Boston University Employee Reviews

An amazing experience, but not a solid fit
Executive Admin (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 1, 2012
[...] was a great place to work, but the position was simply too complex for someone of my experience level.
The position was of Office Manager, but the correct term would be Executive Admin.

I was all too happy to have been offered the position though, as I learned a great deal such as finance, liaison, database management, project management, Human Resources, Reception, and many many other skills, and knowledge, such as understanding of corporate hierarchy, how to use outside resources, and all aspects of corporate payroll.

In the end, my specific set of skills was insufficient to compensate for the set of skills being requested.
An average difficulty of the position would be the assignment of a project that more experienced workers had been unsuccessful in, or projects left abandoned and/or defunct.

Other than that, the environment was great, all my managers were very hardworking and understanding and professional.
The most enjoyable part of the job was coming into work everyday, because despite knowing that each day was going to be extremely difficult, I knew that I was growing very very quickly, guided by staff of extremely personable professionals.
Pros
great compensation, potential for growth, experience
Cons
not a great match between my own skills and the skills required.
A dynamic place to work.
Senior Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 6, 2012
My experiences at Boston University taught me the core structures of UNIX & Backup Administration.

I was exposed to a variety of current and legacy systems that needed administration and backup.

I quickly learnt to script in C++ computer language, so as to create individualized scripts per each backup customer our department was hired to backup.

I was also exposed to Linux Operating System during my time at Boston University.

My co-worker were a dream team to work for, with a couple of exceptions off course. I learnt several critical skills from them.

My immediate management was great and got my skill set. Unfortunately his manager did not see my point of view and I was largely rebuffed.

The hardest part of my job at Boston University was dealing with upper management, who did not have a clear understanding of what was going on, in terms of system management administration and backup administration. Upper management just wanted to see performance numbers.

Most enjoyable part of my job at Boston University was working with my co-workers and tackling various problems as they arose.
Not great
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 26, 2015
I have been an employee at Boston University for over 3 years. In that time I have seen the good, bad, and ugly side of things. The good are that for the most part the people there are great. Friendly happy employees, that love what they do. There is also tuition remission that can be used toward your own degree. The bad is there wasn't any room for promotion within my department or for my position. The ugly was the management. Managers and supervisors are not themselves supervised. There seems to be no overseer to make sure that employes are treated fairly, or there is enough coverage for the amounts of work that is coming in. There is a union, but by the time you are filing a complaint, or looking for help things are already out of hand.
Pros
tuition remission, friendly co workers, fast pace enviornment.
Cons
Parking costs, managers
The Biology Department at BU is very supportive
Ph.D. Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 24, 2013
Getting a Ph.D. is not easy by any stretch of the imagination. And though us Ph.D. candidates may have mentors that are stuck in their ways or work with other students with big egos, the support staff (admins, head of the program, graduate student advisor, etc) is extremely helpful and supportive of our goal of attaining our doctorates. When you aren't sure what to do with your research or administrative requirements, there is always someone to guide you in the right direction. There is also a very active student body with many graduate student associations, athletic teams, and other interest groups to helps us relax and not get bogged down with our work.
Pros
strong graduate student body, administration
Cons
some older professors that are a little stubborn and stuck in their ways
Busy, exciting place to work
Residency Education Prog Coord/Asst to Prog Dir (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 8, 2012
Extremely busy with endless variety of new things to learn. I have been able to utilize many of my computer software skills and given the opportunty to change and/or enhance many systems. It gives me a great deal of joy to coordinate and bring structure to prgrams that are disorganized and in need of a fresh eye. I support a person whose responsibilities and status have increased enormously since my arrivial and we have enjoyed growing together. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching my boss grow, flourish and be promoted in areas he feels most passionate. The most difficult part of the job is significantly contributing to the growth for which I am extremely proud, but remain stagnant with regard to advancement and compensation.
Use for tuition remission- then leave soon
administrative staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 21, 2015
I worked and studied at BU for a very long time. Few of my instructors were tenured, and part time faculty get paid very little. I got no monetary recognition or reward for my degrees though relevant to my job. I know that BU's Personnel office only pays salaries based on a position's demand and how easily it can be filled. Management rarely shows any appreciation for loyalty or anything else. Given the cost of higher ed right now, if you can avail of the tuition benefit, use it and leave ASAP. Otherwise, avoid BU if at all possible. They abuse workers and students while obsessing over bottom lines and perpetual inferiority to Boston's other colleges.
Pros
Tuition remission, nice co-workers
Cons
Poor management throughout, low pay, no advancement
Financial Advisor
Student Accounting Services-Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2013
My typical day consists of multi-tasking between answering business e-mails and business calls regarding BU students' accounts.

I learned that financial matters can be very intimidating to our students and their families.

I work under 3 managers; 1 Associate Director and 2 Assistant Directors.

My fellow financial advisors are a great bunch of people. They are very well trained and take their job seriously.

The hardest part of the day is leaving the parking lot-there is a long traffic light that turns green for 10 seconds.

