Boston University Employee Reviews

Productive Management Career Experience
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  610 Beacon St, Boston MA 02515September 27, 2016
Supervise, train and otherwise maintain the day to day operational effectiveness of the Housing and Rental Department. Train new personnel, update techniques for continuing employees, monitor and assign workloads, measure effectiveness and design and implement goals for each employee.Handle delicate cases, analyze confidential and personal information to effect resolution. Interaction with students, staff and superiors providing information, answering questions, receiving complaints, take orders and requests in behalf of the University.
Pros
Healthcare, Union Benifits, Tuition for Familiy members
Cons
Parking
A great place to learn and to grow your career
Post-doctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 11, 2017
Boston University provides a high quality work environment.
The faculty staff are often remarkable in many aspects and the training provided is very satisfying.

I recommend BU as a great place to learn and develop your professional skills as well as for growing your career.
Great mentorship, supportive environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 27, 2016
Great mentorship in a supportive environment. Some drudgery when executing repetitive experiments. Friendly coworkers. Management sometimes doesn't provide enough structure. Freedom to solve problems creatively.
A great place to grow.
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  College of Communication in Boston.November 29, 2016
BU will give you as much responsibility as you can handle. No politics. Decency and interesting people to work with. Wish they were here in warm Sarasota!
Pros
Collegiality.
Cons
MUCH committee work.
Great Benefits, Time Off
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 2, 2016
Boston University is a great place to work with excellent benefits and time off. A lot of diversity. You will learn how a large university operates.
Don't Do It
Senior Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 3, 2016
Although it is had to say between departments. Wanting to work there for years and finally getting in the experience was not what I expected it to be. Manager was very demanding and not understanding about personal issues or well-being.
Cons
Management, Training was not comprehensive to the job
Productive work place
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 30, 2016
Loved working there, great staff, excellent organizagtion. Worked there for almost 5 years, reasonble pay for management but and had to resign due to very stressful commute .
Pros
PARKING
Cons
to far for me moved to RI
Review
Retail Dining Operations Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2016
My overall review isn't the best due to management and how staff are treated, to the point that even directors of different departments state the same.
Large employer with vast variety of positions to choose from.
Senior Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2016
Boston University has something for everyone. They are always striving to improve the education that is provided to their students.

I learned a ton from working with the student workforce. They brought a certain energy that is unique to a University setting.

I found that most of the staff shared a common goal to do their fare share while keeping it a enjoyable place to work.

I was blessed to have great leadership to learn from and grow as a young professional.

The most challenging part of my particular job was dealing with last minute requests, or unforeseen technical issues.

It was truly a blessing to work with such great young adults and future leaders, making all the hard work enjoyable.
Boston University private university
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2017
I worked for BU. At this time, this is hard for me to evaluate the quality of BU's training program, caliber of the students of BU. In a decade, when I'm more mature, I will think back this experience as a strawberry on a waffle filled with wipple cream.
great working place
SAS Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 10, 2016
this is the best school in the US, oh, no, in the world. The students are very polite and well educated. lecturers are very patient and would answer any questions you have.
Pros
easy dealing with each other
Cons
low pay
A quiet and efficient environment
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 16, 2016
A quiet and non disturbing environment that gives you enough time to finish your tasks and research in a timely manner. The co-workers are all highly educated and professional which provides a nice educational environment.
Great. Pattime job and earns a lot
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 20, 2016
It is a great experience to practice public speaking and communication with others. Also, the work load is reasonable, professors are friendly and other TAs are nice.
Web Content Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 29, 2016
Great place to work, everyone here is very respectful. At times it can get stressful because of the work load. You're never not working because you have to be on call but that comes with working in the IT dept.
Use for tuition remission- then leave soon
administrative staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 21, 2015
I worked and studied at BU for a very long time. Few of my instructors were tenured, and part time faculty get paid very little. I got no monetary recognition or reward for my degrees though relevant to my job. I know that BU's Personnel office only pays salaries based on a position's demand and how easily it can be filled. Management rarely shows any appreciation for loyalty or anything else. Given the cost of higher ed right now, if you can avail of the tuition benefit, use it and leave ASAP. Otherwise, avoid BU if at all possible. They abuse workers and students while obsessing over bottom lines and perpetual inferiority to Boston's other colleges.
Pros
Tuition remission, nice co-workers
Cons
Poor management throughout, low pay, no advancement
Good work-life balance
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 14, 2016
Very energetic team of employees, get to learn a lot on the job. Supervisors are very experienced, and are ever ready to help with any problems that might crop up.
productive and great placet to work
CAS Information Technology Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2016
I have been an intern at BU in the IT department for the past two years. It is a great place to work, the work atmosphere is busy, co-workers are very helpful.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
N/A
A very rewarding position that really contributed to society
Boston University Community Service Initiative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 19, 2016
This job required the delivery of foods and beverages to soup kitchens and churches in the surrounding Boston area. I was able to meet a lot of generous people from many backgrounds who all wanted to give back. Working with co-workers was rewarding because we were all their for the same thing.
Pros
Internally rewarding, met very interesting people
Cons
It was very cold delivering the goods
Research Assistant, MET Department (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 17, 2016
The hardest part of this job:

It is always hard to get a article to support our opinion about our research

I learned how to combine real world business with theory in books.

I enjoyed to work with my Professor. He is a creative person.
Pros
Free
Cons
Healthcare insurance
Good work/life balance
International Scholar Administrator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 10, 2016
Boston University provides an excellent benefits package and encouragement to grow within one's own department and across the institution.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston University. Our community is ready to answer.