Boston Public Schools Employee Reviews

Teaching is about giving back
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MADecember 11, 2015
Typical day include managing students, reinforcing values, norms and appropriate behaviors. Each day is different and no 2 students are alike, therefore management styles must be flexible and constantly shifting based on dynamics, class levels, and interactions. Co-workers are awesome and every effort is made to work collaboratively to support the student body as well as each other. The most challenging aspect of the job is the management of behavioral and extraneous issues associated with students and their families while trying to provide instruction
Pros
Teaching is rewarding
Cons
Teacing is difficult
Staff really cares about student achievement
School Department Employee (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2015
Each staff member puts in 110% of their efforts to help improve student achievement! Unfortunately, senior leaders do not put in the same effort for employee achievements!
Working for Boston Public Schools was a great experience
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 9, 2015
I worked for Boston Public Schools as a paraprofessional for about 5 years. I assisted the teacher in daily classroom activities. I lead the Early Reading group in the kindergarten room. Boston Public Schools is a great place to work except that there is no job security.
Demanding but satisfying teaching in an urban setting
Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2015
I teach Elementary Grade subjects within an urban context. The requirements for teaching are ever changing so the demands are great. Lots of professional development is necessary to keep the pace. There is support available although you must be active in seeking out what works for you. There is much needed data analysis and critical thinking on your feet.

I begin my day at 7:15 through an extended hour program which will end the school day at 3:30. I work with another teacher on a regular basis, We are required to meet to plan and develop opportunities for learning at least once a week. Excellent classroom management is paramount to student success. Collaboration is always desirable as many hands make light work.

The best part of my work is developing relationships with students and families.
Pros
No day is the same.
Cons
Tons of paperwork. Over testing young children.
A Nice day
Intern (Former Employee) –  DudleyAugust 28, 2015
Supportive management and a amazing workplace where everyone is communicating well.Also to gain an experience that can help in the future.
Teaching is it's own reward but management labor relations are poor
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 21, 2015
Boston Public Schools BPS, are going through an educational revolution in which corporate America has come to the classroom. Tenure and job security are a vestige of the past. Supervisor's are no longer required to be former teacher's but many administrator's are not certified in the content areas they are charged to supervise. Supervisors in BPS come young, often inexperienced with Education degrees and many have little or no classroom experience. Helping students is the best part of the profession along with colleague relations. I learned that urban education has accountability standards that are difficult to meet when evaluations are 50% based on student performance. Many urban students are second language learners, have high absenteeism, substantially below average graduation rates as well as social/economic/emotional issues that create unique classroom management challenges. There is a significant divide between labor and management relations unlike the suburbs. New teacher's won't have a problem as they won't have anything to compare it to but for mid career and veteran teachers, there has been a sea change in the culture between management and teachers in the Boston Public Schools.
Very nice environment
Nutrition Aide (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 20, 2015
I really enjoyed this place so many different people here. I was happy to meet so many with the same kind of goals,everyone wanted the same things for the kids to have a chance in life let them know they have a place in the world..
Overall I loved working there.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Madison Park Vocational H.S.August 3, 2015
Coworkers were very supportive. Administration however was not so supportive. I rated job security as fair however many teachers were losing their jobs. The academic subjects such as mine were the most secure.

In regards to JobWork/Life Balance, many times I found myself working long hours, after school, preparing lessons and grading papers, calling parents etc. but that goes with the territory.

