Boston University Employee Reviews in United States

Great University awful work enviroment
Financial Administrator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 4, 2016
BUASC is a great environment if you don't want to grow. The department needs structural shift to meet the needs of the younger generation.
Benefits
Cons
Hierarchy, no growth opportunities
Large employer with vast variety of positions to choose from.
Senior Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2016
Boston University has something for everyone. They are always striving to improve the education that is provided to their students.

I learned a ton from working with the student workforce. They brought a certain energy that is unique to a University setting.

I found that most of the staff shared a common goal to do their fare share while keeping it a enjoyable place to work.

I was blessed to have great leadership to learn from and grow as a young professional.

The most challenging part of my particular job was dealing with last minute requests, or unforeseen technical issues.

It was truly a blessing to work with such great young adults and future leaders, making all the hard work enjoyable.
Creative and Fun Workplace
ALEA III Concert Series Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2015
Management is extremely helpful and invested in running this new music concert series. Coordination of recital managers, music ensembles, advertising campaigns and performing guests runs smoothly. I learn a lot everyday and I am currently taking a leading position in fundraising and public relations.
Pros
Flexible working hours and strong creative initiative
Cons
Could offer more in compensation and benefits.
A very rewarding position that really contributed to society
Boston University Community Service Initiative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 19, 2016
This job required the delivery of foods and beverages to soup kitchens and churches in the surrounding Boston area. I was able to meet a lot of generous people from many backgrounds who all wanted to give back. Working with co-workers was rewarding because we were all their for the same thing.
Pros
Internally rewarding, met very interesting people
Cons
It was very cold delivering the goods
worked independently
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2015
I was responsible for interpreting substantial volumes of original course materials in Japanese and converting all into English for the benefits of hundreds of students. In addition, I developed tests and quizzes in a timely manner and assisted with grading homework and quizzes.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2015
Boston University is a good place to do research, and you can balance your Work and Life there. It also offers you good benefits.
Wonderful Staff
Marsh Chapel Undergraduate Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 28, 2016
It is a challenging internship in many ways. Often I lead and work with people who are much older than I am, while I am in the leadership role. I must be able to work with a large variety of people. Because of the necessity for the Chapel to be a safe place, there is a certain level of decorum that must be maintained. It has been a really wonderful learning experience.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Sometimes not enough staff for everything that needs to get done
Stable and relatively relaxing for entry positions
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 12, 2016
Working in the Medical campus' research lab was everything you would expect. No thrill and no frill. Great for those who want to have an easy full time job and go for their tuition remission benefit and get a graduate degree out of it part-time. Be prepared to work hard for juggling school and work though, it's do-able but not fun.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Boring
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 8, 2016
I have been quite impressed with my mentor and the members of his laboratory, the research we are conducting, the Renal Section and with Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center as a whole. I think this is an ideal setting for me to learn, advance my skills and expertise and continue to develop into an independent scientist. I have been in many research settings, but Boston University is overwhelmingly the best I have encountered
Research Assistant, MET Department (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 17, 2016
The hardest part of this job:

It is always hard to get a article to support our opinion about our research

I learned how to combine real world business with theory in books.

I enjoyed to work with my Professor. He is a creative person.
Pros
Free
Cons
Healthcare insurance

Want to know more about Boston University?

Ask a question
It was a graduate assistantship
IT Support & Web Research (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2016
The work was to take care of IT support and web research during my graduation. I learned many new IT skills.Management was very kind to me.Co workers were very friendly. I had to work on weekends also. The manager was very kind and cooperative.
Pros
Free snacks were given on weekends.
Cons
Working during the exams period.
productive and great placet to work
CAS Information Technology Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2016
I have been an intern at BU in the IT department for the past two years. It is a great place to work, the work atmosphere is busy, co-workers are very helpful.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
N/A
Not much communication
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 21, 2016
This is a very interest place to work. Some co-workers were wonderful . Management wasn't big on communication. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting persons from different places and dealing with all personalities.
Teaching Assistant at Boston University
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2016
I worked there for one year in the Communications Department. There were some complaints about administration issues.
Use for tuition remission- then leave soon
administrative staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 21, 2015
I worked and studied at BU for a very long time. Few of my instructors were tenured, and part time faculty get paid very little. I got no monetary recognition or reward for my degrees though relevant to my job. I know that BU's Personnel office only pays salaries based on a position's demand and how easily it can be filled. Management rarely shows any appreciation for loyalty or anything else. Given the cost of higher ed right now, if you can avail of the tuition benefit, use it and leave ASAP. Otherwise, avoid BU if at all possible. They abuse workers and students while obsessing over bottom lines and perpetual inferiority to Boston's other colleges.
Pros
Tuition remission, nice co-workers
Cons
Poor management throughout, low pay, no advancement
The staff were knowledgeable
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 1, 2016
The staff were very helpful to the students, the staff environment within the office was less than professional,
The staff were always there for the students.
Pros
Knowledgeable staff and helpful to students
Cons
Too much infighting and conflict within the office
Busy, exciting place to work
Residency Education Prog Coord/Asst to Prog Dir (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 8, 2012
Extremely busy with endless variety of new things to learn. I have been able to utilize many of my computer software skills and given the opportunty to change and/or enhance many systems. It gives me a great deal of joy to coordinate and bring structure to prgrams that are disorganized and in need of a fresh eye. I support a person whose responsibilities and status have increased enormously since my arrivial and we have enjoyed growing together. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching my boss grow, flourish and be promoted in areas he feels most passionate. The most difficult part of the job is significantly contributing to the growth for which I am extremely proud, but remain stagnant with regard to advancement and compensation.
Vastly underestimated working place
Researcher in Physics (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 6, 2015
The physics dept. at Boston University is a great place to work. The quality of the research is vastly better than what the overall ranking of the university would lead you to think.
The work environment is very friendly and collaborative which is rare at any research university. This leads to great work-life balance.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
salary is barely adequate for the cost of living in boston
Large Work Enviornment
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 23, 2016
The office was large with over 30 employees for Financial aid alone. We were housed in a building with many other offices that serviced well over 30K students. It was a very fast paced office as you had to answer many questions for student and parents a day.
Terrible managers
Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 25, 2016
Awful and toxic work environment, not willing to improve work conditions even after concerns were brought up multiple times to every supervisor