Borgess Medical Center

Borgess Medical Center Employee Reviews

Behavioral Mental Health
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 24, 2015
Duties include but are not limited to: Direct interaction with and observation of activities and behavior in Behavioral Mental Health Care Unit; documentation of various patient activities; assisting patients with activities of daily living; supervising patients on unit; delegated components of the assessment and discharge process;
dietary assistance; and more.
Job Experience
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 9, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Low wages
Good company to work for. Lots of training and advancing opportunities in every department with lots of flexibility. Great people to work with many with years of experience in the medical field so you always have an opportunity to learn something new.
Not a family friendly place to work
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MichiganMay 12, 2015
Pros: Paid time off
Cons: working short
I like my job, but the company itself isn't very nice to work for. They have taken away our fringe benefits, they don't take into consideration family emergency situations, They don't offer yearly raises, they under staff which makes it hard to preform good patient care. I have learned patience and good customer relations. I preform vital signs, safety checks, keeping a good milieu on the unit, and activities of daily living. I offer advice, and interact diligently with my patients. I love taking care of my patients, and trying to help them through a hard time in their life gives me great satisfaction. The hardest part of my job is trying to deal with angry, upset, violent patients. I feel management isn't really interested in our well being. We get criticized for all the things we might do wrong but never any gratification for going above and beyond our work duties.
Calm and Relaxed.
Housekeeping & Dietary (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 7, 2015
Pros: Free Drinks throughout the long shifts
Cons: Short breaks
A typical day at work was very social and It was nice being around people who are determined to help people in need. I learned that you can grow at BMC, regardless of what position you start in.
Outstanding employer with quality service
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 22, 2015
Outstanding employer with quality service. Each work day allows employees to display exceptional customer service to internal/external customers.
Good place but needs better management
Food Service Associate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Union and benefits
Cons: poor scheduling and management
I enjoyed working for Borgess Medical Center in Kalamazoo, but the place needs better management and better scheduling.
working with various professional staff
Patient Care Associate (PCA) - Ortho neuro Rehab (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: complete job satisfaction
Cons: i really have nothing to say bad about this.
A typical day of work consisted of readying 15 patients for breakfast. Vital signs were taken, bathroom needs provided, accu-checks for diabetics accomplished and recorded in the computer and reported to nurse if range was not within normal limits, transferring patients to kitchen and assisting where needed in feeding. Assured that all meds were taken by each nurse's patient. Readied patients for their day ahead of physical, occupational, speech therapy. Obtained blood draws as necessary, foley catheter insertions/discharge, wound care. I was very effective in meeting each patient's emotional needs as discouragement in the healing process was very difficult at times. Accurate documentation of any changes was critical and essential for continuous and continuity of care. Attention to detail and trust from fellow employees was a strong suit. I loved this job. I was proficient on Borgess' computer system and guided/trained new employees on this system and job responsibilities. Although my major role was direct health care, I kept my administrative skills sharp and up to date.
Avoid Working Here Unless You Like Being Lied To
Medical Staff Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 9, 2015
I am unimpressed with my experience here. Not only was I treated badly by a supervisor with a high school like attitude, I was fired after working my tail end off for them. They denied my unemployment I claimed saying that I voluntarily did a bad job. All of this happened after I was told on several occasions that I did a great job for the department I worked for. Nothing about working with Borgess was honest. Their management was a joke and they made me feel like an inadequate employee. I am happy I do not work for this so called Christian entity of a hospital anymore. They are dishonest and I would not recommend a sensitive nice person to even try to apply here.
Used to be fun and something to be proud of. That's changed.
Communications Coordinator / Trainer/ Specialist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: worked with fantastic physicians, co-wokers, medics. good benefits, good pay
Cons: low staffing, no job security
Used to be a Level 1 Trauma Center. Lots of competition for the customer dollars between Bronson and Borgess, located in the same town, so they both were Level 1 for a while. I absolutely LOVED my job. I was very good at it too. Had a great boss and co-workers. Hospital has been deteriorating, downsizing, and losing business due to decreasing quality of patient care. The employees there are very devoted, but they are simply overworked and have no job security. I was a second generation employee, so it's very difficult for me to write this, but it's true. They got rid of my boss and put my department under a different administrator, who does not keep my department as a priority. It's too bad, because we used to really like her. I had a couple of great managers with this company, but the first time I worked for them, they went through "job redesign" and lost all of us through either attrition or we went somewhere else so we didn't have to be stuck doing a job we didn't sign up for. They gave away all of our seniority because the department we "merged" with all had more hospital seniority (our department wasn't that old), so we all got stuck working every weekend and nights patrolling the hospital as security guards. We were all EMT's and Paramedics, not security guards. Oh, and they had us train the security guards to give them our jobs. Unbelievable, huh? Well, it's true. It took about a year to find out that security guards cannot do the jobs of EMT's and Paramedics, so they hired some of us back. It was unreal. Anyway, they hired a new boss for us, took us out from under Security, and we were happy to come back and work. I stayed there until I moved away, and now they've gotten rid of my boss and put my old department under a different umbrella. It's certainly better than before, but the entire hospital is spiraling, I'm afraid. There are still many very good people working there; I sure hope things improve in management before it's too late.
a day at borgess
Head Cashier/Cafeteria (Former Employee), kalamazoo miDecember 18, 2014
a day at borgess on a daily base they should hire employes and also they should schedule there workers the right way and treat everyone equal.
Exciting place to work, always something new to learn.
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 16, 2014
I assist caring for patients who have just had general surgery. I assist the nurse with dressing changes, take vitals signs and assist patients with activities of daily living that may be challenging after someone has undergone surgery.
Operations Associate
Customer Service (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 27, 2014
Typical day would be coming in at 7am, turning the phones back on, checking the messages, checking the schedule to make sure all surgeries, were ready for the day. Checking patient's in, and making sure they have done all of their pre op surgery tests. My manger was awesome at this time! Hardest part would have been not so happy patient's sitting and waiting. Again meeting new people would have to be most enjoyable.
Strong leadership that welds a productive team.
Virtual Monitoring Associate/Lead Tech (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 5, 2014
Pros: being the one that others count on
Cons: i've been on the same team for a decade.
My duties involves making sure the schedule has the proper amount of staffing for day's interests. Help motivate fellow employees to keep a strong team to help each other out. Analyze heart rhythms and call on appropriate changes. Patient service and monitor adjustments for comfort and functionality. Advice others of issues and problem solve.
The team i work with is light hearted and fun to work with
Info Teck Educator (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 7, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: my company sold use to borgess
I would start my day at 6am I restart servers and then I check my schedule and see where I am teaching today. About 630 boss come in and the next person not tell 730. I would do research anything that might come up in class and make sure paperwork is done. By 8am I am teaching and then if I can have lunch with co-workers. I go back to teach or desk time until 4 if not later because of class.
Has potential
Operating Room Registered Nurse (OR RN) (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 3, 2014
Currently under a lot of changes with mid and upper management leaving positions. Biggest battle is with employee moral. Long term employees over 15 to 25+ yrs service relate to significant changes of job satisfaction prior to Ascension Health buyout and convey they now feel like a number vs a valuable employee. Novice department management learning curve in diplomacy and tact with unclear direction placing significant changes in shifts, hours and responsibilities.

