Borough of Manhattan Community College Employee Reviews in United States

BMCC has great staff and a good working environment.
Adult Educator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2016
Working at BMCC is an exciting opportunity to help students achieve their goals. Co-workers are supportive and friendly. Supervisors are available to help and direct staff to helpful sites if they cannot give the correct answers. BMCC is a great place to work, but unfortunately there is not much room for growth. Since I recently completed a Master's degree I have love the opportunity to grow and develop.
There is no hard part of this job at the moment. The most enjoyable part is helping the students.
Pros
Flexibility, excellent people and staff development.
Cons
Not too much room for growth in terms of advancement and salary.
Enjoy the job, not the pay
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 13, 2015
Adjuncting is one of the most exploitative jobs possible. You will never be able to get full time. You get paid per teaching hour but spend many, many more hours outside the classroom doing work. You will make less than minimum wage this way. Some of the students have no respect for you. Others really learn and grow. It is a good temporary gig. Some people get stuck with it life-long, supplementing it with being a waiter/waitress or proofreading. There are no benefits and you wait every semester to find out if you've even got classes or not (a.k.a no job security). I did this during the gap year between my master's and Ph.D. which was fine, but I would never consider it for a real career.
Pros
co-workers are friendly, smart, and have similar interests
Cons
paid less than minimum wage, no security, no benefits
Productive and fun place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 14, 2016
A typical day at work means high volume and high demand for our services. The students are always pleased with the customer service as well as whomever is trying to reach the area. My co-workers were all respectful and kind as well as management. The hardest part is leaving work! It's always so much fun and there's tons to do so there's never a day where you're bored.
my review of BMCC
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 30, 2016
My review of working at BMCC is as follows:

I started my day at work by going to roll-call. We were informed of any trespasses or anyone out for arrest. I managed an information book that described what I did every hour of my work hours. Also, I patrolled the interior and exterior of the school. If there were any problems I would alert my supervisor or take initiative if safe to do so.
Pros
allowance for uniforms, network with many other peace officers
Cons
short breaks
Very great place to work
Official Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2016
Enjoyed a lot to work with students and professors. Learned a lot from them helping them with their official works like, files, data entry, and answering phone calls & also probably sometime help students running their computer without any issue.
People are really nice over there and had a lot fun at work. We were working with team and I was one of them.
Fun, creative, learning environment
Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2015
The media department was always about learning how to work with new equipment. When arriving you talked to the manger in charge then given different tasks to complete by the end of the day. While working on various digital, computer and video tasked you were allowed to interact with managers. They encourage you to ask questions and learn how to improve and grow with given tasks. The managers were amazing and helpful. It was a wonderful experience to work with talented people that enjoyed working in the media field. The passion and education this department gives out is what made the job an abundant experience.
Pros
Wonderful Staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Lively, constructive and result driven work place
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2016
It is a lively place with, a regular in person, by email and over the phone, interactions with students. The daily work is not of routine. Each student file is special and different from the others.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Part time paradise
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 29, 2016
Perfect job for student attending college. Library located inside college so it easy commute to class. And what better place to get homework done during your break then the library ?
Rewarding trainng program
Direct Care Counselor Training Program/Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2016
Rewarding program as far as working with consumers. The training program was very good and showed me the sky is the limit.
Great place to start your career and grow.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  New YorkMay 28, 2013
At Borough of Manhattan Community College/EOC I was able to develop my skills with the supervision and mentorship of my supervisor Ms. Walida Najeeullah she is a wonderful leader in Staff Development. I was not only able to sharpen my skills as an office support staff but I was developed to interact with higher ups such as Executive Directors and other Coordinators. I am now able to identify my skills such as procurement, operations and logistics, research or resourceful, implement and execute. Working with my co-workers is a great experience also, there are others who is willing to work together and that's a plus. The hardest part of the job is to meet the dead lines of certain project with little time given. My most enjoyable part is when the deadline is met and I see the finishing project.
Pros
free tuition, promotions.
Cons
low salary and your kept hired if their is still a budget
Nice job, nice collegue
Tutor, Mathematics Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2015
I worked there as math tutor. The supervisor in there are good. It's a good job that I can help other students in BMCC to improve their math class and also I can make some money to support myself.
Great but only in the short term
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2014
CUNY and BMCC specifically will provide with a good preview of what a professional environment is supposed to look like. However, management for individual offices is horrible and advancement is strongly related to what degrees you have, regardless of skills. It may be frustrating to deal with screaming students at times but you will definitely get a good look at a very diverse customer (student) base.
Pros
lunch hour, flexibility, work environment, job security, fringe benefits
Cons
management, advancement, compensation, many unqualified workers.
Part Time employment as Math Tutor/Student Leader employee/Mentor
MATH TUTOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2015
As an employee working the math lab, I enjoy tutoring,guiding students with troubleshoot their math problems so they may solve and understand their problems themselves.

