Boston Pizza Employee Reviews in United States

horrid awful and rude
line cook, prep cook (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 25, 2015
Honestly I have never seen a workplace be run according to who you did or didn't make friends with, I came from high school and walked back into it. I got yelled at ridiculed and made to feel incompetent, I didn't get my proper pay on several occasions on top of the fact I've worked here for almost a year an x I can count the amount of times I've gotten a break on one hand. I've had to stand for 9 hours and not get paid Ihave watched people that have worked there for 2 weeks get promoted and have myself stuck at JUST over minimum wage. And me he by a good employee I've only called in sick a handful of times and when I did I was told that I have to come in because there's so one to cover it for me. I cover constantly. the last straw with me was when Iclosed their kitchen the night before and because I was tired and didn't want a shift the next day they told me they were going to keep my tip pool if I didn't come in. That's when I quit
Pros
fun kitchen staff
Cons
long hours, rude servers and management, felt as if no matter how hard i worked i was never gonna work hard enough
fun place to work
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 21, 2015
I go in and check what promotions we have or if there is anything that's 86. Also, I ensure what tables are being transferred to me and check to see what staff I am working with. In this environment I learned that everyday is a new experience with guests and staff. It is important to have co works that our on the same page as you. We are suppose to work as a team, in the bar I work alone so it can get difficult when no one comes out to check on me. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting and socializing with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
Pros
good way to network
Cons
tips dont count as wages 18
Fun, energetic place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Abingdon, MDApril 10, 2016
A typical day at work includes working as a team to get all stations prepped for the day and to keep everything clean and stocked as we go. I get anywhere from 4 to 10 table sections on any given day, and will work 14 hour or so doubles, sometimes straight through (by personal choice of course). I have learned more about beer and I am learning more about liquor and wine now. I have learned how to better upsell and increase my sales. I have a great relationship with management. We all work really well together and communicate well and we all vibe off of each other at work. For the most part I love all of my co-workers and enjoy working with everyone. There are the handful of people who create unnecessary drama or haven't learned how to do their job properly so it can make my job a little harder. However I do my best to just avoid any drama and focus on my work and I try to help anyone with their work whenever I can. The hardest part of my job is probably making it back into the kitchen to be able to run my own food to my tables because I am usually so busy during a rush at my tables taking orders, getting refills and anything they might need and pre-bussing. The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. I get some fantastic people at my tables and they are an absolute pleasure to serve. It is even better when I get a table that I have served before and they remembered me and said they had such a good time the last time that they came back again. Making them happy and seeing them enjoying their time there is the best.
Pros
Associate discount, decent hours and sections, they give me a lot of responsibility, great co-worker relations
Cons
Some slow days
Lack of structure and direction
POS Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2013
I would rather not say much about the company other than they lack structure and direction from the top down. The owners of the company have a great vision and goals in mind. The concerns come when the owners are not in the office, 85% of the year. The individual who has been put at the helm of the ship, does not have the same vision and goals as the owners, thus the disconnect and lack of direction. Very little inter and cross departmental conversation.
Pros
meal plan, employee parties, compensation
Cons
communication, direction and management
Fun, dynamic but unreliable enviroment
Server, Hostess and Busboy (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 12, 2015
A typical work day you were booked a shift however how long you were going to stay was always unreliable because it depended on how busy the restaurant was. Although because of this i learned to be very flexible. It also taught me allot about working with lots of different kinds of personalities and conflict resolution when not everyone got along. The management did a poor job in training people as everyone had to learn their required skills on their own. This was the probably the hardest part as it was all self taught education. The most enjoyable part was working with people that ended up being some good friends of mine and the memories that we made over the years working there.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
no room to further the position
Absolutely Fantastic
Manager / NFL Host / Bartender (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 15, 2014
Was very fortunate to work with excellent people. Culture was terrific and staff was always striving to succeed in every aspect. Sales goals were met routinely and marketing initiatives surrounding major sporting events were created and employed as a team led by upper management with cooperation from various partners and head office.
fun work place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAMay 22, 2014
I really enjoyed working here and was a little sad to leave. My day at work was in the afternoon and I would take over the cash register and answer the phones and take orders. I would always smile at the costumers and my co workers. Even if some one would come in not having a good day they would lev with a smile because I made them smile. And if there was a problem with an order I would take care of it. I met a lot of people in fact till this day people ask me don't I know you, didn't you work at Boston Pizza. And just that would make me smile and know that people so miss me there. We would take our breaks and the food was free for us and that was a plus also as well but then we all worked so well together that we considered us as the Boston Pizza family.At the end of my shift I would count all the money ann put it away in a safe place and clean around and lock up and go home.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
no benefits
A great workplace to interact and meet new people.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2014
Boston Pizza is a great place to work at! It is fast-paced, friendly and a great place to practice and improve my customer service skill. Over the years, i have taken various positions and responsibility in the restaurant. I started as a host and have my way up to supervisor. My responsibilities include; opening and closing restaurant, serving guests, deal with customer complaint, task delegation and many more. The hardest part of being in the restaurant business would be the long hours that is required but the ability to interact with customers and making sure their visit are enjoyable definitely triumph that!
Pros
constantly interacting with new people, fast-paced
Cons
It was a co-op training and I'm glad I did it.
Hosting, Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 28, 2014
It was a little chaotic because of the Management changes about half way through they changes a lot of the staff. I got to learn the computer system as well they showed me some basic expo skills. I really didn't learn as much as I wanted but it was only a short time. Management seemed nice but I didn't really get to know them.
The staff they did have hired that stayed were quite nice hard workers. The hardest part of this was the time constraint I was rushed doing many things and ended up learning vary little. The most enjoyable part was being able to set up the rooms alone after one lesson and having full control within the first week.
was fun and great for learning
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2015
I would be an opener and help set up the kitchen in the morning preapring the food for the next couple of days making sure there is always food in stock. I would make all the pizza dough for the next 2 days and would toss out the old dough. most enjoyable part of the game was sense of team work while working on busy nights . The hardest part is how hot it can get cooking in the summer behind 3 ovens.
Pros
good work invorenment
Cons
Everyone is very friendly and welcoming.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 10, 2013
Working with a variety of different cultures. Talking to them and seeing their insite of Las Vegas. Boston Pizza is a very fast past work place which I love to be on the go. Management is very caring and understanding to every employees needs.
There was a lot of internal fighting within the organization, not great team work and it was very difficult to change the culture.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 12, 2014
Shifts were very long - 10 hrs on average. often had to work till 3 am and then back in for 10am. Training was very weak and teamwork within the restaurant was poor at best.

