Borough of Manhattan Community College

Borough of Manhattan Community College Employer Reviews

Fast paced environment
General Office Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 19, 2015
The Borough of Manhattan Community College work place is very fast paced due to working with students. Every day there is something new to learn as deadlines at the school are consistently changing therefore one must have a lot of patience. Being here has taught me a lot about the education system which I thoroughly enjoyed because it helps me with my studies as well as how to effectively get things done such as paperwork.
work in the school
Students Aide (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 19, 2015
actually my first job so far, worked in the school is fun, easy to helped students out, also improved my personal communication skills.
Excellent college with brilliant academic professors.
College Assistance/Science Tutor (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: tutoring students wanting an indepth understanding of science.
Cons: part-time employment.
Wonderful staff and tutors who always make students academic learning a priority. Students will receive an excellent education in their selected majors and transfer to most four-year colleges with ease.
Helping Others Build Independence.
Adjunct Professor - Speech (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 2, 2015
Great rewarding experience. I am able to work with students from various walks of life.
Challenging environment that requires a individualized response for each problem.
ASAP Database Coordinator (Full-Time) (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 23, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, friendly environment, supporting students
Cons: constant changes in administration and policies
My weekday beings at 11:00 am and I start by checking in with the office assistant for any new tasks that were assigned. I then proceed to log on to the various database that I used to track and report data. In doing so, I verify that all connections are working and the integrity of the data stored in the database. Any paperwork or forms on my desk are immediately sorted into order of importance and entered into the appropriate database. During the course of the day I assist other staff members with reports, queries, or other issues relation to students. In addition, I also provided lunch relief for the office assistant, thus my duties change to answering phone calls and scheduling appointment for multiple staff members.

During the weekend I served as the office assistant and database coordination. My duties are the same as listed above and require a higher level of multitasking. I manage the workload by creating lists with all of task I must complete by the end of the weekend.
Ok work environment no room for advacement
Assistant Purchasing Agent (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 20, 2014
Work environment is ok and pleasant. Just no chance of advancement within this particular college must look elsewhere.
employed at Borough of Manhattan Community College
Office Assistant (Former Employee), new york,nyAugust 18, 2014
helping students to assist for advisement, helping with contacting the professors, answering phones, running errands. i work alone but had help in the office. i was the only office assistant there, the enjoyable part was helping students with any issues or concers regarding the professors or classes.
HRA liasion office support
Office Support (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 17, 2014
working with the public was challenging at times, as well as, working with management was also challenging at times
Great but only in the short term
College Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 8, 2014
Pros: lunch hour, flexibility, work environment, job security, fringe benefits
Cons: management, advancement, compensation, many unqualified workers.
CUNY and BMCC specifically will provide with a good preview of what a professional environment is supposed to look like. However, management for individual offices is horrible and advancement is strongly related to what degrees you have, regardless of skills. It may be frustrating to deal with screaming students at times but you will definitely get a good look at a very diverse customer (student) base.
Fun working place
Software Developer (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 16, 2014
Learning C# web application
Not hard of this job
Fixable working hours
Part time weekend position
Instructor (Current Employee), Stamford, CTMay 11, 2014
I enjoy teaching on the weekends. I am looking for a full time Mo-Fri position.
Clerical worker (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 7, 2014
Pros: work-study
Cons: low pay
i like this job because it is getting me back in the work place. it is a very productive place to work and the people are great.
A place to learn, & move up the ladder
ACT Testing Site Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 25, 2014
Pros: they are able to keep you on the job even if your dept was being downsize
BMCC was a wonderful place to work at, even when my department had closed they did not release me from employment they put me in another department, where I was able to continue utilizing my skills.
It is a great environment to work in.
College Assistant - Office of Student Affairs (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 26, 2014
Usually busy during the regular semester.
This job requires wide variety of duties and responsibilities. For example, I collected and entered confidential student data, generated and prepared reports, maintained and tabulated statistical data for several student databases.
I supervised work-study students and other staff on a rotating basis.
The hardest part of my job is being absent since i work directly with the Vice President.
The most enjoyable part of this job is that i work with a diverse population of students.
Assisted Faculty and Students
Computer Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: customer services
Cons: standing all day
setup computer labs
assisted everyone: students, staff, faculty, co-workers
meeting everyone
Interesting experience
Admin Asst. & Employment Specialist Asst. (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: studying where i worked.
Cons: blackout periods
A day in college life varied from quiet to lots of issues to resolve. We provided students with information and overall assisted in anything from Financial Aid preparation, Academic Advisement and Employment Assistance.

It was a truly educational experience because, in addition to assisting students in various capacities, I also pursued and received my Associates at the same time.

Management was good and my co-workers were easy going and we worked well together.

Hardest part of the job was what was called blackout periods, this was the time when open houses and semesters were starting everyone had to be at work no vacation or day off unless it was an emergency.

Most enjoyable was Summer time work schedule, it was only four days a week giving three day weekends
Friendly environment
Assistant Purchasing Agent (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 22, 2014
Employees feel safe and secure in their positions, and the job life span for multiple employees is over 20 years. Proving a secure work environment.
Great Programs, Multi Cultural and Interesting
Program Manager Allied Health Unit (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: meet different people each day
Cons: work long hours
Work long hours, different cultures within students and staff.
Productive and fun working place.
Conference Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: have the opportunity to meet alot of important people, professors whom you can keep a good contanct with.
Cons: do not get alot of hours.
Loved my boss. She was so helpful. She helped me with school work when she had the chance and taught me how to professionally work with people and students. I learned more and more everyday as I watched her advised students day in and out in her office.
CUNY what a place for the short term
Civil Service CUNY Office Assistant- Purchasing (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 3, 2013
Pros: unionized, healthcare, civil service benefits, its a paid job
Cons: petty office politics, poor policies or lack of hard cioy policy - verbal policy manking, not common to get raises/higher pay at start off
If you are looking for something to cover five years or less then this is your company.
If you are looking for a fight every time you turn around this is the place for you.
if budget cuts, over worked employees and under paid/appreciated is how you like to be then CUNY is the company for you

1 2 3