Bowling Green State University Employee Reviews

ITS Application Director
ITS, Director of Enterprise Applications (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OhioNovember 11, 2014
Responsible for directing the IT staff in the support, maintenance, enhancement and implementation of all enterprise applications at BGSU (Staff of 38)
• Collaborates with the VPs and Directors of all primary business offices to understand and evaluate all University priorities and the university strategic plan as they relate to IT initiatives.
• Created the IT Enterprise Application strategic planning including determining IT project priorities based on the university strategic plan.
• Authored, promoted and gained approval for a $1.5 million program to incorporate needed application upgrades but also including an initiative to re-engineer business process to provide business automation to the university (turn paper process into automated processes).
• Established communication standards and formats that are utilized to share project information with many different university audiences from the divisional VPs to the general University community.
• Manages the IT project pipe line by prioritizing projects, establishing timelines, determining resource needs and working with university executives to gain budget and priority approval and to ensure the delivery of projects on time and within budget.
• Responsible for the technology direction and application road map for the following: analytical reporting / data warehouse, ERP applications (PeopleSoft CSS/HCM/FMS), LMS, OnBase, SharePoint, CMS, web development (java) & academic applications.
• Built application road maps for all Enterprise Applications which include planning for application upgrades, infrastructure needs, and evaluating
  more... onsite vs. cloud presence.
• Manages a team of 5 managers and provide an environment in which I mentor the management team to move up to the next level by encouraging professional development and technical training.
• Participating in the CIO leadership program provided by the CIO magazine.
• Monitors and maintains the IT budget for application services.
• Established solid application change control procedures to ensure the stability of the Enterprise Applications.
• Provides excellent customer service for problem and incident management utilizing an ITIL framework.
• Implemented best practices for application development processes utilizing an Agile SDLC approach and a lean project management structure.
• Oversight for all IT application projects to ensure proper scope, timelines and resources are available to deliver a quality product.
• Participates in the evaluations of any new software products, review RFPs and jointly works with the purchasing department to negotiate final contract.
• Promotes a positive work environment by supporting team building initiatives through-out the year.
• In Fiscal Year 2013, the application development team delivered 22 major projects.
• Responsible for projects ranging in cost from $200,000 to $5 Million consisting of outside resources.
• Projects completed: established a data ware house approach utilizing: oracle database, database ETL, OBIEE reporting toolset and star schema data structures, completed 2 People Tool upgrades, implementation of adobe AEM as the selected CMS, established a 4 year application road map for the ERP applications, conducted an RFP to select as an implementation partner to execute on the ERP road map, created a program with 4 project work streams to evaluate all business processes and implement automated solutions and conducting an RFP to select an enterprise CRM application.
Pros
tuition fee waiver and great people
Cons
i have been unable to sell my home in wilmington, ohio - i am commuting.
A wonderful environment to learn and practice valuable skills.
Secretarial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huron, OHDecember 7, 2015
A typical day begins with reviewing documentation and entering numbers into work/spreadsheets. Throughout the day I consult with students, faculty, and staff, recognizing their questions or concerns. Tuesdays and Thursdays I facilitate a study group for a course on campus. I regularly correspond within and outside of the office via email.
Working in this office has helped me refine my skills in working with people. I also understand the office setting and I have professional language skills and abilities that I did not possess prior to my start in June 2013.
My co-workers are unique. The office has a diverse group of administration, faculty, staff, and student-employees making for a more enjoyable work day. My co-workers and I work hard to communicate well with one-another, which helps us to deliver better services to our students.
The hardest part of the job is handling conflicts. Students often have a great deal of stress and even the smallest bump in the road can become a crisis situation. Although I have an effective method for intervening in these situations, you can't always tell students exactly what they want to hear. I will usually explain the process of whatever it is they're trying to work through and ask if they have any questions.
The most enjoyable aspect of this position is watching the growth process for students. College is a period of time in which people undergo extensive progress as professionals and hopefully as independent people as well. Having the opportunity to witness a student who struggles with certain concepts overcome is
  more... a privilege.  less
Pros
Schedule Flexibility
Cons
Low Wages
Difficult to separate work and life
Graduate Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJanuary 12, 2016
As a Graduate Teaching Associate for the two years of my Master's program at BGSU, I experienced both the positives and negatives of academic employment. To be sure, my work was far closer to what I'd been envisioning my likely career for some time, namely, my chance to teach writing and literature. However, departmental and university-wide restrictions and regulations regularly throttled my own sense of enjoyment and anticipation, and were often impossible to reconcile with my personal goals as an individual and an instructor. An over-dependency on standardization hampered my ability to instruct students, especially those with reading and writing difficulties, and set back my efforts to creatively inspire my students. The atmosphere that this engendered was one in which the so-called gulf between the humanities and the sciences (or the more aggressively business-associated areas of study) became very difficult to bridge, as the content I was forced to teach, or the manner in which I was forced to teach it, only enforced stereotypes and false assumptions about my field(s).

