BOS Solutions Employee Reviews in United States

BOS Solutions: Redefining favoritism
Field Technician IV (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, PAJanuary 22, 2016
Good pay and they give you a company truck. However, the truck is their baby. They make-love to their trucks apparently. They kiss them goodnight before bed by GPS tracking them in real-time, tracking every little move you make, as if you were a terrorist. I understand their reason since they're paying the insurance on the vehicle, but it gets extreme/ridiculous sometimes. They have the trucks on a time-curfew and you have to call your daddy (the supervisor) if you are taking it out before/after the curfew. The truck is a nice perk, but they need to chill out. It's the fastest way to get fired. There are some co-workers who were irresponsible, so the answer to that isn't micro-managing and vexing all of your employees, the answer is that some people shouldn't have got hired in the first place, but that ultimately falls upon management to a certain extent, and of course, like anywhere, they'll never admit to that. When the company first started, you could get your buddies in. No background screening if you knew the right people, so is it a surprise that some people had an unsavory work ethic? --or a criminal record?

Pros: They train you to be the best at your job, IF you want it. (there were some lazy people cross shift of you that could make your life a nightmare. So if you were lucky, and had a good three man rotation, life was great at BOS. They also have arguably the best equipment (when it's serviced - remember what I said above about lazy people cross shift from you?...) I learned so much about solids control, as well as the overall drilling operation, that I was confident
  more... in my knowledge to become a consultant shortly after working for BOS, so for that much, I am grateful for my time with this company.

Cons: Nepotism, favoritism for promotions, regardless of knowledge or quality of performance, political back-stabbing at all levels. Some degree of immaturity scattered throughout.

