Boston University

Boston University United States Employee Reviews

Autonomy and Trust
Office Aide (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours around my class schedule
I work in the Athletic Therapy and Physical Therapy Office at Boston University. I assist the faculty with office support such as faxing, copying, scanning, etc. I answer the office email using Outlook. I answer the phones and direct people to the appropriate faculty or department. I also manage paperwork and Excel documents for the Athletic Training Program. I communicate with the students and maintain and upload documents for the students on BlackBoard. I work independently and am trusted by the faculty. I learned quickly on the job how to use Excel to maintain spreadsheets.
Boston University Student Job
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MAApril 12, 2015
Working as a student at Boston University has been a great opportunity. I have learned much through my research and gained valuable skills in data analysis. I had the opportunity to also collect data at Boston Medical center during my time there. Overall, it was a great experience.
Varied work duties with understanding management
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 1, 2015
A typical day at work entails varied job duties: connecting to wi-fi and wired networks, diagnosis of networking, hardware, and software issues, printer support, adding network printers and shared drives; formatting, imaging, and OS installation, as well as dealing with AD and group policy. One of the pros about working at BU is that our managers were very compassionate and understood that student workers were students first.
A stimulating place to work
Graduate Student, Perissi Lab (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 30, 2015
I enjoy the collaborative nature of this institution. The environment is very stimulating and the my coworkers as well as my boss are very approachable and helpful.
Overall a suitable place to work
Senior Educational Technologist (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 30, 2015
BU has been a good environment to work in in general but there is always room for improvement. It's a large university though so there are times where it can be difficult to work collaboratively across departments.
Not a very great environment
Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 22, 2015
Pros: tuition remission
Cons: parking, low pay
This is an institution of higher education, so the importance of having a degree weighs heavily. The funny thing is is that unlike most other universities, they do not allow their employees to enroll in online education, which makes taking classes difficult. The pay is very low, but they say that individuals make the difference up in the tuition remission, which for most individuals is impossible to use.
It is a great place to study and work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 18, 2015
Boston University is not only a great institution for learning and performing research, but it also cares about its employees.
Productive long hours
Research Assistant, Department of Biology (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 11, 2015
I work as a volunteer in the lab. The work in this neurophysiology lab is extensive. The dissection only under a surgical microscope need 1 to 2 hours. To get the data and analyzing it might take seven to nine hours for each experiment. But I have learned a lot from the work here.
Great place to gain awesome experience
Financial and Grant Administrator (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 11, 2015
Working at Boston University is a great place to gain experience in finance, data analysis, financial reporting, client interaction, grant management.
Good if you are pursuing a degree/course
Software Developer (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good colleagues, very friendly and efficient staff
Not an official employee. I worked part-time as a software developer, while being a graduate student at BU.

If you are a full-time employee, I hear you get to take courses for free. That's a pretty good deal.
Great
Research Technician (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
Boston University is a great place to network with a lot of opportunity. There are tons of it, so be sure to not any slip out of your hands.
Media and Classroom support
Classroom support - assisting teachers (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2015
Amazing job... great work/home life balance because the compensation was great. Made me look fwd to going to work everyday
Productive place to do the research
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: convenient transportation
I worked as a research assistant to obtain my Ph.D. I mainly did the simulation in the lab. Sometimes I needed to do some experiments. The transportation was convenient. The library was also good for me to find related self-learning resource.
Excellent organization
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 11, 2015
This is a great school. I worked here while I studied in the BU College of Arts and Sciences. The staff in every building is friendly and helpful, whether you are working with them or learning from them.
Was a fun place to work
DIRECTOR OF NETWORKS (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: working with very intelligent people
Cons: traffic jams and over 2 hour commutes
The Campus was always buzzing with excitement and people that enjoyed learning new things.

the most enjoyable part of the job was increasing the network speed and bringing a wireless network throughout the environment.

The hardest part of the job was that the salaries were a little low when recruiting new talent
Vastly underestimated working place
Researcher in Physics (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: great working environment
Cons: salary is barely adequate for the cost of living in boston
The physics dept. at Boston University is a great place to work. The quality of the research is vastly better than what the overall ranking of the university would lead you to think.
The work environment is very friendly and collaborative which is rare at any research university. This leads to great work-life balance.
BU administration
Admissions Coordinator (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2015
Excellent benefits; the School of Public Health specifically is an excellent, lean and well managed section of the school.
Loved it
Billing (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 6, 2015
Overall I loved it. Went to different sites to assist with MA help. There was no time to be bored always something exciting and new everyday. I learned a lot and applied to the next place I went. Loved the short face paced places I went. If it wasn't for the family i would still be there.
Productive workspace
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Boston MAJanuary 6, 2015
Working Environment is extremely satisfying, you get to work with the top minds in the field and on the latest innovative algorithms. Professors help you out when you are in trouble.
Great place to work, Employee training and advancement provided
Technical Service Manger (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 6, 2015
The company hires by position, not employee. There have not been any raises in over five years. Employees are not happy.
I look at it as these positions are refillable for the company and so they only offer as low a salary as they can get away with at the time of hire. They promise raises but have not delivered

1 2 3 4 5