Bottomline Technologies

Bottomline Technologies Employer Reviews

Employees Make the Culture but Major Disconnect with Management
Anonomous (Current Employee), AnonomousApril 9, 2014
Pros: ice cream truck on friday's in the summer, fruit basket 2/3 of the year
Cons: low compensation and low integrity of management and their promises
I loved working for this company, but when I found out that I was making 2/3 the industry average the benefits were in no way picking up the slack I had to start searching elsewhere. The employees there make the culture what it is and they live the ethos "Working with and for each other". Employees will bend over backwards to get the job done in a quality – more... fashion and management always promises compensation (i.e. - bonuses and raises) but they never deliver; morale is tanking.

The opportunities are to the moon in this place and you can learn a ton from mentors. I learned many valuable lessons about corporate life in this company and the only complaint is a lack of follow through from management and limited levels of compensation. – less
Worst company I've ever worked for
Software Developer (Former Employee), Great Neck, NYNovember 12, 2013
I worked at Bottomline for about three years, writing software for them, and leaving the company was the best decision I've ever made in my career.

Their software is outdated and bloated. Upper management has no long-term vision - they only care about what the numbers look like at the end of the quarter so as to maintain stock value. It's easy to see – more... this when you look at the insider trading within the company: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=EPAY+Insider+Transactions

This means that everyone else in the company is expendable to upper management as long as they can keep the stock value high. There are more frequent layoffs at this company than any other company I've worked for. Within the three years I was there, there were two waves of layoffs. After I left, a number of other employees left voluntarily, and within a year, there was another wave of layoffs.

Whatever you do, do not work for this company. – less
Soul crushing, life sucking, gut wrenching corporate environment
Client Services (Former Employee), Portsmouth, New HampshireMay 28, 2013
Pros: almost none
Cons: just too much demand and forced control and fear..worst of all, no life.
The BAD:

There is a reason why this place is constantly hiring. While anyone in management will tell you "it is due to growth", it clearly is due to much more than that. I worked here a few years ago but current employees say it is worse now. No company with good management should hire and fire like this place does.

Now surely some people must like – more... this type of "hyper speed, hyper multitasking, fly by the edge of your pants" management style and corporate atmosphere, but clearly for me this was as close to hell as I could imagine. I would bet 95% of the people dreaded every second spent working there....but would never voice it openly out of fear.

From the first day I should of trusted my gut instincts instead of the "salary and benefits package" they touted (which really is not great considering the sacrifices you will make).

They say they are family friendly, but nobody is spending enough time with their husbands, wives or kids....yet alone have time to see relatives. Your personal time will be crushed. You will regret working here when you retire. No human being was sent on earth to suffer this type of work environment. I can only compare it being a modern day slave who gets paid for it.

You will work early, late and very, very hard and if you dont, they "trim the fat every 3-5 months"....FEAR is how they manage you. Never accomplishing enough is how they motivate you.

Nobody smiles. Well HR-sy types do but nobody else unless they are leaving for lunch or the day.

The GOOD:

Coworkers were actually pretty good overall. Management touts the "great team culture" but in reality they hire/fire at will and only those who work to death stick around.

You will learn here. They force you to learn fast and furious and high stress or you wont last. You will learn if this is what you want out of your life on earth.

Pay, I think pay is average. If you go to a salary calculator they pay you average...sadly today average pay is a blessing...combined with decent/average benefits and most people are running for that job. I advise you run from this one. – less

May 30, 2013

I lasted longer than many and was promised growth. All I received was mounting work, clearly still a boys club. I was fortunate to escape this lifestyle (or lack there of) at a crucial point where I would have been buried additionally due to lack of foresight by those called managers. The burden most suffer silently is continued due to fear of unemployment. The excuse of "growth" only applies to the salary and bonus for one in HR and the exec level. While I don't disagree those who work hard should be compensated but imagine a ship without those below rowing with all their might. While I would have taken a pay cut from my horribly low salary..Karma seemed to step in. Unemployment compensation is better than signing on with this company.

