Bowling Green State University Employee Reviews

Great Students
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHFebruary 29, 2016
Student focus is the key here and almost anyone that you meet will agree.

University is striving to improve services and retention of students.

Work days are long, work/life balance is encourage at a few levels of the institution but not others.

Management practices appear biased with favoritism and nepotism more highly valued than job performance or competence.
Pros
student focus
Cons
Dwindling resources
Enlightening and inspiring environments
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHMay 23, 2016
As a teaching assistant at Bowling Green State University I was able to challenge myself in ways that I never have. I achieved a heightened ability to think quickly and problem solve on a moments notice, as well a interact with students as an educational mentor. I was honored to work with two incredibly skilled, brilliant, and seasoned professors that I owe a great deal of knowledge and inspiration to as well as the experience they gave me by trusting in my abilities to assist in the education of their students.

The hardest part of the job was quickly becoming an expert on a subject through intensive study with only a few days before having to stand in front of thirty students and teach. There is a determination and perseverance that comes from knowing that others are counting on you. This was the most enjoyable and challenging experience I have had the pleasure to experience, and it is one that I will always cherish.
Wonderful institution
Marketing & Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHDecember 27, 2015
The only problem I encountered was passive/aggressive, dysfunctional management in my department. The academic personnel were supportive and amazing, but are disconnected from university areas.
Pros
flexibility. work/life balance
Cons
poor training and goal expectations
it's an ok place to work but not the best .
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 27, 2016
I am a slow learner but when I do learn something it stays with for for life, I am easy to get along with, I am good at getting my work done in the time frame that is given to me I work well with others , I am always willing to learn new things to strive to be a better person than I am ,I've been working on Nights for the last 5 years love it would try days or any different shift my favorite season of the year is Fall I may be a lil shy at first but can warm up quickly .
Pros
Sick leave and vacation time is adequate .
Cons
seems to be more about the image and the end result than it is about the worker .
student job
Library assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 9, 2016
I like the Library environment.My college and employers are nice people.However,this experience was the summer job. I like books and student job at the library was enjoyable for me. Student job does not related my study field. I need the job experience to related my major or increase my life experince, I am seeking to get more experience related my previous experiences or courses.
Pros
good culture
Cons
low salary
Productive and friendly work environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJuly 13, 2016
My work as a graduate assistant involved a manageable workload and reasonable cooperation and supervision from faculty members. It was a fun and rewarding experience that provided me with funding necessary to cover my living expenses while at graduate school.
overall a great job
Student Recruitment Team (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 4, 2016
Provides great opportunities for students and allows you to gain great leadership skills while also enjoying the job. Teamwork is greatly recommended in all positions to expand your ability to network.
Pros
pay, experience
Cons
time consuming
Productive and fun place to work
Student Athletic Services Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 9, 2016
Because this private school is so small expect to be apart of a closely knitted team that works together to complete various tasks.

My co-workers were very welcoming and willingly helped me learn more about athletics in a high school setting.
Productive workplace, learned many leadership skills.
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OH 43403April 25, 2016
Working for Bowling Green State University allowed me to work with a staff of 22 Resident Advisors and leadership team to create an safe and inclusive environment within the residence hall. Each week, responsibilities included interacting with residents and responding to crisis within residence hall.
Relaxed and easy-going work environment
Information Technology Lab Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 26, 2016
I really enjoyed working this position for the flexibility and access to university resources. It is an excellent position for students who have a lot of homework to complete.
Research Assitant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 2, 2016
A typical day as a graduate student is to work in labs and do a lot of research work. ohh and we work more than 60 hours a week. did i mention we dont get paid well enough for this!!
Student at BGSU
Writer (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 13, 2016
My position at the University is just a student. I learned skills I would need in a job setting. I engaged with a variety of people with students and professors from different backgrounds. Although I was just a student, I didn't get paid, but I received valuable skills I can take with me to any career.
A stepping stone for my career
COMPUTER LAB MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Huron, OHJanuary 4, 2016
A steeping stone for my career. This was an opportunity to grow and learn what I could do as a manager and as a person. I worked with students and faculty assisting them with their needs.
a typical life of over the road travel
Student (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 27, 2016
The balance of travel with life and family proved to be extremely difficult. The cons many times outweighed the pros to the point of it being necessary that changes were needed.
Difficult to separate work and life
Graduate Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJanuary 12, 2016
As a Graduate Teaching Associate for the two years of my Master's program at BGSU, I experienced both the positives and negatives of academic employment. To be sure, my work was far closer to what I'd been envisioning my likely career for some time, namely, my chance to teach writing and literature. However, departmental and university-wide restrictions and regulations regularly throttled my own sense of enjoyment and anticipation, and were often impossible to reconcile with my personal goals as an individual and an instructor. An over-dependency on standardization hampered my ability to instruct students, especially those with reading and writing difficulties, and set back my efforts to creatively inspire my students. The atmosphere that this engendered was one in which the so-called gulf between the humanities and the sciences (or the more aggressively business-associated areas of study) became very difficult to bridge, as the content I was forced to teach, or the manner in which I was forced to teach it, only enforced stereotypes and false assumptions about my field(s).

