Bottomline Technologies Employee Reviews

Not too cool.
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHOctober 6, 2017
hired for 7mo contract - just in the groove - 1mo into it project was 'taken back in-house' and I was just out the door and had to ask for a week's notice - thank you very much. Not too cool.
Challenging place to work but great experience
Employee (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHAugust 8, 2017
Upper management is tough but middle managers (at least mine) are very good. Lots of experience with different technologies. Decent place to work but can easily turn into a stressful 50-60 hr/week job if you let it.
Great place
Experienced Technology Sales (Current Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLJune 2, 2017
This is a great place to work. The culture is by far the best I have ever experienced. This is a company that appreciates it's employees. The CEO take personal notice of his employees' lives and cares about us.
Pros
Room for professional growth
Cons
communication can be spotty
A good starting point
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHFebruary 19, 2017
I have never enjoyed such great colleagues or such a good work environment before. Bottomline does a great job of making sure each team member fits with the company's culture and has a driven, cooperative spirit. I have no complaints about anyone I've worked with over the past two years. My only regret is that, with so many lines of business, it is difficult to get a good idea of what the company is doing as a whole and what opportunities are out there. From my experience, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room for lateral movements.
Pros
Great work environment with great colleagues
Nice company - bad salary
Manager (Current Employee) –  NJAugust 22, 2016
- No much ways to go up and develop yourself
- Salary didn't change for years
- Benefits are OK (Tuition reimbursement)
- Wish management was more attentive to employees needs
Potential to be Great
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHAugust 15, 2016
Pros-

The potential of this company is exponential.
The C-level executive leadership is outstanding, the vision and company growth has been consistent over many years.
The Diverse products & technologies, continuous innovation and acquisition strategy will ensure this company continues to grow.
The pace is fast and therefore, Talented Type-A people will thrive.

Cons -

Staffing is too lean for multiple competing priorities and initiatives - contributors feel overworked and the ratio of VP/SVP to engineer is unbalanced significantly. Employees have little respect for the upper management (under the C-level).
Investment in employees and mentoring/training is minimal, with some exceptions
Inconsistent executive leadership at 'next tier down' from C level - focuses more on the financial performance than on customer success and employee development
Compensation inconsistent and not standardized based on role / performance
Catch phrases are used to intend to motivate teams, "good to great" but the action behind them is farse.

The potential for this company is unlimited, some fresh leadership approaches could launch it.
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Marlton, NJFebruary 24, 2016
The department I worked in was very supportive of one another and very productive in meeting quarterly numbers. I enjoyed working closely with the It department as well as upper management to resolve issues when they arose.
Great people, bad work/personal time balance
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHFebruary 17, 2016
A lot of really great people to work with, but upper management needs to be shaken up and re organized. Layoffs 2-3 times a year and not a good balance of personal/work time.
Pros
most of the people
Cons
upper management has no concept of loyalty
Room to Improve
Senior Implementation Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHDecember 7, 2015
Great lines of products. Hard working team member who go above and beyond to work together as a team. Once you move past the everyday worker, inept management makes it tough to thrive.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling, tuition reimbursement, Co-workers
Cons
Management, Management, Management
Working for Bottomline
Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pristina, KosovoOctober 24, 2015
It was 4 of us on our office. There was at least 1 meeting per day with our colleagues from UK and Ukraine offices. It was enjoyable to work for Bottomline. Helpful managers and colleagues, no stress related environment.
Pros
Easy going, 5 weeks vacation
Na
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEOctober 13, 2015
Great Company to work for!!! Very friendly environment. Good Benefits.
Everyone gets along and works together and for each other.
Challenging and Rewarding
Senior Implementation Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHJuly 9, 2015
Everyday you learn something new. Agile and able to deliver Client Delight in the best way possible with full management support. Line of business feels like start up yet backed by large and established business - input is solicited.
Pros
Free fruit, ice cream truck in the summer!
enroll members in online payments program
Network Expansion Representative (Former Employee) –  south portland, MEApril 14, 2015
work was redundant, not fast paced enough and too many attempts at growth and not enough focus on one project at a time so there seemed to be a lot of issues getting things done
Lots of smart people
Dir of Channel Business Development (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 23, 2015
Allot of smart, caring people who try to make a difference. Very broad portfolio of products.
Very informative
Sr QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJune 12, 2014
I am looking forward work in same environment in future.
I have learned more number of technologies at Bottomline as QA Analyst.
Employees Make the Culture but Major Disconnect with Management
Anonomous (Current Employee) –  AnonomousApril 9, 2014
I loved working for this company, but when I found out that I was making 2/3 the industry average the benefits were in no way picking up the slack I had to start searching elsewhere. The employees there make the culture what it is and they live the ethos "Working with and for each other". Employees will bend over backwards to get the job done in a quality fashion and management always promises compensation (i.e. - bonuses and raises) but they never deliver; morale is tanking.

