Boston Children's Hospital

Boston Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Good environment and excellent organizational culture and love the people l worked with
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 23, 2014
The typical day started at 7:30am, the work place was quiet with only a few surgeons in the office and l did all my planning of the day to day to do list, checked my emails, and my calendar and got ready for the day before 8:30am when most of the employees started coming in. At 9am had a one on one with my supervisor if he was in his office that day to make sure that there are no emergencies that day or change of plan or unforeseen tasks, then after l would check in with staff and proceed to a meeting. Around 12noon, l would break for lunch if time allows, after, work on the project(s), email or arrange a few meetings, and around 2pm another meeting, and around 3pm take a walk for 10mins to move away from the work station with my colleague while discussing some way forward to improve the project and exchange ideas. Check in with other staff members and then lastly with my supervisor if he is available and lock up around 4-4:30pm to beat the traffic home.
I learned that when you start the day early you are fresh and can accomplish a lot and also having breaks between work is vital for your success and sanity. Management is there to help you work out what you need to achieve and if you are tactful they can support you personally and financially especially if you are dealing with projects.
Your co-workers are the best allies you can get at work if you have them on your side, team work becomes easier and they can help you in one way or the other.
The hardest part of my job at was commuting and the fact that l spent a lot of time in traffic - it was frustrating thinking that l would
  more... be doing my work or doing something more cost effective.
Working on different projects and improving systems like re-organizing of the clinical operations was challenging but very interesting and rewarding. The change that was beneficial to both admins and surgeons and other clinicians was great it gave me job satisfaction and quality improvement is exciting to undertake and when it happens its a joy.
Pros
free ice cream on a hot da
Cons
office space
Negative atmosphere for entry-level employees
Ambulatory Services Representative II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 23, 2013
My role was taking care of administrative tasks for multiple doctors. While directly working to help children was fantastic, the downside was working with parents.

Because BCH is in a constant rankings battle to be the #1 pediatric hospital in the country, patient satisfaction is a priority. This unfortunately does not mean healing more sick children, but typically letting difficult and unreasonable parents get what they want while mild-mannered parents accept second class status. Doctors, nurses, and admin staff are all affected by it. For anyone working in outpatient services, this pattern gets tiresome and causes serious burnout for admin employees, with some departments seeing very regular turnover. Management was not helpful, many administrative workers barely meet their boss' boss.

Fringe benefits were truly great, but compensation is low across the board, especially considering what many make at other hospitals. Raises are typically frozen to a low maximum, max allowed was 2.5% annually during my tenure. There is a lot of rhetoric about how easy it is to work your way to higher admin positions, but too many ambitious people are hired at low levels to actually advance them all. Less than 10% of the admin staff I worked directly with are still at the hospital. Many leave for better opportunities elsewhere.

Jobs are typically very secure, which is a relief, but unfortunately also means a number of incompetent employees are littered throughout the hospital and show no signs of ever leaving. This makes many tasks much more difficult to accomplish than they should be.
Pros
great benefits, good work/life balance
Cons
negative work environment, low compensation, few advancement opportunities
Perfect position for a full time mother and part time employee
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 3, 2014
The greatest part of being a medical transcriptionist for a world-class hospital is that you are always learning and challenging yourself. Exposure to the latest in medical conditions, tests, procedures across all specialties and the language variations of non-native English speakers among the hospital's immense staff requires adaptability and attention to detail in order to interpret and research unfamiliar content.

The best of both worlds, being an independent contractor transcriptionist offers ultimate flexibility and independence. I can work on my own schedule from the comfort of my own home, yet have the security of an off-site department manager who provides feedback and communication with hospital and medical staff if/when necessary.

Typical day: Log in, access the work pool via Fusion Desktop. Open, edit or transcribe documents matched to dictation voice files, ensuring accuracy in format and content. Upload completed documents, ensuring efficient turnaround in keeping with department objectives. Able to access up to the minute production rate and line count..

