Boston University Employee Reviews

Not great
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 26, 2015
I have been an employee at Boston University for over 3 years. In that time I have seen the good, bad, and ugly side of things. The good are that for the most part the people there are great. Friendly happy employees, that love what they do. There is also tuition remission that can be used toward your own degree. The bad is there wasn't any room for promotion within my department or for my position. The ugly was the management. Managers and supervisors are not themselves supervised. There seems to be no overseer to make sure that employes are treated fairly, or there is enough coverage for the amounts of work that is coming in. There is a union, but by the time you are filing a complaint, or looking for help things are already out of hand.
Pros
tuition remission, friendly co workers, fast pace enviornment.
Cons
Parking costs, managers
A Productive Day in the Library
Student Worker at Mugar Memorial Library (Current Employee) –  Mugar Memorial LibraryMay 24, 2015
Since this is a work-study position during the school year, I do not work full time. Therefore I only work a few shifts during the week. During a typical shift, I may have anywhere from two to a total of slightly over twenty patrons who would need library assistance whether it is that they need my help to searching for a book or they need my assistance in finding and installing software such as Matlab. The general work environment is friendly. Since it is in a library, there is hardly any issues of noise.
So so!
Teacher assistant, Sophomore Type Class (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2015
I liked my work nature but my experience could be much better! I think the school of visual arts need to be managed more efficiently to get better results!
Supportive
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 7, 2015
I am proud to have my PhD from Boston University. Research labs, PIs, and working culture are all great there. It is located at the heart of city.
Autonomy and Trust
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 22, 2015
I work in the Athletic Therapy and Physical Therapy Office at Boston University. I assist the faculty with office support such as faxing, copying, scanning, etc. I answer the office email using Outlook. I answer the phones and direct people to the appropriate faculty or department. I also manage paperwork and Excel documents for the Athletic Training Program. I communicate with the students and maintain and upload documents for the students on BlackBoard. I work independently and am trusted by the faculty. I learned quickly on the job how to use Excel to maintain spreadsheets.
Pros
Flexible hours around my class schedule
Boston University Student Job
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 12, 2015
Working as a student at Boston University has been a great opportunity. I have learned much through my research and gained valuable skills in data analysis. I had the opportunity to also collect data at Boston Medical center during my time there. Overall, it was a great experience.
Varied work duties with understanding management
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 1, 2015
A typical day at work entails varied job duties: connecting to wi-fi and wired networks, diagnosis of networking, hardware, and software issues, printer support, adding network printers and shared drives; formatting, imaging, and OS installation, as well as dealing with AD and group policy. One of the pros about working at BU is that our managers were very compassionate and understood that student workers were students first.
A stimulating place to work
Graduate Student, Perissi Lab (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 30, 2015
I enjoy the collaborative nature of this institution. The environment is very stimulating and the my coworkers as well as my boss are very approachable and helpful.
Overall a suitable place to work
Senior Educational Technologist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 30, 2015
BU has been a good environment to work in in general but there is always room for improvement. It's a large university though so there are times where it can be difficult to work collaboratively across departments.
Not a very great environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2015
This is an institution of higher education, so the importance of having a degree weighs heavily. The funny thing is is that unlike most other universities, they do not allow their employees to enroll in online education, which makes taking classes difficult. The pay is very low, but they say that individuals make the difference up in the tuition remission, which for most individuals is impossible to use.
Pros
tuition remission
Cons
parking, low pay
It is a great place to study and work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 18, 2015
Boston University is not only a great institution for learning and performing research, but it also cares about its employees.
Productive long hours
Research Assistant, Department of Biology (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 11, 2015
I work as a volunteer in the lab. The work in this neurophysiology lab is extensive. The dissection only under a surgical microscope need 1 to 2 hours. To get the data and analyzing it might take seven to nine hours for each experiment. But I have learned a lot from the work here.
Great place to gain awesome experience
Financial and Grant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 11, 2015
Working at Boston University is a great place to gain experience in finance, data analysis, financial reporting, client interaction, grant management.
Good if you are pursuing a degree/course
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
Not an official employee. I worked part-time as a software developer, while being a graduate student at BU.

If you are a full-time employee, I hear you get to take courses for free. That's a pretty good deal.
Pros
good colleagues, very friendly and efficient staff
Great
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
Boston University is a great place to network with a lot of opportunity. There are tons of it, so be sure to not any slip out of your hands.
Media and Classroom support
Classroom support - assisting teachers (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2015
Amazing job... great work/home life balance because the compensation was great. Made me look fwd to going to work everyday
Productive place to do the research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2015
I worked as a research assistant to obtain my Ph.D. I mainly did the simulation in the lab. Sometimes I needed to do some experiments. The transportation was convenient. The library was also good for me to find related self-learning resource.
Pros
convenient transportation
Excellent organization
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 11, 2015
This is a great school. I worked here while I studied in the BU College of Arts and Sciences. The staff in every building is friendly and helpful, whether you are working with them or learning from them.
Was a fun place to work
DIRECTOR OF NETWORKS (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2015
The Campus was always buzzing with excitement and people that enjoyed learning new things.

the most enjoyable part of the job was increasing the network speed and bringing a wireless network throughout the environment.

The hardest part of the job was that the salaries were a little low when recruiting new talent
Pros
working with very intelligent people
Cons
traffic jams and over 2 hour commutes
Vastly underestimated working place
Researcher in Physics (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 6, 2015
The physics dept. at Boston University is a great place to work. The quality of the research is vastly better than what the overall ranking of the university would lead you to think.
The work environment is very friendly and collaborative which is rare at any research university. This leads to great work-life balance.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
salary is barely adequate for the cost of living in boston