The opportunities are to the moon in this place and you can learn a ton from mentors. I learned many valuable lessons about corporate life in this company and the only complaint is a lack of follow through from management and limited levels of compensation.
Pros
Ice Cream truck on friday's in the summer, fruit basket 2/3 of the year
Cons
Low Compensation and Low Integrity of Management and their promises
Worst company I've ever worked for
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Great Neck, NYNovember 12, 2013
I worked at Bottomline for about three years, writing software for them, and leaving the company was the best decision I've ever made in my career.

Their software is outdated and bloated. Upper management has no long-term vision - they only care about what the numbers look like at the end of the quarter so as to maintain stock value. It's easy to see this when you look at the insider trading within the company: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=EPAY+Insider+Transactions

This means that everyone else in the company is expendable to upper management as long as they can keep the stock value high. There are more frequent layoffs at this company than any other company I've worked for. Within the three years I was there, there were two waves of layoffs. After I left, a number of other employees left voluntarily, and within a year, there was another wave of layoffs.

Whatever you do, do not work for this company.
Soul crushing, life sucking, gut wrenching corporate environment
Client Services (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, New HampshireMay 28, 2013
The BAD:

There is a reason why this place is constantly hiring. While anyone in management will tell you "it is due to growth", it clearly is due to much more than that. I worked here a few years ago but current employees say it is worse now. No company with good management should hire and fire like this place does.

Now surely some people must like this type of "hyper speed, hyper multitasking, fly by the edge of your pants" management style and corporate atmosphere, but clearly for me this was as close to hell as I could imagine. I would bet 95% of the people dreaded every second spent working there....but would never voice it openly out of fear.

From the first day I should of trusted my gut instincts instead of the "salary and benefits package" they touted (which really is not great considering the sacrifices you will make).

They say they are family friendly, but nobody is spending enough time with their husbands, wives or kids....yet alone have time to see relatives. Your personal time will be crushed. You will regret working here when you retire. No human being was sent on earth to suffer this type of work environment. I can only compare it being a modern day slave who gets paid for it.

You will work early, late and very, very hard and if you dont, they "trim the fat every 3-5 months"....FEAR is how they manage you. Never accomplishing enough is how they motivate you.

Nobody smiles. Well HR-sy types do but nobody else unless they are leaving for lunch or the day.

The GOOD:

Coworkers were actually pretty good overall. Management touts the "great team
  more... culture" but in reality they hire/fire at will and only those who work to death stick around.

You will learn here. They force you to learn fast and furious and high stress or you wont last. You will learn if this is what you want out of your life on earth.

Pay, I think pay is average. If you go to a salary calculator they pay you average...sadly today average pay is a blessing...combined with decent/average benefits and most people are running for that job. I advise you run from this one.

Pros
Almost none
Cons
Just too much demand and forced control and fear..worst of all, no life.
Good to Learn At, Quick to Plateau and Become Stifled
Digital Designer, Front-End Developer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHMay 9, 2013
The company is bogged down by an overbearing network of bureaucracy. For being a tech company, it is ironically slow to adopt new and forward thinking platforms and standards - their corporate website is a glaring example of this sort of backwards thinking.

Numbers and illusion of company gains are valued more than clear and honest communication with prospects and customers. Expect to have processes ignored and overstepped by management. The company does a good job at squashing any initiative or enthusiasm one would otherwise have for their position.
24/7 no culture...no nothing..and upper mgmt doesn't care
Sales (Former Employee) –  New HampshireMarch 11, 2013
This is one of those companies...that when the economy picks up people will run from.

No leadership
No management
No future
No life
No one cares
Pros
they have good coffee
Cons
i ever walked in the door

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bottomline Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9