Boulder Valley School District Employee Reviews

Flexible and fun place to work
Special Education Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 18, 2017
A great place to work if you interact with children and people well. The hours are great, pay is good, benefits are superb, and recognition is often awarded for a job well done.
Pros
Great working environmnet
Cons
N/a
great job
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 13, 2017
a great place to work. Hard work but everyone pitches in and helps each other. nights and weekends off are a giant plus. Every day is a great day at work
Pros
all
Cons
Fun place to work with open dialogue regarding ways to change procedures
Attendance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 12, 2017
In Boulder Valley Schools there is room for advancement, comradery, wonderful staff and full support from administration and district office. The staff is open to suggestions for more efficient ways of completing a task.

First thing in the morning is to pick up phone calls and enter attendance issues. I then answer incoming calls after all messages are taken. I help with the front desk reception area when needed and answer the phone and direct call to correct person, help students and staff with questions and concerns.

The hardest part of the positions I held at Boulder
Valley Schools is getting out of work on time.
Pros
open minds for suggestions in all areas
Cons
Sometimes ther is no time to eat lunch away from your desk
Typical
Field Engineer/Tier (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 12, 2017
Middle Management is Great - Upper Management has their own agenda and will try to crush anyone who does not agree with them
Work is typical, crunch times at the beginning of the school year and during state testing.
The IT director has unrealistic aspirations that is dumped on those below him.
Supervisors and managers, for the most part, are understanding of this.
Educational related work
DATA SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 30, 2017
Typical work involved data cleaning and inspection. Work culture was friendly and supportive. Opportunities were provided for growth and advancement. Would recommend.
Progressive District
Secondary Language Arts teacher (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 18, 2017
Progressive District. Work, much like life, is what one makes of it. Rather than complaining about what's wrong, I choose to be proactive and contribute to the solution.
Excellent school
CASEY MIDDLE SCHOOL - STUDENT TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 17, 2017
They really care about teaching the kids through both traditional and experiential methods, which adds to the value of the students overall learning experience.
Good benefits, frustrating environment w many bosses
Support Secretary (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 13, 2017
Any school district is run by a large hierarchy with too many bosses. Sometimes that can get frustrating, but the benefits are good.
It's nice to have the summer and Spring Break off work.
Each day is a little different because of the students.
Pros
The work varies day to day, summers off !
Cons
too many bosses
Great social group, very friendly management
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 26, 2017
I have very much enjoyed working for the BVSD transportation department. The training exceeds the standards set forth by the DOT and has enabled me to feel competent and skilled as a school bus driver. Management is quick to respond to questions and to work with employee's personal needs. Other employees are friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
Full benefits with part time work
Cons
Some of the busses are a bit old
Good experience. Learned from my colleagues.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 22, 2016
Good experience. Collaborated with colleagues to make decisions that were in the best interest of kids. The hardest part of the job was the political nature of the position I was in. Worked through it.
Pros
Principals I supervised. They were great!
Cons
Politics of the position I was in.
Very dependent on what branch you work for!
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COAugust 8, 2016
I've worked solely for the Life Long Learning Branch, and have worked there for 6+ years. Since I've worked at BVSD a long time, I have had a variety of both positive and negative experiences, mostly positive though!
Stellar District
Teacher and Liaison (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 2, 2016
Innovative, equity, and transparency are positive words they strive for. They have bilingual schools and alternative schools.

On the negative side, they need to work on a diverse working staff in all their schools. Students need role-models that they can identify with and feel empowered to achieve higher education.
Like what I do, operating wide format and color copiers
Copy and Print Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 25, 2016
A typical day consists of filling work from an online Digital Storefront. Most aren't ready to output, and must be revised for printing. I order supplies for my jobs and jobs of coworkers. When coworkers need assistance, they usually come to me. We have no manager over the shop to help with work flow and problems, so we do the best we can.
Pros
40 hrs a week
Cons
No manager
Productive and exciting workplace
SAC staff (Current Employee) –  Gunbarrel, COMarch 20, 2016
Co-workers were nice
Hardest part were the non-listening kids
Most enjoyable was seeing kids laugh and smile
The management was alright
I learned lots of patience
A 4 hour work day
Tutoring at a local high school
Math and Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 18, 2016
I tutored a small group of students a couple times a week in math and science. This tutoring program was part of a college class I was taking and was not paid but rather graded. Tutoring was a great experience and it was beneficial to me to be able to help others in the subjects I enjoyed most.
Pros
Experience teaching others
Cons
Not a paid gig
Nederland Elementary - exemplary workplace
Early Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nederland, COJanuary 7, 2016
My rating above is for Boulder Valley Schools. My posting was at Nederland Elementary, which I would rate much higher than the district as a whole. The culture at the school is supportive and inclusive, parents and staff collaborate on the best educational programs for our students. The principal works to include the district's agendas into the school environment and advocates for our specific needs in the mountains, so far from the education center.
I learned shared decision making and collaboration in the years I worked at Nederland. Teachers support each other and the student body as a whole.
Pros
collaborative environment, an integral part of the community
Cons
paperwork
Great place to teach and sub
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boulder County, COSeptember 17, 2015
As a sub, I frequently walk into unfamiliar situations surrounded by unfamiliar people. I've learned a lot about behavior management and picked up some great ideas for when I have a classroom of my own. As a sub, my biggest responsibility is to ensure the safety of the students as well as maintain the condition of the classroom and materials they use. I sometimes have to make up engaging lesson plans on the fly for subjects with which I have little familiarity.
My favorite job of all time. Hated leaving to relocate.
Driver/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 6, 2014
Very supportive in your success. Co-workers are great and very friendly. The best part of the job was the semi-independence and working with students.
Pros
Plenty of personal time available. Ablility to work as often or little as you would like.
Cons
Early morning start
Just another day in the classroom
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 5, 2014
You have to have your own tricks as a substitute teacher. Don't ever let the students believe for one second that you don't know what you're doing. Arrive early to get oriented. Make sure you know the lesson plans front to back. Talk to the other teachers, if possible, to find out if there are any systems in place for discipline.

I learned to keep a watchful eye and not allow students to get away with things that I know are against the rules - like texting or listening to music.

But at the same time I've learned to be relaxed. Sometimes, as a substitute, you really don't have much control or say over what the students can and cannot do. You are there to monitor, not discipline. So sometimes you just have to go with the flow and just try to keep the noise-level of the classroom down to a minimum.

The hardest thing about substituting is knowing you don't have much control. Many teachers don't let substitutes present new material or even review, so it's often just busy-work and the students know it. They assume the substitute doesn't know anything. The worst part is not knowing their names or who they are. If it's your first and last day in that classroom, you don't get the opportunity to really learn names, so if a kid is acting up, you can't call them out by name and put them on the spot. They know they are relatively anonymous, and there is power in that. It's frustrating.

The best part of substituting is getting to see all the different campuses and the different systems in place at the different schools. Every school has it's own atmosphere, student body, level
  more... of teacher enthusiasm, resources, etc. It's definitely fun getting to be a part of so many different learning environments.  less
I enjoy working on different challenges every day.
Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 13, 2013
Regarding either career - education, construction - I enjoyed being involved with many people and managing goals whether the completion of a building or building the civic and intellectual lives of my students.
Pros
travel, free books
Cons
usually involved a Saturday or Sunday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boulder Valley School District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3