Boston Financial Employee Reviews

Great company with great benefits
Lead Mutual Fund Representative - Telephones (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 9, 2017
I have worked for the company for almost 15 years, I feel there is a great opportunity for advancement. The company provided great benefits, such as, 401K, Profit Sharing, and Health Insurance.
Mutual Fund Representative (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 27, 2016
Work here as I go to college. They are very flexible with my schedule and respect my need for school/work balance. Management is very nice and give very constructive criticism. Everyone is polite and you can listen to music/podcasts while you work. Great employee benefits too!
Great place to get a behind-the-scenes look at how various funds are managed
Financial Proxy Representative (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAFebruary 18, 2016
Since I began working here at Boston Financial Data Services, I have been reaching out to people invested in various companies. Some people are invested through an IRA (Roth, Traditional, Simple, and Rollover). Other people you may reach out are invested through the companies 401K plan and 403B.

This is a customer service position where you will spending your time on the phone, navigating through the databases they have set up.

Understanding and believing in what companies feel are in the best interest of shareholders is a key part of being successful. You learn while you're doing the job and the responsibilities become second nature with practice.
A very good place to work
Help Desk Specialists II (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MADecember 5, 2016
A typical day for me at work would start by going to our morning team meeting, to go over any global problems or issues that may be happening for the day. Then for the remainder of the day would be focused on monitoring and answering all the incoming service requests and incidents that come in via the phone, email or via instant messenger.

I have learned various amount of knowledge from being able to work with the server team, the application support team as well as our desktop support team.

Management here is fair and very easy to work with. They are kind and keep things fun with activities and they also keep us up to date and active in trying to help us progress professionally.

My Co-Workers are very great team to work with. They are very goal oriented and focused and very willing to help out when they are needed.

The hardest part of my Job is the scheduling when someone is out it can be challenging due to the call volume and daily tasks.

The most enjoyable part of my job in being able to help people. I enjoy learning myself and being able to pass on the knowledge learned.
Pros
Company Lunch Events, Outings, and the ability to work from home.
Cons
Pay
great place with plenty of oppurtinitues
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy maJanuary 30, 2016
In a typical day i would process financial transaction on mutual fund accounts.
During my time at Boston Financial i learned so much about the industry, and how a mutual fund works as well as retirement accounts.
Its a nice work enviroment, lots of teamwork. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the different mutual fund rules, which is all provided in the prospectus. With that being said its also a great part of the job because you arent constantly learning.
benefits
Stayed overnight during snow blizzard
Control Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAJanuary 5, 2017
I've been working at this company for almost 16 years. Overall, I enjoy my job, I really like my co-workers and also my managers - they are very nice and easy going people, they are very helpful and skilled at their daily tasks. Although some days stressful when having computer system issue and a lot of phone calls from internal and external and the dead line approached, However, the upper management is very friendly, skilled and helpful, most of the co-workers are so willing to help, even though one or two co-workers sometimes give provide pressure on me but when I flipped the way of thinking (from negative to positive)-- everything settled. I remembered the most typical day at work is when the snow blizzard about to come, my upper management officer walk around the department and ask who's willing to stay overnight during the snow storm, not as much people as I thought, only four people included one officer, two manager, and I am the only regular associate willing to stay overnight to ensure appropriate coverage on the next day. Even though there's no shower room, no bed nor couch but it makes me felt that I was kind of important person. That's a very valuable experience to stay in the company during the snow blizzard. Anyway, I enjoyed working with such a great team of co-workers as well as my friendly and professional supervisors. I was hoping that there would be someday that we could meet again and get together.
Pros
Year end party, monthly breakfast, a lot of fun activities
Cons
A lot of deadline and no job security
fun place to work
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MEAugust 30, 2016
I love working with the computers and the phone. It gave me a new challenge every day when I went to work. They got rid of me after having surgery when I was told I would be safe and able to go back, once I had the surgery and I found out I had complications during the surgery and it would be longer before I could return to work, they told me that I would not be able to return I would have to go through the application process again and start from the bottom.
Pros
lots of over time offered.
Cons
quick to get rid of you after surgery.
Productive and Fast Paced Environment
Investor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 21, 2016
A typical day at work would involve researching and resolving customer or broker/dealer inquiries concerning pass or pending transactions, requests for product information, legal requirements for transfers to different account types, etc.
I also placed outbound calls to shareholders and broker/dealers in order to complete or clarify pending transactions or account maintenance requests.
During tax season, the office was fast paced, however we tried to make room for fun as well. The most enjoyable part of my job were my co-workers and managers. We worked strong as a team and it lightened the atmosphere quite a bit.
Pros
monthly lunch and learns, to essentially keep us up to speed on tax forms, any press releases for mutual funds, etc.
Cons
During tax season, it was sometimes so busy we were forced to stay late and work through lunch as well.
Standard office job
PC Specialist (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 26, 2016
The companies stability depends on the NYSE. Busy seasons demands long hours, slow seasons can see lay offs.
Pros
health care, vacation time
Cons
work\life balence
customer service
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MASeptember 16, 2016
• Inquiries from mutual fund shareholders, brokers and dealers in an inbound call center
• Answering account owner and financial representative questions regarding balances, and legal requirements
• processing transactions and providing an exceptional customer service experience to your caller
Worst Job I've Ever Had
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MESeptember 8, 2015
The pay and benefits were great, but they were the only thing that was right at this business. Management was horrible. Schedules were all over the place. They did not follow labor laws, making associates begin work prior to signing in for their shifts, were not willing to allow pregnant women to go to doctor appointments during the day, and even cut a sick associate off from using the restroom.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
Not a good place to work
very comfotable work environment
Proxy Specialist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAMarch 23, 2016
typical work day would 6pm -11pm shift. calling shareholders on Avya systems. making inbound and outbound calls. shareholders would be informed of the changes in the stocks.I would then ask shareholders if there ok with the change and vote on their account. I have learned how to communicate with customers that may seem irritated. Management was very professional, we would have a team meeting everyday to keep employees updated on any changes on clients. I worked with the most amazing co-workers, everyone worked as a team and achieved the task at hand. The hardest part of my job was not being to hard on myself,wanted to do better then I did the previous day. The most Enjoyable part of BFDS was the learning experience, I can honestly say I learned something new everyday.
Pros
mbta transportation accessible
Cons
health care was not afforable or me at this job and also was a temp position
Its a job, take the work experience and run, fast.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MEJune 6, 2014
I now know why management does not look employees directly in the eye or acknowledge their presents. They literally take the "right to work laws" seriously. Anyone can be hired or fired at anytime for any and all reasons. Management values outdated, obsolete computer systems and business models more. I have never worked in a place where one felt like they were going to loss their "hall pass" at anytime. There is an atmosphere of favoritism and they want you to report poor performance by fellow co-workers. To me that is like tattling tail on the playground.

