Borgess Medical Center

Borgess Medical Center Employer Reviews

Avoid Working Here Unless You Like Being Lied To
Medical Staff Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 9, 2015
I am unimpressed with my experience here. Not only was I treated badly by a supervisor with a high school like attitude, I was fired after working my tail end off for them. They denied my unemployment I claimed saying that I voluntarily did a bad job. All of this happened after I was told on several occasions that I did a great job for the department I worked for. Nothing about working with Borgess was honest. Their management was a joke and they made me feel like an inadequate employee. I am happy I do not work for this so called Christian entity of a hospital anymore. They are dishonest and I would not recommend a sensitive nice person to even try to apply here.
Used to be fun and something to be proud of. That's changed.
Communications Coordinator / Trainer/ Specialist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: worked with fantastic physicians, co-wokers, medics. good benefits, good pay
Cons: low staffing, no job security
Used to be a Level 1 Trauma Center. Lots of competition for the customer dollars between Bronson and Borgess, located in the same town, so they both were Level 1 for a while. I absolutely LOVED my job. I was very good at it too. Had a great boss and co-workers. Hospital has been deteriorating, downsizing, and losing business due to decreasing quality of patient care. The employees there are very devoted, but they are simply overworked and have no job security. I was a second generation employee, so it's very difficult for me to write this, but it's true. They got rid of my boss and put my department under a different administrator, who does not keep my department as a priority. It's too bad, because we used to really like her. I had a couple of great managers with this company, but the first time I worked for them, they went through "job redesign" and lost all of us through either attrition or we went somewhere else so we didn't have to be stuck doing a job we didn't sign up for. They gave away all of our seniority because the department we "merged" with all had more hospital seniority (our department wasn't that old), so we all got stuck working every weekend and nights patrolling the hospital as security guards. We were all EMT's and Paramedics, not security guards. Oh, and they had us train the security guards to give them our jobs. Unbelievable, huh? Well, it's true. It took about a year to find out that security guards cannot do the jobs of EMT's and Paramedics, so they hired some of us back. It was unreal. Anyway, they hired a new boss for us, took us out from under Security, and we were happy to come back and work. I stayed there until I moved away, and now they've gotten rid of my boss and put my old department under a different umbrella. It's certainly better than before, but the entire hospital is spiraling, I'm afraid. There are still many very good people working there; I sure hope things improve in management before it's too late.
a day at borgess
Head Cashier/Cafeteria (Former Employee), kalamazoo miDecember 18, 2014
a day at borgess on a daily base they should hire employes and also they should schedule there workers the right way and treat everyone equal.
Exciting place to work, always something new to learn.
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 16, 2014
I assist caring for patients who have just had general surgery. I assist the nurse with dressing changes, take vitals signs and assist patients with activities of daily living that may be challenging after someone has undergone surgery.
Operations Associate
Customer Service (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 27, 2014
Typical day would be coming in at 7am, turning the phones back on, checking the messages, checking the schedule to make sure all surgeries, were ready for the day. Checking patient's in, and making sure they have done all of their pre op surgery tests. My manger was awesome at this time! Hardest part would have been not so happy patient's sitting and waiting. Again meeting new people would have to be most enjoyable.
Strong leadership that welds a productive team.
Virtual Monitoring Associate/Lead Tech (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 5, 2014
Pros: being the one that others count on
Cons: i've been on the same team for a decade.
My duties involves making sure the schedule has the proper amount of staffing for day's interests. Help motivate fellow employees to keep a strong team to help each other out. Analyze heart rhythms and call on appropriate changes. Patient service and monitor adjustments for comfort and functionality. Advice others of issues and problem solve.
The team i work with is light hearted and fun to work with
Info Teck Educator (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 7, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: my company sold use to borgess
I would start my day at 6am I restart servers and then I check my schedule and see where I am teaching today. About 630 boss come in and the next person not tell 730. I would do research anything that might come up in class and make sure paperwork is done. By 8am I am teaching and then if I can have lunch with co-workers. I go back to teach or desk time until 4 if not later because of class.
Has potential
Operating Room Registered Nurse (OR RN) (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 3, 2014
Currently under a lot of changes with mid and upper management leaving positions. Biggest battle is with employee moral. Long term employees over 15 to 25+ yrs service relate to significant changes of job satisfaction prior to Ascension Health buyout and convey they now feel like a number vs a valuable employee. Novice department management learning curve in diplomacy and tact with unclear direction placing significant changes in shifts, hours and responsibilities.