Adequate staffing appeared to be an obstacle, relating in last minute mandated hours that often left employees of small children in a scramble for child care pickup at day cares / schools and extended care arrangements. The fall out of this was most significant during the Period of Dec 2013 and the months following when many staff resigned, quit on the spot or transferred to other departments increasing the department stress loads.

One nurse quoted that she felt she was "trying to do her job with one arm tied behind her back".

Increased stresses spilled over to inappropriate behavior, aggression, and attitudes within co workers towards each other and management. Staff lost sight of creating a positive work place to affirm one another, lift each other in skill set and respect. A need for floor management role modeling that embraces respectful integrity and character would more than likely transition a positive outcome in employee satisfaction. It takes a gifted leader to lead.

Every institution has its problems, and Borgess is no exception, the goal is trying to balance providing the resources to do the job without – more... barriers, and maintaining the direction of leadership.

The rewards come in the patients and families -- knowing you provided your best, and did so with a caring heart, and no matter what, you responded with positive character in all you do.

The potential for new blood filling open positions - mid/upper management, as well as floor staff often has the potential to accompany fresh eyes and perspectives for improvement. Gifted leaders can make lemon aid out of lemons, and see hope and strategies in areas broken. – less
Enjoyed working here
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJune 14, 2014
Pros: nursing skill, advancement was easily attained
Cons: turnover of management is difficult
I had so much experience here and enjoy working in a teaching hospital. The physician staff was great.
Very independent environment
Radiographer (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 23, 2014
Well run department. Excellent management skills. Plenty of staff members to accommodate patient flow.
Overall good place to work
Out Patient Coder (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 25, 2014
This was my first job after I graduated from college and got my certification. My co-workers were helpful and I enjoyed my work. I did work with MPRO when I was there.
Good job if you have no life.
Cashier/ food handler (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 13, 2014
Pros: good pay scale
Cons: do the work of two workers, get mandated frequently.
Not enough employees. Employees expected to do two peoples work. Get mandated at least once if not two to three time per pay schedule.
Initial Patient Care
ED Patient Access Associate (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 1, 2014
Pros: benifits, teamwork, earned vacation and personal days
Cons: understaffed
There's a great sense of accomplishment when you're given the opportunity to partake in someones health care!

1 2 3