The flexible nature of the position is both the biggest pro and con. The availability of voice files in the work pool dictates your ability to complete work; thus, regardless of whether you've met your quota, the lure of adding to your line count is always there in the back of your mind. It is easy to think "I could/'should be working" even if/when you have completed your line quota. Conversely, if the work pool is empty (rare) and a line quota has not been met, the ability to meet a quota is out of your hands.
Pros
ultimate flexibility; excellent per line rate, educational.
Cons
compensation depends on content/availability of work pool. easy to max out on pay scale.
Great co-workers, but high-stress environment
Ambulatory Services Representative II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 29, 2015
Many of the coworkers are great to work with. The team has a great unified culture and most make an effort to smile and maintain a high level of positive energy. Parties are frequently hosted for other staff members and physicians at the hospitals expense. Great autonomous team spirit.

However, this is a fast-paced, high-stress environment with poor management that cycled between hands-off and micromanaging. Supervisors never have your back when stressful situations arise. Physicians never accept responsibility for errors and the heat falls squarely on the employees. Work is given with little practical training on how to implement it. More work keeps piling on endlessly and employees are expected to stay late to finish a never ending list of duties without overtime pay. Workers are treated as robots rather than human beings. Focus claims to be on teamwork, but workers are frequently undervalued and little respect and consideration is given to individual needs causing workers to be pitted against each other when called to account. Small breaks throughout the day are frowned upon as one is expected to work until burning out. Little to no opportunity for advancement.

Definitely not a place for long-term employment
Pros
Many office parties and free food & coffee, great co-workers
Cons
poor management, high turnover rate
Co-workers rocked! Management, not so much.
Admin (Former Employee) –  Boston, MaDecember 8, 2013
I worked in a non-clinical environment with a great group of long-time employees who were dedicated and professional. Unfortunately, the manager was under-qualified for his job and therefore put very unreal expectations on the team. This manager, could not communicate clearly either verbally or written. I honestly believe he would feign his accent (English was not his first language) whenever someone woukd ask him a question that he didn't know the answer to. On several occassions he would ask me into his office to help him compose an email reply to an email his boss had sent to him. I could go on and on, but I will leave it like this. High-level management and HR should really take into consideration so much more than a person's education when placing people in roles where people skills are critical! I cannot imagine that manager being in that position much longer. Its a shame, the department as a whole was awesome!
Pros
great co-workers, hours, work related events
Cons
powerless to make a positive change, no input from employees when managers are rated
Highly Rewarding Experience
Ambulatory Services Rep. II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 3, 2013
There is no typical day at Boston Children's. We are the first contact for most patients when scheduling appointments, coming into our clinic for their appointments, and also the last point of contact on the way out of their appointment. We must maintain a very high level of customer service to help keep at bay any frustrations the patients may be experiencing in their lives. As our motto is Exceptional Care, Exceptional Service.
This starts from our managemnt and trickles all the way down. Their is an incredible amount of dedication to ones profession here that it drives all others to want to be better for the overall good of the clinic. It is an environment filled with amazing staff willing to go the extra mile to make the hardest and most uncomfortable experiences for families less stressful and more enjoyable.
The most difficult part of this job is knowing that the patients coming into clinic are struggling with serious ailments at such a young age before they have experienced life. But the most rewarding and enjoyable part is the smiles on their faces as they leave the hospital and the relationships that are built with patients as you see them during their visits.
Productive work environment great work life balance
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2014
A typical work day at CHB would go from copy machine not working properly to a power shut down. Communication and follow up is extemely important.I really enjoy helping others and learned that I like to plan, oragnize, and coordinate. I like to make sure that all goes well. I have also found myself training and mentoring new staff. My coworkers became heavly dependent on me and they relied on me for EVERYTHING. I was the ultimate go to person partly becasue they knew that I would get it done. The hardest part of the job was when we were short staffed I would be asked to take on even more duties until a new person was hired. The most enjopable part of the job was knowing that people really look to me for asnwers and resolution. You have to learn to be resillent and forth coming especailly when so many staff memebers depend on you to get the job done! Knowing that gave me a great sense of self worth and gratittude.

