Boston Foundation for Sight Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
A professional but relatively close knit environment that forges lasting relationships
Senior Ophthalmic Technician (Current Employee) –  Needham, MADecember 27, 2013
BFS is a not for profit practice where patients with complex corneal diseases and corneal ectasias who are not tolerant to SCLs or RGPs and cannot achieve functional VA with specs come to be fit to BostonSight PROSE devices.
These are scleral lenses but not in the ordinary sense as they are virtually limitlessly customizable. Our doctors fit regional patients (sometimes over a period of several weeks or even a month or two) and distant patients (over a 2 week period) using a specialized CAD program to make fine changes in the edge, vault, base curve and other design and fit aspects.
I have learned more than I ever thought I would need to know about complex corneal disease and PROSE lens fits as well as problems that occur with patients who have certain diagnoses wearing PROSE devices.
My co-workers (docs, eye techs, lab techs and all those in various clerical and administrative positions) form a highly dedicated team with only the best possible outcome in mind for the patient, each individual approached as new case but with the backing of many years of experience and knowledge.
The best part of my job is to see a CF or HM patient who is so ridiculously photophobic from SJS that they are wearing sunglasses and broad brimmed hats INDOORS, apply our devices and watch them as they head outdoors w/o their sunglasses and as they read 20/25 or even 20/20.
The hardest part about my job is the commute. For most of my 28 years in this field I have commuted by trains, buses and auto 20 or more miles to work. Currently my commute is 30 miles and takes 90-100 or more minutes to go one way.
  more... This commute is getting tougher every day to endure and I would love to cut that time in half by securing a position closer to home. I live in Hull, MA and my dream job would be in Hingham, Cohasset, Weymouth, Braintree or Quincy but I would be OK with a position that required against the grain commuting as in Plymouth for instance.
If you managed to stay with me thus far, I thank you for that. Be well.
Pros
stocked kitchen with breakfast, lunch and snack items as well as coffee, tea, milk and juices for the patients and employees. .also, most years a generous bonus at years end.
Cons
expensive health insurance and that grueling commute.
very plesent place to work, with a big kitchen area for the staff and for the patients
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Needham, MASeptember 6, 2012
i get to meet a lot a pleople form all over the country and all around the world. loved how everyone is so nice and compassion, and carring, and there for each other, (staff and patients) i learned how to practice what i whent to school for and how important is to take care of who needs help the most. make people feel better about them selfes. i had no down time when i was working at the Boston Foundation for Sight.... the hardes part for me was leaving the place, and the most enjoyable was when we had patients go in practicaly blind, and seeing by the time they where ready to go home. that felt really good to be able to be there and experience that with them.
Enjoyed giving Vision to almost blind people
Director Clinical Operations & Optometrist (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAJuly 6, 2012
Lot of Keratoconus patients and Steven Johnson Syndrome patients to mange with Scleral Lenses. Learned to design and fit Boston Scleral Lenses. Exchanged my design of Fenestrated lenses for post PKP patients and pediatric patients.
Best place in the world to learn Scleral Lens fitting.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks

4.5