Boston Market Employee Reviews

Busy store but great team managing
Carver (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 24, 2016
Boston market has a good feel at home type of atmosphere and I always go into work knowing that I have a team that is fast and efficient behind me. The managers are great and I trust my managers with everything.although I don't have many hours I get just enough to pay my bills
Pros
Half off lunch, good employees
Cons
Short brakes, very busy, late night shifts
poor managment and really low pay
H.S. Manager (Former Employee) –  Safety Harbor, FLSeptember 23, 2016
I start working is a cashier, while the management team was changing they offer me to be an HSM, I trained and pass every aspect you need to know to run a shift in Boston Market, when I get back from my training, the GM we had he left and our GM was a new and young manager, with more of 20 employees it was a little bit of a disaster, everybody try to do our best but we had many conflicts between the young management, the hardest part of the job was seeing how the store was falling with many intern issues.
The best part was working with my co-workers and to give the best experience to our customers.
Pros
team work
Cons
pay
Great place to start
Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jericho, NYSeptember 20, 2016
I learned a lot as a first job there if your looking for a job I recommend you start there . I enjoy working there they help you out since there different positions there
An okay place to work
Cashier, Customer Service, Stocking (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 20, 2016
The management was absolutely terrible.They also didn't care for their employees.No type of benefits what so ever. Also they refsued to give me a raise after almost 2 years of working there, while people who barely did their job correctly started at a very high pay.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
never got breaks, ever
Fun easy-paced workplace
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILSeptember 19, 2016
The flow of the customers varied on the day and season so the days were fairly easy. Everyday there would be about two hours that we were super busy and everyone working was in the speedy mindset. I learned a lot of things about the restaurant business and the various types of restaurants. I learned the "ladder" system they used and learned a bit about the management system. Most of the managers were pretty awesome but when you got higher up like the district managers and such, they got a little stupid. The one I had did not seem to know how to run a restaurant and made a few "suggestions" that either wasted time that was not available or was a hazard in some way. They also procrastinated in making me a full certified trainer and then a hourly shift manager, we thought it might have partially been that she did not know how to make someone a certified trainer but then again, she did not bother on contacting someone else for help. The hardest part of the job was just really dealing with semi-useless managers. Nothing other than that was really bad. After a while, working at Boston Market actually became a stress reliever for me from the stress at home. After I learned everything about every position, the job became so easy and fun for me.
Pros
Occasionally got free food/lunches, fun coworkers/environment
Cons
Not as many benefits, hours kept on getting cut and they refused to hire more people, the managers and some staff members were working over 50 hours because of this.
Just another job
Hourly Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLSeptember 19, 2016
The company cared more about results than their employees.
Overworked and underpaid
Management would care more about themselves then their fellow coworkers.
Great first job
Side server/ Dishwasher/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 17, 2016
It was my first job i was absolutely terrible but they really helped me out because they want you to succeed. However when corporate got involved the environment always changed. Certain manager really know what the're doing and others not so much.
Pros
Free lunch good first job
Cons
management and pay
I enjoyed my time with boston market.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 17, 2016
It was a life changing experience . I love my staff and customer it was a great lesson to learn in the fast food industry. I really miss my staff n customer
a good place to work if you can afford to work there
Catering Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CASeptember 8, 2016
The people that one works with at the stores are generally nice and hardworking people. The managers I have dealt with directly have all been nice. My problems here all have to do with the pay. other than that it's a fine place to work
Pros
Flexible hours, nice people to work with, close to where I live
Cons
It is impossible to earn anything close to a living wage here as a catering driver
i didn't have the best experience with the company
Utility/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 8, 2016
it was a calm environment really didn't learn much employees were ok nothing was enjoyable the manage had its good and bad a lot of things could have better
Productive and busy workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Haven, CTAugust 31, 2016
Boston Market was a very busy workplace. That was my least favorite part at the time, because I didn't work well under pressure. This was my first job, to get me through training school. So I don't have a lot to say about Boston Market because I didn't last long enough to know enough about it.
Pros
Good element, Good enviorment
Cons
N/A
Nice place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 30, 2016
I will clock in. go check to see how much chicken has been cooked and how much chicken will have to be put in the oven. After that I make sure work space is nice and clean and start greeting all customers that come through the door and cutting the chicken the way the customer would like. Once the day is finish I will take out all the trash and bones from the chicken I have cut and put away all other food and also clean the oven. The most enjoyable thing about work would be working with the employees.
n/a
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 23, 2016
on a typical day Work in the front of the business taking orders
Serving food and drinks, and removing dinnerware from the table in a timely manner.
Responsible for taking money in the form of cash, check, or credit card.
Balances drawer, and processes card transactions.
Love the customers, the rest was okay.
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Union, NJAugust 22, 2016
Probably the friendliest people I have ever met came to eat at Boston Market. The majority of the staff was also quite wonderful. However, the new general manager who started I believe in September of 2014 is very rude. Nothing is every good enough and you can never catch a break. He was not understanding about anything (needing days off, not being able to work outside of availability), and kind of used the younger teens to his advantage in the sense that, they need the money so they'll work without a break, which I do not agree with. At this establishment I also reported harassment more than once on the same manager and nothing was done. If I could have eliminated the new GM and the one generic manager I reported, I would have never left!
