Bowling Green State University Employee Reviews

student job
Library assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 9, 2016
I like the Library environment.My college and employers are nice people.However,this experience was the summer job. I like books and student job at the library was enjoyable for me. Student job does not related my study field. I need the job experience to related my major or increase my life experince, I am seeking to get more experience related my previous experiences or courses.
Pros
good culture
Cons
low salary
It is okay
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHNovember 15, 2016
Okay, not bad not good, emphasis on teaching and research can be hard to balance. Standard academia. Expect the average
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
Nice experience
Graduate Assistant, Romance and Classical Studies (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green ohioJanuary 21, 2017
It was to teach a different kind of Spanish class that I taught during the semester. No book, just practical information about travelling, make hotel reservations etc. Learn specifically about the Hispanic culture.
Pros
Small class
Cons
Not enough time
Great community of like-minded individuals
Gallery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJanuary 2, 2017
The co-workers are the best part of the job. It's usually very demanding and time consuming work, but it is worth it. I worked in the office setting on campus and it was always fun and exciting. The hardest part of the job is dealing with parents, but that is to be expected in a University environment.
Enjoyable
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJanuary 2, 2017
I enjoyed my experience as a faculty member at BGSU. My colleagues were generally cordial and fun to chat with. Students skew below average in ability for a university, but there are still good ones to make teaching pleasant.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Distribution of students skews towards lower quality
Great place to gain teaching experience
Teaching Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJanuary 27, 2017
Bowling Green State University allows teaching instructors to find their teaching persona as they gain experience in the classroom.
Pros
Great place to learn how to be a teacher
Cons
Have to balance teaching and studying
Amazing
Graduate assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green OhioNovember 14, 2016
I really enjoyed being an employee at BGSU. I loved working with students in food and nutrition courses. I was faced with a lot of different scenarios with students needing help regarding nutrition and I loved how it challenged me to become more educated myself.
Student Leadership/Professional Development
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHFebruary 7, 2017
Bowling Green is a great training ground for young leaders.
There were many opportunities to study and apply leadership theory.
Awesome Place to Shine
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Office of Academic AssessmentOctober 18, 2016
It is a great place to work and learn. My supervisors are very supportive, approachable and always willing to extend a helping hand. For people who are looking for a great place to study or work, then Bowling Green State University is the place.
overall a great job
Student Recruitment Team (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 4, 2016
Provides great opportunities for students and allows you to gain great leadership skills while also enjoying the job. Teamwork is greatly recommended in all positions to expand your ability to network.
Pros
pay, experience
Cons
time consuming
Enlightening and inspiring environments
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHMay 23, 2016
As a teaching assistant at Bowling Green State University I was able to challenge myself in ways that I never have. I achieved a heightened ability to think quickly and problem solve on a moments notice, as well a interact with students as an educational mentor. I was honored to work with two incredibly skilled, brilliant, and seasoned professors that I owe a great deal of knowledge and inspiration to as well as the experience they gave me by trusting in my abilities to assist in the education of their students.

The hardest part of the job was quickly becoming an expert on a subject through intensive study with only a few days before having to stand in front of thirty students and teach. There is a determination and perseverance that comes from knowing that others are counting on you. This was the most enjoyable and challenging experience I have had the pleasure to experience, and it is one that I will always cherish.
Great Department but not the best University for which to work.
Spring Semester Geology Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 18, 2015
I enjoy working in the School of Earth, Environment, and Sustainability, Geology Department. I work as a part-time adjunct instructor in geology, teaching Intro to Geology, Earth Environments, and Life through Time. My time here has taught me a great deal about creating curricula and working as part of a larger team of educators.
My co-workers are all intelligent, supportive individuals and they are the best part of this position. I quite enjoy interacting with my students and cohorts.The schedule is reasonably fast paced when school is in session and I interact on a daily basis with varied members of society.
The greatest detriment to job satisfaction is the lack of adequate compensation for the assumed hours an instructor will work in a give semester. Additionally, there is no healthcare benefits package and instructor hours are kept artificially low to prevent the disbursement of any such benefits and compensation.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Compensation
Great Students
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHFebruary 29, 2016
Student focus is the key here and almost anyone that you meet will agree.

University is striving to improve services and retention of students.

Work days are long, work/life balance is encourage at a few levels of the institution but not others.

Management practices appear biased with favoritism and nepotism more highly valued than job performance or competence.
Pros
student focus
Cons
Dwindling resources
it's an ok place to work but not the best .
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 27, 2016
I am a slow learner but when I do learn something it stays with for for life, I am easy to get along with, I am good at getting my work done in the time frame that is given to me I work well with others , I am always willing to learn new things to strive to be a better person than I am ,I've been working on Nights for the last 5 years love it would try days or any different shift my favorite season of the year is Fall I may be a lil shy at first but can warm up quickly .
Pros
Sick leave and vacation time is adequate .
Cons
seems to be more about the image and the end result than it is about the worker .
Research Assitant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 2, 2016
A typical day as a graduate student is to work in labs and do a lot of research work. ohh and we work more than 60 hours a week. did i mention we dont get paid well enough for this!!
Productive and friendly work environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJuly 13, 2016
My work as a graduate assistant involved a manageable workload and reasonable cooperation and supervision from faculty members. It was a fun and rewarding experience that provided me with funding necessary to cover my living expenses while at graduate school.
Better off finding something off campus
Parking (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHOctober 24, 2012
Student employees are paid terribly. If you work here for over 2 years you wont get a raise above $8 an hour even if you are a good worker. There is absolutly no incentive to do anything but the bare minimum at BGSU.

Unless you find a job that allows you to transfer your skills to the real world you are wasting your time.
Pros
management could care less about anything you do
Cons
low pay, sporadic work schedules
Very professional, nice environment. Great mentors and colleagues.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 1, 2012
Working as a teaching assistant was a good experience, as i learned to better communicate and improved my presentation skills.
My day begins with the equipment set up (projector and computer), then i assist the students on their computers while the instructor teaches.
I learned more about the software because the students had so many questions and sometimes problems I had to fix or undo.
I learned how to manage a class with or without the instructor and ensure everyone was on the same page. This includes the slow and fast learners.
I had the best Boss at work because he was patient with me when i first started and always told me how i needed to improve or when i did something good.
The hardest part of the job for me was the fact that it was repetitive, we taught the same thing four times.
I enjoyed my job most when the semester came to an end and the students who had little or no knowledge of scheduling prior to the class became very good with the software and the art of program management.
Pros
good environment. student discounts on health insurance benefits.
Cons
it was challenging working and going to school at the same time.
Relaxed and easy-going work environment
Information Technology Lab Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 26, 2016
I really enjoyed working this position for the flexibility and access to university resources. It is an excellent position for students who have a lot of homework to complete.
Student at BGSU
Writer (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 13, 2016
My position at the University is just a student. I learned skills I would need in a job setting. I engaged with a variety of people with students and professors from different backgrounds. Although I was just a student, I didn't get paid, but I received valuable skills I can take with me to any career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bowling Green State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3