Boston Children's Hospital

Boston Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Horrible leadership and immature, fear driven culture
Senior Manager, Marketing Communications (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 16, 2017
One would think that a marketing department at a large Children's hospital would foster a positive, innovative, exciting culture, however the Marketing Communications leadership creates the opposite which is so unfortunate. The senior leadership does not take responsibility or hold everyone accountable across various groups. There is a lot of pressure on those who are committed to the advancement of the marketing work, while others who show little to no dedication float by and are not held accountable for their lack of progress. The leadership team is immature, gossipy, unprofessional, and do not foster a productive workspace.
Pros
the overall mission, benefits, and the amazing work that is done at the hospital
Cons
culture, leadership, HR managing the combative work environment
Workplace at children's hospital
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 7, 2016
Being a security officer at Boston children's hospital is sort of a difficult job. We must always make sure that everyone and everything is safe around the hospital. I learned the ability to work well under pressure and in a fast pace. My co-workers are very helpful and respectful towards one another and we make sure to assist when someone is calling for back up on a situation. The hardest part of the job would be restraining children or dealing with a patient that is under control, there is possibility of getting hurt at this job and it is important to be able to handle anger/aggression. The reason I decided to become a security officer was because it was in a hospital and my real goal is to become a nurse in the future or start as nursing assistant.
Pros
Hospital setting, low/no cost in lunches, overtime
Cons
Not much benefits, mistreated sometimes from others(patients/families)
fun staff horrible supervisors
Medical Technologist I (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 3, 2016
typical days start with maintenance before running patient samples. If there are any problems you are supposed to first see the tech in charge of your area, then if not resolved the technical supervisor, whom doesn't think it worth the time to step out of the office. Co workers are amazing and they are the reason people stay for any length of time.
Pros
amazing co workers, name recognition, good benefits
Cons
commute, poor management
A serious professional work environment
Neurobiology Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 16, 2016
Each lab has its own culture. My PI expected a high rate of work. The hardest part of the job was the lack of human interaction, and the odd work hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was lab meetings with great minds in healthcare.
Pros
Prestigious hospital, employee benefits
Cons
worked far longer than 8 hour days, work on weekends
very disorganized
research (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2017
Departments vary in terms of how they function and/or implement policies. Lack of leadership in administrative research across all levels. Incredibly political.
benefits
Cons
leadership, organization
productive, fun and friendly
Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 19, 2016
making new friends, having fun, and learning new things day by day. learning new departments, helping each other out, delivering packages to the right department and sorting out mail.
Pros
free lunch
fun place
Credentialed Trainer - Epic (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 1, 2017
Great place to learn and become exposed to complex and interesting cases. Opportunities to have patient contact as a non-clinician and to shadow physicians. Research coordinators have a lot of independence and amazing options to learn from some of the worlds best doctors and nurses.
Cons
Departments are very independent from each other and don't always communicate well--creating challenges for multi-disciplinary protocols and cases. There is not a set pathway to advance from a research coordinator to a research manager--creating career growth stagnation and frustration.
Advice to Management
Provide mid level opportunities for research coordinators that want to stay in research (instead of transitioning to medical/nursing school)
inspiring hospital to work for
Program Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 20, 2016
-doctors are great and respectful of staff
-room to grow
-lean six sigma training provided by hospital
-most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you are helping patients and optimizing their care, even as admin staff
Pros
great benefits/earned time
Cons
coworkers are stressed and tend to take it out on each other (typical hospital environment, but this type of attitude can reduce moral and productivity)
poor management
Clinical Research Specialist II- (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 16, 2016
Management needs a complete revamp as does the culture of the work place. Especially for non clinician. Great benefits!......not much more to say, unfortunately.
benefits
Cons
management
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2016
Productive advancement. Fun workplace to work for. Excellent compensation and benefits. Management unstable. Employees who works here are not friendly.
Program Coordinator
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 19, 2016
Great place to work!!!! Amazing environment, excellent benefits.

They follow through on all expectations, treat their employees fairly, very well compensated.
Pros
Benefits, work life balance, extensive training
World class hospital
Staff Nurse, Inpatient Psychiatry (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 10, 2017
Children's is a great environment with a lot of perks, but the inpatient psychiatry unit is tucked away with little oversight from the overall organizational hierarchy. Because of high demand for psychiatric care, there is pressure to take tougher, and more challenging patients, which means more burnout and less safety. This would be a great job, but an inpatient psychiatric unit cannot function optimally without a nurse manager who is present to provide supervision and hold employees accountable to an evidence-based standard of care.
Pros
Opportunities to do rewarding work, fair pay, job security
Cons
Unsafe work environment, lack of oversight, low morale
Great environment to make a positive difference in children's lives.
Inpatient Psychiatry Intern/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 28, 2017
Worked with patients admitted to psychiatry unit for various mental heath reasons. This was truly a career defining internship. With each day you are able to positively impact a child's life by showing them attention and the care they need in order to overcome their emotional issues.
One of the best establishments i have ever worked.
Unit Secretary, Infants Cardiac ICU (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2016
My experience with Children's Hospital Boston is second to none. I thoroughly enjoyed my work experience. I gained two consecutive promotions and also worked in other departments for overtime which allowed me to purchase my first home.
Pros
Wonderful working envirnment
Cons
Child care problems were an issue during my tenure.
Great people and enviorment
Senior Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 31, 2016
Great people and environment, wish they had better compensation. There is tuition reimbursement which is very beneficial for people interested in taking classes part-time or at night.
Pros
People, benefits are good
Cons
Salary
Exec level doesn't care
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 14, 2016
Certain people here are very good to work with and you can learn a lot from them but the truth is when it comes down to it if you are looking for a place that really cares about the employees especially those in Support Services that are non-clinical this is not the place for you upper management doesn't care about people as much as they should from what I've learned there is a very high turnover rate and it's understandably so.

The only way to make any real money there is to work nights weekends and holidays on top of regular shifts which will sacrifice your time to your family friends and outside obligations
Pros
Cons
Pay, employment relations, upper management, etc
Productive and team focused workplace
Nutrition Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MADecember 28, 2016
Every day I get to work with a group of my peers who are also nutrition majors like myself. We work together to get participants' meals completed in a timely manner while still being able to communicate and help each other, as well as participants, in any way possible.
Pros
Free meals during work and a positive environment
Cons
Tasks can become tedious at times
Great co-workers
Care Companion (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 20, 2017
The work enviorenment is amazing. Your are exposed to a diverse community of patients and employees. Being in that kind of space shapes your understanding of the world towards a positive direction. I love going to work everyday and interacting with my patients and the healthcare professionals.
Pros
Good pay, lovely people
Cons
short breaks, difficult to get there
great experience
General Surgery EMR Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 28, 2016
even though this is a very intense job and not everyone is cut out for it, I would have to say it has been the best experience in terms of a job that I have ever received. I learned a lot in terms of what I want to do in the future and just being able to help all those kids was great.
Excellent Employer
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 3, 2015
Boston Children's Hospital was a great employer, I learned much and enjoyed my time there. My team was very supportive and worked well together, and our support structure in management and IT was very close knit, and problems were dealt with quickly when they arose. The benefits are very good at Children's, as is the atmosphere and culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2