Good to Learn At, Quick to Plateau and Become Stifled
Digital Designer, Front-End Developer (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHMay 9, 2013
The company is bogged down by an overbearing network of bureaucracy. For being a tech company, it is ironically slow to adopt new and forward thinking platforms and standards - their corporate website is a glaring example of this sort of backwards thinking.

Numbers and illusion of company gains are valued more than clear and honest communication with – more... prospects and customers. Expect to have processes ignored and overstepped by management. The company does a good job at squashing any initiative or enthusiasm one would otherwise have for their position. – less
24/7 no culture...no nothing..and upper mgmt doesn't care
Sales (Former Employee), New HampshireMarch 11, 2013
Pros: they have good coffee
Cons: i ever walked in the door
This is one of those companies...that when the economy picks up people will run from.

No leadership
No management
No future
No life
No one cares
Productive, fast growing and fun work environment
Paymode-X Sales Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee), South Portland, MEJanuary 23, 2013
Great team spirit and cooperation within immediate department team or other department. Fast growing means ongoing changes in strategy, sometimes on a day to day basis. Co-workers willing to help and support you in research and responses to clients and/or vendors/suppliers.
The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to Accounts Receivable staff/mgmt. – more... from companies all over the US and building positive relationships.
The hardes part of the job was the 100 mile drive to and from work each day.
I would highly recommend Bottomline Technologies to anyone looking for an exciting, interesting work environment. – less

May 30, 2013

Among all of the comments, you stand out to everyone as the one who is moved until a position works out for a little while. Had to laugh when reading this comment.

Hard work and dedication is rewarded
Senior Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee), Wilton, CTJanuary 17, 2013
A forty hour work week is standard, however, extra hours may be need to get the job done properly. Everyone pitches in, rolls up their sleeves and works their hardest.
Longevity possible if you entertain upper management.
Finance (Current Employee), Portsmouth NHJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: health insurance & location
Cons: poor management, low salaries, lack of professionalism, respect and very poor work environment.
Long days, and weekends are expected when working towards a career goal. Unfortunate that the management is completely incompetent, has no vision nor offers direction to their staff. This results in high turnover of staff, not management.
If you are searching for a career and a long term company to invest your time in and in return expect constructive – more... feedback, advancement and moderate security, keep searching.
Most co-workers are either looking for an outside opportunity or simply complacent and waiting for the next round of layoffs to boost the quarterly numbers or management bonus schedule.

Salary is very low for the workload that is added without review of an employees current load. Unreasonable demands are made on most of their staff. – less
Paymode-X Enrollment Manager (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHOctober 1, 2012
Pros: opportunity for growth and development
Cons: lack of clear vision and direction of company
Bottomline is a unique company. Poor leadership and direction provided at top level. Poor organizational structure and overworked employees that find it difficult to do their jobs adaquately because they are pulled in too many directions as a result of leadership.
Company that has great people, but bad pay, and snobby Upper Mgmt
SOFTWARE IMPLEMENTATION MANAGER (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHAugust 5, 2012
Pros: good location, near highway
Cons: upper management and low pay
Company has great people to work with, but upper management will never speak to you. Benefits are pretty good, but the pay for the general sector is low.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior QA Engineer (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHApril 12, 2012
I worked 8.30am -5pm five days a week sometime weekends as well. I learned lot of new technologies, trained new hires, helped team members. In my recent job I worked in Agile development and enjoyed daily stand ups.
Good company, fast driven
Documents Project Manager (Former Employee), ReadingSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: good company, solid growth.
Cons: pay/ wlb
Good company to work for, looks after employees.
Worklife balance could be better along with pay

About Bottomline Technologies

Bottomline Technologies helps you track both the bottom dollar and the bill. The company provides enterprise software for payment – Read more