Bowie State University Employee Reviews

Nice place to work but management needs routine training
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDFebruary 7, 2017
Enjoyed my work; however, management should be required to take refresher courses on human interaction and sensitivity issues.
Pros
Free tuition to employees
Cons
Salary, poor management/leadership
Good Place to Be!!
Head Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDAugust 20, 2016
I work with real good people who have a love for the university! In my department, you will be asked to work long hours. What you learn is it more given to the university than to yourself.
Pros
Good People, Not Stressful
Cons
Compensation/ Benefits
workload Vs Payment and enviroment
Information desk technician (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDMarch 17, 2017
for the amount of work I preform vs what I am paid and have to deal with is unsatisfactory all across the board. the organization is very poor, it seems to be a lack their of or none at all. my job is to service students, workers and guest. with anything from setting up a room for an event that's taking place to running the equipment and making sure all technologies are working properly before said guest arrive. to making sure the food is correct. nonetheless with all these responsibilities one has to do it should show in the appreciation of the workers along with the adequate pay.
Pros
the convience and they work around my school schedule.
Cons
workload Vs pay is very unsatifcatory
Harsh working condition. Fun working culture and peolpe
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDFebruary 28, 2017
Diversity at work. Fast pace and continues work. harsh working condition; less safety. Free lunch. irregular schedule. Poor communication between management and employee.
Great learning experience
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDAugust 31, 2016
A typical day was waking up and attending class with the students and helping them with their work. I have learned that just because, I am the mentor does not mean I know everything because, the students have taught me a lot. Management was okay. The hardest part about the job was knowing I was going to have to let the students move on and start their college journey. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new faces.
Pros
great individuals
Cons
not enough time
Productive Research Environment
Research Scholar (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDJanuary 8, 2017
Work started at 8A.M. and would typically end around 5:30 P.M. The work days consisted of running columns and rottovaping and recording data.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
time it took to run a column
productive place and staff are friendly
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDOctober 20, 2016
every one is fun to work with.
they are all goal oriented
the organization is diversified which is a good thing for me because i love to learn new cultures
Okay
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDSeptember 8, 2016
Students and coworkers are great but the pay is below average. If I had better pay, job security, and better opportunity for advancement I would stay longer.
Fun workplace
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDAugust 31, 2016
Not only were the students learning from me but I was learning a lot from them as well. I loved this job because, I was really able to understand what the students were going through not only within the classrooms but on a personal level as well. My co workers were funny and outgoing. The hardest part about this job was having to leave the students. What i enjoyed the most about this job was spending all day being a mentor and showing the students around.
Bowie State University
IT Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDDecember 16, 2015
I am a student worker and to be able to gain experience in my field of study has given me wonder benefits. I came into the job not knowing too much besides the book knowledge, but the technicians on duty are very helpful and teach you whatever you need to know.

Want to know more about Bowie State University?

Ask a question
work environment
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDSeptember 10, 2016
Working with older individuals can be a challenge but it is not something you can't get use to. The pay rate is decent for a work study student and you learn by doing research about the university and what they have to offer during your free time.
Pros
experience
Cons
Learned more about campus policing
Uniformed Police Officer III - Corporal (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDOctober 22, 2015
I started as a Security Guard and was able to attend the Police Academy (MPCTC, Sykesville) shortly after. I was able to acquire law enforcement experience through my experienced co-workers. I was given good ratings on my performance evaluations and obtained a leadership position within a year after the academy.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Understaffing
Job review
Support Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDSeptember 10, 2016
great experience. worked on various project including design and deployment, monitoring systems, security configuration, infrastructure renewal project and IT networking.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDJune 10, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my previous place of employment was the joy it brought by assisting customers effectively, while also building lasting relationships.
Pros
Diverse Responsibilites
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Loved The Opportunity
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDAugust 23, 2016
I learned so much, but was laid off due to budget cuts. I have nothing but good things to say about this job. I would love to work for them again.
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDFebruary 5, 2016
Working in Bowie is really great, flexible even though there good days and bad bays which i thin its general to all jobs and companies.
I have learnt a lot working in Bowie, things like better communication with fellow staffs, how to relate with customer, how to manage time and do things are the right time in the right place. The management is good, well organised and they care about the welfare of the staff. Not all days are good days, there times you have to do beyond your limit just to meet up with the task you have, their are challenges sometimes. The most enjoyable part of the work is the relation among the staff, they relate like families and work together as a team to achieve a common goal.
Pros
Team support
driving a Bus
Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Prisem CenterMay 22, 2016
Operated bus on multiple routes and provided excellent customer service. Memorizes routes, transfer points, and fare structures for all lines in assigned. Performs a complete pre-trip/post-trip inspection of bus. Performs safety checks of equipment. Maintains regular and predictable attendance. Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
productive workplace
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDMarch 11, 2016
1-address specific challenges you are experiencing in same my field.
2- understand the type of problem or error that occur in server,database design, computer networks.
3- investigate a topic, examine other approaches, and propose a solution for some technical issue encounter.
4-develop communication skills.
5- observe the real environment of system administration and how we have to set the rules and policies for clients machines.
6-gain a confident of repairing, imaging, and updating software's and operating system. knowledge
Pros
improve and use my knowledge in computer securiy and network
Cons
short period providing from the school to practise and apply such experince.
Decent Workplace
Disk Jockey (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDJanuary 10, 2013
Its usually unorganized but you get use to it after a while. Management and coworkers are not a problem
Pros
nice coworkers and managers
Cons
no real benefits
Offers a great of benefits and cultural diverse place to work
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDMay 27, 2013
Bowie State is a great university. It offer great benefits. It encourages diversity. The university is preparing students for the 21st century.
Pros
Faculty Development
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bowie State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2