Boston University Employee Reviews

great opportunity working with professors and classmate on analog design
Teaching Assistant and Grader (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 26, 2015
Fun work place with active guys.Focusing on Analog design and RF circuit design with platform Cadence. The most interesting part of being a teaching assistant is to talk about designing methods with professors and classmates.
Amazing experience
Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 24, 2015
Helping others in need is a great talent it feels so good because not everyone is perfect. We learned new life skills and lessons, how to be successful in your own way.
Use for tuition remission- then leave soon
administrative staff (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 21, 2015
Pros: Tuition remission, nice co-workers
Cons: Poor management throughout, low pay, no advancement
I worked and studied at BU for a very long time. Few of my instructors were tenured, and part time faculty get paid very little. I got no monetary recognition or reward for my degrees though relevant to my job. I know that BU's Personnel office only pays salaries based on a position's demand and how easily it can be filled. Management rarely shows any appreciation for loyalty or anything else. Given the cost of higher ed right now, if you can avail of the tuition benefit, use it and leave ASAP. Otherwise, avoid BU if at all possible. They abuse workers and students while obsessing over bottom lines and perpetual inferiority to Boston's other colleges.
Management of IS&T do not know Audio Visual best practices
Technician (Current Employee), Boston, MAAugust 18, 2015
As a high level Technician I felt belittled and powerless to make things better. The management doesn't have a clue about audio visual service or implementation.
Fun work environment with very intelligent and inspiring coworkers and friendly patient setting
Staff Coordinator (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 9, 2015
Pros: finding my passion for health care, intelligent coworkers, great learning experience for coordinating outpatient clinics
Cons: position was limited in its advancement opportunities
Great way to start your day with these clinics. I learned so much from amazing patients with their personal experiences who are so brave, strong, and kind. The research conducted by each clinic was so interesting to learn and be a part of. This position has such unique centers that are unparalleled in their ability to prosper and help patients. This position had such a profound impact on my personal career.
Productive workplace that is very slow to embrace change.
Faculty Director, Global Literacy Institute (Current Employee), Boston, MAJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Kind colleagues.
Cons: Slow educational reform.
Boston University is similar to a large ship which, in terms of new, innovative ideas, is very difficult to "think outside the box" in terms of its School of Education.
Dishwasher and helper
Busser (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 17, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
I was a dishwasher that helped every chef around the university.
Prep food and assist in anything they need help with. Would clean kitchens and throw away garbage.
No matter how good you are, the limit is already set for certain people and races
Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Credit was not given for good work
As a professional I have rather contributed than learn any new tricks from the mediocre principle investigators. You create something great and unique it becomes their property and idea. It was twelve hours job everyday and yet pay and benefit were very poor. .
Low stress workplace
Office Accounting and Data Administrator Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 9, 2015
I enjoy working here. My boss is awesome. He doesn't make me stress out too much and encourages me to be the best I can be. asdfasd fasdfas dfasdfasdf asdfasdf asdfasdf asdfa sdfas dfas dfasdf
Good
Student (Current Employee), BostonJune 4, 2015
It is a good place to learn and meet people. The professors are great and ready to help. But the placement cell is not that strong and I feel that the college is much better and should get more companies.
Not great
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Boston, MAMay 26, 2015
Pros: tuition remission, friendly co workers, fast pace enviornment.
Cons: Parking costs, managers
I have been an employee at Boston University for over 3 years. In that time I have seen the good, bad, and ugly side of things. The good are that for the most part the people there are great. Friendly happy employees, that love what they do. There is also tuition remission that can be used toward your own degree. The bad is there wasn't any room for promotion within my department or for my position. The ugly was the management. Managers and supervisors are not themselves supervised. There seems to be no overseer to make sure that employes are treated fairly, or there is enough coverage for the amounts of work that is coming in. There is a union, but by the time you are filing a complaint, or looking for help things are already out of hand.
A Productive Day in the Library
Student Worker at Mugar Memorial Library (Current Employee), Mugar Memorial LibraryMay 24, 2015
Since this is a work-study position during the school year, I do not work full time. Therefore I only work a few shifts during the week. During a typical shift, I may have anywhere from two to a total of slightly over twenty patrons who would need library assistance whether it is that they need my help to searching for a book or they need my assistance in finding and installing software such as Matlab. The general work environment is friendly. Since it is in a library, there is hardly any issues of noise.
So so!
Teacher assistant, Sophomore Type Class (Current Employee), Boston, MAMay 14, 2015
I liked my work nature but my experience could be much better! I think the school of visual arts need to be managed more efficiently to get better results!
Supportive
Research assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MAMay 7, 2015
I am proud to have my PhD from Boston University. Research labs, PIs, and working culture are all great there. It is located at the heart of city.
Autonomy and Trust
Office Aide (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours around my class schedule
I work in the Athletic Therapy and Physical Therapy Office at Boston University. I assist the faculty with office support such as faxing, copying, scanning, etc. I answer the office email using Outlook. I answer the phones and direct people to the appropriate faculty or department. I also manage paperwork and Excel documents for the Athletic Training Program. I communicate with the students and maintain and upload documents for the students on BlackBoard. I work independently and am trusted by the faculty. I learned quickly on the job how to use Excel to maintain spreadsheets.
Boston University Student Job
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MAApril 12, 2015
Working as a student at Boston University has been a great opportunity. I have learned much through my research and gained valuable skills in data analysis. I had the opportunity to also collect data at Boston Medical center during my time there. Overall, it was a great experience.
Varied work duties with understanding management
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 1, 2015
A typical day at work entails varied job duties: connecting to wi-fi and wired networks, diagnosis of networking, hardware, and software issues, printer support, adding network printers and shared drives; formatting, imaging, and OS installation, as well as dealing with AD and group policy. One of the pros about working at BU is that our managers were very compassionate and understood that student workers were students first.
A stimulating place to work
Graduate Student, Perissi Lab (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 30, 2015
I enjoy the collaborative nature of this institution. The environment is very stimulating and the my coworkers as well as my boss are very approachable and helpful.
Overall a suitable place to work
Senior Educational Technologist (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 30, 2015
BU has been a good environment to work in in general but there is always room for improvement. It's a large university though so there are times where it can be difficult to work collaboratively across departments.
Not a very great environment
Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 22, 2015
Pros: tuition remission
Cons: parking, low pay
This is an institution of higher education, so the importance of having a degree weighs heavily. The funny thing is is that unlike most other universities, they do not allow their employees to enroll in online education, which makes taking classes difficult. The pay is very low, but they say that individuals make the difference up in the tuition remission, which for most individuals is impossible to use.