There were some good people that worked there and the regular guests were fantastic.
Pros
the food was free and the quality of the food was excellent
Cons
the hours were very long and provided no work life balance.
Solid job opportunity with reliable management
To-go Specialist/Host (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 14, 2013
At work, I am the to-go specialist and constantly take to-go orders everyday and also attend to needs of our guest. I have learned patience, reliability, and solid work ethic at Boston's. Since I have been here for 6 years, I have enjoyed the management though some days were challenging because of attitudes and dealing with personalities. My co-workers were very friendly however they come and go during the seasons due to school and other job opportunities.
Pros
discount meals, multiple days off, cleanliness
Cons
slow business during the work week
Very poor employer
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 11, 2014
In my almost year and a half experience working with Boston Pizza, I learned one thing. You don't get ahead, working for someone else.

With only three weeks of training prior to our location opening, we were thrust into full fledged restaurant kitchen duties, while management did their best whip cracking to try and motivate my fellow staff.

The promises of tip pool, company parties, bonuses and promotions were always talked about, but almost never actually provided.
90% of the kitchen staff were getting by on minimum wage, while consistently being expected to carry a larger and larger workload. Frequently short staffed, and poorly coordinated, with management often motivating via threats and bullying instead of positivity and coaching.

I can recall on several occasions where I personally was asked to run the entire kitchen solo, while my supervising manager spent a majority of his shift sitting in the lounge with a few of his friends, chatting. On company time.

They seem to promote via popularity rather than on merit, and while companies like McDonalds and Perkins are paying their starting cooks almost two dollars more for the same work, BP consistently claims raises happen each year. And yet, with more than 446 days worked for them, I know of several, frequently manager acclaimed employees, myself included, who never ONCE saw so much as an added cent.

Now we move on to cleanliness.

Never before, in all my years of kitchen work have I seen management disregard basic food handling principles as frequently as I saw here. Our assistant kitchen manager on no less than two
  more... separate occasions, has placed food dropped on the floor back on the line. I was so disgusted I nearly quit on the spot.

I cannot in good conscience recommend this place to anyone. Whether they be seeking work, or just hungry, my advice would be "Anywhere else."
Pros
non-management staff build fantastic camaraderie
Cons
camaraderie does not pay the bills. as listed above, the cons far outweigh the pros.
Always busy
Dish washer, outdoor labourer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 11, 2013
-A typicial day at work was basically fast because there was always dishs to wash and it kept me very busy, making the day go by fast.
-I learned how to wash dishs to be crystal clear.
-Management was great and co-workers were also very interesting to get to know and were very supportive.
-The hardest part of the job was washing dishs under very hot water.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was co-workers being supportive.
Pros
supportive team work from co-workers
Cons
very hot water washing dishs
Delivery Job
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 26, 2014
At a typical day at work I delivery food to houses in the neighborhood of Boston Pizza. I've learned and adjusted to provide food at a fast pace. The management and co-workers are extremely friendly and manage the restaurant in a very pleasant way. The hardest part of the job is delivering when it is snowing. The most enjoyable part of the job is earning great tips from customers.
Like one big family!
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 30, 2012
The average day consisted of begin assigned to a cooking station and making sure all order's were prepared in a timely safe manner.
I learned advanced time management and multi-tasking skills.
The manergers were so nice and very understanding on many levels.
Hardest part of this job was leaving all the staff when I found another job.
The best part of this job was the people I worked with!
Pros
great work environment.
Cons
stressful at peak operating times.
Learned a lot from working for this company.
Kitchen Supervisor/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILAugust 8, 2014
If your looking for advancement forget about it. You learn the do's and don'ts. As long as your a good foot soldier and listen to whatever they tell you to do. Nothing really changes except your hours. You could work 35 hours or 8.
Pros
breaks
Cons
discount lunches
productive hard working enviorment
Cook/Delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2015
On a typical work day it Is pretty busy and it has taught me how to work quickly and efficiently. Co-workers at Boston pizza have been the best people to work with and I don't regret working a single day at this job
Pros
the discount and great co-workers
Cons
sometimes the late hours
Great work environment
Hostess, Server & Bartender (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 19, 2015
Working at Boston Pizza throughout the years has provided me with a great work environment that I looked forward to going into everyday. I was able to learn various customer service skills and many skills that are transferable job to job!