Boulder Valley School District Employee Reviews in United States

Like what I do, operating wide format and color copiers
Copy and Print Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 25, 2016
A typical day consists of filling work from an online Digital Storefront. Most aren't ready to output, and must be revised for printing. I order supplies for my jobs and jobs of coworkers. When coworkers need assistance, they usually come to me. We have no manager over the shop to help with work flow and problems, so we do the best we can.
Pros
40 hrs a week
Cons
No manager
Tutoring at a local high school
Math and Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 18, 2016
I tutored a small group of students a couple times a week in math and science. This tutoring program was part of a college class I was taking and was not paid but rather graded. Tutoring was a great experience and it was beneficial to me to be able to help others in the subjects I enjoyed most.
Pros
Experience teaching others
Cons
Not a paid gig
Nederland Elementary - exemplary workplace
Early Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nederland, COJanuary 7, 2016
My rating above is for Boulder Valley Schools. My posting was at Nederland Elementary, which I would rate much higher than the district as a whole. The culture at the school is supportive and inclusive, parents and staff collaborate on the best educational programs for our students. The principal works to include the district's agendas into the school environment and advocates for our specific needs in the mountains, so far from the education center.
I learned shared decision making and collaboration in the years I worked at Nederland. Teachers support each other and the student body as a whole.
Pros
collaborative environment, an integral part of the community
Cons
paperwork
Great place to teach and sub
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boulder County, COSeptember 17, 2015
As a sub, I frequently walk into unfamiliar situations surrounded by unfamiliar people. I've learned a lot about behavior management and picked up some great ideas for when I have a classroom of my own. As a sub, my biggest responsibility is to ensure the safety of the students as well as maintain the condition of the classroom and materials they use. I sometimes have to make up engaging lesson plans on the fly for subjects with which I have little familiarity.
My favorite job of all time. Hated leaving to relocate.
Driver/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 6, 2014
Very supportive in your success. Co-workers are great and very friendly. The best part of the job was the semi-independence and working with students.
Pros
plenty of personal time available. ablility to work as often or little as you would like.
Cons
early morning start
Just another day in the classroom
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 5, 2014
You have to have your own tricks as a substitute teacher. Don't ever let the students believe for one second that you don't know what you're doing. Arrive early to get oriented. Make sure you know the lesson plans front to back. Talk to the other teachers, if possible, to find out if there are any systems in place for discipline.

I learned to keep a watchful eye and not allow students to get away with things that I know are against the rules - like texting or listening to music.

But at the same time I've learned to be relaxed. Sometimes, as a substitute, you really don't have much control or say over what the students can and cannot do. You are there to monitor, not discipline. So sometimes you just have to go with the flow and just try to keep the noise-level of the classroom down to a minimum.

The hardest thing about substituting is knowing you don't have much control. Many teachers don't let substitutes present new material or even review, so it's often just busy-work and the students know it. They assume the substitute doesn't know anything. The worst part is not knowing their names or who they are. If it's your first and last day in that classroom, you don't get the opportunity to really learn names, so if a kid is acting up, you can't call them out by name and put them on the spot. They know they are relatively anonymous, and there is power in that. It's frustrating.

The best part of substituting is getting to see all the different campuses and the different systems in place at the different schools. Every school has it's own atmosphere, student body, level of teacher
  more... enthusiasm, resources, etc. It's definitely fun getting to be a part of so many different learning environments.  less
I enjoy working on different challenges every day.
Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 13, 2013
Regarding either career - education, construction - I enjoyed being involved with many people and managing goals whether the completion of a building or building the civic and intellectual lives of my students.
Pros
travel, free books
Cons
usually involved a saturday or sunday
Good employer-employee relations
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 19, 2013
Driving a school bus and interacting with the children was the fun (and usually very easy part of the job; getting up at 4am to be at work by 5:30am was not so easy. Management and co-workers were mostly very good. Any difficulties were usually easily and quickly resolved with ruffled feathers.
Cons
split shift
Fun enviroment to work in
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CODecember 7, 2012
Provided a fun and safe environment for children. Taught and enhanced children’s large and small motor skills. Spoke with parents about any questions or concerns. Most enjoyble part was working with chrildren. Co works were great, helped me with fun ideas to make learning fun for the chrildren. The hardest part of the job was seeing the kids leave crying because they didnt want to go home. The management and staff was great help with creating fun and exciting projects for the chrildren.
Good people
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 19, 2012
I have worked with wonderful people. People who are good teachers and put a lot of themselves into their jobs.
Exciting, quick thinking, constantly changing.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CoAugust 29, 2012
I enjoyed being creative with how to get through to all my students at once. Coming up with new and fun ways to learn. I helped the students with their lessons, transition from activity to activity, class to class, taking tests, quizzes, following whatever guidelines the teacher had set for the day. It was always exciting never knowing what to expect since you are working with a large group of students and they are human so everyone has mood swings.
Pros
varied, fast paced, creative
Coached a very goog high school golf team
Head Coach (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, COAugust 19, 2012
I worked for a season as a head coach of the very good men's golf team for Centaurus High School in Lafayette. I had ball. The team was very good. We won 7 out of 9 our matches.
Summary of Boulder Valley School District
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boulder Valley School DistrictJune 15, 2012
I am pleased with the overall performance of BVSD as a Substitute Teacher and as a Native Language Tutor. BVSD treats all of it's employees as "family". I was an integral part of the schools that I worked at. My benefits were comprehensive and adequate. When I was substituting at a school I received my assignment and adequate lesson plans upon arrival at the school. Since I was punctual, flexible, and willing to work hard I found the experience extremely rewarding and learned to become a better teacher as a result of working at BVSD.

4.2