Boston Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun to work with the kids
Special Needs student Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MAApril 6, 2016
Take children off buses, feed breakfast, change diapers, change from wheel chairs to seats or special chair, assist teacher in the class with work, hand on hand with the kids while with OT or PT, recess, feeding lunch, diapers again, and prepare for home.
The hardest part of the job was seeing the children sick and not being able to tell us exactly where or what hurt.
Pros
you fall in love with the kids
Cons
definitely short breaks but it didnt matter just to see a smile
Exciting place to work with amazing colleagues
Language Acquisition Team Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2016
My certification include special education and Spanish for bilingual instruction & World Language instruction.Having served as a teacher in BPS quite recently, I am familiar with REACH & REACH for Newcomers, MIlestones by Hampton-Brown Nat Geographic & several useful apps,like Imagine Learning & Reading Today.
Very rewarding place to work
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2016
When you have good leadership you have a productive environment.The teachers want to teach and the children will enjoy learning. When elements are missing preventing learning from happening then everyone is losing.
Pros
the children and different climates of school cultures you come in contact with
Cons
job security the first year
if you liked high school , you'll love it here
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2016
Culture of throwing co workers under the bus, lots of finger pointing, and cases of amnesia, CTE director manages through the teachers she once worked with as a teacher. If your new your gonna be under a microscope, and colleges will control you through the director. New headmaster is a great guy and so is the new executive director, they need time to get the place together.
Pros
great pay
Cons
everything else
Administration makes teaching impossible
Teacher (Former Employee) –  West Roxbury, MAFebruary 25, 2016
Working with children in the Boston Public Schools is rewarding and refreshing. The administration and budget controls do not aid in helping teachers to do the best job possible to attain student scholastic achievement.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Lack of respect from Administration
Boston Publics Schools
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 16, 2016
What I have learned working in BPS is everyone has struggles and its my job to help them with whatever it may be the best way I know how, and to never give up on anyone no matter what age accomplishments happen sometimes they just need a little push and encouragement to get them started in the right direction
Professional work environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 4, 2016
Accurate data entry records in Computer for special need students
Manage and file special need students records
Answering and directing phone calls from schools and parents
Professional employees and working environment
A productive learning experience
Art Teacher - Winthrop Elementary .5 (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 21, 2015
Teaching for Boston Public Schools has been a productive and rewarding learning experience. I have learned so much more than is learned in a classroom. It is so rewarding to teach and see student evidence of learning. The staff and administrators are always willing to help me with when needed and the professional development meetings have been a pleasure attending. In all of the schools in which I have worked, it has been professional and manageable. I love all of my students and hope to be a positive influence in their lives. I enjoy my first class of the day because it gives me the opportunity to gage how effective my lessons are.
Pros
We have excellent benefits
Cons
There are not many full time art teacher positions
Teaching is about giving back
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MADecember 11, 2015
Typical day include managing students, reinforcing values, norms and appropriate behaviors. Each day is different and no 2 students are alike, therefore management styles must be flexible and constantly shifting based on dynamics, class levels, and interactions. Co-workers are awesome and every effort is made to work collaboratively to support the student body as well as each other. The most challenging aspect of the job is the management of behavioral and extraneous issues associated with students and their families while trying to provide instruction
Pros
Teaching is rewarding
Cons
Teacing is difficult
Serving undeserved youth
Assistant Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2016
On an average day, I assist student with behavioral challenges that hinder their ability to meet grade level expectations.
Pros
Supportive Staff and Administration
Cons
Students implusive behaviors can be volitile
Evaluations are not what you think.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 1, 2016
Evaluations should be done by multiple administrators, teachers, and peers such as bigger corporations do such as in 180 or 360 type of evaluations where input is submitted by various people on teams and can be done online.

Evaluations are done by ONE administrator that frankly is reviewing way too many teachers at once and make judgements that seem made up just to be able to get by on their own deadlines not caring about who you are and what you do or even who your students are.

Evaluations are written to make themselves look good. Instead of offering professional development, or asking them to model what it is they are looking for exactly in your classroom, they are a 'no show' or do not even know what to do.