Adequate staffing appeared to be an obstacle, relating in last minute mandated hours that often left employees of small children in a scramble for child care pickup at day cares / schools and extended care arrangements. The fall out of this was most significant during the Period of Dec 2013 and the months following when many staff resigned, quit on the spot or transferred to other departments increasing the department stress loads.

One nurse quoted that she felt she was "trying to do her job with one arm tied behind her back".

Increased stresses spilled over to inappropriate behavior, aggression, and attitudes within co workers towards each other and management. Staff lost sight of creating a positive work place to affirm one another, lift each other in skill set and respect. A need for floor management role modeling that embraces respectful integrity and character would more than likely transition a positive outcome in employee satisfaction. It takes a gifted leader to lead.

Every institution has its problems, and Borgess is no exception, the goal is trying to balance providing the resources to do the job without – more... barriers, and maintaining the direction of leadership.

The rewards come in the patients and families -- knowing you provided your best, and did so with a caring heart, and no matter what, you responded with positive character in all you do.

The potential for new blood filling open positions - mid/upper management, as well as floor staff often has the potential to accompany fresh eyes and perspectives for improvement. Gifted leaders can make lemon aid out of lemons, and see hope and strategies in areas broken. – less
Enjoyed working here
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJune 14, 2014
Pros: nursing skill, advancement was easily attained
Cons: turnover of management is difficult
I had so much experience here and enjoy working in a teaching hospital. The physician staff was great.
Very independent environment
Radiographer (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 23, 2014
Well run department. Excellent management skills. Plenty of staff members to accommodate patient flow.
Overall good place to work
Out Patient Coder (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIApril 25, 2014
This was my first job after I graduated from college and got my certification. My co-workers were helpful and I enjoyed my work. I did work with MPRO when I was there.
Good job if you have no life.
Cashier/ food handler (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 13, 2014
Pros: good pay scale
Cons: do the work of two workers, get mandated frequently.
Not enough employees. Employees expected to do two peoples work. Get mandated at least once if not two to three time per pay schedule.
Initial Patient Care
ED Patient Access Associate (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMarch 1, 2014
Pros: benifits, teamwork, earned vacation and personal days
Cons: understaffed
There's a great sense of accomplishment when you're given the opportunity to partake in someones health care!
Very fast paced job
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee), Portage, MIFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: staying very busy
Cons: very short breaks/ sometimes no breaks
A typical day at work consisted of doing vitals on patients, recording vitals in the computer, doing hourly patient checks, and assisting patients with any needs.
Productive for I get to help my community
Patient Financial Advocate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 26, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the patients
Intense, multi-tasking day.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MichiganJanuary 20, 2014
team approach to patient care. However, management (upper level), dont always see what exactley goes on.
10 year crisis patient experience
Security and Safety Specialist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 14, 2014
My job duties included assisting medical staff with crisis patients in the emergency room on on the mental health units. I was responsible for conducting securiy checks on each mental health patient that was registered in the emergecy room as well as administering breath alcohol samples.
very satisifing feeling working for a company where i am able to help people
Patient care technician (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: hours
at Borgess i worked on the surgical care unit where i assisted an RN with patient care
Great group to work with awesome management.
Access Management Assistant (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: ability to self manage.
Cons: no breaks. lunches
Great group to work with awesome management. Most enjoyable part of my position was being able to work independently with minimal supervision. (no micromanaging)
Great teaching hospital
RRT (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 19, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: n/a
A great place to work
I learned a lot just coming out of respiratory school. That was the foundation that started me on my career path in respiratory.
Good management
Co-workers were easy to get along with. Great teamwork
Patient outcomes is what I enjoyed most. Seeing patients go home feeling better.

1 2 3