Boston Public Health Commission Employee Reviews in United States

Benefit package is awesome
Assistant Coordinator/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 19, 2016
Always busy its hard to take lunches. I enjoy the immediate people I work with. I was able to upgrade after 8months. I like working with the most vulnerable population in the city the Homeless. I enjoys helping others and working with the Veteran's currently.
Pros
not having someone over your shoulder all the time
Cons
sometimes its hard to stop for lunch always busy
good work space
Men's Health Crew Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 22, 2016
I would usually sit at my computer and organize appointments for the car seat program that I was assigned to . it was to help any Boston resident who couldn't afford a car seat. the hardest part of the job was helping out customers who didn't speak English. my co workers where mostly into their job I didn't have any time to talk to anyone.
good workplace
(BPHC) Health CREW (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 5, 2016
I liked my coworkers. They were very friendly and pleasant to work with. My boss treated me well with respect. I would recommend work here at this job.
Pros
good workplace
Cons
nothing
Positive Places
Men's Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work for me is attending my workshop training and moving on to working with the patients in clinic . As a Men's Health counselor / family planner I assist health Specialist during different workshops providing care throughout the day. The most enjoyable part of my job is the community and being able to be hands on with them patients.
Pros
working on my own
Great environment that grows an individuals knowledge of health care
Public Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 20, 2014
A diverse work field that educates community on Healthcare, violence prevention, health insurance and job opportunities. The environment is welcoming and the employees are hard working.
Pros
health fairs, great health benefits
Cons
long hours, large amount of paper work to carry to health fairs
Productive and great group of dedicated people to work with.
Public Health Advocate II / AHOPE (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 14, 2015
I love my team! We are all committed to the work we do servicing underserved populations. Everyone is very passionate about the work to improve healthcare outcomes and access for high risk populations.
First Job in Boston
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 31, 2013
Since I was the only youngest at this job, everyone treated me as their sister, daughter and niece. We were like a family and I worked there for 3 years. My best part of this job was when i was offered to stay longer when initially i got this job only for 3 months.
Pros
long break
Cons
compensation
great place to work
Program Coordinator/Public Health Advocate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 1, 2013
Working at the Commission as allowed me to gain a vast knowledge of resources that is available in the community, in particular the most vulnerable population.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
35 hrs
Rewarding work with the chronic dual diagnosis
COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 27, 2015
A lot of coordinatiion with partners, vendors and other community agencies at the state and city level. Daily grind with clients that are chronic disabled, medically and mentally. Substance abuse addiction coincide with heavy trauma make it hard to plan ahead, therefore we are constantly re-adjusitng and focusing at the primary level.

The reward is to get someone off the street that has been homeless for 15-30 years.
Pros
Hands-on rewardng work with the most vulnerables
Cons
time consuming, constant coordination and mentally draining
Great Field.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2015
Mission, vision and values are consistent to tenements of public health practice.
The organization consistently delivers services to Boston residents, particularly the most vulnerable.
The majority of the staff is committed to providing quality services.
The organization emphasizes on social determinants of health, and racial health inequities.
Consistently educates on health in all policies.
Pros
Great people
Cons
There is a high bureaucracy mentality, with low customer service mentality, both internally and externally.
Tobacco Control
Tobacco Control Youth Access Agent (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2015
I worked as Tobacco agent going throughout the city of Boston to see if permitted stores would sell cigarettes to me as a minor; that was a typical day. Working at BPHC i started to become more observant, and how stern store owners were when enforcing the law of illegal smoking, and purchasing them. It's funny because i noticed the many people advertising these signs in their store ignored them when selling.
Pros
accessible by T
Great supportive team
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2015
Being an intern through their School Based Health program allowed me to improve on my clinical skills. I met with high school teens on an individual basis and also facilitated some groups. It was a great opportunity to hone my skills and I learned how to collaborate with a team.
Pros
Supportive atmostphere
very educational
Intern at Health Education Program (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 10, 2014
my day starts with a group meeting on what to present to our partners from another program. we think about current issues in our community and how they can be resolve then we show them to our partners. ive learned alot from that job, especially how to take care of yourself from health issues. the management was great. they taught us step by step how to do a workshop and it was more than helpful. my coworkers were the best, whether we were working or on lunch break we always stuck together. the hardest part was thinking of what to present to our partners. with all of us having an idea, it was really hard deciding on what to focus on. the enjoyable parts were field trips on fridays and dental school on tuesdays.
Great work place, and very helpful in advancing and continuing your professional carrer
Boston Men's HealthCREW Trainee (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 17, 2012
A typical day at work included a check-in, team builders, and icebreakers. Which were follwed by the staff meetings. Depending on the day, the staff would go to different sites and help prepare events and attend workshops that were trainings in conflict resolution and other work related issues. What was learned from this program was better management of microsoft office, and the ongoing issues around the community involving health inequites and obiesity. I also learned the right way to present a presentation, and great tips on how to facilitate a meeting. The hardest part of the job was geting to know people and getting comfortable in a different work envoirment.
Pros
great training, great employess, suportive staff
Cons
late start to the program, 30hrs per week, needs to be more
Great view of the public sector
Healthy Choice Program Outreach Educator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 21, 2015
Would love an opportunity to go back where I can serve my community. It was a great experience and gave me an inkling on how the public sector operates
The work was good.
Prep-Cook (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 25, 2015
I had liked the work at The Boston Public Health Commission, The work was very good and i had learned new things over there.
Pros
good co-workers.
Cons
the breaks was short.
extremely productive
HIV Testing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA 1010 Mass AveDecember 23, 2014
It was an awesome place to work. I would love to get a job with them again... This company gave me the opportunity to grow in the infectious disease field and until now I am carrying this knowledge with me. I have worked with homeless individuals, non homeless, transgender men/women, and different ethnic group of people. I was able to work with such rich diversity where I have learned how to be companionate, showing empathy and basically meet with people in whatever stages of recovery process they were in on that day.
Quiet and serious environment, easy-going the Boston Steps Program is a much needed organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 10, 2012
Walk into a very quiet office with several employees in their cubicle. I provided administrative support to the Program Director. I typed correspondence, contacted organizations and schools, set up meetings, managed her schedule, screened her calls, and perform data entry duties. I learned about how this org. help provide food for the poor and distribute information to the public especially the schools about eating healthy meals. The co-workers were mostly mature experienced people who was very knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was when the work was slow. The most enjoyable part of the job was being a part of the organization's mission to help feed the underprivileged.
Pros
quiet office with much need work
Cons
extremely quiet when the work was slow
Family oriented environment. Our goals are to serve the residence of Boston, especailly those that are most vulnerable and disenfranchise
Data Coordinator 3 (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 27, 2014
I start my day by meeting with my supervisor to summerise the tasks for the day. Priortise my tasks and projects. Meet with my co-workers discuss work related issues. The hardest part of the Job is providing support to customers both in and out of my work environment in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the Job is giving of my self by providing a service that help to benefit the residence of Boston, " To protect. preserve the health and well being of all Boston residents, particularly those that are most volunerable".BPHC
Balance
Fiscal Program Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2012
Fiscal responsibilities, administrative work. The management is understanding. My co-workers and have a great relationship. They are supportive, and keep open communication at all times. The hardest part of the job is that there isn't room to grow, learn, and experience more. The most enjoyable part is that the team is great, work gets done, and our department is a model department for other departments within the Commission.

4.3