Boston University Employee Reviews

great job while in school
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 16, 2017
great job while in school
ran errands, checked mail daily, opened mail, filed all mail
wrote letters; answered phones, took messages
greeted all visitors
Doing research as a PhD
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 16, 2017
I did research as a PhD student. The daily working includes class study, design the experiment, analyze the experiment results and improve the experiment, and paper/report writing.
Top-tier science PhD programs
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 9, 2017
Opportunity to work with top notch scientist. Most faculty's websites are outdated, especially older ones. Amount of support depends on department. A lot of chances for collaborations. Engineering school has a lot of great research, too.
BU Vending - It has its light timeframes, and its heavy timeframes
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  BU VendingOctober 8, 2017
Work day starts at 10am, unless specified otherwise by the manager. Typically, we spend morning until lunch filling as many microfridge and safe orders as we can, and after lunch is the same. Those who are not out filling orders stay in the office and answer phone calls from customers. Almost all of the employees are fellow students, so they end up being fairly easy to get along with. Management is average; progress expectations vary between low and high, depending on the time of year. The hardest part of the job is probably moving fridge units up and down stairs, as some of the buildings on campus lack elevators. Other than that it is a fairly lax workplace.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no benefits, sometimes challenging workplace conditions and constraints
BU is the largest private university in he US
Vice President, University Advancement (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 2, 2017
The job was very fast paced and stressful but also rewarding in many ways. The president was controversial but was also regarded as being innovative. I was always on call and at times felt like I had little or no free time due to university commitments and responsibilities. That being said, it was a great training ground for me.
Pros
BU is regarded as one of the top universities on the east coast
Cons
The job was demanding and stressful
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 30, 2017
Working as a graduate teaching assistant afforded me the opportunity to take on a managerial role while assisting the professor with his course. Classroom learning was supplemented with hands-on exercises.
Productive culture
Boston University Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 27, 2017
The research group that I'm part of is very productive, partly due to its wide spectrum of projects from both national organizations and industrial collaborators.
Good team communication and great people
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 18, 2017
As a research asistant at BU, it is very pleasing to work in a team that communicate frequently and share opinions.People there are so friendly and welcoming.
Very Stressful
Assistant Director of Administration (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 13, 2017
Very stressful working atmosphere
They eliminate job positions and expect those left to pick up all of the slack, too much at times for any one person to handle.
Pay is decent
Benefits are great
Management is just horrible
Benefits
Cons
Work Overload, very stressful, management is terrible
Internship
Sports Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 11, 2017
This was an internship after I graduated, this was an unpaid internship. Management seemed really good, I definitely learned a lot there. Made dials to sell ticket and came up with promotion ideas for the upcoming games.

Want to know more about Boston University?

Ask a question
Challenging and Consistent
Assistant Director, Office of Housing, Assignments (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 29, 2017
The work can be challenging at times, but you stay consistently busy. There is little reward in the position, but the culture in the department is friendly and supportive.
Trustees of Boston University does have unions.
Sr. Gifts Coordinator for Gifts and Records (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 24, 2017
I was a member of one of the unions, it was a great benefit. Other than that folks were in positions they had no reason to be in. Some worked there for 20-40 years. There were many microagressions that I experienced.

I wanted the experience of working in Higher Education and I got just that.
Pros
free tuition, location, union
Cons
workplace culture could be tough to navigate.
I was a student worker
STUDENT ADVOCATE, AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 18, 2017
I was a student worker it was part time and volunteer work. I was unpaid but overall a great experience and helped me find a relevant job after graduation
Great if you're going to school as well
Graduate Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2017
great benefits if you're looking to further your education while continuing your career. most offices are flexible enough to allow for an active education schedule in addition to your work schedule.
Manager-Auxiliary Services (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 10, 2017
I thrived as the Manager within the Auxiliary Services division of Boston University. My success mandated that I work collaboratively with municipal leadership and both internal and private stakeholders. In addition to my managerial responsibilities, I served as the project manager for a five-year phased capital improvement project of my department’s facilities.
Bu
On-line Field Advisor (Current Employee) –  onlineAugust 8, 2017
I love helping my on-line students grow as Social Workers. This school provides students opportunities to in the field to explore their career preferences and learn under the direction of other professionals in the field.
Demanding but rewarding
Laboratory Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Environmental EconomicsAugust 4, 2017
Flexible hours if you get the work finished. Area of focus very specific, as expected of research work. I have gained much know-how about laboratory techniques, methods, and procedures that will carry forward into other research directions if I do research in other areas.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Very high demands
Great part time jobs for students
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 3, 2017
As a student, BU made it very easy to have real responsibilities and growth. Hard work is usually well-recognized. Your attitude affects the work environment a lot so do not be discouraged by a negative atmosphere; people usually change if you are positive.
Low pay with high expectations and work load
Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 26, 2017
I worked there over fifteen years ago, so my experience is clearly not close to being current. I was given a high level of responsibility and work load in a very stressful job with a very low rate of pay. My first immediate boss was mindful of that issue but did not have the budget to overcome it. I stuck it out hoping the position would eventually become viable and lead to a solid career foundation--that did not happen.
Fun and Engaging job
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 17, 2017
Really enjoyed my time at BU but felt a little left in the dust in terms of what my role was meant for. I felt useless but found ways to make the office better on my own.