Boston Public Health Commission Employee Reviews

Enjoy working with clients and the people I work with
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 1, 2017
BPHC provide important services to many vulnerable people in and around Boston. It's very rewarding when you see people who are given the opportunity to make positive changes in their lives.
Pros
job security, benefits, location
Cons
minimal raises and don't get paid for hour breaks
Fun while being productive
BAHEC (student) (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MANovember 15, 2016
This program was filled with opportunities to explore new careers, meet new people, and build relationships with connection into the health field or other particular careers.
Pros
free lunchs, nice people, nice/fun supervisors
Cons
bad lunch
homeless shelter w hot meals
Maintenance Team Member (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 23, 2016
My current job at The Woods Mullen Shelter is an inspirational experience. Working with the homeless woman of Boston has made me humble and a better person. It's taught me to have a lot of patience. A typical day at my work involves dumping about 10 barrels of trash, cleaning 4 bathrooms, a lobby, and a dorm. I also distribute all the linens, and blankets to over 200 beds. It's a lot of work but it fulfills my day.
Pros
great hours, free meals, weekly pay, great people
Cons
low pay
I liked working there
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2017
Changes all the time. Stays interesting. I liked meeting new people who are in the process of bettering their lives. The staff is extremely helpful with you, and works hard to help you reach your goals.
Pros
Free lunch and sometimes free clothes
Cons
Interaction with undesirable people on occasion
room for growth
Transitions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Mattapan, MAJuly 23, 2016
There is Definitely room for growth in this company if you are willing to grow. This place also pays really good and they give you free life insurance if you are full-time.
Pros
retirement
Cons
not flexible
good work space
Men's Health Crew Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 22, 2016
I would usually sit at my computer and organize appointments for the car seat program that I was assigned to . it was to help any Boston resident who couldn't afford a car seat. the hardest part of the job was helping out customers who didn't speak English. my co workers where mostly into their job I didn't have any time to talk to anyone.
Benefit package is awesome
Assistant Coordinator/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 19, 2016
Always busy its hard to take lunches. I enjoy the immediate people I work with. I was able to upgrade after 8months. I like working with the most vulnerable population in the city the Homeless. I enjoys helping others and working with the Veteran's currently.
Pros
not having someone over your shoulder all the time
Cons
sometimes its hard to stop for lunch always busy
good workplace
(BPHC) Health CREW (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 5, 2016
I liked my coworkers. They were very friendly and pleasant to work with. My boss treated me well with respect. I would recommend work here at this job.
Pros
good workplace
Cons
nothing
Great environment that grows an individuals knowledge of health care
Public Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 20, 2014
A diverse work field that educates community on Healthcare, violence prevention, health insurance and job opportunities. The environment is welcoming and the employees are hard working.
Pros
Health fairs, Great Health benefits
Cons
long hours, large amount of paper work to carry to health fairs
Great work place, and very helpful in advancing and continuing your professional carrer
Boston Men's HealthCREW Trainee (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 17, 2012
A typical day at work included a check-in, team builders, and icebreakers. Which were follwed by the staff meetings. Depending on the day, the staff would go to different sites and help prepare events and attend workshops that were trainings in conflict resolution and other work related issues. What was learned from this program was better management of microsoft office, and the ongoing issues around the community involving health inequites and obiesity. I also learned the right way to present a presentation, and great tips on how to facilitate a meeting. The hardest part of the job was geting to know people and getting comfortable in a different work envoirment.
Pros
great training, great employess, suportive staff
Cons
late start to the program, 30hrs per week, needs to be more
very educational
Intern at Health Education Program (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 10, 2014
my day starts with a group meeting on what to present to our partners from another program. we think about current issues in our community and how they can be resolve then we show them to our partners. ive learned alot from that job, especially how to take care of yourself from health issues. the management was great. they taught us step by step how to do a workshop and it was more than helpful. my coworkers were the best, whether we were working or on lunch break we always stuck together. the hardest part was thinking of what to present to our partners. with all of us having an idea, it was really hard deciding on what to focus on. the enjoyable parts were field trips on fridays and dental school on tuesdays.
Positive Places
Men's Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work for me is attending my workshop training and moving on to working with the patients in clinic . As a Men's Health counselor / family planner I assist health Specialist during different workshops providing care throughout the day. The most enjoyable part of my job is the community and being able to be hands on with them patients.
Pros
working on my own
Balance
Fiscal Program Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2012
Fiscal responsibilities, administrative work. The management is understanding. My co-workers and have a great relationship. They are supportive, and keep open communication at all times. The hardest part of the job is that there isn't room to grow, learn, and experience more. The most enjoyable part is that the team is great, work gets done, and our department is a model department for other departments within the Commission.
Great learning exprience and opportunity to network
Bureau Administrator/Fiscal Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 8, 2014
I learned time management skills
The management teams were diverse
My co-workers were diverse
The hardest part of the job was dealing with different personalities and different work ethics
The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling
Rewarding work with the chronic dual diagnosis
COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 27, 2015
A lot of coordinatiion with partners, vendors and other community agencies at the state and city level. Daily grind with clients that are chronic disabled, medically and mentally. Substance abuse addiction coincide with heavy trauma make it hard to plan ahead, therefore we are constantly re-adjusitng and focusing at the primary level.

The reward is to get someone off the street that has been homeless for 15-30 years.
Pros
Hands-on rewardng work with the most vulnerables
Cons
time consuming, constant coordination and mentally draining
Quiet and serious environment, easy-going the Boston Steps Program is a much needed organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 10, 2012
Walk into a very quiet office with several employees in their cubicle. I provided administrative support to the Program Director. I typed correspondence, contacted organizations and schools, set up meetings, managed her schedule, screened her calls, and perform data entry duties. I learned about how this org. help provide food for the poor and distribute information to the public especially the schools about eating healthy meals. The co-workers were mostly mature experienced people who was very knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was when the work was slow. The most enjoyable part of the job was being a part of the organization's mission to help feed the underprivileged.
Pros
quiet office with much need work
Cons
extremely quiet when the work was slow
First Job in Boston
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 31, 2013
Since I was the only youngest at this job, everyone treated me as their sister, daughter and niece. We were like a family and I worked there for 3 years. My best part of this job was when i was offered to stay longer when initially i got this job only for 3 months.
Pros
long break
Cons
compensation
Great Field.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2015
Mission, vision and values are consistent to tenements of public health practice.
The organization consistently delivers services to Boston residents, particularly the most vulnerable.
The majority of the staff is committed to providing quality services.
The organization emphasizes on social determinants of health, and racial health inequities.
Consistently educates on health in all policies.
Pros
Great people
Cons
There is a high bureaucracy mentality, with low customer service mentality, both internally and externally.
Family oriented environment. Our goals are to serve the residence of Boston, especailly those that are most vulnerable and disenfranchise
Data Coordinator 3 (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 27, 2014
I start my day by meeting with my supervisor to summerise the tasks for the day. Priortise my tasks and projects. Meet with my co-workers discuss work related issues. The hardest part of the Job is providing support to customers both in and out of my work environment in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the Job is giving of my self by providing a service that help to benefit the residence of Boston, " To protect. preserve the health and well being of all Boston residents, particularly those that are most volunerable".BPHC
great place to work
Program Coordinator/Public Health Advocate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 1, 2013
Working at the Commission as allowed me to gain a vast knowledge of resources that is available in the community, in particular the most vulnerable population.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
35 hrs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Public Health Commission. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3