Smart intelligent people leave in droves and those that stay are constantly under threat. Not a good way to conduct business both for clients and employees.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
the list is to long
Nice company to grow a career in
Group Manager, Information Center (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 16, 2016
Boston Financial enabled many of us to start in entry level positions and continue to grow in the ranks in to senior level positions. It was a pleasure to be in the family for 20 years.
Wonderful group of people to work with
DOCUMENT CONTROL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAAugust 26, 2016
Boston Financial was a relaxed do it yourself space for me to provide in my own way. My bosses were funny and made the work entertaining. I was very please to be a part of this team.
Pros
Relaxed schedule and time line
Cons
Didn't get to work with I.T.
Depends on your perspective
Client Relations (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 9, 2015
If you like working for big companies where the there is room to grow and options for advancement, BFDS is for you. If you are frightened by the fact that your employer is monitoring your your triglycerides, BMI and other vital statistics as part of a new 'wellness' program that seems more akin to Big Brother looking over your shoulder on the treadmill, find a smaller employer. Keep your options open. As part of an effort to be come leaner and meaner current reorganization is silo-ing jobs so that a given job title has narrower responsibilities, which makes it difficult to practice new skills so you can be promoted.

Don't plan to be a 'lifer.' Take advantage of everything BFDS has to offer in the way of benefits, training and advancement and be ready to leave, or be let go at a moment's notice.
Pros
1) Great entry level positions, 2) rapid advancement if you are competent, 3) robust internal training available, 4) BFDS offers a strong benefits package.
Cons
Mature industry so company is not growing, hard to gain a diverse skill set, hard to develop a technical skillset usable outstide BFDS, scary new wellness program reminiscent of Big Brother
Productive, mostly fun work place, good benefits and compensation
OPERATIONS SENIOR SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MANovember 3, 2012
In house training facility offers plenty of classes and distance learning
Proft sharing for all
Lack of challenges
Too much red tape and bureaucracy
No exposure or opportunity to learn anything new
Out of touch management
Promotions are not based on merit or knowledge but on who you know. Has a mom and pop kind of feel despite the size of the company.
Pros
good benefits, compensation, appreciation of staff, great technology, tuition reimbursement
Cons
no upward mobility, out of touch management, no cost of living adjustment, bonus only to management not staff
Do not recommend anyone to work there.
Fund Liaison (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAOctober 19, 2015
Horrible work-life balance. Very bad compensation. The only good thing there are benefits, health, dental and vacation.
Pros
Vacation, you get 3 weeks when you start
Cons
very low compensation
Financial Operations
Senior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 10, 2015
This experience set the bar for maintaining operational excellence and producing positive financial results. Quality standards were precisely explained, monitored and delivered based on guidance and training from upper management. I was able to advance by showcasing my skills while networking amongst leaders in various operational departments.
Pros
Overtime, Tokens of appreciation from various clients, Benefits
Good Co-Workers
Financial Processor (Dedicated Services (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAMay 26, 2016
I worked with processing financial transactions for high dollar amounts. Being in the operations field this came very natural to me, and was something that was interesting. I enjoyed it very much.
Pros
It was work that I enjoyed
Cons
No room for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Financial. Our community is ready to answer.