RJ
Pros
lung meetings
Cons
no back up support
Productive environment with great co-workers
Surgical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 7, 2012
I spend most of my day talking with patients and other hospital employees on the phone or through email correspondence, while scheduling surgeries and appointments. Also meet with patients in the clinic to discuss their surgical needs and go over potential dates, etc.
Plan and coordinate services for families including: scheduling pre-op and post-op appointments, procedures, diagnostic tests, surgical admissions and interpreters in close collaboration with family and clinical staff.
Help prepare patients and their families for surgery and make them feel as comfortable and well informed as possible.
Work closely with OR to ensure maximum room utilization
Order supplies and medical equipment for procedures and post-operative care as needed
•Work closely with physicians and their schedules in order to provide patients with exceptional care and service in a timely manner.
•Coordinate the insurance approval process and manage patient records
Act as a liaison between patients/families and physicians as well as other departments both within and outside of the hospital.
Organize and submit billing of surgical consults and procedures for each physician.
Small biorepository with likable employees
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 18, 2015
On a typical day at work, I complete many tasks around the lab. Usually, I extract DNA from blood, saliva, or plasma. After the DNA is extracted, I perform quality and quantity control analysis by using Nanodrop and Quant-it machines. In order to track samples throughout both of these processes, I label them and record their information (patient age, date collected, sample volume) in the Progeny database. Depending on the preferences of the client requesting the extraction, I must aliquot a certain amount of the DNA and then store it in our freezers. I use the Progeny and BioStor databases to do so. Storage requires extensive knowledge of the freezer maps, which I update weekly. I also perform lab maintenance by cleaning the freezers and other machines in the lab, such as the Autopure LS.
Pros
Nice people, good baseline exposure to lab environment
Cons
not research
Wonderful place to work
Administrative Associate II, part-time (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 17, 2012
Children's Hospital Boston is a wonderful place to work. Human Resources place a great value on quality of life and work issues, and there are many benefits that the Hospital is able to offer because of it's size and affiliations.

A typical work day consisted of a mix of computer and desk work, interacting with other employees and moving about the hospital, inventory work, and delivering CPR kits to parents in the childrens' rooms.

My manager was patient, kind, committed to excellence, and a great teacher. She felt it was her job to have me succeed.

The hardest part of the job was adjusting to seeing children in distress.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with such wonderful co-workers and other personnel.
Pros
great benefits including low cost transportation, low cost and healthy cafeteria, pleasant working environment, committed co-workers
Cons
relatively low wages, congested traffic, beauracracy, a bit of corporate ambiance
I worked at the top Children's Hospital in the world
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 30, 2014
I learned so much working at a Harvard research hospital, I had the chance to see some really rare cases and the most up to date procedures. A typical day at work was twelve hours in the emergency room. Dealing with everything you would see in an emergency room. My co-workers where the backbone to the floor, we all supported each other as much as possible. The hardest part is obvious, working with children does make you empathetic and you have to separate yourself enough to perform your job. The opposite is getting to see the miracles that happen every day, and a happy family leaving the ER.
Pros
great experience, very educational
Cons
having dinner at the beginning of your shift and waiting 11 hours to eat again
Loved working in the medical field, especially at this hospital
Patient Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 11, 2013
Typical day at work was setting the clinic up for an efficient day so that patients are seen in a timely manner, chart is available in the clinic and all previous notes are included if not tracking them down is key to making everyone's job as seamless as possible.

The hardest part of the job was seeing really sick children and knowing that there are times that a situation is out of the doctors hands; so the best thing is to be supportive to the family during the the process.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing children go home from being inpatient for a lengthy time. Smiley faces was very nice to see!!
Pros
making sure we can do whatever we can to support all families.
Cons
short breaks.
Productive Workplace, energetic coworkers
Ambulatory Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 8, 2014
I loved working with people that were happy and energetic. Everyone made me feel important and I felt appreciation from the coordinators and employees that I helped process paperwork for, in order for these people to start working on time.

