Boston University Employee Reviews in United States

Fun work environment with very intelligent and inspiring coworkers and friendly patient setting
Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 9, 2015
Great way to start your day with these clinics. I learned so much from amazing patients with their personal experiences who are so brave, strong, and kind. The research conducted by each clinic was so interesting to learn and be a part of. This position has such unique centers that are unparalleled in their ability to prosper and help patients. This position had such a profound impact on my personal career.
Pros
finding my passion for health care, intelligent coworkers, great learning experience for coordinating outpatient clinics
Cons
position was limited in its advancement opportunities
Laid back workplace. Great staff.
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MADecember 25, 2015
Very decent job. Great co-workers. Excellent Manager. Free lunch sometimes twice a week. No hassle stress free environment.
worked independently
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2015
I was responsible for interpreting substantial volumes of original course materials in Japanese and converting all into English for the benefits of hundreds of students. In addition, I developed tests and quizzes in a timely manner and assisted with grading homework and quizzes.
great opportunity working with professors and classmate on analog design
Teaching Assistant and Grader (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 26, 2015
Fun work place with active guys.Focusing on Analog design and RF circuit design with platform Cadence. The most interesting part of being a teaching assistant is to talk about designing methods with professors and classmates.
No matter how good you are, the limit is already set for certain people and races
Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 1, 2015
As a professional I have rather contributed than learn any new tricks from the mediocre principle investigators. You create something great and unique it becomes their property and idea. It was twelve hours job everyday and yet pay and benefit were very poor. .
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Credit was not given for good work
Great work experience and environment
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 20, 2015
I cannot speak highly enough about my experience in the BU administrative work environment. I only left because I relocated. Otherwise, I would have remained and developed my professional career there.
Productive workplace that is very slow to embrace change.
Faculty Director, Global Literacy Institute (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 23, 2015
Boston University is similar to a large ship which, in terms of new, innovative ideas, is very difficult to "think outside the box" in terms of its School of Education.
Pros
Kind colleagues.
Cons
Slow educational reform.
A Productive Day in the Library
Student Worker at Mugar Memorial Library (Current Employee) –  Mugar Memorial LibraryMay 24, 2015
Since this is a work-study position during the school year, I do not work full time. Therefore I only work a few shifts during the week. During a typical shift, I may have anywhere from two to a total of slightly over twenty patrons who would need library assistance whether it is that they need my help to searching for a book or they need my assistance in finding and installing software such as Matlab. The general work environment is friendly. Since it is in a library, there is hardly any issues of noise.
Student Job
Media Group Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 17, 2015
Very good place to work as a student. The culture is drived by student culture since that is who you serve or work with. The job is good thing to put on your resume and isn't too demanding
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2015
Boston University is a good place to do research, and you can balance your Work and Life there. It also offers you good benefits.
Not great
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 26, 2015
I have been an employee at Boston University for over 3 years. In that time I have seen the good, bad, and ugly side of things. The good are that for the most part the people there are great. Friendly happy employees, that love what they do. There is also tuition remission that can be used toward your own degree. The bad is there wasn't any room for promotion within my department or for my position. The ugly was the management. Managers and supervisors are not themselves supervised. There seems to be no overseer to make sure that employes are treated fairly, or there is enough coverage for the amounts of work that is coming in. There is a union, but by the time you are filing a complaint, or looking for help things are already out of hand.
Pros
tuition remission, friendly co workers, fast pace enviornment.
Cons
Parking costs, managers
Management of IS&T do not know Audio Visual best practices
Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 18, 2015
As a high level Technician I felt belittled and powerless to make things better. The management doesn't have a clue about audio visual service or implementation.
Autonomy and Trust
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 22, 2015
I work in the Athletic Therapy and Physical Therapy Office at Boston University. I assist the faculty with office support such as faxing, copying, scanning, etc. I answer the office email using Outlook. I answer the phones and direct people to the appropriate faculty or department. I also manage paperwork and Excel documents for the Athletic Training Program. I communicate with the students and maintain and upload documents for the students on BlackBoard. I work independently and am trusted by the faculty. I learned quickly on the job how to use Excel to maintain spreadsheets.
Pros
Flexible hours around my class schedule
Varied work duties with understanding management
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 1, 2015
A typical day at work entails varied job duties: connecting to wi-fi and wired networks, diagnosis of networking, hardware, and software issues, printer support, adding network printers and shared drives; formatting, imaging, and OS installation, as well as dealing with AD and group policy. One of the pros about working at BU is that our managers were very compassionate and understood that student workers were students first.
Amazing experience
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 24, 2015
Helping others in need is a great talent it feels so good because not everyone is perfect. We learned new life skills and lessons, how to be successful in your own way.
Not a very great environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2015
This is an institution of higher education, so the importance of having a degree weighs heavily. The funny thing is is that unlike most other universities, they do not allow their employees to enroll in online education, which makes taking classes difficult. The pay is very low, but they say that individuals make the difference up in the tuition remission, which for most individuals is impossible to use.
Pros
tuition remission
Cons
parking, low pay
Dishwasher and helper
Busser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 17, 2015
I was a dishwasher that helped every chef around the university.
Prep food and assist in anything they need help with. Would clean kitchens and throw away garbage.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Low stress workplace
Office Accounting and Data Administrator Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2015
I enjoy working here. My boss is awesome. He doesn't make me stress out too much and encourages me to be the best I can be. asdfasd fasdfas dfasdfasdf asdfasdf asdfasdf asdfa sdfas dfas dfasdf
Boston University Student Job
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 12, 2015
Working as a student at Boston University has been a great opportunity. I have learned much through my research and gained valuable skills in data analysis. I had the opportunity to also collect data at Boston Medical center during my time there. Overall, it was a great experience.
Vastly underestimated working place
Researcher in Physics (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 6, 2015
The physics dept. at Boston University is a great place to work. The quality of the research is vastly better than what the overall ranking of the university would lead you to think.
The work environment is very friendly and collaborative which is rare at any research university. This leads to great work-life balance.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
salary is barely adequate for the cost of living in boston