Nonetheless, I greatly enjoyed the companionship and professional camaraderie of other instructors in my department, both those who were my peers in the graduate programs as well as the assistant and full professors who already held advanced degrees. This, too, occasionally backfired, as teaching,grading,and all of its associated stresses and paperwork often intruded on one's personal life, with little distinction at times between the classroom/office and one's home.
Pros
Access to research materials, libraries, etc. as well as professional support systems
Cons
Enormous amount of work, bureaucratic tangles, a sense of futility inherent in the system
Great place, great people, sometimes gross
BGSU Campus Operations Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Residence Halls, Bowling Green, OHJuly 31, 2013
I worked for Campus Operations for two years, including two summers. I was on first shift, 7:30-4, cleaning the residence halls. During the summer, we would clean thorough clean the entire dorm; rooms, hallways, bathrooms, lounges, stairs, elevators, if you can think of it, we cleaned it. We would spend 5-10 days at each building then bounce around. So, there is not a residence building on campus I have not been in, aside from Centennial and Falcon Heights, which are not actually owned by BGSU. They outsource their custodial staff there.

More, during the school year, the work is great. You give your supervisor your class schedule and just come in whenever! You mostly do main areas, and things the full-time staff is unable to get it. You meet great coworkers with this job, and it really had a family feel. I created great relationships with all my coworkers and supervisors through Campus Operations. Each semester, you get reviewed, and if positive, get a .25 cent raise. So, if you start as a Freshman, you could be making good money by the time you're a Senior! You cannot keep this job after graduation, which is the only reason I am currently not employed with them. Great job, sometimes really gross (as it is a custodial positon).
Pros
consistent breaks, always leave on time, great coworkers, great hours, very flexible
Cons
residents in the dorms, vomit, used condoms, fecal matter, urine, cleaning toilets, trash, gross things
Very professional, nice environment. Great mentors and colleagues.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 1, 2012
Working as a teaching assistant was a good experience, as i learned to better communicate and improved my presentation skills.
My day begins with the equipment set up (projector and computer), then i assist the students on their computers while the instructor teaches.
I learned more about the software because the students had so many questions and sometimes problems I had to fix or undo.
I learned how to manage a class with or without the instructor and ensure everyone was on the same page. This includes the slow and fast learners.
I had the best Boss at work because he was patient with me when i first started and always told me how i needed to improve or when i did something good.
The hardest part of the job for me was the fact that it was repetitive, we taught the same thing four times.
I enjoyed my job most when the semester came to an end and the students who had little or no knowledge of scheduling prior to the class became very good with the software and the art of program management.
Pros
good environment. student discounts on health insurance benefits.
Cons
it was challenging working and going to school at the same time.
Great Department but not the best University for which to work.
Spring Semester Geology Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJune 18, 2015
I enjoy working in the School of Earth, Environment, and Sustainability, Geology Department. I work as a part-time adjunct instructor in geology, teaching Intro to Geology, Earth Environments, and Life through Time. My time here has taught me a great deal about creating curricula and working as part of a larger team of educators.
My co-workers are all intelligent, supportive individuals and they are the best part of this position. I quite enjoy interacting with my students and cohorts.The schedule is reasonably fast paced when school is in session and I interact on a daily basis with varied members of society.
The greatest detriment to job satisfaction is the lack of adequate compensation for the assumed hours an instructor will work in a give semester. Additionally, there is no healthcare benefits package and instructor hours are kept artificially low to prevent the disbursement of any such benefits and compensation.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Compensation
Great Campus, Rough Transition
History Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 17, 2013
As a graduate assistant at BGSU, I have been fortunate to work closely with professors who are interested in my success as a scholar. The time that they put into student success reflects their commitment to their careers as educators.
The workload reflects the variety of skills that students are expected to acquire in their time at the university, and are refined throughout the graduate career. Although at first the expectations can seem intimidating, the experience is well worth the effort. I have gained valuable experience as an instructor and a research assistant in my time at Bowling Green.
The campus is currently overhauling some of its faculty and graduate student policies (2013), causing abnormal stress for some professors and students, but after necessary changes are made, I expect that the campus environment will become less stressful.
Very productive workplace serving students and faculty
Digital Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJuly 15, 2012
-A typical day at work is helping students and assisting co-workers with difficult problems and situations.

-I learned how to deal with strict deadline projects from students and faculty that needed help.

-The management of our team was based upon each individuals skill setting of handling different projects for students and faculty.

-The hardest part of the job was staying consistent and working as a team.

