Boston Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 23, 2017
A typical day at work was answering the phones, calendar management, typing up documents, taking the minutes of the staff meeting once a week, making copies, and working on Excel Spreadsheets.
I learned more advanced Excel.
My supervisor was very nice, professional and helpful.
The workplace culture was great, because they treated everyone the same -- from the head of the hospital to the support staff.
The hardest part of the job was the commute. It took approximately 2 hours each way.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the work and the people I worked with.
Pros
I got to work in a totally different atmosphere
Cons
The long commute
Top Place to Work
Staff Nurse, Medical ICU (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2017
Boston Children's Hospital does amazing work. I am privileged to be a part of this organization and what they do for patients and their families.
BCH is a great place to work
Clinical Team Leader; Clinical Applications (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2017
I enjoyed working at Boston Children's and would recommend to anyone looking to advance their healthcare career and be involved in a large academic medical center setting.
Great co-workers
Care Companion (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 20, 2017
The work enviorenment is amazing. Your are exposed to a diverse community of patients and employees. Being in that kind of space shapes your understanding of the world towards a positive direction. I love going to work everyday and interacting with my patients and the healthcare professionals.
Pros
Good pay, lovely people
Cons
short breaks, difficult to get there
friendly staff
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 16, 2017
Was always busy and everyone I worked with seemed to care about each other's safety and well being. Was fun to work with both patients and fellow staff members
fun place
Credentialed Trainer - Epic (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 1, 2017
Great place to learn and become exposed to complex and interesting cases. Opportunities to have patient contact as a non-clinician and to shadow physicians. Research coordinators have a lot of independence and amazing options to learn from some of the worlds best doctors and nurses.
Cons
Departments are very independent from each other and don't always communicate well--creating challenges for multi-disciplinary protocols and cases. There is not a set pathway to advance from a research coordinator to a research manager--creating career growth stagnation and frustration.
Advice to Management
Provide mid level opportunities for research coordinators that want to stay in research (instead of transitioning to medical/nursing school)
Great environment to make a positive difference in children's lives.
Inpatient Psychiatry Intern/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 28, 2017
Worked with patients admitted to psychiatry unit for various mental heath reasons. This was truly a career defining internship. With each day you are able to positively impact a child's life by showing them attention and the care they need in order to overcome their emotional issues.
Overworked and under payed.
Program Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 24, 2017
Low wages and unreasonable work loads. People often do the work of several positions without wage or title increase due to high turn over.
very disorganized
research (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2017
Departments vary in terms of how they function and/or implement policies. Lack of leadership in administrative research across all levels. Incredibly political.
benefits
Cons
leadership, organization
Horrible leadership and immature, fear driven culture
Senior Manager, Marketing Communications (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 16, 2017
One would think that a marketing department at a large Children's hospital would foster a positive, innovative, exciting culture, however the Marketing Communications leadership creates the opposite which is so unfortunate. The senior leadership does not take responsibility or hold everyone accountable across various groups. There is a lot of pressure on those who are committed to the advancement of the marketing work, while others who show little to no dedication float by and are not held accountable for their lack of progress. The leadership team is immature, gossipy, unprofessional, and do not foster a productive workspace.
Pros
the overall mission, benefits, and the amazing work that is done at the hospital
Cons
culture, leadership, HR managing the combative work environment
Team effort in every department
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2017
The workplace has a respectful environment. I found the staff easy to work with and dedicated to their work in terms of finding ways to help and heal children.
World class hospital
Staff Nurse, Inpatient Psychiatry (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 10, 2017
Children's is a great environment with a lot of perks, but the inpatient psychiatry unit is tucked away with little oversight from the overall organizational hierarchy. Because of high demand for psychiatric care, there is pressure to take tougher, and more challenging patients, which means more burnout and less safety. This would be a great job, but an inpatient psychiatric unit cannot function optimally without a nurse manager who is present to provide supervision and hold employees accountable to an evidence-based standard of care.
Pros
Opportunities to do rewarding work, fair pay, job security
Cons
Unsafe work environment, lack of oversight, low morale
Great for Entry Level
Assisting providers (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 4, 2017
This job was a great place to get my foot into the door and get into the health care field, however there isn't much room for growth, and I'm looking to see what my other options are.
Productive and team focused workplace
Nutrition Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MADecember 28, 2016
Every day I get to work with a group of my peers who are also nutrition majors like myself. We work together to get participants' meals completed in a timely manner while still being able to communicate and help each other, as well as participants, in any way possible.
Pros
Free meals during work and a positive environment
Cons
Tasks can become tedious at times
productive, fun and friendly
Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 19, 2016
making new friends, having fun, and learning new things day by day. learning new departments, helping each other out, delivering packages to the right department and sorting out mail.
Pros
free lunch
benefits
Bch
Temporary Customer Service/Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2016
Great place to work. Great coworkers that took the time to train you, great supervisors that were accommodating. Very accessible via public transportation. Knowledgable staff.
One of the best establishments i have ever worked.
Unit Secretary, Infants Cardiac ICU (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2016
My experience with Children's Hospital Boston is second to none. I thoroughly enjoyed my work experience. I gained two consecutive promotions and also worked in other departments for overtime which allowed me to purchase my first home.
Pros
Wonderful working envirnment
Cons
Child care problems were an issue during my tenure.
great experience
General Surgery EMR Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 28, 2016
even though this is a very intense job and not everyone is cut out for it, I would have to say it has been the best experience in terms of a job that I have ever received. I learned a lot in terms of what I want to do in the future and just being able to help all those kids was great.
Patient Service Associate II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 21, 2016
your co workers were very understanding and everyone worked as a team, everyone is pleasant and understanding, always willing to help out
Plenty of Resources
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 18, 2016
There are always easily accessible resources for whatever you need, whether work related or personal.

The hardest part of the job was adjusting to different times of the year. The particular study I worked for had very very busy months, with times in between that we had nothing to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2