Boston Public Schools Employee Reviews

labor of love that we hope to see progress
School Secretary, Paul Dever Elementary School (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, MAJanuary 3, 2017
Great place to work at. Benefits, students and colleagues are all great. The downside to working at BPS is the same for any old organization. Schools need repair, takes forever to process paperwork due to old style systems that cannot handle the increase load (i.e. bureaucracy, not enough people working in certain departments, old machines that break down, network glitches). It is definitely a labor of love that we hope to see progress the weak willed don't last.
Pros
Pay & benefits. The students and my collegues.
Cons
You can find yourself working late into the nights, Bus issues effect everyone, and pressure runs high.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 8, 2016
The teachers a great and hard workers. They love the student. Staff was not treated with respect.Working with the students with Special needs was rewarding. However, there was lack of support and appreciation from management
Pros
Hours, students and teachers
Cons
lack of respect and support from management
Good people trying to do the right things
Director of Applications Development (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2017
Good people trying to do the right things. Great to make impacts on student and family lives. Frustrating when progress is hampered by long-standing organizational inefficiencies and mis-allignment that seems to plague public sector
Boston Public Schools is a wonderful school system working as a team to promote a safe and educational environment.
Parapofessional (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 7, 2016
Boston Public Schools is a wonderful school system,providing a safe and educational environment.9:10-3:45 workday.Taking children to lunch and recess and to all daily specialties.
Pros
Educating children across Boston
an overall good place to work
Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 14, 2016
My day included dealing with students and parents. I input attendance for students and did payroll for staff (teachers). I had some supervisory duties towards the seniors who were assigned to the main office during their free period. I worked well with my co-workers and enjoyed working with the students. We had many paid holidays (which I enjoyed).
Pros
paid time off, and learning new skill, healthcare
it's okay
Paraprofessional/STRIVE Off-Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 7, 2016
Overall, pretty good place to work. I worked in the same school for 10 years. In ten years we had 5 permanent & temp headmasters/principals. This leads to 5 different leadership styles and changes. The next school I was at for 6 years. The first 4 were stable, upon headmaster/principal change, everything changed again with dual headmasters/principals.
Pros
Off from work when my children are off from school.
Cons
cannot work extra hours for extra pay
As a volunteer it was wonderful.
Parent Engagement volunteer (Former Employee) –  South End, Boston, MA, MADecember 13, 2016
I was volunteering as my son was in school and I felt the administration was the best. I was always informed and was on the parent council to keep the parents abreast of new happenings.

I got to do a lot to help.
Busy and highly motivated educational institution
Student Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 16, 2016
A typical day would consist of multiple conversations with students, parents, and teachers concerning each individual student goals.
I learned that teamwork is important in helping to increase each students chance for educational success. The diversity of each student is the hardest and most enjoyable aspect of the job.
This is truly different from school to school. Smaller schools often have better results.
SAR High School Educator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2016
I have observed 4 Superintent changes since 1999, thus district wide changes then occur. I have been blessed to have some excellent headmaster over the years.
Pros
School vacations allowed me to spend more time with my family.
Cons
Boston residency policy.
Union Job and wonderful benefits
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 9, 2017
Great benefits and great union protection (which is hard to find). Work day was manageable and being able to still have my day after I was done was beyond wonderful. If you work here, hold on to it!
Productive work place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2016
We keep busy from beginning to end.
The kids are the best part of the day happy faces at lunch time. Besides all of our paper work and problems we just get through its a job
Cons
ALWAYS SHORT STAFFED
Casual but professional work environment
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 26, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at BPS the employees are professional and hardworking. I had the opportunity to work in the labor department and enjoyed my time there.
Rewarding Experience
Third Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 16, 2016
Teaching in Boston Public Schools was rewarding working with children. It required time management, classroom management, and extensive planning. Seeing the children succeed was rewarding.
Productive and fun to work with the kids
Special Needs student Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MAApril 6, 2016
Take children off buses, feed breakfast, change diapers, change from wheel chairs to seats or special chair, assist teacher in the class with work, hand on hand with the kids while with OT or PT, recess, feeding lunch, diapers again, and prepare for home.
The hardest part of the job was seeing the children sick and not being able to tell us exactly where or what hurt.
Pros
you fall in love with the kids
Cons
definitely short breaks but it didnt matter just to see a smile
BPS is a Great Place to work
Substitute Teacher (Certified) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 16, 2016
Working for BPS is very rewarding, you get a chance to mold and help shape the young minds of tomorrow. Provide top notch educational services and support staff to your surrounding communities. Its the best way to impact our future.
Exciting place to work with amazing colleagues
Language Acquisition Team Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2016
My certification include special education and Spanish for bilingual instruction & World Language instruction.Having served as a teacher in BPS quite recently, I am familiar with REACH & REACH for Newcomers, MIlestones by Hampton-Brown Nat Geographic & several useful apps,like Imagine Learning & Reading Today.
Very rewarding place to work
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2016
When you have good leadership you have a productive environment.The teachers want to teach and the children will enjoy learning. When elements are missing preventing learning from happening then everyone is losing.
Pros
the children and different climates of school cultures you come in contact with
Cons
job security the first year
if you liked high school , you'll love it here
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2016
Culture of throwing co workers under the bus, lots of finger pointing, and cases of amnesia, CTE director manages through the teachers she once worked with as a teacher. If your new your gonna be under a microscope, and colleges will control you through the director. New headmaster is a great guy and so is the new executive director, they need time to get the place together.
Pros
great pay
Cons
everything else
Professional work environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 4, 2016
Accurate data entry records in Computer for special need students
Manage and file special need students records
Answering and directing phone calls from schools and parents
Professional employees and working environment
Administration makes teaching impossible
Teacher (Former Employee) –  West Roxbury, MAFebruary 25, 2016
Working with children in the Boston Public Schools is rewarding and refreshing. The administration and budget controls do not aid in helping teachers to do the best job possible to attain student scholastic achievement.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Lack of respect from Administration

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3