment . I haven't worked for this company in a fe w years but when I did management was good with communication and the work was steady.
Pros
Friendly Colleges and Staff.
Cons
Not any at this time.
Caring employess
Intern in Nuclear Medicine Technology (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 24, 2017
Good place to work, employees genuinely care about patient experience and quality of testing. Great place to learn job skills and experience daily responsibilities.
Encourage and supportive environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 7, 2017
I previously worked in ICU/CI8. Culture of patient centered care with support for staff to learn and grow. A collaborative environment.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
physically demanding
friendly
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 26, 2017
great place to work for advancement ,loved being able to assist helping patients ,flexibility with hours ,busy sometimes hard to get breaks in
A productive and fun workplace.
Nursing Aide/Orderly/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 12, 2017
The job was enjoyable and I learned many ways to comply with patients and what they needed to become independent again. Management staff for the department I worked for was very helpful and understanding with certain issues that happened.
Pros
Learned several new was to communicate with patients, and meeting their needs. their needed while in the hospitals care.
Cons
The health care plans need to be more affordable for low income employees.
Enjoy my co workers
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 18, 2016
I love my job and would not want to work in any other department. My co workers are wonderful and we work very well together. There is nothing typical about my department except we never know what is going to happen, very unpredictable, which is enjoyable to me. The management has been going through changes the last few years and is not working that great with the staff, however, I'm optimistic that it will improve soon. The hardest part of my job is not always having the back up that is needed in emergency situations, however, that is improving as well. The most enjoyable part of my job is taking care of the patients that I have.
Pros
part time hours
Cons
insurance is expensive
a difficult job but great coworkers
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 8, 2016
As a Patient Care Associate you get a lot of hands on time with patients. This can be very rewarding or very taxing depending on the type of patient. You need to be able to think on your feet and manage your time well to be successful at this job.
Hospital
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 2, 2016
The teamwork was one of the better reasons for working in that type of an environment. I worked in behavior medicine which is one my passions within healthcare. The team work at Borgess was amazing, especially for the patients. The most enjoyable parts of my job would be the interaction with the patients.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
non-union
Fun and easy going,
DIETARY AIDE (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 16, 2016
This place was my actual first job located in michigan. This is was the job I got into after graduating high school. Helped the seniors with their medication, prepped their breakfast lunch and dinner. Love it here but had to move to philadelphia for a better life with my family.
Pros
Hour lunch break, Paid time off, Paid vacation
Cons
Moved away, Left michigan to philadelphia
it pays
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN CERTIFIED AND LICENSED (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 16, 2016
The one place I have worked the longest and it started out fun, and I learned a lot from the people around me. Times change and the place is completely different from my start dates, but the people have changed the most and not really for the best.
Pros
Cons
short breaks if you even get one, or a lunch as long as the work is done they don't seem to care if you get your time
reprocessing aide
Reprocessing aide (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 15, 2016
cleaning and serializing of all instruments used in surgery. organizing case carts for surgeries for the next day or emergency surgeries. i learned alot at this job. communicating with the OR making sure they have all instruments needed for their day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Borgess Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval