Bose

Bose Employee Reviews

A unique communal environment with many interesting products
Reliability Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJanuary 20, 2015
Bose was a very interesting place to work with cool products and testing methods. I was involved with reliability engineering which left me working with an array of different Bose products, and since I am a huge fan of Bose, I was very happy to do so. Also, working with so many different products gave me great insight to many different design techniques that go into different sized and priced devices. The job also taught me about statistical significance and how many products needed to be tested to be proven reliable. In terms of the working environment, Dr. Bose had many great ideas about how his company should operate including no eating food at your desk. This promoted togetherness in the workplace which I believe is a fantastic and rewarding ideal. The main task that I was left with was to work with an associate to design a programmable motor controlled cable insertion machine that could plug in a cable thousands of times without a human having do it themselves. This job pushed my design experience to new levels and taught me a ton about motor control options. I finished the cable insertion machine by the end of the term and could not be more happy with it. I was ecstatic to be able to leave to job with a tool that could save time, money, and sanity as pushing a cable in and out of a connector is a hellish task.
Pros
cool work, great community
Cons
some reliability testing can be extremely repetitive
FUN WORKPLACE , but did not know how to pay the Sales Dept.
Direct Market Representative - Outbound Telesales (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAAugust 13, 2012
I loved working at Bose, it was such a well known name and for a sales person brand recognition is golden! The only problem was the had too many mid managers , and they had too much time on their hands. Instead of acknowledging that ,and saving the companies$$, by getting rid of a few. They decided to change the pay structure and in effect cut my salary in half I had to leave because for me to be a motivated sales rep I could not work there anymore. It really was a shame !
I learned alot at Bose , they had a great lead and sales system. however, they were run like a manufacturing company , that was a drawback , measured everything online . If you were not in your seat and working 6 minutes after you were scheduled you got a warning after 2 x's. Too many engineers and not enough flexibility for outbound sales reps.
Pros
massages in the holiday period, lots of parties and gifts for sales
Cons
you never could take your spouse, even to holiday parties., they let go a lot of managers that were very good and kept those that were like moles., it really changed the entire atmosphere. tried to sell a pay cut as a good thing?
Busy call center with a great cafateria
Technical Representative (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAOctober 7, 2015
Bose was an overall decent place to work in my opinion. The hours that were given for the job was a night shift and was very hard to get the morning shifts. The only way you were able to get a morning shift is if somebody quit or was fired, and even at that there was a list of over 500 CSR in line for those shifts. Don't get me wrong though It wasn't that bad for the most part the supervisors were very friendly and wanted you to learn and succeed. But in a huge company like Bose who has millions of customers and generated close to 3 billion dollars in 2014 and has roughly 10,000 employees, they have a very busy seasons Which last about 7 months solidly in a call center atmosphere that supports every product they make roughly over 300. point being a company this big hires about 100 CSRs for their busy season and then they slowly lay off 90 of those employees and only keep 10, and those ten they keep are all based on the amount of dollars they sell to a customer Per call interaction.
Pros
Great cafateria
Cons
healthcare
Fun environment with amazing products.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAAugust 23, 2013
I worked in a call center as a customer service representative. Normal hours from 10 am. to 8 pm. with half hour lunch.
Here I learned how to use a different method of verbal communication with our customers. I've learned how to use programs such as SAP, Siebel, properly use Outlook, and some others.
My co-workers were a professional but fun bunch. We worked hard everyday but also kept a fun and friendly environment for everyone.
Hardest part of the job was getting restless at times from sitting for hours on the phones. I'm always on the move and I like to accomplish a task to move on to the other. Which is why I still work at Old Navy in shipping and receiving to balance it out.
Here is what I enjoyed; Being able to solve problems from customers everyday, selling a product I actually enjoy myself, and knowing I can trust my supervisors to assist with any issue I cannot resolve on my own. Having a different challenge is something I love to obtain in my workplace.
Pros
contests to win free products
Cons
short breaks after sitting for too long.
Very well-meaning overall, but stuck in old practices
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 20, 2015
Bose is an excellent company to learn quality product sales, clienteling, customer engagement and process management. Unfortunately the company is stuck in old ways of doing business, and without a radical shift in the mind of management, will wither and die on the vine.

Senior Management is painfully slow - Byzantine even - in responding to trends, feedback and changes in demographic. Even with the introduction and championing of an employee-facing idea-submission forum, not enough emphasis and encouragement was put on the field employees, and no sense of urgency was imposed on corporate implementers to ensure meaningful submissions or follow through.