-The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others in need, accomplishing their goals, and knowing the work was handled properly.
Pros
lunch time
Cons
random times of dealing with large amounts of people who need help
An honor to hold this assistantship
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHAugust 10, 2013
Worked for a two professors and for the secretary to the head of the School of HMSL. When I worked for the professors I compiled research information and compiled data into spreadsheets, as well as grade papers and assist in classroom activities. When I worked in the administrative office I assisted the secretary with her work and was given tasks directly from the director. It was a great job opportunity where I was able to learn a variety of office and clerical skills.
Pros
flexible hours and worked with many pleasant people
Cons
had many supervisors that i had to make sure i was delegating my time equally
Fun yet high paced environment
Union Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHMarch 19, 2013
Working alongside university students and full time staff in a professional/academic setting to ensure customer satisfaction in conferences and event production. This job demands a diverse set of attributes from an individual. For example in a typical day you may build a stage for a visiting congressman, design the lighting for a fashion show, or trouble shoot computer problems during a student organization meeting.
Pros
duties can differ day to day
Cons
some very late nights, high turnover due to student-based staff
College institution
Student Intern for Environmental Sustainability (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHApril 22, 2012
I worked for three (3) different environmental internships, that were focused mostly on Sustainability. During these internships I have become a strong leader and was lucky enough to share my passion for the environment with people from the community and campus. During my Green Tailgating internship I would lead,teach and direct dozens of people, mostly students but some were community members, on how to properly implement my plans for sustainability of each home football game at Bowling Green State University.
Pros
working with the public and student body
Cons
no pay and long hours
Easy Going, But Efficient Workplace
Clerical Assistant, Office of Field Experiences (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJuly 25, 2013
There was very little stress when completing an assignment or task because of the lax work environment, and because of the lax work environment people actually finished their work way before the deadlines.

I learned how to deal with understanding questions from students and professors over the phone, in person, and through e-mail. I also learned how to understand Apple computers and their functions. I helped with the marketing department by creating attractive presentations through Powerpoint and other media.
Better off finding something off campus
Parking (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHOctober 24, 2012
Student employees are paid terribly. If you work here for over 2 years you wont get a raise above $8 an hour even if you are a good worker. There is absolutly no incentive to do anything but the bare minimum at BGSU.

Unless you find a job that allows you to transfer your skills to the real world you are wasting your time.
Pros
management could care less about anything you do
Cons
low pay, sporadic work schedules
Enjoyable and beneficial workplace environment
Intramurals Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green State University, OhioApril 9, 2015
Working for intramural sports is always a good time. My fellow employees make it easy to go to work at 7pm and stay until about midnight each night. It can be difficult when we have to deal with very overly competitive participants but that also just makes things more interesting and challenging for us. It keeps us on our feet and ready for whatever comes next.
Easy to juggle with school.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJanuary 15, 2014
I worked as a teacher's assistant. I graded papers, overtook exam reviews and ran classes when the professor was out of town. I enjoyed the office I worked for, the professor I worked under and the colleagues in the Department of Geography. The job security is based on downsizing and the department budget, which is shaky at best. Great for a college student, exclusive to them, usually.
Pros
got to teach, got paid to do it, and loved what i taught
Cons
close-minded methods, lack of job security
Productive and challenging work environment
Graduate assistant Finance Department (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHOctober 21, 2015
The work as assistant of the chairman of the department of finance is flexible and challenging. It is required a deep understanding of financial markets and investment analysis in order to be able to correct assignments and participate in the department researches.
The dynamic of your work will require to be always willing to asume responsibilities like teaching or tutoring other students when the professors cannot assist to classes due to seminars or briefings.
Pros
Dynamic, fun, challenging
Cons
Seasonality of work volume, require a lot of learning by doing
Excellent opportunity to learn diverse, industry specific skills.
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHDecember 7, 2012
Responsible for all areas (excluding textbooks and marketing) within the stores;financial operations, analysis, student employment, human resources customer service, accounting, cash office, purchasing, operational analysis, benchmarking, strategic planning and goal setting, safety and loss prevention, payroll administration, coordinating hiring, succession planning, organizational development and employee training & development, fiscal oversight, bookstore operations management, financial analysis and budget development and administration.
Pros
rapidly and constantly changing environment.
Cons
changing textbook industry.
Intermittant Status
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHJuly 14, 2012
I was only an intermittant employee which only allowed for 1000 hours per year. The position that I held if it would have been opened up to classified paid $6.00 more per hour and would have been 40 hours per week. I did payables, vendor contacts, and filing each day. Enjoyed being a part of the University but could not afford to stay there at the pay rate and no benefits.
Pros
university
Cons
no benefits, low pay rate
It is a great University
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHSeptember 22, 2013
I would like to go back and teach /lecture there.
Typical day would be busy but enjoyable
management skills, Teaching/lecturing skills
Friendly co workers
I didn't find the hardest part of the job, unless when you have a heavy load of teaching.

The most enjoyable part is staff development/attending conferences etc.
Pros
great environment, great standards, one of the large universities
Cons
nil
Great people to work with but poorly located
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHDecember 26, 2013
I worked there as a master's student, and was paid for research and teaching. I have met a lot of nice people in the Geology department. I only need to teach 2 class sessions a week, and you could repeatedly teach the class you are most familiar with.
Pros
classes were easy to teach
Cons
bad location, hard for networking

4.3