Boston University Employee Reviews

Great if you're going to school as well
Graduate Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2017
great benefits if you're looking to further your education while continuing your career. most offices are flexible enough to allow for an active education schedule in addition to your work schedule.
Manager-Auxiliary Services (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 10, 2017
I thrived as the Manager within the Auxiliary Services division of Boston University. My success mandated that I work collaboratively with municipal leadership and both internal and private stakeholders. In addition to my managerial responsibilities, I served as the project manager for a five-year phased capital improvement project of my department’s facilities.
Bu
On-line Field Advisor (Current Employee) –  onlineAugust 8, 2017
I love helping my on-line students grow as Social Workers. This school provides students opportunities to in the field to explore their career preferences and learn under the direction of other professionals in the field.
Demanding but rewarding
Laboratory Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Environmental EconomicsAugust 4, 2017
Flexible hours if you get the work finished. Area of focus very specific, as expected of research work. I have gained much know-how about laboratory techniques, methods, and procedures that will carry forward into other research directions if I do research in other areas.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Very high demands
Great part time jobs for students
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 3, 2017
As a student, BU made it very easy to have real responsibilities and growth. Hard work is usually well-recognized. Your attitude affects the work environment a lot so do not be discouraged by a negative atmosphere; people usually change if you are positive.
Low pay with high expectations and work load
Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 26, 2017
I worked there over fifteen years ago, so my experience is clearly not close to being current. I was given a high level of responsibility and work load in a very stressful job with a very low rate of pay. My first immediate boss was mindful of that issue but did not have the budget to overcome it. I stuck it out hoping the position would eventually become viable and lead to a solid career foundation--that did not happen.
Fun and Engaging job
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 17, 2017
Really enjoyed my time at BU but felt a little left in the dust in terms of what my role was meant for. I felt useless but found ways to make the office better on my own.
Great school and quality professors
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 16, 2017
BU is a great place to learn and work. It is located in the heart of Boston with easy access to tons of great work opportunities. I worked with several professors.
professional effective study life
Student (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 1, 2017
As a master program studying in Boston University student, by developing theorem statistical and mathematical practical question, life is hard working and major related.
great enviroment
Desktop Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 28, 2017
as long as you complete you daily duties, you will have no issues working here. the people are down to earth and are very friendly. can't find too much to complain about in my position here.
Pros
flexable hours if you have schduling conflicts
Cons
none i can think of.
Large research university
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 27, 2017
Boston University is a world-class research university with an intelligent and driven student body. It is a large, disparate campus that can lack unity within both the faculty/staff and student community. There are an incredible number of opportunities for professional advancement but it can feel like working in a corporation rather than working in higher education.
Productive and Challenging place to work
SABO Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 27, 2017
Corresponding with vendors and management staff to process orders was a typical day at work. Processing invoices to pay vendors for products and services was also a daily task.
Excellent management and encouraging atmosphere
Administrative Sciences (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 24, 2017
A wonderful place to work...well managed, supportive and encouraging. The faculty is diverse and talented. Classes are assigned well in advance and contracts are sent out early. Having taught at four other colleges, I find BU looks for and hires many talented people. Interacting with other professors, I find their assessments are similar to mine.
Pros
Good faculty. good students
Cons
None that I have noticed
Nice place
WEB CONTENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 22, 2017
It is a nice place to work at. Everyone is nice as well. It is a small building but located right in the middle of campus so there is something always going on.
Valuable Learning Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 20, 2017
As an undergraduate thesis candidate, I was able to take control over my own personal project and learn through experience. The mentorship and guidance that I received at Boston University was incredibly valuable, but I also value the trust that my supervisor and colleagues had in me to allow me to take on such a project as a novice in the field.
Intellectually stimulating job
Facilitator (Teacher Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 20, 2017
Rewarding to see students progress through the term. Professor is very supportive. Administration is unappreciative however; no raises at all in at least 8 years even though tuition has increased each year.
Pros
Intellectually stimulating, rewarding
Cons
Pay is very poor and they don't give raises
Great school for media
Freelance (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2017
With great connections to many major media outlets, BU's college of Communication is a great place to get real world experience. Good professors, good internship opportunities.
Work
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Medical CampusJune 7, 2017
It is great to work and meet with the students.
I've learned that many students have so many different issues which control their likes, dis likes, fears, etc. Management, is really not an issue with me because I have my other duties and jobs away from this office. The workplace culture was also not a personally a problem, but I felt the students should mainly be the priority and not just saying their the priority. Because of that feeling, I mad sure I was available to every student who sought any assistance by me.
The hardest part of this job is knowing which student(s) didn't promote to Medical School. I did not feel comfortable coming to work on those days. The most enjoyable part of the day was interacting with the students. I would not continue working there if it were decided that we had absolutely no contact with the students.
Pros
Seeing the students
Cons
non-comunication, lack of group meetings, failing students.
Prodouctive
Enrollment Services Operations- Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 7, 2017
Assisted with Financial Aid for upcoming student and already enrolled students

Loan applications

Keying

Data Entry work

Working with admissions team to insure that new students received a welcoming package
Volunteer Assistant Lacrosse Coach
Volunteer Assistant Lacrosse Coach (Current) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 6, 2017
Engaging environment to help young men develop through the medium of sport. Long days, rewarding work. We increased the team's capacity and culture a to become a perennial conference contender and national force.