Another downfall is that while (and because) job security is so good that managers are reticent to terminate even in the face of abysmal job performance, there is little to no room for advancement. Some Store Managers who have been ready for multi-unit or district management for the better part of a decade have nowhere to go as there is almost no movement, and thus stagnation of positions and ideas.
Very fast paced environment, managing multiple projects at once
TRAFFIC COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAJune 17, 2014
A typical day is spent juggling over 80+ projects and managing the schedules, workflow and milestones of each team assigned. I learned to multi-task very quickly and jump from project to project, which all run on different timelines, and be able to focus on the project at hand. Management is very supportive and strives to help their direct hires succeed. They immediately elevate issues that need further action to help alleviate the day to day process. My department at Bose is very team oriented and creative, so my co-workers are very much in a team mindset that makes working with them pleasurable and fun. You can always reach out for backup or help and expect quality support. The hardest part of my job is addressing unprogressive client feedback, and curveballs thrown into already scoped projects. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great creative people and seeing a project through from conception to production.
Pros
flexible work schedule, ex: work from home when needed
One of the better retail positions a person can get into
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 23, 2013
A day of work for me usually starts with helping out customers or looking over the store for changes/things I could clean depending on how busy we are. The majority of the day I would make sure customers are getting helped and informed about Bose products and accessories. When customers are ready to purchase we clerk for them and thank them from their time. When closing for the evening shifts we vacuum the carpet as well as swiffer and turn of the lights and systems off. I learned about about how to not just talk about Bose products but to also be confident and speak with confidence when selling products and giving solutions to customers. I also learned a lot from the management them there and really felt that they value the people that work with them and want us to excel as much as they want to excel. My coworkers were excellent and knew how to sell as well as how to give advice and put as much effort into helping me as much as they own endeavors.
Pros
good helpful people to work with and good coverage
Cons
late hours, holiday schedule shifts
Great Company but Little Focus on Talent
N/A (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsDecember 1, 2014
Managerially, little to no time is spent guiding employees, or explaining day-to-day expectations. Exposure to other departments is discouraged. The most difficult part of the job is learning the overall business objectives and getting a clear picture of metrics because the data is not intuitive. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with global partners and discovering opportunities for improvement overseas. Overall opinion is that the company has grown so rapidly over the past several years that all focus is spent on action items and keeping up with the growth. In the meantime, the small-company mentality still remains where employees are stretched thin beyond their means without any direction. This may be a department-centric problem, however. It is unclear if this is the case across the company.
Pros
overall company seems engaged, holiday shutdown for a week, hired talent is good
Cons
no direction, lack of communication, little interest from mgmt, lack of teamwork, little room for growth
A great place to learn
Lead Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 17, 2013
This was a great company to work for. I learned allot about dealing with people. They compensated their sales people very well monetarily with bonuses and product. This is not a place for the shy. You will need to be outgoing and somewhat of an extrovert to be successful here. This was one of the best companies i ever worked for! The only reason for my leaving was personal conflicts with my manager who i had worked with for aprox. 12 years. One of the only draw backs was the location. There is not much turn over in this company, allot of the employee moved up or to other stores that were in near by cities, unfortunately the Las Vegas locations were limited. In the time i was there had only been two promotion opportunities available unless i wanted to move out of the state. Overall i loved this company, i learned allot, i got to play with cool stuff in a fun enriching environment but sometimes you do have to move on.
Great place to work if you love quality sound
Lead Demonstration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJuly 20, 2014
I really loved working for Bose. I thoroughly enjoy all genres of music and getting to hear fantastic music on great audio systems was awesome. This was a retail sales position so everyday we spent telling customers all about our products and how these products would benefit them in their homes. I started as a demonstration specialist and was promoted to an assistant manager position. I enjoyed training, coaching and developing my team. I learned a great deal about different sales tactics during my employment. Sometimes the most difficult part of the job was trying to prevent a customer from returning a product. Often times if I could not save the sale I would try to find a more appropriate product for them. Overall an excellent place to work.
Pros
quality sound, great deals on bose equipment
Cons
not commission, team goal team bonus so if someone wasn't selling whole team suffered

Want to know more about Bose?

Ask a question
Great company with terrible management!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaJuly 10, 2014
My experience with Bose was one of polar opposites. The company and culture are fantastic. Unfortunately the sales leadership is so lacking that it made my experience more of a nightmare than a dream job. Our District Manager would lead through intimidation and fear. When he would visit the store he brought with him such a negative attitude and presence that it would literally make my team ill. Bose if your going to have a sales manager it is imperative that he be able to sell. This manager couldn't sell an umbrella in a rain storm. It seems that because he has been with the company so long that they felt that they had no other choice than to put him in the DM role, hoping he would do the least amount of damage in that role. With sales managers like this around I would highly suggest that you reevaluate consider using employment with Bose.
Pros
innovation and products
Cons
sales management and lack of leadership support
A Tribute to Dr. Bose
SENIOR LEARNING & OD CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAMay 16, 2015
I was fortunate to work for a company whose founder created an amazing opportunity for me and my family. He gave up the opportunity to go public and make billions for sake of maintaining his vision for the company. And who does not like Bose products!

True to his vision for employees developing to their highest potential, this was a major reason for my choice to remain with Bose. The breadth and depth of new knowledge acquired, skills developed and experience was amazing. My value add increased tremendously as a result.

