Bowling Green State University Employee Reviews

It is okay
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHNovember 15, 2016
Okay, not bad not good, emphasis on teaching and research can be hard to balance. Standard academia. Expect the average
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
Amazing
Graduate assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green OhioNovember 14, 2016
I really enjoyed being an employee at BGSU. I loved working with students in food and nutrition courses. I was faced with a lot of different scenarios with students needing help regarding nutrition and I loved how it challenged me to become more educated myself.
Awesome Place to Shine
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Office of Academic AssessmentOctober 18, 2016
It is a great place to work and learn. My supervisors are very supportive, approachable and always willing to extend a helping hand. For people who are looking for a great place to study or work, then Bowling Green State University is the place.
student job
Library assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 9, 2016
I like the Library environment.My college and employers are nice people.However,this experience was the summer job. I like books and student job at the library was enjoyable for me. Student job does not related my study field. I need the job experience to related my major or increase my life experince, I am seeking to get more experience related my previous experiences or courses.
Pros
good culture
Cons
low salary
overall a great job
Student Recruitment Team (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 4, 2016
Provides great opportunities for students and allows you to gain great leadership skills while also enjoying the job. Teamwork is greatly recommended in all positions to expand your ability to network.
Pros
pay, experience
Cons
time consuming
Research Assitant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 2, 2016
A typical day as a graduate student is to work in labs and do a lot of research work. ohh and we work more than 60 hours a week. did i mention we dont get paid well enough for this!!
Productive and friendly work environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJuly 13, 2016
My work as a graduate assistant involved a manageable workload and reasonable cooperation and supervision from faculty members. It was a fun and rewarding experience that provided me with funding necessary to cover my living expenses while at graduate school.
Relaxed and easy-going work environment
Information Technology Lab Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 26, 2016
I really enjoyed working this position for the flexibility and access to university resources. It is an excellent position for students who have a lot of homework to complete.
Productive and fun place to work
Student Athletic Services Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 9, 2016
Because this private school is so small expect to be apart of a closely knitted team that works together to complete various tasks.

My co-workers were very welcoming and willingly helped me learn more about athletics in a high school setting.
Enlightening and inspiring environments
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHMay 23, 2016
As a teaching assistant at Bowling Green State University I was able to challenge myself in ways that I never have. I achieved a heightened ability to think quickly and problem solve on a moments notice, as well a interact with students as an educational mentor. I was honored to work with two incredibly skilled, brilliant, and seasoned professors that I owe a great deal of knowledge and inspiration to as well as the experience they gave me by trusting in my abilities to assist in the education of their students.

The hardest part of the job was quickly becoming an expert on a subject through intensive study with only a few days before having to stand in front of thirty students and teach. There is a determination and perseverance that comes from knowing that others are counting on you. This was the most enjoyable and challenging experience I have had the pleasure to experience, and it is one that I will always cherish.
a typical life of over the road travel
Student (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 27, 2016
The balance of travel with life and family proved to be extremely difficult. The cons many times outweighed the pros to the point of it being necessary that changes were needed.
it's an ok place to work but not the best .
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 27, 2016
I am a slow learner but when I do learn something it stays with for for life, I am easy to get along with, I am good at getting my work done in the time frame that is given to me I work well with others , I am always willing to learn new things to strive to be a better person than I am ,I've been working on Nights for the last 5 years love it would try days or any different shift my favorite season of the year is Fall I may be a lil shy at first but can warm up quickly .
Pros
Sick leave and vacation time is adequate .
Cons
seems to be more about the image and the end result than it is about the worker .
Productive workplace, learned many leadership skills.
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OH 43403April 25, 2016
Working for Bowling Green State University allowed me to work with a staff of 22 Resident Advisors and leadership team to create an safe and inclusive environment within the residence hall. Each week, responsibilities included interacting with residents and responding to crisis within residence hall.
Student at BGSU
Writer (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 13, 2016
My position at the University is just a student. I learned skills I would need in a job setting. I engaged with a variety of people with students and professors from different backgrounds. Although I was just a student, I didn't get paid, but I received valuable skills I can take with me to any career.
Great Students
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHFebruary 29, 2016
Student focus is the key here and almost anyone that you meet will agree.

University is striving to improve services and retention of students.

Work days are long, work/life balance is encourage at a few levels of the institution but not others.

Management practices appear biased with favoritism and nepotism more highly valued than job performance or competence.
Pros
student focus
Cons
Dwindling resources
Difficult to separate work and life
Graduate Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJanuary 12, 2016
As a Graduate Teaching Associate for the two years of my Master's program at BGSU, I experienced both the positives and negatives of academic employment. To be sure, my work was far closer to what I'd been envisioning my likely career for some time, namely, my chance to teach writing and literature. However, departmental and university-wide restrictions and regulations regularly throttled my own sense of enjoyment and anticipation, and were often impossible to reconcile with my personal goals as an individual and an instructor. An over-dependency on standardization hampered my ability to instruct students, especially those with reading and writing difficulties, and set back my efforts to creatively inspire my students. The atmosphere that this engendered was one in which the so-called gulf between the humanities and the sciences (or the more aggressively business-associated areas of study) became very difficult to bridge, as the content I was forced to teach, or the manner in which I was forced to teach it, only enforced stereotypes and false assumptions about my field(s).

Nonetheless, I greatly enjoyed the companionship and professional camaraderie of other instructors in my department, both those who were my peers in the graduate programs as well as the assistant and full professors who already held advanced degrees. This, too, occasionally backfired, as teaching,grading,and all of its associated stresses and paperwork often intruded on one's personal life, with little distinction at times between the classroom/office and one's home.
Pros
Access to research materials, libraries, etc. as well as professional support systems
Cons
Enormous amount of work, bureaucratic tangles, a sense of futility inherent in the system
A stepping stone for my career
COMPUTER LAB MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Huron, OHJanuary 4, 2016
A steeping stone for my career. This was an opportunity to grow and learn what I could do as a manager and as a person. I worked with students and faculty assisting them with their needs.
Independence
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJanuary 2, 2016
Learned how to balance schedule and prioritize while maintaining daily work load. Developed ability to work without supervision and getting work area prepared for next day and shift.
Wonderful institution
Marketing & Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHDecember 27, 2015
The only problem I encountered was passive/aggressive, dysfunctional management in my department. The academic personnel were supportive and amazing, but are disconnected from university areas.
Pros
flexibility. work/life balance
Cons
poor training and goal expectations
Excellent workplace
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHDecember 12, 2015
Working at Bowling Green State University as a Resident Advisor gave me excellent opportunities to develop professional skills while being flexible with my schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bowling Green State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3