The most enjoyable part of the day is that I had time set aside by the managers to sign off the phone queue and work on account issues that need a little more focus.
Large Urban University
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 26, 2012
What can you say? Boston University is a premier private university located in Boston. Cultural opportunities abound, the Charles River/esplanade are the main campuses back yard, Boston is a beautiful city that offers just about anything that could interest/engage a person, etc, etc. Traffic/parking is a problem so just take the T! :-) BU is a large school with a significant administration and abundant resources to get the job done. The vast majority of the faculty and staff are a true joy to work with. I would characterize Boston as a compact city so if you enjoy an urban environment and all the resources that this implies but don't like sprawling cities, BU definitely deserves your consideration.
Fun work environment with very intelligent and inspiring coworkers and friendly patient setting
Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 9, 2015
Great way to start your day with these clinics. I learned so much from amazing patients with their personal experiences who are so brave, strong, and kind. The research conducted by each clinic was so interesting to learn and be a part of. This position has such unique centers that are unparalleled in their ability to prosper and help patients. This position had such a profound impact on my personal career.
Pros
finding my passion for health care, intelligent coworkers, great learning experience for coordinating outpatient clinics
Cons
position was limited in its advancement opportunities
Autonomy and Trust
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 22, 2015
I work in the Athletic Therapy and Physical Therapy Office at Boston University. I assist the faculty with office support such as faxing, copying, scanning, etc. I answer the office email using Outlook. I answer the phones and direct people to the appropriate faculty or department. I also manage paperwork and Excel documents for the Athletic Training Program. I communicate with the students and maintain and upload documents for the students on BlackBoard. I work independently and am trusted by the faculty. I learned quickly on the job how to use Excel to maintain spreadsheets.
Pros
Flexible hours around my class schedule
well structured
Public safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAMarch 25, 2014
During my career at Boston Medical I meet people from different back grounds and living environments, As time went by you get to build a relationship with patients, visitors, overtime one get the opportunity to learn individuals history and challenges through conversation. I must say that this experience has taught me how to understand and reach out to various individuals and read body language. Boston Medical Center is in the middle of the inner city you have numerous shelters and detox center in the surrounding community bringing in a diverse group of out patients into the hospital.
Pros
unity
Ma
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 30, 2014
Served as medical assistant and/or phlebotomist on a temporary basis to many hospitals within the Boston area, such as Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and others. Responsibilities included, but were not limited to, taking patients’ vital signs; making, canceling and changing appointments; making reminder calls; mailing results to patients; sending dictations to providers; assisting with registration; drawing blood from patients; and performing relatively minor procedures such as removal of stitches.
An Easygoing Job That Was Easy To Get To.
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 6, 2013
My workday began and ended with open and processing the contents of foreign applicants wish to enroll at Boston University.

What did I learn? I learned one needs quite a bit of financial backing in order to study abroad!

My co-workers were some of the nicest people I've worked with. Easily one of the friendliest, most "laid-back" work environments I had the pleasure to be a part of.

Honestly, there wasn't a hard part to this job.

Most enjoyable part? Probably interacting with my co-workers.
Pros
job was easily accessible by public transportation.
Cons
it was only a temporary position.
interesting experience, not enough experience however
Psychology Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 7, 2013
- typical day: entering in data, researching data, coding data
- what I learned: the conditions/ circumstances that either lead African- American women getting/ not getting treatment for their HIV AIDS .
- management: Management was nice but not specific with instructions.
- co- workers: My co- workers were nice and helpful in guiding me in the research process.
- the hardest part of the job: finding viable research
- the most enjoyable part of the job: reading the stories of the women
Pros
good experience in the field of psychology
Cons
non specific instructions
A Productive Day in the Library
Student Worker at Mugar Memorial Library (Current Employee) –  Mugar Memorial LibraryMay 24, 2015
Since this is a work-study position during the school year, I do not work full time. Therefore I only work a few shifts during the week. During a typical shift, I may have anywhere from two to a total of slightly over twenty patrons who would need library assistance whether it is that they need my help to searching for a book or they need my assistance in finding and installing software such as Matlab. The general work environment is friendly. Since it is in a library, there is hardly any issues of noise.
Boston University is an excellent employer with good benefits and advancement opportunities.
Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 8, 2014
I enjoyed my 30 years at Boston University and was promoted several times. I was able to learn and practice both State and Federal employment laws. The Human Resource Office was always a team effort and the staff is always hardworking and enthusiastic. The most difficult part of my job was dealing with sensitive employee disciplinary actions. The most rewarding part of my job was resolving sensitive issues.
Pros
career advancement
Cons
salaries
Boston University Medical School Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 12, 2013
Provided direct assistant to department chairman. Monitored and disbursed A/P payments. Processed invoices for payment. Reviewed, reconciled and audited petty cash. Ordered supplies. Mailed legal and financial documents and grant proposals in a timely manner. Provided customer service to patients, faculty, students and outside businesses. Reconciled and reimbursed travel expenses. Scheduled meetings.
Varied work duties with understanding management
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 1, 2015
A typical day at work entails varied job duties: connecting to wi-fi and wired networks, diagnosis of networking, hardware, and software issues, printer support, adding network printers and shared drives; formatting, imaging, and OS installation, as well as dealing with AD and group policy. One of the pros about working at BU is that our managers were very compassionate and understood that student workers were students first.
Creative and Fun Workplace
ALEA III Concert Series Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2015
Management is extremely helpful and invested in running this new music concert series. Coordination of recital managers, music ensembles, advertising campaigns and performing guests runs smoothly. I learn a lot everyday and I am currently taking a leading position in fundraising and public relations.
Pros
Flexible working hours and strong creative initiative
Cons
Could offer more in compensation and benefits.
Not a very great environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2015
This is an institution of higher education, so the importance of having a degree weighs heavily. The funny thing is is that unlike most other universities, they do not allow their employees to enroll in online education, which makes taking classes difficult. The pay is very low, but they say that individuals make the difference up in the tuition remission, which for most individuals is impossible to use.
Pros
tuition remission
Cons
parking, low pay