Bowling Green State University Employee Reviews in United States

a typical life of over the road travel
Student (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 27, 2016
The balance of travel with life and family proved to be extremely difficult. The cons many times outweighed the pros to the point of it being necessary that changes were needed.
Productive workplace, learned many leadership skills.
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OH 43403April 25, 2016
Working for Bowling Green State University allowed me to work with a staff of 22 Resident Advisors and leadership team to create an safe and inclusive environment within the residence hall. Each week, responsibilities included interacting with residents and responding to crisis within residence hall.
Student at BGSU
Writer (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 13, 2016
My position at the University is just a student. I learned skills I would need in a job setting. I engaged with a variety of people with students and professors from different backgrounds. Although I was just a student, I didn't get paid, but I received valuable skills I can take with me to any career.
Great Students
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHFebruary 29, 2016
Student focus is the key here and almost anyone that you meet will agree.

University is striving to improve services and retention of students.

Work days are long, work/life balance is encourage at a few levels of the institution but not others.

Management practices appear biased with favoritism and nepotism more highly valued than job performance or competence.
Pros
student focus
Cons
Dwindling resources
Difficult to separate work and life
Graduate Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJanuary 12, 2016
As a Graduate Teaching Associate for the two years of my Master's program at BGSU, I experienced both the positives and negatives of academic employment. To be sure, my work was far closer to what I'd been envisioning my likely career for some time, namely, my chance to teach writing and literature. However, departmental and university-wide restrictions and regulations regularly throttled my own sense of enjoyment and anticipation, and were often impossible to reconcile with my personal goals as an individual and an instructor. An over-dependency on standardization hampered my ability to instruct students, especially those with reading and writing difficulties, and set back my efforts to creatively inspire my students. The atmosphere that this engendered was one in which the so-called gulf between the humanities and the sciences (or the more aggressively business-associated areas of study) became very difficult to bridge, as the content I was forced to teach, or the manner in which I was forced to teach it, only enforced stereotypes and false assumptions about my field(s).

Nonetheless, I greatly enjoyed the companionship and professional camaraderie of other instructors in my department, both those who were my peers in the graduate programs as well as the assistant and full professors who already held advanced degrees. This, too, occasionally backfired, as teaching,grading,and all of its associated stresses and paperwork often intruded on one's personal life, with little distinction at times between the classroom/office and one's home.
Pros
Access to research materials, libraries, etc. as well as professional support systems
Cons
Enormous amount of work, bureaucratic tangles, a sense of futility inherent in the system
A stepping stone for my career
COMPUTER LAB MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Huron, OHJanuary 4, 2016
A steeping stone for my career. This was an opportunity to grow and learn what I could do as a manager and as a person. I worked with students and faculty assisting them with their needs.
Independence
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJanuary 2, 2016
Learned how to balance schedule and prioritize while maintaining daily work load. Developed ability to work without supervision and getting work area prepared for next day and shift.
Wonderful institution
Marketing & Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHDecember 27, 2015
The only problem I encountered was passive/aggressive, dysfunctional management in my department. The academic personnel were supportive and amazing, but are disconnected from university areas.
Pros
flexibility. work/life balance
Cons
poor training and goal expectations
Excellent workplace
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHDecember 12, 2015
Working at Bowling Green State University as a Resident Advisor gave me excellent opportunities to develop professional skills while being flexible with my schedule.
A wonderful environment to learn and practice valuable skills.
Secretarial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huron, OHDecember 7, 2015
A typical day begins with reviewing documentation and entering numbers into work/spreadsheets. Throughout the day I consult with students, faculty, and staff, recognizing their questions or concerns. Tuesdays and Thursdays I facilitate a study group for a course on campus. I regularly correspond within and outside of the office via email.
Working in this office has helped me refine my skills in working with people. I also understand the office setting and I have professional language skills and abilities that I did not possess prior to my start in June 2013.
My co-workers are unique. The office has a diverse group of administration, faculty, staff, and student-employees making for a more enjoyable work day. My co-workers and I work hard to communicate well with one-another, which helps us to deliver better services to our students.
The hardest part of the job is handling conflicts. Students often have a great deal of stress and even the smallest bump in the road can become a crisis situation. Although I have an effective method for intervening in these situations, you can't always tell students exactly what they want to hear. I will usually explain the process of whatever it is they're trying to work through and ask if they have any questions.
The most enjoyable aspect of this position is watching the growth process for students. College is a period of time in which people undergo extensive progress as professionals and hopefully as independent people as well. Having the opportunity to witness a student who struggles with certain concepts overcome is
  more... a privilege.  less
Pros
Schedule Flexibility
Cons
Low Wages

