Boulder Community Health Employee Reviews

Workplace culture
Advanced Practice Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 20, 2017
Great work environment. Pay is not competitive but otherwise good place to work.
I have continued to work at BCH for almost 15 years. It is a supportive work culture.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Pay
Productive and constantly changing workplace
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 14, 2017
Schedule patients for Imaging Appointments, Pre-register patients for
surgical procedures. Update insurance information. Verify orders from physician offices. Communicate with physician offices about patient care,and Hospital protocols. Verify Medical Necessity with Medicare. I learned that there are a lot of doctors who do not understand the ICD-10 coding system. I enjoy working with the patients, and helping them find their way through the maze of healthcare.
Boulder Community Homecare
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Boulder County, CONovember 21, 2017
The office staff, nursing and therapists are very experienced & thorough. They knock themselves out on a regular basis w/ some extremely complex patients who have limited resources. They take the patients that for profit agencies won't touch. I love the close collaboration and focus on the patients. Emotionally it can be draining to have one demanding case after another and there isn't an internal support system.
The pay is just fair, but if you work 20 hrs. you are eligible for all the benefits in prorated form. That is a lifesaver in this world of per visit therapy pay without benefits. No one works full-time except some of the office staff. I don't know how people survive financially. I have to have another job in order to make ends meet. It is telling in that there are NO MALES on the staff. My theory is that the pay is just too low....
That said, it is an amazing place in that there is very little turn-over so the office flows smoothly and you get to develop personal relationships w/ intake and all the supervisors. Dedicated is how I'd describe my co-workers. Many staff have left and then returned.
They have just gone from paper to computers and are using Meditech software which is among the least user friendly sw that I've used. They had the nursing and rehab. supervisors teaching us how to use a system that they didn't know how to use!!! I've worked at all kinds of hospitals & agencies that document on computers and I've never seen so little IT support to the field staff during the transition.
I wish they paid better and offered more work and I would be very happy
  more... to work here until I retire. In the meantime, I need to find another job w/ more hours and better pay......  less
Pros
Experienced & collaborative co-workers, Community oriented, Dedicated staff
Cons
Low pay, Limited hrs., Forgotten stepchild of the hospital
Caution with the Lab
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 21, 2017
BCH lab has very bad management. Too many managers in the lab. They are all best friends and defend each other. It's definitely a clique, so they ignore the mistreatment of the employees.
The leads are very inappropriate and don't know how to treat others. They treat you as if you are incompetent and just another warm body. One of the leads is very hostile and aggressive. The other continues to sexually harass young women.
Pros
Great coworkers
Miss it
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CO 80304August 23, 2017
I should have stayed. If only the drive wouldn't have been so long. :(
I learned a lot of skills and made good friends. Knowledge and training I can take anywhere. VERY fun, old hospital!
Pros
learned about insurance and processing claims
Cons
Too far to drive, too many tasks to shoulder toward the end of my employment there
I love working for BCH
Patient Portal Rep/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 3, 2017
They treat their employees swell, the pay is decent and good benefits. I feel like I am missing out, if I choose another career, but I have to go where my heart is, and that is in a different state. Otherwise, I would be with BCH forever.
Great patients and coworkers but terrible management and low morale
Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 1, 2017
If you are a new grad in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, then this is the perfect place to start your career for a year or two and then move on. You can expect to obtain experience in a variety of scans and be trained by some skilled and some not-so-skilled sonographers. If you stay longer than 6 months, you will help orient and train others who were hired that don't even know how to scan and then watch them leave when they can get a better job elsewhere. You will have plenty of goodbye parties because the turnover rate is rediculous. You will learn to love your coworkers dearly because you absolutely have to support one another on a skeleton crew. Be prepared to be overworked because it is ALWAYS understaffed. Management will pretend to care and pretend that they respect and value staff opinions but constantly make changes and decisions that don't make sense to those of us who work in direct patient contact. Management is a complete partisanship and will find a way to get rid of anyone who disagrees, which, in turn, will increase your workload when they're gone. Morale of the Ultrasound Department is usually in the toilet, and when it is, it is YOUR fault. Management will label you as disgruntled and "poison in the pot" rather than do anything positive to boost morale. Work your tail off while bad managers breed more bad managers. When multiple Sonographers approach Human Resources with proof of dishonesty and lack of integrity in a supervisor, be prepared for absolutely nothing because that's exactly what happens.