There are so many talented individuals who work there and at all levels. It is fun working with colleagues and leaders who want to succeed, but not at the expense of people.
Pros
Brand name, Company Image, Dedication to Employees, WOW Products, Colleagues, Leadership
Cons
Stronger Competition, Adapting to new marketplace
bose
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Blythewood, SCDecember 20, 2013
Providing outstanding customer service to customers by maintaining attention to detail and completing assigned work in a timely manner.
- Loading, unloading, sorting, staging and transporting products.
- Picking inventory from stock locations to fill production or customer orders.
- Record products being placed into or picked from inventory using standard formats or bar code readers.
- Checking incoming and outgoing invoices for inventory accuracy.
- Using computer to enter/upload data and produce reports.
- Operating forklift, electric pallet jack or other machinery.
- Additional duties as assigned by Randstad Inhouse Services Supervisor.
- Intermittent periods of continuous physical exertion such as walking, standing, stooping, climbing, and lifting up to 50lbs of materials or equipment, some of which may be awkward.
Good place to work,and understanding for family and employees
material handler/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Hillsdale, MIOctober 1, 2012
Working at Bose was very enjoyable, it was my second family when i was away from home. Everyone had a great sence of humor. Teamwork was great, when someone was falling behind someone was there to lend a helping hand. Month-end was the hardest, getting workorders balance, and getting cycle counts done before month-end, and turn into accounting, that was my monkey on my back. I had 3 supervisors I worked under and they were the best,it was easily to talk to them and that makes the job enjoyable. Managment gave there employees many opportunity to learn,they would pay for our education as long as we kept a certain G.P.A..
The hardest part of my job was when the plant announce they were closing the doors within a year.
Top Notch
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 17, 2012
I can't speak highly enough about what it's like to work for Bose. Rarely will you ever find another company that's so genuinely dedicated to the professional and personal development of it's employees, delivering a unique and high-class customer service experience, and the highest quality products in their industry. I miss working for Bose each and every day. The most enjoyable part of the job is the look on customer's faces when you deliver them that WOW experience they can't get anywhere else. The hardest part of the job is delivering your script in a unique and passionate way each and every time. Management is completely in tune with all aspects of the company, from the very top to the very bottom.
Pros
benefits, dedication to employees and customers, great products, great discount.
Cons
none.
Smells like Team Spirit
Sales and Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MADecember 28, 2013
Working as a Customer Service Representative through Bose's Seasonal program was second to none. It was an excellent environment for personal growth because of a management team that is truly industry best. One-on-one interfacing made sure that each member of the team was inspired to achieve amazing results. Although it takes dedication and hard work, this challenging environment is very rewarding and develops technical and interpersonal skills like no other company I've had the privilege of working for.
I developed life-long friendships and had the honor of making people smile on the telephone by delivering the Bose standard of quality service to many people.
Pros
management team and training program that is dedicated to your success
Cons
some late night hours are challenging
Great place to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MANovember 19, 2015
The Management was very supportive & helpful. There was always someone willing to assist if help was needed. Everyone from the top of the ladder to the bottom was very friendly. I learned so much information in the short amount of time that I was there. The typical day there was different each time. One day it could be busy with none stop with calls and other days would be so quiet. The quiet days were the best , it gave the opportunity to learn from each other and my colleagues on their calls and how to best manage certain situations. The hardest part of the job was when it ended, due to it was contractual position. I met so many people that I befriended and still keep in contact with.
Pros
Everything was great ...
Cons
I have nothing bad to say
Fantastic Place for Retail
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 13, 2015
Working with Bose I manage to meet several hundred people that come into the store to look at our products. I would educate, excite and sell products to our potential customers. Management is understanding and they're looking out for our best interest. I've learned to take ownership of the company with our essence and values, and even lead my team when management is busy or away. The hardest part of the job was the location due to it being in the airport and having to go through security everyday, but the most rewarding part of the job is the culture that I get to see with both my co-workers and customers.
Pros
bonuses, pay, and flexible schedules
Cons
dealing with competition, and sometimes solo work hours
Fun, upbeat place to work with an energetic and motivating manager.
Product Demonstration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 5, 2014
I took this job as a means to supplement my income with my own company, CopperTree Entertainment, during the lean times. It seemed like an obvious product for me to sell given the fact that I am a music enthusiast. I was fascinated with the new advances in audio and video technologies alike. The company is quite regimented in its presentations of products which can frustrate clientele who just want to drop in and take a quick browse around. But, the BOSE way of selling does provide for a certain standard of continuity and excellence that is seldom seen in retail stores today.
I loved this job.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAJanuary 29, 2014
What an excellent place to work. I truly loved the environment I was put into here. I have also never met a more amazing group of co-workers. I learned so much about myself, and being professional. A typical day for me would be taking phone calls in my cubicle and troubleshoot their difficulties with the Bose product they have. I would say the hardest part of the job was trying to convince customer's that you knew what you were doing, and only want the best for them. Overall, Bose is truly an amazing company, and I will be forever honored I got the opportunity to work there.
Pros
free lunches, caring staff, amazing training experience.

4.2