So if you are looking for a growing opportunity as a teacher, research the school and DO talk to teachers that work there to get an inside scoop and advice on how to survive in this archaic way of managing.
Pros
Watching the progression of your students is amazing! (As in any teaching profession.)
Cons
use own time and vacation time to work, setting up artifacts and writing lessons to submit to administration that do not even get read
Working for Boston Public Schools was a great experience
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 9, 2015
I worked for Boston Public Schools as a paraprofessional for about 5 years. I assisted the teacher in daily classroom activities. I lead the Early Reading group in the kindergarten room. Boston Public Schools is a great place to work except that there is no job security.
I taught math for regular and special Ed students at the high school level.
Special Ed/Lab Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 25, 2015
Prepared daily for lessons. I learned the different moods and background of all types of students. Managing the classroom was easy because I knew how to relate and catch their attention. I got along with all my peers because they saw the genuine nature of my reason for teaching. The hardest part was trying to deal with all the different attitudes and seeing some kids fall through the cracks. Seeing the students want to learn and better themselves was the most enjoyable.
Pros
Helping other achieve something in their lives.
Cons
Watching teachers not care.
Demanding but satisfying teaching in an urban setting
Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2015
I teach Elementary Grade subjects within an urban context. The requirements for teaching are ever changing so the demands are great. Lots of professional development is necessary to keep the pace. There is support available although you must be active in seeking out what works for you. There is much needed data analysis and critical thinking on your feet.

I begin my day at 7:15 through an extended hour program which will end the school day at 3:30. I work with another teacher on a regular basis, We are required to meet to plan and develop opportunities for learning at least once a week. Excellent classroom management is paramount to student success. Collaboration is always desirable as many hands make light work.

The best part of my work is developing relationships with students and families.
Pros
No day is the same.
Cons
Tons of paperwork. Over testing young children.
Daily Schedule
Special Needs Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 8, 2015
This position included monitoring of student's IEP, using varying lesson plans, and presenting quarterly and yearly updates regarding the student's progress.
Collaboration with other teachers was important and a much needed part of the day. The connection to colleagues was healthy and rewarding.
Pros
Working with other teachers and students is a rewarding position.
Cons
Working without the collaboration of colleagues makes the job stressful.
Great place to learn and grow in the profession
Grade 2 Teacher, Title One Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dorchester,Mass.July 13, 2015
This job gave me opportunities to influence children to work to their potential and become productive citizens.One of the hardest parts of the job was the inability to have parents invest in their child's education.
Pros
Developing relationships and creating partnerships with families.
Cons
Excessively long work days on various occasions.
Staff really cares about student achievement
School Department Employee (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2015
Each staff member puts in 110% of their efforts to help improve student achievement! Unfortunately, senior leaders do not put in the same effort for employee achievements!
Very nice environment
Nutrition Aide (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 20, 2015
I really enjoyed this place so many different people here. I was happy to meet so many with the same kind of goals,everyone wanted the same things for the kids to have a chance in life let them know they have a place in the world..
Overall I loved working there.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Madison Park Vocational H.S.August 3, 2015
Coworkers were very supportive. Administration however was not so supportive. I rated job security as fair however many teachers were losing their jobs. The academic subjects such as mine were the most secure.

In regards to JobWork/Life Balance, many times I found myself working long hours, after school, preparing lessons and grading papers, calling parents etc. but that goes with the territory.

Madison Park H.S was a large school with 2000 students and management of the school shifted hands frequently. Many times it seemed chaotic. Student would not receive their schedules promptly
and their were experimental courses and schedules which failed miserably. Compensation and benefits are high enough yet not the highest in the nation. Overall I rate BPS as fair although their are individual schools that I would rate excellent such as Boston Latin, and the Timilty Middle School with their Saturday classes.
Pros
Some Improvement in reading levels
Cons
High high school drop out rates, weak in the math and science scores
Productive and fun place to work
Academic Design Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MassachusttsMay 14, 2015
Great place to work and good opportunity for career advancement. Pleasant working environment and good benefits. The hardest part of the job was the politics involved with working for public education. I had great co-workers and managers.

4.3