Boston Public Health Commission Employee Reviews

Productive and great group of dedicated people to work with.
Public Health Advocate II / AHOPE (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 14, 2015
I love my team! We are all committed to the work we do servicing underserved populations. Everyone is very passionate about the work to improve healthcare outcomes and access for high risk populations.
Great view of the public sector
Healthy Choice Program Outreach Educator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 21, 2015
Would love an opportunity to go back where I can serve my community. It was a great experience and gave me an inkling on how the public sector operates
Tobacco Control
Tobacco Control Youth Access Agent (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2015
I worked as Tobacco agent going throughout the city of Boston to see if permitted stores would sell cigarettes to me as a minor; that was a typical day. Working at BPHC i started to become more observant, and how stern store owners were when enforcing the law of illegal smoking, and purchasing them. It's funny because i noticed the many people advertising these signs in their store ignored them when selling.
Pros
accessible by T
Great supportive team
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2015
Being an intern through their School Based Health program allowed me to improve on my clinical skills. I met with high school teens on an individual basis and also facilitated some groups. It was a great opportunity to hone my skills and I learned how to collaborate with a team.
Pros
Supportive atmostphere
Great Field.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2015
Mission, vision and values are consistent to tenements of public health practice.
The organization consistently delivers services to Boston residents, particularly the most vulnerable.
The majority of the staff is committed to providing quality services.
The organization emphasizes on social determinants of health, and racial health inequities.
Consistently educates on health in all policies.
Pros
Great people
Cons
There is a high bureaucracy mentality, with low customer service mentality, both internally and externally.
Rewarding work with the chronic dual diagnosis
COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 27, 2015
A lot of coordinatiion with partners, vendors and other community agencies at the state and city level. Daily grind with clients that are chronic disabled, medically and mentally. Substance abuse addiction coincide with heavy trauma make it hard to plan ahead, therefore we are constantly re-adjusitng and focusing at the primary level.

The reward is to get someone off the street that has been homeless for 15-30 years.
Pros
Hands-on rewardng work with the most vulnerables
Cons
time consuming, constant coordination and mentally draining
The work was good.
Prep-Cook (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 25, 2015
I had liked the work at The Boston Public Health Commission, The work was very good and i had learned new things over there.
Pros
good co-workers.
Cons
the breaks was short.
extremely productive
HIV Testing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA 1010 Mass AveDecember 23, 2014
It was an awesome place to work. I would love to get a job with them again... This company gave me the opportunity to grow in the infectious disease field and until now I am carrying this knowledge with me. I have worked with homeless individuals, non homeless, transgender men/women, and different ethnic group of people. I was able to work with such rich diversity where I have learned how to be companionate, showing empathy and basically meet with people in whatever stages of recovery process they were in on that day.
Great environment that grows an individuals knowledge of health care
Public Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 20, 2014
A diverse work field that educates community on Healthcare, violence prevention, health insurance and job opportunities. The environment is welcoming and the employees are hard working.
Pros
health fairs, great health benefits
Cons
long hours, large amount of paper work to carry to health fairs
productive and fun workplace, plenty of room for growth
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 25, 2014
loved working here ,,,plenty of room for growth, loved my co workers

Want to know more about Boston Public Health Commission?

Ask a question
very educational
Intern at Health Education Program (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 10, 2014
my day starts with a group meeting on what to present to our partners from another program. we think about current issues in our community and how they can be resolve then we show them to our partners. ive learned alot from that job, especially how to take care of yourself from health issues. the management was great. they taught us step by step how to do a workshop and it was more than helpful. my coworkers were the best, whether we were working or on lunch break we always stuck together. the hardest part was thinking of what to present to our partners. with all of us having an idea, it was really hard deciding on what to focus on. the enjoyable parts were field trips on fridays and dental school on tuesdays.
productive
SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 3, 2014
The Boston Collaborative for Food and Fitness is a public facing site, which addresses issues related to food and fitness
Opportunity to work with under served populations with dedicated people.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR/ CLINICAL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 14, 2014
The Commission's addiction services serves the most vulnerable clients in the city and utilizes innovative programs and services. Overall a good place to work with co-workers who are dedicated to serving those in need.
Family oriented environment. Our goals are to serve the residence of Boston, especailly those that are most vulnerable and disenfranchise
Data Coordinator 3 (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 27, 2014
I start my day by meeting with my supervisor to summerise the tasks for the day. Priortise my tasks and projects. Meet with my co-workers discuss work related issues. The hardest part of the Job is providing support to customers both in and out of my work environment in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the Job is giving of my self by providing a service that help to benefit the residence of Boston, " To protect. preserve the health and well being of all Boston residents, particularly those that are most volunerable".BPHC
Great Flexibility
Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 10, 2014
Working at BPHC has help he grow professionally.The people who there are Great and do great work.
Great learning exprience and opportunity to network
Bureau Administrator/Fiscal Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 8, 2014
I learned time management skills
The management teams were diverse
My co-workers were diverse
The hardest part of the job was dealing with different personalities and different work ethics
The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling
It was challenging to work there . Many of my co-workers were very professional and well trained. We often worked as a team.
Clinician I (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 28, 2014
Boston Public Health was a good place to work. There was a very professional atmosphere and supportive staff. The nurses and doctors were supportive and valued the clinicians assessments of the clients and listened to us when there was a concern about a client.
Pros
watching some client's get their life back, family back, housing, return to school as a result of the methadone and counseling, the supportive co-workers and supervisors, the doctors and nurses were respectful and we all worked as a team.
Cons
too much documenation.
Time to upgrade my skills.
SharePoint Admin/Developer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 27, 2014
It is a good company but has been working here from past 3 years thought its time for me to move on.
Nic eplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 11, 2014
Nice place, nice people, room for advancement if your interested in public health field.
Productive and Educational
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 6, 2014
The most influential job for me because I was entrusted with responsibilities others at my position could not dream of. I was constantly sent out by my director to speak on behalf of my organization in meetings both in public and private. I learned a great deal of how government protocol and procedure works and what really goes on in the political sphere of the city. I had reports on every meeting I attended although I did not mind and had a really great boss who knew exactly how to motivate his team, never with pressure. I was extremely fortune to attain this position and rise within it so quickly.

4.4