With this employment I ware many hats: as a mentor , tutor, student leader to mention a few.

I also enjoy tutoring math with students for U.M.L.A. in learning resource center: I tutor, mentor, where hats to tutor math to males to also help in building there self-esteam and other such as mentioned task done in math lab above. In L.R.C the tutoring is more private and less stressful for the males to learn.

I enjoy helping others.
Pros
Every time I help students, it helps me be mor current on my math skill and able to learn an handle new math problems.
Cons
No health care, don't know work schedule until two weeks before, too little pay for tutors.travel time to get to job limits time I would like to work longer hours.
Creative
Student Government Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2015
Opportunity to work with an organization who are focus on assist students needs
Creating poster, scheduling events, sponsoring club events
Pros
very productive group, very fun environment, alot of networking
the is the horrible place to work
Service Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2015
This is a place to people who want to build on their job experience and skills. Low moral, low pay, poor management. No vision and/or direction.
CUNY what a place for the short term
Civil Service CUNY Office Assistant- Purchasing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2013
If you are looking for something to cover five years or less then this is your company.
If you are looking for a fight every time you turn around this is the place for you.
if budget cuts, over worked employees and under paid/appreciated is how you like to be then CUNY is the company for you
Pros
unionized, healthcare, civil service benefits, its a paid job
Cons
petty office politics, poor policies or lack of hard cioy policy - verbal policy manking, not common to get raises/higher pay at start off
Working at BMCC
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 15, 2015
Overall, working at Borough of Manhattan College has been a rewarding experience and it has taught me many skills as well as personal development of myself. I do look to continue to build upon my skill set and eventually venture into bigger waters. BMCC is preparing me well for this journey.
Quiet space to work in with a lot of freedom, students make you enjoy your job more.
Speech Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2013
A typical day at work for me would be me sitting at my assigned table from 3-8 pm, I would ususally get at least 6-7 students each day I work, working with them as a group and some individually. I learned that everyone has different ways of understanding things, not everyone uses the same techniques. I also learned how to manage my time so I am always on time for work. My co-workers were very helpful to me, sometimes when they had no students and I had a lot they would come to my table and help me and I would do the same for them. The hardest part of the job would be sitting at the table for long periods with nothing to do, learning how to find something to occupy me. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am finish tutoring a student and they thank me for my help with a smile on their face, and come back to me and tell me how well they did. That is the best part of my job, the feeling of helping someone.
Pros
helping students daily, breaks, co workers
Cons
no benefits, work space
School days
OFFICE ASSISTANT/ TUTOR/ NOTE TAKER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2015
I actually attended the school while working as a college assistant. I enjoyed the convenience but did not feel i had enough hours. Management was very helpful but coworkers were mostly students who did not take the position seriously. My most rewarding experience was tutoring and mentoring students whose grades improved drastically. The hardest part was the short hours.
What i Learned
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2015
I started working with work study program then i was a volunteer and after been a volunteer they hired me to work with Cunyfirst. After working with cunyfirst they gave the opportunity to work at the Call Center and later work with Welcome Center, i leaned a lot about the step a student need to take in order to enroll into the college example about Financial Aid,Registrar office,Admission office etc.
Pros
great opportunity to grow, gain experience, meet great people, be able to help.
Cons
few hours during summer and winter semester.