Overall, the company was arguably the best job I ever had, when it first started. I sincerely LOVED my job. I would commonly work my week off because the pay was just that good and the job was great. And management left you alone and trusted their employees to get the job done. They also trusted their employees to call/escalate to supervisors when necessary. The DM sincerely cared about his employees, and it showed by his actions, so we worked extra hard for him as a sign of mutual respect. He was also open to letting the technicians implement new strategies on the fly, and if successful, became the new SOP, thus mitigating down time and increasing efficacy. They paid their employees top rate in the market. The fuel card, company phone, and truck was great until certain field technicians had to ruin it for everyone else. (Think back to what I said about some people should have never been hired in the first place). Over the years at this company, you could clearly see a declivity in career satisfaction from the time when the first district manager that left Canada to start that Smithfield office, to the time after his leaving for Texas, and hence, people were put into management positions based on political affiliation by their boss, through favoritism, not always by merit, knowledge, or performance. This caused a ripple effect, and consequently, the general consensus from all the employees eventually was that it has dissolved from the former company that it once was, and it is not a great place to work now. It's a shame, because it really was such a great place to work at one time.
Pros
Top rate of pay, company truck, fuel card, company phone
Cons
Micromanaging the company truck, favoritism, nepotism, current lack of promotion for great performance on the job.
Poor management, liars, not afraid to sellout their morals for a buck!!
Corp. Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 30, 2015
Stay away from this company at all cost. they do not care about their employees or their customers. The Board of Directors of this company should be ashamed of themselves.
Pros
Cons
Liars, liars, liars!
great oppitunity and work great pay
Solids control technician (Former Employee) –  Mandan, NDDecember 30, 2015
The people that I worked with were great to work around but management need to train people better before sending out into the field because it was a two man job and when something went wrong both guys had to be out there on site and a lot of time with no sleep and had to pull a lot of hours. but over all learned a great deal of experience on the job.
Pros
poeple, pay and good experience good benifits
Cons
long time away from family
Good pedigree
Lead Closed Loop Operator (Former Employee) –  PASeptember 10, 2015
BOS was an awesome place to work but of course once certain people in the office get replaced it falls off. Life work balance is difficult. You get a week to catch up on your personal life before you are sucked back into the drama of work life
Pros
good money
Cons
clueless office, all responsibility is on you
Only care about the bottom line
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  CO,WY,UT,ND,TX,NMSeptember 2, 2015
I worked for BOS for almost 5 years and enjoyed my job.That being said they don't care about their employees at all. When the oilfield slowed down I was laid off without notice and it was like I never worked there before. No one said thanks for your time here or anything. You are constantly passed over for positions if you don't kiss your supervisors butt. It's a huge buddy system there. They do have the best equipment in the industry, but not good management at all.
Pros
Best equipment, cool coworkers, good pay
Cons
management, buddy system, we are just a number.
Good company
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Rio Vista, TXAugust 19, 2015
Loved this company just wish had more family time and more work. They stopped giving raises because oil field was going under so I ended up laid off.
Great place for pay, bad for no home life
Solids Control Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 4, 2015
Was thrown to the wolfes, made it out in the end. Great pay and plenty of hours to go around, if you're willing to fill your life with oil field work. Best oil field company for solids control, etc. Have worked rigside before but prefer solids control, esp. Bos Solutions.
Pros
Great Pay, benefits, opportunities, entry level ops
Cons
Bad home life. Home like 4-6 days a week, not inlcuding travel
good place to work
Field tech/mentor/troubleshooter (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJuly 14, 2015
was a better co. in the beginning got worse as time went on. still one of the best solids control co. out there. good benefits and pay
Pros
co truck
Cons
you are just a number
was a good place to work
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Rio Vista, TXJuly 6, 2015
a lot of travel back and forth to the rig , co workers were fun to work with you learn what it takes to drill for oil hardest part is leaving your family for two weeks at a time
challenging work day in and out. never knew what to expect on a daily basis
Level 3 feild tech. (Former Employee) –  Jal, NMMay 17, 2015
i learned to always get along with the people you work with and always have good communication about the job at hand. became very familiar with safety procedures and how to work in a safe manner. the hardest part about the job was only being home about 6 days a month and not being able to see family.
Pros
good money
Cons
never home
would be a good career if oil wasnt so volatile
Field Service Hand (Former Employee) –  Rio Vista, TXMay 11, 2015
typical day was around 13 hrs
learned a lot about drilling
hardest part of the job was being away from home a lot
best thing was working with my hands and making good money doing it.
Pros
work truck
Cons
away from home too much
good place to work
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 27, 2015
laid back easy work guys were cool but there is a buddy (brother) system had good benefits offered for the employee though
Pros
laid back
Cons
management
great pay, but dirty noisy working conditions
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDApril 1, 2015
long working hours, in extremely dirty condition, in all kinds of extreme weather conditions, from -38 below zero to sweltering heat and humidity
Pros
great pay
Cons
long work days and long periods away from home
Good place for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Rio Vista, TXMarch 22, 2015
Working with Field Supervisors to ensure daily required reports were completed for the customer and the company. Creating all delivery tickets to submit to the customer for signature and sending them to billing for payment. Meeting with supervisor's ensuring we are following all HSE requirements to keep out hands safe and equipment. Taking multiple calls from equipment operators and helping them trouble shoot problems over the phone. Responsible for all logistics when moving equipment on and off customer locations. Meeting with vendors to ensure they meet all company and customer requirements.
Pros
advancement
Cons
we had ample training at the eo level but not enough training at management level
Good money but management puts you in unsafe situations
Solids Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Mandan, NDMarch 7, 2015
The job was great . The supervisors are lazy and have no sense of leadership . Most of the techs were really cool and easy to work with . The rest were lazy pigs . The contractors BOS hired were mutants that took up space and got in the way of good techs trying to get the job done . 20 and 10 schedule was perfect in my opinion . If you got put on a good rig life was good . If you got put on a bad rig you were left for dead .
Pros
Company truck, pay, benefits
Cons
Lack of Management, Safety is a joke, Supervisors
ehh
Solids Control Technician Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Rio Vista, TxFebruary 26, 2015
ehhh the management was poor good money if you worked a lot of hours I think other districts were better from what ive heard but I got experience that's what counts I guess.
good paying job
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  west txFebruary 16, 2015
good paying company but did not care for employees and did not promote properly.
they promoted the lazy workers and kept the hard workers in the field
Tough, but fair
Solids Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 7, 2015
Typical day you will be on your feet all or most of your 12 hour shift, you will be mixing chemical and balancing the exchange of water to and from the rig while drilling ahead. The best/worst part of the job is the same thing; you work alone, no supervisor, no other coworkers, just you. It can be overwhelming when things breakdown, it also allows you to manage your day as you see fit, as long as you meet the needs of the rig.
Pros
good $, great healthcare, company truck
Cons
work alone, weather always a factor, safety first (laughable)
Ok Work Environment
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Rio Vista, TXJanuary 8, 2015
Overall good company, but lacks support in the area I am currently working in. It is very difficult to get needed tools and other equipment needed to perform the job correctly and inexperienced supervisor.
Cons
inexperienced supervisor
productive place to work. excellent compensation
Lead Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, PANovember 2, 2014
Bos is a good company to work for. The balance between career and home life can be difficult. compensated very well for the work being done. The only issue I have is that the company doesn't follow through with many of its promises. mostly referring to raises and promotions.
Pros
salary and benefits including a work truck and gas card
Cons
very long hours. very little home life. promotions and raises

2.3