Boston University Employee Reviews in United States

Use for tuition remission- then leave soon
administrative staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 21, 2015
I worked and studied at BU for a very long time. Few of my instructors were tenured, and part time faculty get paid very little. I got no monetary recognition or reward for my degrees though relevant to my job. I know that BU's Personnel office only pays salaries based on a position's demand and how easily it can be filled. Management rarely shows any appreciation for loyalty or anything else. Given the cost of higher ed right now, if you can avail of the tuition benefit, use it and leave ASAP. Otherwise, avoid BU if at all possible. They abuse workers and students while obsessing over bottom lines and perpetual inferiority to Boston's other colleges.
Pros
Tuition remission, nice co-workers
Cons
Poor management throughout, low pay, no advancement
Creative and Fun Workplace
ALEA III Concert Series Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2015
Management is extremely helpful and invested in running this new music concert series. Coordination of recital managers, music ensembles, advertising campaigns and performing guests runs smoothly. I learn a lot everyday and I am currently taking a leading position in fundraising and public relations.
Pros
Flexible working hours and strong creative initiative
Cons
Could offer more in compensation and benefits.
Stable and relatively relaxing for entry positions
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 12, 2016
Working in the Medical campus' research lab was everything you would expect. No thrill and no frill. Great for those who want to have an easy full time job and go for their tuition remission benefit and get a graduate degree out of it part-time. Be prepared to work hard for juggling school and work though, it's do-able but not fun.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Boring
Great University awful work enviroment
Financial Administrator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 4, 2016
BUASC is a great environment if you don't want to grow. The department needs structural shift to meet the needs of the younger generation.
Benefits
Cons
Hierarchy, no growth opportunities
It was a graduate assistantship
IT Support & Web Research (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2016
The work was to take care of IT support and web research during my graduation. I learned many new IT skills.Management was very kind to me.Co workers were very friendly. I had to work on weekends also. The manager was very kind and cooperative.
Pros
Free snacks were given on weekends.
Cons
Working during the exams period.
Not much communication
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 21, 2016
This is a very interest place to work. Some co-workers were wonderful . Management wasn't big on communication. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting persons from different places and dealing with all personalities.
Not great
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 26, 2015
I have been an employee at Boston University for over 3 years. In that time I have seen the good, bad, and ugly side of things. The good are that for the most part the people there are great. Friendly happy employees, that love what they do. There is also tuition remission that can be used toward your own degree. The bad is there wasn't any room for promotion within my department or for my position. The ugly was the management. Managers and supervisors are not themselves supervised. There seems to be no overseer to make sure that employes are treated fairly, or there is enough coverage for the amounts of work that is coming in. There is a union, but by the time you are filing a complaint, or looking for help things are already out of hand.
Pros
tuition remission, friendly co workers, fast pace enviornment.
Cons
Parking costs, managers
Fun work environment with very intelligent and inspiring coworkers and friendly patient setting
Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 9, 2015
Great way to start your day with these clinics. I learned so much from amazing patients with their personal experiences who are so brave, strong, and kind. The research conducted by each clinic was so interesting to learn and be a part of. This position has such unique centers that are unparalleled in their ability to prosper and help patients. This position had such a profound impact on my personal career.
Pros
finding my passion for health care, intelligent coworkers, great learning experience for coordinating outpatient clinics
Cons
position was limited in its advancement opportunities
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 8, 2016
I have been quite impressed with my mentor and the members of his laboratory, the research we are conducting, the Renal Section and with Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center as a whole. I think this is an ideal setting for me to learn, advance my skills and expertise and continue to develop into an independent scientist. I have been in many research settings, but Boston University is overwhelmingly the best I have encountered
Wonderful Staff
Marsh Chapel Undergraduate Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 28, 2016
It is a challenging internship in many ways. Often I lead and work with people who are much older than I am, while I am in the leadership role. I must be able to work with a large variety of people. Because of the necessity for the Chapel to be a safe place, there is a certain level of decorum that must be maintained. It has been a really wonderful learning experience.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Sometimes not enough staff for everything that needs to get done
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2015
Boston University is a good place to do research, and you can balance your Work and Life there. It also offers you good benefits.
The staff were knowledgeable
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 1, 2016
The staff were very helpful to the students, the staff environment within the office was less than professional,
The staff were always there for the students.
Pros
Knowledgeable staff and helpful to students
Cons
Too much infighting and conflict within the office
Large Work Enviornment
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 23, 2016
The office was large with over 30 employees for Financial aid alone. We were housed in a building with many other offices that serviced well over 30K students. It was a very fast paced office as you had to answer many questions for student and parents a day.
worked independently
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2015
I was responsible for interpreting substantial volumes of original course materials in Japanese and converting all into English for the benefits of hundreds of students. In addition, I developed tests and quizzes in a timely manner and assisted with grading homework and quizzes.
Fun academic environment that support culture
Research Assistant/Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 11, 2015
BU is such a large place to work. You might work in a single department for years and never know many of the employees there as departments often work in silos. While it must be difficult to work inter-dependently, many people cross-communicate and work well together. Overall enjoyed my 5 years working in multiple departments in various colleges.
Amazing
Instructor/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2016
It's an amazing place to work and grow your knowledge base. Would never trade this work experience over the past 4+ years for anything.
Great experience
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2016
Boston University has provided an excellent environment for education and world-class research. The cross-disciplinary interests and collaborations with Boston-area physicians and researchers has been extremely valuable.
Student Job
Media Group Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 17, 2015
Very good place to work as a student. The culture is drived by student culture since that is who you serve or work with. The job is good thing to put on your resume and isn't too demanding
Good work/life balance
International Scholar Administrator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 10, 2016
Boston University provides an excellent benefits package and encouragement to grow within one's own department and across the institution.
Graet educational institution
Post-Doctoral Researcher, Center (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2016
Strong organic chemistry department that provides solid training to students and post-doctoral researchers. Fosters collaborative mindset in the trainees.