Madison Park H.S was a large school with 2000 students and management of the school shifted hands frequently. Many times it seemed chaotic. Student would not receive their schedules promptly
and their were experimental courses and schedules which failed miserably. Compensation and benefits are high enough yet not the highest in the nation. Overall I rate BPS as fair although their are individual schools that I would rate excellent such as Boston Latin, and the Timilty Middle School with their Saturday classes.
Pros
Some Improvement in reading levels
Cons
High high school drop out rates, weak in the math and science scores
I taught math for regular and special Ed students at the high school level.
Special Ed/Lab Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 25, 2015
Prepared daily for lessons. I learned the different moods and background of all types of students. Managing the classroom was easy because I knew how to relate and catch their attention. I got along with all my peers because they saw the genuine nature of my reason for teaching. The hardest part was trying to deal with all the different attitudes and seeing some kids fall through the cracks. Seeing the students want to learn and better themselves was the most enjoyable.
Pros
Helping other achieve something in their lives.
Cons
Watching teachers not care.
Great place to learn and grow in the profession
Grade 2 Teacher, Title One Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dorchester,Mass.July 13, 2015
This job gave me opportunities to influence children to work to their potential and become productive citizens.One of the hardest parts of the job was the inability to have parents invest in their child's education.
Pros
Developing relationships and creating partnerships with families.
Cons
Excessively long work days on various occasions.
Daily Schedule
Special Needs Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 8, 2015
This position included monitoring of student's IEP, using varying lesson plans, and presenting quarterly and yearly updates regarding the student's progress.
Collaboration with other teachers was important and a much needed part of the day. The connection to colleagues was healthy and rewarding.
Pros
Working with other teachers and students is a rewarding position.
Cons
Working without the collaboration of colleagues makes the job stressful.
Productive and fun place to work
Academic Design Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MassachusttsMay 14, 2015
Great place to work and good opportunity for career advancement. Pleasant working environment and good benefits. The hardest part of the job was the politics involved with working for public education. I had great co-workers and managers.
Very suppotive working atmosphere
Family Education Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 13, 2015
Enjoyed going to work, wonderful co-workers, great families, learned a lot, going to be hard to say good bye, now its time for me to move on. Not looking forward to starting over at a new place
Pros
learning environment
Cons
on-going lay offs
great college access program to help students
GEAR UP AMERICAN STUDENT ASSISTANCE (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 7, 2015
This has been a great place to work.

The most rewarding part is doing educational college field trips with students.

Seeing students get accepted to college

Seeing students make a positive change in their academic lives

Providing relevant educational workshops to the students about money saving tips in regards to higher education.

Working within a high school community

Hardest part of my job is getting classroom access, support from administration to get said access. Communicating to HS community that we have more resources to offer than just a dollar amount to contribute to events. Also to get more than the same 40-80 kids involved in college access and educational events.
Pros
the students, flexibility with work schedule, and professional development opportunities
Cons
not enough room for growth, pay, and the push back from administration, and engaging more students, structure
Work at BPS
Resource Teacher /Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 12, 2015
Boston Public School is a great place to work. The students are willing to learn and are excited about engaging. In many of our school the administration supports the teachers in their quest to closing the achievement gap.
Pros
Great students
Cons
Inconsistency
Great place!
Chegg Textbook Solutions Author (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 7, 2015
Great place to work! I can not picture myself working for a different school district. Teachers are knowledgeable and the schools are improving.
Principal Intern, EdisonK8 (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 6, 2015
Very reflective district committed to addressing issues of achievement gap for minority and ELL students. I have learned a lot from the professional development and other learning opportunities offered.
Working with Boston Public Schools is an awesome place to work with excellent co-workers
Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roslindale, MAFebruary 19, 2015
Even though I was just a temp job at Boston Public school - Welcome Center. I have learned to be more a family counselor to help family to choice a school for their child(ren). And, to help them to registered their children to school. Provide a first-rate customer service to all visitors as well.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
building always cold
John P Holland Elementary School
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2015
Boston Public Schools Substitute Central has a very organized system which allows Per-Diem Substitute Teachers to access the vacancy line. There is always a position available. I also worked as a Long-Term Substitute Teacher at the John P Holland Elementary School. It was at level 5 and knew the would be taken over by the state. The administration and teacher worked over and above their ability to give the students the best education possible.
Pros
the dedicated staff and pleasant work environment
Cons
working under the level 5 status
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day at work as a substitute can mean anything because you are going to be placed with a new set of children. I have learned that I have patience and I am good with handling conflict. My co-workers were usually older than me and gave me vital advice in work and life. The hardest part of the job is its lack of continuity, you seldom work with the same children very long. The most enjoyable part of the job was reaching the students, many students lack a powerful relationship with staff which in part makes teaching them difficult.
Pros
dynamic work environment, never to stationary keeps it new and interesting.
Cons
lack of ability to see the work you start through to the finish, such as students graduating etc.