If you are a Sonographer with experience and are offered
  more... a position with BCH, be warned that you will most likely turn it down due to low-ball pay. Be very specific about your job description, hours, pay, benefits, raises/bonuses, etc. because it will most likely be different by the time you actually start.

If it means anything, I was a Sonographer at BCH that stuck it out longer than most. The average life span there is 1-2 years, if that. I was NEVER written up and I was NOT fired; I left on my own after I had put up with the bull long enough.
Pros
Amazing and supportive coworkers and radiologists
Cons
High turnover; untrustworthy management
Aloof
Middle management (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 28, 2017
No one can afford to live anywhere near BCH. Wages don't allow it. Management wants to act like they care. Patients are aloof and over demanding. Don't waste your time.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, management
Warning
Lab Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 21, 2017
I am going to save you time a day heartache, by being truthfully honest about this place.

You will be over worked and underpaid, and Management will act like they care about you but in all reality they don't. If Management does not like you they will find a way to dispose you.

Not a good place to work, if you do not believe me then apply and find out for yourself!
Pros
Good lunches, great co workers, hours
Cons
Management, work load, over worked, you end up doing majority of the med techs job and they claim all the credit.
Love my job
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 17, 2017
I am currently employed by Boulder Community Health. While I love my job, the patients and the Doctor I work with my current physician is decreasing hours.
Pros
Great patient and employee experience
Cons
Not always given time for a lunch
Positive work environment
Health Administration Intern (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 30, 2017
Great hospital to be interning with. I am a health administration intern. I work with the field operations team and thoroughly enjoy the work I get to see done and do myself.
Not a good longterm choice
Ultrasound Technologist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 1, 2017
Too many people come and go out of this department due to bad Supervision. They quit, get pushed out or get fired all the time for things that are not handled properly. Not the best for ongoing department stability. The Hospital has stability problems too and lots of travelers.
Pros
It's an overall friendly place to work as far as employees, Doctors, etc.... Boulder is a beautiful place to work.
Cons
Pay is low for the area, so it's hard or impossible to live there.
great place
120 Hour Externship Medical Billing and Coding (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 20, 2016
I did my internship here and was treated with respect. I had lots of hands on experience with filing claims with medicare and medicaide. The people here are always willing to answer questions
Very patient satisfaction focused.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 2, 2016
Boulder community health has been a great employer. It hired me as I graduated from school. It provided me with great experience. The physicians they have are exceptional and I'm proud to work with them. Boulder community health has always made clear there number one goal is patients satisfaction and being there for the community.
Pros
Health benefits, great learning experience
Cons
Short breaks, understaffed
Fellow Co-workers
Surgical Technologist (Advanced) (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 29, 2016
This facility has some of the most talented and seasoned nurses around. I feel that it has been an honor to work with some of the community's most talented individuals
Night shift
Respiratory Therapist - Full Time Night Shift (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 21, 2016
!0 years here, keeps a therapist on their toes! Work loads can vary, always can advance knowledge. Culture here can be challenging, including management and peers. Team work could be stronger but caring for pt's is such a reward, my main love!
Terrible management, no work/life balance
Food Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 5, 2016
Work here if you want your schedule to be changed on your day off, and then get angry calls from your manager at 6am when you aren't there for the shift they never actually told you about.

Work here if you want to be ignored and your concerns to be swept under the rug.

Work here if you don't expect any chance of advancement.

Work here if you really want someone yelling at you because you can't hold it anymore and you need to use the restroom, or when you come back after 11 minutes of a break instead of 10 because the elevators are so slow.

Work here if you want to dread coming to work every day.
A wonderful place to work.
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (AAMA) (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 3, 2016
BCH is a great place to work. There is ample opportunity for advancement if you are a hard worker and team player. The hours are long but the reward is satisfying.
Pros
Healthcare, benefits.
Cons
Long hours.
Steer Clear
STERILE PROCESSING TECHNICIAN III (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 15, 2016
BCH used to be a place where people enjoyed working. Not so much anymore. The pay is by far the lowest in the region, there are far too many managers and supervisors and not enough regular staff, and the shift differentials and benefits have been reduced. I would not recommend working here.
Productive work place
Laboratory Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 25, 2016
Co-workers and patients were outstanding! Upper management fails to care for their employees and make it seem like most are expendable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boulder Community Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9