Borough of Manhattan Community College Employee Reviews

Workstudy program at BMCC .
Clerical - Delivery (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 23, 2016
Working at BMCC was great , I met people from all kinds of walks in life and the job taught me how to scan packages. Along with being able to balance my classes and social life . I would recommend anyone that signs up for college to join the Work Study Program and embrace that new experience. you won't regret it
Pros
great pay rate, short hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
lots of walking, short lunch break
good
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2016
would advice to take the city exams this will make your permanent . Must work part time for awhile before your even considered full time employee . If a student good
Many of the students are inadequately prepared to do college-level work. Their writing, reading and critical thinking skills are poor.
Adjunct Lecturer, English (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 5, 2016
Class sizes for English Composition classes are far too high at 29. It is not possible to do any kind of in-depth work with that many students when many of them should still be in remedial level courses.
Good place for a career start
Disability Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2016
BMCC was a good place to start a professional career. You can learn a lot to bring to other places, but I have also seen colleagues from other institutions take jobs there to work with the diverse student population.
Pros
summer fridays were usually off
Cons
location is great - right near the water and west-side highway
Productive and fun workplace
Adjunct Professor, Corrections (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2016
Highly recommended environment where professors and students learn from one another with different perspectives and diverse backgrounds.

Great experience for those interested in teaching.
An opportunity to get foot in the door.
Work Study Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2016
Well this was a chance to get my foot in the door to find and learn about how the benefits learning from school to get new connection towards a career.
Pros
Convenient, diverse environment, and doing homework friendly.
Cons
Less pay, less work, and no challenges.
Wonderful Place to Work at
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2016
Staff are great, you gain lots of experience in your area of study. Opportunity to develop your skills as a professional worker, peaceful environment and very culturally diverse population.
Pros
Hours are flexible
Cons
Micromanaged
Productive and fun work place
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2016
What I liked about attending borough of manhattan community college is that I was able to work and go to school at the same time which worked best for my schedule
Pros
Reading free books
Cons
Not enough hours
productive
C.O.P.E. Program Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2016
A typical day at this job was meeting and greeting students. answering phone calls and doing errands for my supervisor as well as for my director. Handling files of all the students in the school who were affiliated with our program, and assigning students to the job specialist and supervisors for financial aid assistance.
Pros
potential to grow in the job
Cons
not enough pay
Great mission to work for
Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2016
Management at the time was very good and competent. Salary structures are too low for New York City. School has a lot of potential.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2016
A typical day at work would involve me answering the phone and making sure everything was in order. I would assist students in helping them locate their proffessor when needed. I would type in data into the computer system. The staff in this department is very friendly and overall my coworkers were a joy to work with. There really wasnt anything difficult about my job, the most enjoyable part of the day was assisting students because I am a charismatic person
Pros
I leanrned the basics of office work
Cons
I had to leave because I graduated the institution
lot of standing. No
Campus Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2016
I worked there from 2009-2010, at the time i was only getting payed $10.00 and they are hiring now. Pay rate is $11.53. They start you as part-time. Had fun but had to move on withmore money elsewhere.
Pros
Part-time
Cons
No money, no good increase. Bad union.
receiving clerk
Receiving and Store Clerk / Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 10, 2016
i enjoyed working here while i was at BMCC working as a workstudy student , i enjoyed working with all my coworkers , boss and supervisor . the job is pretty easy once you get used to doing it and you get to know the staff and where everything is in the school while doing this job.
Very tight nit staff
Emergency Medical Technician (BLS) Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2016
The staff is like family which makes the job very easy to do. Smooth work days due to the rest of the staff. Up to date equipment for hands on training.
my review of BMCC
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 30, 2016
My review of working at BMCC is as follows:

I started my day at work by going to roll-call. We were informed of any trespasses or anyone out for arrest. I managed an information book that described what I did every hour of my work hours. Also, I patrolled the interior and exterior of the school. If there were any problems I would alert my supervisor or take initiative if safe to do so.
Pros
allowance for uniforms, network with many other peace officers
Cons
short breaks
Lively, constructive and result driven work place
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2016
It is a lively place with, a regular in person, by email and over the phone, interactions with students. The daily work is not of routine. Each student file is special and different from the others.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Part time paradise
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 29, 2016
Perfect job for student attending college. Library located inside college so it easy commute to class. And what better place to get homework done during your break then the library ?
Rewarding trainng program
Direct Care Counselor Training Program/Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2016
Rewarding program as far as working with consumers. The training program was very good and showed me the sky is the limit.
Very great place to work
Official Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2016
Enjoyed a lot to work with students and professors. Learned a lot from them helping them with their official works like, files, data entry, and answering phone calls & also probably sometime help students running their computer without any issue.
People are really nice over there and had a lot fun at work. We were working with team and I was one of them.
Productive and fun place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 14, 2016
A typical day at work means high volume and high demand for our services. The students are always pleased with the customer service as well as whomever is trying to reach the area. My co-workers were all respectful and kind as well as management. The hardest part is leaving work! It's always so much fun and there's tons to do so there's never a day where you're bored.