Pros
Extremely close to home, lovely customers, good meal deals
Cons
General management, working all day on holidays
Awful! Avoid at all costs!!
Hourly Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 22, 2016
I have been a manager now for 4 years and have worked here for 5. This is one of the worst jobs I've ever had. Corporate is a mess and it just keeps getting worse and worse. They expect too much and don't take into account what is actually happening in the stores. They don't look at all at how busy a store is or how slow. They just make up these numbers and expect you to make them at all costs and if you don't reach goals every gosh darn day it's a huge issue and your job is threatened. Even if your store had a very slow day and your sales are down by a major amount they don't take that into account and threaten you into shoving these items down your customers throats. If your store is understaffed then it's tough crackers and you have to work 7 days a week for several weeks in a row until you can hire someone. The issue is that the area I'm working in right now we've only had 2 applications for several months and they couldn't take the job realizing how far it is. Despite that the upper management does NOTHING to help the store out. I haven't seen a raise in forever since I got moved to the new store! Reviews just came out and when looking at it, it's the same gosh darn review from my old store. I get reviewed in the same items and lose points because this store doesn't do catering or have a dining room. Instead of taking that into account with this store it's just left in there and I've lost points on it to get a raise! I will never be able to get a raise at this point unless they change the reviews to suit the individual stores. My store doesn't have catering so why am I  more... still getting reviewed on catering?? Boston Market is failing as a business and they are spending more money on stupid limited time only products and not on their employees or customers. They've resorted to forcing us to make customers pay 2.99 for a cup of ice cause they don't want to lose money on the cups. They make us hide all the napkins and utensils and salt and pepper packets to have more control so they don't lose money on little things like that. 2 napkins per customer they say. How the heck is a customer supposed to wipe themselves with just 2 napkins when our food is such a mess. They just keep cutting back on things and expect the stores to just be able to handle it when it's literally injuring our general managers. No kidding there. I've got at least 2 or 3 that I know of from not just my store but other stores that are in and out of the hospital due to stress from the job. It's taking a toll on their bodies. It's taking a toll on my body and I'm just an HSS. If you can avoid this job, avoid it! I do not recommend trying to move up in this place or being hired as a manager. There's not much opportunity for it anyways. Also you cannot request a day off like at all. Some stores are so short staffed that even if you give the proper 2 weeks notice or even a month notice in advanced you will get denied the day off. My current boss took the calender down because she got sick of all the requests and is no longer accepting them unless the current month is up there. Its so rediculous. Boston Market sucks and I've had enough of it. The only pro to this place is the free food as a manager and the good employees if you wind up with some.  less
Pros
Free food
Cons
Break management, hours, wage, upper management, zero flexibilty (when it is clearly advertised in their hiring poster) pretty much everything else
Good company
Protein Handler (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 19, 2016
This is how every company that deals with food should be ran. Excellent customer and employee understanding, and the food is amazing.
went through three mangers in the time i worked there.
Trainer/Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIAugust 19, 2016
Went through 3 general mangers in the 1 and half years i worked there. the store felt divided with mangers. Thanksgiving and Easter and the other holidays were crazy busy there.
Unprofessional
CASHIER / DRIVE THRU QUEEN (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 10, 2016
I usually worked drive thru , so I would take orders with my sweetest of voices, handled money , checked to make sure everything in the bag was correct before handing it out , tried my best to have a conversation with the customers through the window . I learned that I am a strong person and that I am very smart. I shouldn't be settling for less than what I'm worth. I was promised a raise after working there for 4 months , and also possible management position. I worked several doubles, basically did anything and everything I could. Dishes, served, took orders at the front cash if there was no cars, rolled silverware, cleaned bathrooms, swept and mopped lobby at nights. I've stayed 2 hours after the store had closed to help with dishes so my managers wouldn't be stuck there alone doing them by themselves, I worked a double on a Saturday, and was scheduled for a double on Sunday, but they needed me in 2 hours earlier. I show up at 10 am ready for whatever they threw at me, and no one was there. But when evaluation came around, I had made mainly 5's on a 1-5 scale, but still did not receive my promotion nor a raise . I simply had to quit because I am now living off of 6 dollars for the next 2 weeks until I would have gotten paid again, after bills. I've talked with them several times about this and word for word I got "That's how a job works".
Pros
I loved the people I worked with, we became really close really fast, and they could handle all my hyper craziness.
Cons
Managers had favoritism, no free meals unless you work a double
A day at Boston Market
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 9, 2016
A typical day consisted of greeting customer's, preparing their plates as well as cashing their orders out. I would walk customer to their table and then clean table when they're finished eating their meal.
Pros
Working with others
Least favorite job
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 8, 2016
Didn't like working for a military base. Everyday they put you in a new food service area. Management very unprofessional