Nonetheless, I greatly enjoyed the companionship and professional camaraderie of other instructors in my department, both those who were my peers in the graduate programs as well as the assistant and full professors who already held advanced degrees. This, too, occasionally backfired, as teaching,grading,and all of its associated stresses and paperwork often intruded on one's personal life, with little distinction at times between the classroom/office and one's home.
Pros
Access to research materials, libraries, etc. as well as professional support systems
Cons
Enormous amount of work, bureaucratic tangles, a sense of futility inherent in the system
Productive and challenging work environment
Graduate assistant Finance Department (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHOctober 21, 2015
The work as assistant of the chairman of the department of finance is flexible and challenging. It is required a deep understanding of financial markets and investment analysis in order to be able to correct assignments and participate in the department researches.
The dynamic of your work will require to be always willing to asume responsibilities like teaching or tutoring other students when the professors cannot assist to classes due to seminars or briefings.
Pros
Dynamic, fun, challenging
Cons
Seasonality of work volume, require a lot of learning by doing
Better off finding something off campus
Parking (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHOctober 24, 2012
Student employees are paid terribly. If you work here for over 2 years you wont get a raise above $8 an hour even if you are a good worker. There is absolutly no incentive to do anything but the bare minimum at BGSU.

Unless you find a job that allows you to transfer your skills to the real world you are wasting your time.
Pros
management could care less about anything you do
Cons
low pay, sporadic work schedules
Great Department but not the best University for which to work.
Spring Semester Geology Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 18, 2015
I enjoy working in the School of Earth, Environment, and Sustainability, Geology Department. I work as a part-time adjunct instructor in geology, teaching Intro to Geology, Earth Environments, and Life through Time. My time here has taught me a great deal about creating curricula and working as part of a larger team of educators.
My co-workers are all intelligent, supportive individuals and they are the best part of this position. I quite enjoy interacting with my students and cohorts.The schedule is reasonably fast paced when school is in session and I interact on a daily basis with varied members of society.
The greatest detriment to job satisfaction is the lack of adequate compensation for the assumed hours an instructor will work in a give semester. Additionally, there is no healthcare benefits package and instructor hours are kept artificially low to prevent the disbursement of any such benefits and compensation.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Compensation
A wonderful environment to learn and practice valuable skills.
Secretarial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huron, OHDecember 7, 2015
A typical day begins with reviewing documentation and entering numbers into work/spreadsheets. Throughout the day I consult with students, faculty, and staff, recognizing their questions or concerns. Tuesdays and Thursdays I facilitate a study group for a course on campus. I regularly correspond within and outside of the office via email.
Working in this office has helped me refine my skills in working with people. I also understand the office setting and I have professional language skills and abilities that I did not possess prior to my start in June 2013.
My co-workers are unique. The office has a diverse group of administration, faculty, staff, and student-employees making for a more enjoyable work day. My co-workers and I work hard to communicate well with one-another, which helps us to deliver better services to our students.
The hardest part of the job is handling conflicts. Students often have a great deal of stress and even the smallest bump in the road can become a crisis situation. Although I have an effective method for intervening in these situations, you can't always tell students exactly what they want to hear. I will usually explain the process of whatever it is they're trying to work through and ask if they have any questions.
The most enjoyable aspect of this position is watching the growth process for students. College is a period of time in which people undergo extensive progress as professionals and hopefully as independent people as well. Having the opportunity to witness a student who struggles with certain concepts overcome is
  more... a privilege.  less
Pros
Schedule Flexibility
Cons
Low Wages
The most enjoyable part of the job
Director of Project Search (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHNovember 19, 2015
-Advising, mentoring, instructing, encouraging undergraduate, graduate, first generation, and international students.
-Collaborating with alumni, staff and faculty who were also student -centered
-Enjoying the pleasant campus environment
-Attending homecoming events
-Opportunities to travel abroad to accomplish University goals

4.3