Boston Public Schools

Boston Public Schools Employee Reviews

Very suppotive working atmosphere
Family Education Program Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 13, 2015
Pros: learning environment
Cons: on-going lay offs
Enjoyed going to work, wonderful co-workers, great families, learned a lot, going to be hard to say good bye, now its time for me to move on. Not looking forward to starting over at a new place
great college access program to help students
GEAR UP AMERICAN STUDENT ASSISTANCE (Current Employee), Boston, MAMay 7, 2015
Pros: the students, flexibility with work schedule, and professional development opportunities
Cons: not enough room for growth, pay, and the push back from administration, and engaging more students, structure
This has been a great place to work.

The most rewarding part is doing educational college field trips with students.

Seeing students get accepted to college

Seeing students make a positive change in their academic lives

Providing relevant educational workshops to the students about money saving tips in regards to higher education.

Working within a high school community

Hardest part of my job is getting classroom access, support from administration to get said access. Communicating to HS community that we have more resources to offer than just a dollar amount to contribute to events. Also to get more than the same 40-80 kids involved in college access and educational events.
Work at BPS
Resource Teacher /Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Boston, MAApril 12, 2015
Pros: Great students
Cons: Inconsistency
Boston Public School is a great place to work. The students are willing to learn and are excited about engaging. In many of our school the administration supports the teachers in their quest to closing the achievement gap.
Great place!
Chegg Textbook Solutions Author (Current Employee), Boston, MAApril 7, 2015
Great place to work! I can not picture myself working for a different school district. Teachers are knowledgeable and the schools are improving.
Principal Intern, EdisonK8 (Current Employee), Boston, MAApril 6, 2015
Very reflective district committed to addressing issues of achievement gap for minority and ELL students. I have learned a lot from the professional development and other learning opportunities offered.
Working with Boston Public Schools is an awesome place to work with excellent co-workers
Registration Specialist (Former Employee), Roslindale, MAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: building always cold
Even though I was just a temp job at Boston Public school - Welcome Center. I have learned to be more a family counselor to help family to choice a school for their child(ren). And, to help them to registered their children to school. Provide a first-rate customer service to all visitors as well.
John P Holland Elementary School
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: the dedicated staff and pleasant work environment
Cons: working under the level 5 status
Boston Public Schools Substitute Central has a very organized system which allows Per-Diem Substitute Teachers to access the vacancy line. There is always a position available. I also worked as a Long-Term Substitute Teacher at the John P Holland Elementary School. It was at level 5 and knew the would be taken over by the state. The administration and teacher worked over and above their ability to give the students the best education possible.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: dynamic work environment, never to stationary keeps it new and interesting.
Cons: lack of ability to see the work you start through to the finish, such as students graduating etc.
A typical day at work as a substitute can mean anything because you are going to be placed with a new set of children. I have learned that I have patience and I am good with handling conflict. My co-workers were usually older than me and gave me vital advice in work and life. The hardest part of the job is its lack of continuity, you seldom work with the same children very long. The most enjoyable part of the job was reaching the students, many students lack a powerful relationship with staff which in part makes teaching them difficult.
my daily routine
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 6, 2015
i monitor kids and behaviors
i help and support coworkers and teachers including the students
making sure students are being safe
tutoring
assisting in class work
benefits are great
peers at work are very supportive and very understanding.
Challenging yet rewarding, worked at various public schools in Boston.
RN (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 31, 2014
Pros: school vacations, snow days, holidays and weekends off, summer.
Cons: no breaks during the day, incredible amounts of responsibility without great pay.
I enjoyed school nursing, it's much more involved than I had thought. You are usually the only health professional in the building caring for both staff and hundreds of children. Responsibilities including triage care, endless paperwork - make sure everyone is up to date with vaccines and physical exams, calling parents and doctors daily to get this information. Be prepared for any and everything. Many children have life threatening allergies, seizure disorders to name a few. Also, there are many inclusion schools, meaning children with special health care needs are immersed into the public schools. These medically dependent children include a vast majority of wheelchair bound children, several with g-tubes for feeding and medication administration, some with colostomy's, behavioral disorders, neglet, abuse and even homelessness. The nurses all contact each other from other schools with questions, there are PD's once a month and various meetings after the school days. Constant contact with parent/guardians, headmaster/principal, teachers, school psychologists, guidance counselors, etc. The hardest part of the job is only being able to do so much for some children - they simply have been born into neglectful families and suffer from imaginable difficulties. I have to call 51A (DSS) however many children still remain in their homes or become foster children, getting split up from their siblings. The most enjoyable part of the day is children coming up to me in the hallways and giving me big hugs, "you're the best nurse!"
Great Learning enviroment
Internship (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 14, 2014
I had the opportunity to learn from the BESt during this internship at BPS. I had a chance to support the Parent University team with outreach and workshops. I wish I would've started my internship there the year prior.
A day of hard work.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 3, 2014
After a day of work you are extremely tired but if you would to see kids successful, you enjoy it.
Excellent opportunity to work for less fortunate communities.
Cluster Substitute, Grade 1 Inclusion (Current Employee), boston, maNovember 2, 2014
Pros: weekends and holiday breaks, benefits and compensation, union, adequacy, a sense of accomplishment by the end of the day
Cons: stressful, breaks are never truly "duty free", after school professional development
Working for BPS is truly rewarding. Its an awesome way to give back to the community and work in the inner city with children that are less fortunate. The children are given the opportunity to explore and learn things beyond the typical classroom setting. Relationships are build with parents to enrich the teaching experience.
great environment
Bus Monitor (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 28, 2014
great working here with great people love the atmosphere,postive vibes
Education is the key to success!
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 4, 2014
Busy, past paced environment. The focus is always the CHILDREN!
All About The Children
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: breaks
Working in the inner City with children is a very challeging job. You really have to be able to wear many hats. You learn very fast not to judge any child or their situation. Building trust with a child is the best thing you can do. Then you are able to see the challenges and help the child and family with resources. Classroom managemant must be stern with consistency or you will not have any classrooom management. You always have to work as a team with your co-workers. The hardest part of my job is seeing what childdren have to live with in their home environments. The most enjoyable part of my job is the accomplistment inner city children can achieve with resilence and pride under unbelievable circumstances
A nuturing learning community for children
Teacher (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: working was young children is one of the most rewarding careers a person could have.
Cons: teaching can sometimes be a stressful job. it is a huge responsibility.
Children were provided with a wide variety of learning experiences across all disciplines. I learned that people have many different styles of learning. Sometimes management and teachers didn't agree, but we always seemed to work things out. My coworkers were a very diverse group of people, but we had a common goal, success for all students. The biggest challenge of this job was differentiating instruction so that each child could be successful.The most enjoyable part of the job was celebrating the sucesses of each child.
Working for BPS was both challenging and exciting.
English Teacher (Former Employee), Madison Park H.SAugust 8, 2014
Working for Boston Public Schools was both challenging and exciting. I found it culturally diverse, and sometimes innovative.
Some drawbacks were frequent changes in administration. Lack of leadership and maintaining discipline.

Some strengths were strong teamwork from associates, and the opportunity to use my creativity in teaching. The benefits are also good.
Engaging and fun place to work
Family and Community Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee), Jamaica Plain, MAJuly 14, 2014
I enjoyed working with families in an urban school. Fast paced and busy.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Boston, MAJuly 1, 2014
Pros: freedom to choose what school and class i wanted to do
Cons: lack of teacher plans and organization
Supervised and proctored classes from Elementary to High School classes.

1 2 3