Boston Pacific Company, Inc. (Boston Pacific), a Washington, DC-based consulting firm, is seeking to hire an Energy Consultant with up to 3 years of experience whose skills and insight will significantly contribute to our high-profile consulting projects. Our specialization in the energy industry gives Energy Consultants the unique opportunity to gain valuable experience in current energy matters, have client contact, and work closely with senior members of our team. Energy Consultants can expect to participate in a small-team environment, providing critical input alongside senior personnel to further our clients’ goals.
- 0-3 years work experience.
- Degree in economics, engineering, physical sciences, math or business.
- Excellent academic record from a top university.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A strong focus on providing only the highest quality of service to clients.
- A self-starter who is willing to take on significant responsibility.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Knowledge of Excel.
- A serious interest in developing expertise in the energy sector through smart, hard work.
- Previous consulting experience.
- Masters degree.
- Experience with VBA, SQL, PROMOD, Strategist, or other similar programs.
Responsibilities of the Energy Consultant include:
- Analyzing data sets and results of energy auctions.
- Updating Excel models for our auctions and RFPs and helping to stress test bidding platforms.
- Creating and updating presentations and reports for our clients, some with short deadlines.
- Analyzing market trends such as those for shale gas and environmental regulations.
- Researching, reviewing, and summarizing regulatory filings to help prepare expert testimony.
- Reviewing and interpreting opposing parties’ testimonies and analysis in court proceedings.
- Fact checking internal reports and memos for quality assurance.
- Conducting marketing and internal policy research.
- Writing and editing sections of reports, presentations, marketing materials, and other documents.
Boston Pacific’s goal is to make an important impact, and, therefore, much of our current work focuses on the design and management of competitive markets and competitive procurements for electricity and natural gas. This is where real decisions are being made on which fuels, which technologies, and which companies will define the future. Examples of our work include:
- Justified, designed, and ran a competitive procurement for new natural gas-fired capacity for the Maryland Public Service Commission.
- Developed and implemented a framework for the evaluation of off-shore wind resources under new legislation in New Jersey.
- Testified on the merits of a utility’s settlement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency calling for the retirement of coal-fired power plants and their replacement with natural-gas fired power.
- Assessed, for the Southwest Power Pool Regional Transmission Organization Board of Directors, a new comprehensive market design that changes the way electricity is bought and sold in eight U.S. States; the market design includes a day-ahead market, transmission rights, virtual bidding, and many other innovative features—this is our eighth year of service as advisors to the Board.
- Helped design and run a first-of-a-kind competitive procurement for long-term Renewable Energy Credits for the Illinois Commission.
- Conducted for Isagen, a large South American utility, a feasibility study for what would be the first geothermal power plant in Colombia.
- Monitored, for the New Jersey State Commission, one of the largest and most sophisticated auctions for electricity in the country—we are in our seventh year of service for the Commission.
- Monitored important auctions and Requests for Proposals for State Commissions in Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Oregon, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and the District of Columbia—we have served most of these Commissions for many years.
- Designed and conducted auctions for transmission capacity on merchant transmission projects, including a project that will deliver wind energy to Las Vegas and the desert southwest.
- Audited for FERC the remedial actions taken by a utility after a major outage.
- Assessed the financial and engineering feasibility of a “Clean Coal” (Integrated Gasification Combined Cycle) facility for the Illinois State Commission, and assessed the financial feasibility of a second clean coal project for the Mississippi State Commission.
- Assessed and testified on the acquisition of a large wind farm by a major utility in Oklahoma.
- Submitted expert testimony in Canada before three different Provincial Commissions, including Alberta, Quebec, and British Columbia, on matters ranging from the interpretation of U.S. requirements for foreign entities conducting business in U.S. electricity markets to economic analysis of electricity market design
Boston Pacific is a highly-specialized consulting firm serving the electricity and natural gas sectors on high-profile engagements. For 25...