Boston Public Schools

Boston Public Schools Employer Reviews

John P Holland Elementary School
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: the dedicated staff and pleasant work environment
Cons: working under the level 5 status
Boston Public Schools Substitute Central has a very organized system which allows Per-Diem Substitute Teachers to access the vacancy line. There is always a position available. I also worked as a Long-Term Substitute Teacher at the John P Holland Elementary School. It was at level 5 and knew the would be taken over by the state. The administration and teacher worked over and above their ability to give the students the best education possible.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: dynamic work environment, never to stationary keeps it new and interesting.
Cons: lack of ability to see the work you start through to the finish, such as students graduating etc.
A typical day at work as a substitute can mean anything because you are going to be placed with a new set of children. I have learned that I have patience and I am good with handling conflict. My co-workers were usually older than me and gave me vital advice in work and life. The hardest part of the job is its lack of continuity, you seldom work with the same children very long. The most enjoyable part of the job was reaching the students, many students lack a powerful relationship with staff which in part makes teaching them difficult.
my daily routine
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 6, 2015
i monitor kids and behaviors
i help and support coworkers and teachers including the students
making sure students are being safe
tutoring
assisting in class work
benefits are great
peers at work are very supportive and very understanding.
Challenging yet rewarding, worked at various public schools in Boston.
RN (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 31, 2014
Pros: school vacations, snow days, holidays and weekends off, summer.
Cons: no breaks during the day, incredible amounts of responsibility without great pay.
I enjoyed school nursing, it's much more involved than I had thought. You are usually the only health professional in the building caring for both staff and hundreds of children. Responsibilities including triage care, endless paperwork - make sure everyone is up to date with vaccines and physical exams, calling parents and doctors daily to get this information. Be prepared for any and everything. Many children have life threatening allergies, seizure disorders to name a few. Also, there are many inclusion schools, meaning children with special health care needs are immersed into the public schools. These medically dependent children include a vast majority of wheelchair bound children, several with g-tubes for feeding and medication administration, some with colostomy's, behavioral disorders, neglet, abuse and even homelessness. The nurses all contact each other from other schools with questions, there are PD's once a month and various meetings after the school days. Constant contact with parent/guardians, headmaster/principal, teachers, school psychologists, guidance counselors, etc. The hardest part of the job is only being able to do so much for some children - they simply have been born into neglectful families and suffer from imaginable difficulties. I have to call 51A (DSS) however many children still remain in their homes or become foster children, getting split up from their siblings. The most enjoyable part of the day is children coming up to me in the hallways and giving me big hugs, "you're the best nurse!"
Great Learning enviroment
Internship (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 14, 2014
I had the opportunity to learn from the BESt during this internship at BPS. I had a chance to support the Parent University team with outreach and workshops. I wish I would've started my internship there the year prior.
A day of hard work.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 3, 2014
After a day of work you are extremely tired but if you would to see kids successful, you enjoy it.
Excellent opportunity to work for less fortunate communities.
Cluster Substitute, Grade 1 Inclusion (Current Employee), boston, maNovember 2, 2014
Pros: weekends and holiday breaks, benefits and compensation, union, adequacy, a sense of accomplishment by the end of the day
Cons: stressful, breaks are never truly "duty free", after school professional development
Working for BPS is truly rewarding. Its an awesome way to give back to the community and work in the inner city with children that are less fortunate. The children are given the opportunity to explore and learn things beyond the typical classroom setting. Relationships are build with parents to enrich the teaching experience.
great environment
Bus Monitor (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 28, 2014
great working here with great people love the atmosphere,postive vibes
Education is the key to success!
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 4, 2014
Busy, past paced environment. The focus is always the CHILDREN!
All About The Children
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: breaks
Working in the inner City with children is a very challeging job. You really have to be able to wear many hats. You learn very fast not to judge any child or their situation. Building trust with a child is the best thing you can do. Then you are able to see the challenges and help the child and family with resources. Classroom managemant must be stern with consistency or you will not have any classrooom management. You always have to work as a team with your co-workers. The hardest part of my job is seeing what childdren have to live with in their home environments. The most enjoyable part of my job is the accomplistment inner city children can achieve with resilence and pride under unbelievable circumstances
A nuturing learning community for children
Teacher (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: working was young children is one of the most rewarding careers a person could have.
Cons: teaching can sometimes be a stressful job. it is a huge responsibility.
Children were provided with a wide variety of learning experiences across all disciplines. I learned that people have many different styles of learning. Sometimes management and teachers didn't agree, but we always seemed to work things out. My coworkers were a very diverse group of people, but we had a common goal, success for all students. The biggest challenge of this job was differentiating instruction so that each child could be successful.The most enjoyable part of the job was celebrating the sucesses of each child.
Working for BPS was both challenging and exciting.
English Teacher (Former Employee), Madison Park H.SAugust 8, 2014
Working for Boston Public Schools was both challenging and exciting. I found it culturally diverse, and sometimes innovative.
Some drawbacks were frequent changes in administration. Lack of leadership and maintaining discipline.

Some strengths were strong teamwork from associates, and the opportunity to use my creativity in teaching. The benefits are also good.
Engaging and fun place to work
Family and Community Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee), Jamaica Plain, MAJuly 14, 2014
I enjoyed working with families in an urban school. Fast paced and busy.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Boston, MAJuly 1, 2014
Pros: freedom to choose what school and class i wanted to do
Cons: lack of teacher plans and organization
Supervised and proctored classes from Elementary to High School classes.
Fun and productive workplace
Boston Student Advisory Council (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 11, 2014
Pros: met mayor and govt. officials, free lunch, free trips
Cons: underestimated by govt officials because of our age, rejected proposals that were time extensive
Worked with other students and program leaders to help improve Boston public school policies that were not beneficial to high school students. As a group we analyzed the policies and gave suggestions where they needed improvement. Once we came up with solid proposals we would edit them and present them to thousands of students. We sent surveys to all the schools to gain the approval of our new suggested policies. If a majority of the students agreed we would than bring the proposals to school legislatures and government officials. We would present to them the statistics of the students that agreed with the new policy and explain why we believed they should change it. Our efforts in helping to alter existing policies was to diminish the drop out high school rate in Boston. We were extremely successful in changing many policies that were harmful to students. We also helped diminish the drop out high school rate in Boston public schools.
Exhausting
teacher (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 5, 2014
The students are amazing and I love my work, but it is exhausting and increasingly difficult to meet hundreds of demands while teaching from 6am until 5pm daily. It is very hard to sustain energy and enthusiasm and ways to advance within this company.
Boston Public Schools
Music Teacher (Former Employee), DorchesterMay 31, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: administration
Great Benefits and stable Job. It all depends what school you work.
First experience in the profession of teaching out of college.
First Grade Teacher - Oliver Wendell Holmes School (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: the students were disciplined and on level academically.
Cons: very racist environment
I found the system to be extremely racist. White parents would request white teachers for their children.
Great, get to help all the students in Boston
Registration Specialist (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2014
I enjoy helping people either with my language skills or knowledge acquired threw my professional experiences and PBS is a perfect place to apply all that.
excellent teaching skills. great interpersonal skills
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 30, 2014
I learned great ways to deliver excellent. great class management strategies.