Want to know more about Bowling Green State University?

Ask a question
pays better than most universities
Graduate Teaching Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHNovember 29, 2015
Pays grad students better than most universities, but those policies are quickly changing. Right now you can live without going into debt off a student stipend in Bowling Green, but it won't be possible in 2-4 years.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Director of Project Search (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHNovember 19, 2015
-Advising, mentoring, instructing, encouraging undergraduate, graduate, first generation, and international students.
-Collaborating with alumni, staff and faculty who were also student -centered
-Enjoying the pleasant campus environment
-Attending homecoming events
-Opportunities to travel abroad to accomplish University goals
A small univercity in a small town
Post-Doctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHNovember 11, 2015
During my 1-year stay in Bowling Green, I always enjoyed calm atmosphere, short commute distances and nice people of the small town. However the BGSU is not very prestigious, so it was used as a starting point.
Helping students understand the basics of accounting.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHOctober 30, 2015
Overall good place, with the possibility to help others who are in need of assistance when it comes to the basics of accounting.
Productive and challenging work environment
Graduate assistant Finance Department (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHOctober 21, 2015
The work as assistant of the chairman of the department of finance is flexible and challenging. It is required a deep understanding of financial markets and investment analysis in order to be able to correct assignments and participate in the department researches.
The dynamic of your work will require to be always willing to asume responsibilities like teaching or tutoring other students when the professors cannot assist to classes due to seminars or briefings.
Pros
Dynamic, fun, challenging
Cons
Seasonality of work volume, require a lot of learning by doing
Graduate Teaching Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green OhioOctober 16, 2015
Teachers and students enjoy a collegial atmosphere. Faculty makes use of innovative teaching and learning technologies.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Too much snow
Research Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowilng Green, OHOctober 6, 2015
Had the opportunity to learn a lot from the professor who was my supervisor, while still being able to contribute to helping with research.
Good place to live
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Instructor) (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHAugust 11, 2015
I like this place, it is beautiful and peaceful. And it is fun to work with other students and teaching assistant. I thought it is hard to work and study at the same time, but they did a great job help us balance between these two.
Sell 50/50 tickets during athletic events
Athletic Department Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJuly 21, 2015
Sell 50/50 tickets during various athletic events. Interact with fans, parents, and athletic staff. Use electronic ticketing equipment.
Great Department but not the best University for which to work.
Spring Semester Geology Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 18, 2015
I enjoy working in the School of Earth, Environment, and Sustainability, Geology Department. I work as a part-time adjunct instructor in geology, teaching Intro to Geology, Earth Environments, and Life through Time. My time here has taught me a great deal about creating curricula and working as part of a larger team of educators.
My co-workers are all intelligent, supportive individuals and they are the best part of this position. I quite enjoy interacting with my students and cohorts.The schedule is reasonably fast paced when school is in session and I interact on a daily basis with varied members of society.
The greatest detriment to job satisfaction is the lack of adequate compensation for the assumed hours an instructor will work in a give semester. Additionally, there is no healthcare benefits package and instructor hours are kept artificially low to prevent the disbursement of any such benefits and compensation.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Compensation

4.3