The hardest part of my job was knowing that I had so many job responsibilities, but a few of my coworkers in the same position as mine, weren't given as many job duties. I felt comforted and satisfied knowing people felt like they could ask me to help them with anything and that I would get whatever they needed done in a time efficient manner. I loved being able to work hard and help so many people.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
tough to move up, management didn't enforce consequences to employees who displayed a lack of effort
One of the best places to work
Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 18, 2013
I really enjoyed my time employed with Boston Children's Hospital. (B.C.H.) I was given the opportunity to work in two separate positions while I was there and enjoyed every second of both positions equally. My co-workers were always hospitable, to say the least, and everyone always went out of their way to extend a helping-hand whenever it was possible. I learned a great deal more about teamwork, prosperity and integrity than I had ever known. I will always regard this place as one of my favorite places to work no matter the successes to come!!
Pros
great staff, happy people, smiling faces, clean atmosphere and sense of pride for being part of a team!
Cons
cannot think of any.
Excellent place of work with maximum exposure to many individuals and variety of diagnoses to work with
RN MSICU (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 13, 2013
Truthfully my happiest placement as a nurse was with Boston Children's Hospital. I worked in a multitude of settings and was very lucky to have built an excellent career branching from this hospital.

I developed a very solid knowledge base and am fortunate to share what I have learned within this company with others in the home care field.

In the MSICU I enjoyed working with the acutely ill and restoring the health of my patients to their baseline or to increase their stability and transfer them to the step down unit. I worked with an excellent team of nurses who were supportive to one another and together we saved lives!
Pros
benefits, schedule, variety and culture
Great hospital with below average pay for non-clinical employees
Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 29, 2015
Boston Children's Hospital offered a great working enviroment at a state of the art pediatric hospital. There is much to learn and plenty of intelligent people to learn from.

There are a reasonable amount of opportunities for professional growth but you will most likely have to change departments.

Salary is definitely on the lower (maybe lowest) when compared to other hospitals in the longwood medical area. With that said, matching 403b (up to 5%) is a positive but is not vested until a tenure of 3 years.

Overall great hospital to work for, but needs to pay non-clinical employees more to increase retention
Pros
environment, co-workers, best practices
Cons
pay
Productive/Busy Environment
Supervisor-Hematology/Oncology Division (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2014
A typical day at work begins with organizing the Providers schedules and setting up appointments. I have access to open and close providers and NP's schedule.I begin to check scores for the call center i currently manage conduct weekly meetings for reviews. I work with a team of Nurses,Providers and administrators who i oversee and provide excellent service for. On of the most difficult part is managing six satellite locations besides the main campus and training individuals on how to use the five different programs in the company. The most enjoyable part is knowing my Team has showed hard work and dedication and making sure visits for families are enjoyable.
Pros
organization, communication
Productive fast paced environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 28, 2012
Provided administrative support to Project Managers.
Preparation and scheduling of all major departmental meetings, conferences, travel and reimbursements.
Manage accounts payables for team of project managers.
Create and electronically file scanned documentation.
Manage project manager’s calendars and travel arrangements.
Input financial information into departmental financial tracking system – resolve all issues and problems with accounts payables.
Prepare and assign work assignments for Project Managers ensuring all funding and tracking numbers are correct.
Answer phones and help callers resolve any questions.
Pros
always treated to great office lunches.
Cons
the location of the building i worked in, it was the basement and and had zero sunlight, other than that i enjoyed it tremendously
A great, friendly, easy-going place to work
Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 7, 2015
Boston Children's Hospital is a great place to work. Everyone there is extremely nice and a pleasure to work with. The work is challenging and rewarding. I strengthened my problem solving skills by working independently, and made a lot of connections with fellow lab workers. The management is also extremely friendly and easy-going, especially for an organization as large as Children's. My work consisted of developing analytical methods and testing samples. I was given the freedom to make my own schedule most of the time, with the responsibility of completing work in a timely manner and attending occasional meetings. The importance of the work was the most rewarding part, knowing that we were helping children.
Pros
Flexible schedule, enjoyable work, few meetings
Cons
Lots of troubleshooting
A great opportunity to work hands on with all kinds of situations in the top childrens emergency room
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 5, 2014
I learned a lot, considering it was a Harvard teaching hospital and most of us being in nursing school we where questioned and challenged a lot. The hardest part of the job was having empathy yet still being professional and getting the job done. My co-workers were my team and we all supported each other, everyone created a strong team. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the positive outcomes and the support needed in tougher situations and how we all pulled together like a family to support other family's.
Pros
exposed to a multitude of medical conditions
Cons
having to take children away to dss

4.2