Boston Public Schools Employee Reviews

It was an experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 13, 2017
I worked as a sub for 3 months for the school district and I did enjoy having the opportunity to teach kids and pass on my knowledge. The hardest part was getting the kids to settle down but I managed to get through.
Happy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 9, 2017
the company is very active with both the community and public.
The departments had a strong employee connection and would allow all employees the relaxation to work together
Pros
Growth
Cons
Half hour brakes
Never again
ESL Teacher, ESL Summer (Former Employee) –  East Boston, MAOctober 28, 2017
I innocently took a summer teaching position for BPS and it turned out to be a nightmare. Very poor management, resources and planning. The only highlight was the pay....and I earned every single penny of it! Never again.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, resources, curriculum
You have to love it
One to One Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MAOctober 25, 2017
My job fell into my lap. I was thankful for it and the experiences it has afforded me, but my heart was never in it. And so if your heart is not in it, don't work here.
I love this job flexible fun relaxed great job
Sped Cap Monitor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2017
This job is absolutely wonderful i have flexibility the pay is alright and i do little to nothing children are too much fun i lovw them all and it hepled that i have four of my own so this is by far the easiest position i have ever had and enjoyed
Fair
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MAOctober 8, 2017
Need a change of jobs and scenery. The job does not stop when you leave work. It continues into your life even on weekends. I do not mind that part I will do anything for my students but the school systems is not focus on a learning focus and how to get their.
Pros
Salary
I had and Experiences
Student Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 4, 2017
I had the opportunity to work with many diverse and dedicated professionals. I was afforded the time and chance to learn from each position and to continue my growth in this field.
I have been fortunate to work in a friendly work environment.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 24, 2017
Mostly a productive and friendly workplace to work in. I gained a lot on knowledge in curriculum designed and student assessments. It's great to teach and work for the school system for a long time, because it has brought me joy to see students and their siblings grow up, graduate from high school and become successful.
Pros
Admin team provides free lunch during teacher appreciation week.
Cons
not enough breaks most days throughout the week.
Bps
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 13, 2017
Basically, you have a lot of people from the suburbs who come to the city just for a pay check and don't really care about the kids. It just seems like more and more these days there aren't any room for advancement, well unless you know or are related to someone.
Pros
good pay
Cons
no pay in the summer, have to find another job of file unemployment
Love the fast pace
Lunch Monitor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 12, 2017
Always kept me busy great job fun place to work it fits everybody daily life you can meet all kinds of cultures,it keep you on your toes it's always something new working with boston public schools system
Pros
The children
Cons
Not enough hours at work
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 12, 2017
I was never an employee of Boston Public School -- just a consultant. So I have no knowledge relating to any of the questions you ask.

The school I worked in was very well led, however.
Bps
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 6, 2017
The Boston Public School System is an ever developing school system which makes its business keeping up with all the cutting edge research and information that supports the implementation of a effective education system
Interesting and challenging workplace
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Various K-8August 21, 2017
An opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children, families and communities.I learned that emotional and stress training for teachers would be a benefit. I learned that all adult behavior has an impact on children of any age. I was very successful in the classes I participated in, to the point that several student teachers remarked that they had learned more by watching me than they had learned in school or from other situations. Loud voices, frustration and stress are or can be synthesized in groups and change the whole outcome of the day. That is the most enjoyable part of my day when teachers can observe things they cannot learn in academia or understand the nuances of classroom environment from videos. In the classroom, nothing is staged. You are the master of environment acknowledgement and present resolutions which in an instant can bring chaos or calm with experience.
Pros
Involvement in helping change academic and social perception.
Cons
The achievement of your efforts is not immeediate, three or four years later.
Joys of Educating
Provisional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mattapan, MAAugust 16, 2017
The most enjoyable part of being an educator is my bond with students while they try develop the tools to be independent and successful in everything.
Pros
I receive big hugs, big smiles, and love.
Cons
The emotional impact when students are being mistreated!
Poverty of the mind syndrome among administrative staff!
Retired Police Officer (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 13, 2017
The miserable experience that comes from working at BPS under the authoritarian and many times condescending personalities of BPS administrators is an unfortunate reality. Usually zombies unable to establish rapport among the teaching staff, BPS administrators are given the power to make you or break you. It gets worse as these zombies tend to pigeonhole the teaching staff into biased stereotypes that have basis on nothing but their uncouth imaginations.
Pros
Pay is good if one is willing to ignore condescending characters in the workplace
Cons
Having to deal with poor quality people
Place for young teachers
Held various classroom teacher positions (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 13, 2017
BPS is currently developing a culture where older more experienced teachers are too expensive to retain. Young or new teachers are being recruited to teach in this urban system.
Work
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, MAAugust 6, 2017
It's been an exciting and challenging place to work at, I feel I have learned and grown over the years. I am now ready to transition back into corporate America.
Fast paced, students not always cooperative
Teacher of Moderate Disabilities (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2017
Review homework, start new lesson or answer questions .
There was always some professional development that enhanced teaching techniques, cooperative learning styles. There was always a very diverse population in the schools, so that made it a fun place where we were always learning about different cultures, foods,and the likes. This was easily my favorite part of the job.

The most difficult part of the job was when I had to conference with a student and or their parent about a behavior or lack of effort.
Pros
Teamwork, peers, always learning something nes
Cons
New evalutation system, being valued based on your students' performance
All for the students
BILINGUAL HUMANITIES TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 27, 2017
You spend your time, money, and effort building curriculum and teaching for the love of the students. The overall school system is hard to break into for positions, both teaching and support staff, with teachers performing skills beyond their expertise and without any professional development or guidance.
A place where if you apply yourself they will do their best to keep you on
Community Field Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MAJuly 24, 2017
Good pay
Opportunity if you apply yourself
Great benefits
Great vacation time
Creative environments
Room to grow
Great job if you really enjoy working with kids
Pros
School vacations
Cons
Stressful work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3