Borough of Manhattan Community College Employee Reviews

Productive and a great networking community
College Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2018
A day on the job is talking and communicating with 100s of students.
Networking. Helping others. Where I work is in a college in the Department of Student Activities. The culture in this department is fun and also always busy. I am meeting a new person everyday.
Productive and FUN
Enrollment contact center Agent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2017
Great place for gaining experience. Productive and Fun. Supervisor is very good and got to meet with lots of new people. Everyone is friendly and not much stress.
Great environment
Clerical assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 23, 2017
I was working there while I was in school. Work study gives you the opportunity to work and afford little things you like. I don't know about other department.
College/Scholarship Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2017
BMCC provided a stepping stone for many a student and junior staff member who wanted to "graduate" to something more adult. The college is ideal for students who are doing their Associates degree and these students seem to be younger.
Pros
Great foundation
a day at bmcc
Custodian (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2017
first you clock in
go get ya bin and supplies
go to your floor (mines is 4)
clean 18 classrooms
5 offices
library and quite study
pull all trash in hallways
compact trash
Cons
break to short
challenging
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2017
Work with students with different kind of need to provide help and comfort to them. expose to different culture and engage in activities it is always good feeling to learn something new.
Very fun and fair.work place.
Custodial Assistant (Former Employee) –  199 chambers st. New york city 10007October 18, 2017
I would recommend anyone to work for borough of Manhattan community college it was very helpful in my life and career. It taught me the value of the work field and gave me great work experience.
Great Learning Experience
Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2017
The college was very independent. The staff in the media department was very hands on when helping me learn about the equipment I would be handling. I would always love going onsite to assist my manger in her daily duties. The daily duties included cover shoots for classes and programs the college offered. I would assist with camera equipment. I enjoyed my work days.
Program coordinator
TEST PREP COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
It has been very difficult to work in an educational institution where it seems as if educating students is not the primary goal. The most enjoyable part of the job has been the position itself. I love managing the program. However, there is a lack of concern among all levels of supervision about the program, and thus the program, and I, get very little support.
Pros
little oversight
Cons
overall, administration systems are problematic
It is what you make it.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 26, 2017
Working here is great because you make it what it is. As long as you show respect, courtesy, and gratitude; you will/would be rewarded in that manner.
internship
Office Intern -Office for Students (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2017
i did an internship at one of their offices, doing general office work and learning about workplace. i helped other students, learned new things and it was a fun learning experience.
Productive and fun work place
Professor's Assistant on Excel Workshop (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2017
I had temporary job with professor with whom I took few classes before. During this workshops I was able not only to strengthen my Excel skill but also learn many new functions. It was fruitful experience for me.
Stressful Environment
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2017
Fellow employees and Management were nice to work with but it was poorly ran, most of us agreed that we were underpaid. Especially people that where expert in the field. There were no viable positions where you can be promoted in several years or decaded. Some people worked at the same position they first started in and been there for about 10 years.
Pros
Job experience, learned more about tech field and added to my skills
Cons
Less hours, underpaid, poorly managed.
productive work environment
Teacher's Aid (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 4, 2017
I was a teacher aid for two years. I found this job through the school's work study program. it was fun working with small children, ages 2-6. I learned how to communicate with children in ways that they understand, I was taught how to make lesson plans, how to set up a class room, how to observe and watch for certain signs that may or may not be harmful to the child. The hardest part of the job was leaving class and rushing to work, being that it was a work study program I would set my hours to work right after my class ended. The best part of this job was working with children from different cultures and races.
Pros
the head teachers were always willing to teach me things that i didn't know
Cons
there was no cons that i can think of
A stepping stone to achievement
Senior Agent/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2017
I started there when another job did not work well. Management is nice and the culture is comfortable. The pay is fine but considering that it is a part-time position and no room to promotion, you cannot stay longer.
productive
Custodial Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2017
It can be busy at times but once you learn the details of your assignment its pretty simple and good. I've learned how to use multiple machines and was properly trained on all of them.
its ok
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2017
it is a nice multicultural atmosphere, I have ben working for 2 years now and I like it, I wish to have a full time though. BMCC it is a great school that give opportunities to minorieties
Love it
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2017
Love working as a college assistant in the Bursars office, it's such a different environment for me, I've never worked in an office before but working here showed me how much hard work I need to be prepared for when I want to start my own business.
A great experience with younger students as well as elders.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 5, 2017
A typical day at this job required me to come in on time, that being at 9am. I'd sit with my student who I tutor and we'd go over what he/she learned throughout the week in either math or science class. Then after creating a summary, we'd go over the factors that were difficult in understanding. Then I'd dissect each problem and teach my student how to go about solving the issue or understanding the concept. Once we were done going over each, I'd test my student or ask him/her to rephrase or explain what I said in his/her own words. This would go on for about 2-3 or until my students understood the issues they had trouble with in class.
Pros
As I taught my students, my mind also became sharper and I remember important concepts for my own classes.
Cons
Short breaks, students have different learning styles
A very productive and fun workplace with lots of very well educated and informative staff.
Writing Assistant and Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2017
The workload isn't overwhelming if you're able to tend to the needs of a few students at once. The schedules are also negotiable with the coordinator at the beginning of the semester. The job does require a strong understanding of the English language, and an ability to explain the grammar in an understandable way, that isn't confusing to the students with the most minimal knowledge of writing and reading. Also, an ability to figure out what each individual student is actually struggling with is very useful; although, this skill can sometimes be developed while gaining experience.
Pros
The scheduleing may allow for you to have another job or attend school
Cons
The compensation isn't very heigh.