Boston Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Great people and enviorment
Senior Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 31, 2016
Great people and environment, wish they had better compensation. There is tuition reimbursement which is very beneficial for people interested in taking classes part-time or at night.
Pros
People, benefits are good
Cons
Salary
Great cause to work for
Senior Patient Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 23, 2016
I feel gratified to work in a position where I can help families attain the healthcare they need and achieve their life goals.
It is a great place to work that allows you hone your skills bringing out the very best in you
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 15, 2015
This is a great place to work as it allows you hone your skills thereby bringing out the very best in you. My coworkers are very cordial and the work/life balance is great. Also very commendable is the effort the management puts into quickly resolving any issues that may arise.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Great place to work!
Cardiac Catheterization Radiologic Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 8, 2016
Great place to work, just depending on the department you work in the hours can be very long. Everyone employed with Children's is overall very friendly and willing to help.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
Beware of Poor Management
AA (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2015
Very poor and unprofessional management practices. Loved the hospital, but the office politics made work unbearable.
Pros
Location, Public Trans accessible, great benefits.
Productive and very serious about making things rigth
Student Intern Telecommunication (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 2, 2016
I had the time of my life working there. I would love to get my foot back into the door what ever it may be. The best work place to be and the best people to work with are at Boston Children's Hospital
Productive and supportive workplace
COACH Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 15, 2016
Coworkers at Children were very respectful and fun to be around. The work environment was always productive and supportive. Given that every time I worked there I was a student working a summer job, my coworkers were always asking me about my future and giving me advice on school when I needed it. Everyone was genuinely pleasant to be around.
Pros
Free lunch, LMA Shuttles
Cons
short term employment
Great co-workers, but high-stress environment
Ambulatory Services Representative II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 29, 2015
Many of the coworkers are great to work with. The team has a great unified culture and most make an effort to smile and maintain a high level of positive energy. Parties are frequently hosted for other staff members and physicians at the hospitals expense. Great autonomous team spirit.

However, this is a fast-paced, high-stress environment with poor management that cycled between hands-off and micromanaging. Supervisors never have your back when stressful situations arise. Physicians never accept responsibility for errors and the heat falls squarely on the employees. Work is given with little practical training on how to implement it. More work keeps piling on endlessly and employees are expected to stay late to finish a never ending list of duties without overtime pay. Workers are treated as robots rather than human beings. Focus claims to be on teamwork, but workers are frequently undervalued and little respect and consideration is given to individual needs causing workers to be pitted against each other when called to account. Small breaks throughout the day are frowned upon as one is expected to work until burning out. Little to no opportunity for advancement.

Definitely not a place for long-term employment
Pros
Many office parties and free food & coffee, great co-workers
Cons
poor management, high turnover rate
Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 6, 2016
A day in the Cardiac ICU is just like it sounds, intense. We care for the sickest patients in the world. I am able to work with intelligent and elite staff that are amazing at what they do. I have learned how short life can be, and to never take anything for granted. My coworkers are extremely smart and dedicated to what they do. The hardest part about our job is seeing the patients that cannot be saved. The most enjoyable is being able to provide safety and compassion to not only patients but their families. The best parts are seeing the patient's that can be saved!
Office support
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 6, 2016
Office support for busy ophthalmology department, serving the children of Boston and beyond. Ability to take on special projects and collaborate with medical and administrative staff of all levels.
productive, amazing
Surgical scheduler Department of Ophthalmology (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 7, 2016
one of the best working environments I have ever been in. It is definitely a humbling experience as well. There is a lot of stress that comes with the job, but it is definitely worth the experience.
Fun to work with
End-User Support Specialist, Research Computing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 7, 2012
Great place to work for, days can be very full at times and a work day can be hectic but overall it is a great place to work.
I learned that working for a company such as this has thought me to be grateful for what I have.
Management are well trained and are willing to work with you.
co-workers are great and have their own view of things but that is what makes this place well diversified.
Hardest part of the job are the personalities.
Pros
great food good benefits
hard to get in and hard to advance unless you're a professional brown nose
Help Desk/Desktop support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 12, 2015
pay is below market, but most jobs are stable and benefits are okay. Good stepping stone to get where you want to be, but not good to stay long term if you're looking to advance your career rapidly.
Productive and fun work environment
Trainer/Analyst/Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 21, 2015
Exceptional leadership and outstanding work environment. Management and staff members are pleasant and helpful, providing for a great atmosphere to work in. The compensation and benefits are excellent, and it has been an overall great experience working at Boston Children's.
awesome
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 22, 2016
I love working for the hospital it is a great place to be but I don't like working for 3rd party companies and I would leave if I was offered in house employment
I was a Intake Coordinator for the Outpatient Psychiatry Department
Intake Coordinator/Psychiatry (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 8, 2016
It was a busy job that required me to be very detail oriented, patient on the phone with angry callers at times. I was in charge of all new patient calls fro outpatient psychiatry services. I had to inform each caller about the hospital criteria to be able to receive potential services.
Great hospital, tough culture
Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 13, 2016
They perform miracles everyday but it's a big organization where sometimes communication is lacking. Doctors rule, egos are huge.
A great, friendly, easy-going place to work
Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 7, 2015
Boston Children's Hospital is a great place to work. Everyone there is extremely nice and a pleasure to work with. The work is challenging and rewarding. I strengthened my problem solving skills by working independently, and made a lot of connections with fellow lab workers. The management is also extremely friendly and easy-going, especially for an organization as large as Children's. My work consisted of developing analytical methods and testing samples. I was given the freedom to make my own schedule most of the time, with the responsibility of completing work in a timely manner and attending occasional meetings. The importance of the work was the most rewarding part, knowing that we were helping children.
Pros
Flexible schedule, enjoyable work, few meetings
Cons
Lots of troubleshooting
Rewarding Job
Immunology Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 30, 2015
Great place to work with wonderful benefits. Great coworkers who are exceptionally skilled and hardworking. Plenty of room for growth and career advancement.
Pros
Rewarding Job
Cons
No cons
Great hospital with below average pay for non-clinical employees
Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 29, 2015
Boston Children's Hospital offered a great working enviroment at a state of the art pediatric hospital. There is much to learn and plenty of intelligent people to learn from.

There are a reasonable amount of opportunities for professional growth but you will most likely have to change departments.

Salary is definitely on the lower (maybe lowest) when compared to other hospitals in the longwood medical area. With that said, matching 403b (up to 5%) is a positive but is not vested until a tenure of 3 years.

Overall great hospital to work for, but needs to pay non-clinical employees more to increase retention
Pros
environment, co-workers, best practices
Cons
pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2