Boy Scouts of America Employee Reviews

Not Fun
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 23, 2017
they do give a minimal raise every year but then they cut your hours to ensure that you will make less then before.

poor management all around.

the management sets a culture of laziness and cutting corners whenever possible
Pros
employee discount
Cons
management, pay
So much fun but takes hard work
Crew President (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAJune 22, 2017
I have been involved in scouting my whole life. I was in a program called Venturing, which was a co-ed group for older kids in the BSA. It was always fun being outside learning how to be leaders with your friends.
Great Idea awful in application
District Executive (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 22, 2017
Don't work for the Boy Scouts if you expect to make a difference in the lives of children. Your primary responsibility is to fund raise and recruit New Scouts. I Enjoyed working for the Scouts however I'd rather be a volunteer and work directly with the kids
Pros
flexible hours, A difference experience everyday
Cons
advancement opportunities, compensation, Job Security
Leadership and Life skills.
Camp Commissioner (Former Employee) –  Radford, VAJune 22, 2017
The Boy Scouts of America is one of the best, and oldest organizations. It is a good way to learn leadership and life skills. You meet many cool people and get the chance to inspire young men.
Camp, fun and yet exhausting
Area Director (Former Employee) –  Rock Creek, OHJune 22, 2017
Early start to the day to Raise the flags and breakfast. Late nights with fun provided for the scouts on different days.

Management was good, we all worked together and they listened pretty good.

The biggest thing I learned is getting thrust into a topic you know nothing about, especially one that's dangerous could be dangerous for kids if you don't take the care to learn with them.

Metalsmithing was very complicated and controlling 26 boys in the largest of classes with aged 12-18 can be very difficult. I knew nothing about this and had to learn in 1 week how to weld, all on my lonesome.

Enjoyable parts would be the boys enjoying themselves exploring the different aspects of the crafting merit badges.
Strong family environment creating close bonds and bringing fellow counselors together forming lifetime bonds.
Sailing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lakeshore, CAJune 21, 2017
All costs of being at the camp are of course covered due to the fact you are working their. While yes, the cost is taken from your pay, it is not a major deduction. Another pro is you are out in the wilderness for 7 weeks working and growing your knowledge base and expanding our mind. I would with no doubt work at Camp Oljato in the future.
Pros
Amazing scenery and an amazing job opportunity along with a wonderful learning experience.
Cons
short breaks, management at my camp was often very judge-mental and quick to point fingers.
Great organization to
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  NCJune 21, 2017
Volunteer for....paid employees are under paid and highly underappreciated. Paid employees are not compensated well. Environment is safe and friendly but highly goal oriented with little regard to the socio-economics of the area.
Great job for beginners, the only problem is the lack of raises throughout the years
Staff (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 21, 2017
Great job for beginners, you will learn allot of time management skills and other important skills. However, there hasn't been a raise for the past 8 years
Pros
Easy to apply, free room and board
Cons
No pay increases
Fun place to be
Liquor Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 21, 2017
Volunteer when I can. Always willing to help set things up with the Council. Help out at day camps when possible. Get the boys involved in activities.
Bsa
Youth Scout Leader (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJune 20, 2017
I'm Honored to be apart of the BSA community.
BSA has really shifted how I grew up, and made me into someone that i never thought i'd be. I've learned so many skills and earned many merit badges that benefited me for my future.
Working for the Scouts
Chief Operating Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2017
Great organization. The kids are awesome, the adults are a bit challenging. Work/Life Balance is hard as its a lot of nights and weekends and volunteers need service. You must be outgoing and a good fundraiser or you will not survive.
Pros
Great pay, good benefits, flexibility
Cons
Lots of hours, must fundraise
Fun workplace for youth
Patrol Leader (Former Employee) –  Springville, UTJune 16, 2017
I worked at a scout camp as a youth. It was not a job that I could have made a living off of, but the skills and experiences I received from the job are invaluable to me. A typical day was very tiring, and included teaching, entertaining, and assisting children between the ages of 8 and 11. There would be a two hour break in the middle of the day, where lunch was provided, along with two 30 minute breaks for breakfast and dinner. Management was excellent at the camp I worked at, and respected the staff.
Pros
Free meals, leadership skills, excellent coworkers
Cons
short breaks, low pay, little job advancement
Loved the customers and working with the people.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Warren, OH 44481June 15, 2017
Greeted customers, helped them to get everything they needed, listened carefully to their needs to best answer any questions and make their shopping experience the best that it could be filling all their needs and help to suggest items they may need to complement their initial purchase. In between customers completed daily reports and got together any orders received over the internet, completed their order and shipped when requeated. Received truck once a week, checked in shipments and stocked shelves as needed. If not busy would dust, and clean keeping the store in top condition for all customers.
Pros
Loved making sure customers found everything they needed
Cons
store closed
being a boy scout is a must for all boys
youth scout (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 15, 2017
I never worked with the boy scouts of America, I was a youth Scout, and I highly recommend that every boy be a part of the Boy Scouts of America. I taught me lessons that I will never forget. Once I received my Eagle Scout I volunteered as an assistant Scout master, until I went to college.
Pros
great life lessons
Cons
Its a bit time consuming, but what isnt!?
Eagle Scout (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJune 13, 2017
My experience with the boy scouts were beyond what I had expected. There were days that I had to get out of my comfort zone and also go out of my way to help others in their projects
Summer camp staffer
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mt Airy NCJune 13, 2017
Intense and tough 8 weeks. It's nonstop and all day. Management is always hit or miss because it is boy-lead. Definitely will teach you patience. All in all its a lot of fun.
The foundation of my life skills
Elected as Senior patrol leader for two years (Former Employee) –  League City, TXJune 12, 2017
I learned my basic self and life management skills for the BSA. I have a great love of nature and the outdoors that stemmed from the seven years I spent in the BSA.
Pros
I feel like I became a better person as a result
Cons
Lots of bug bites
An Excellent First Job
District Executive (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, GAJune 12, 2017
The role of District Executive (DE) in the Boy Scouts is a fantastic first job out of college for a quick dive into professional team management skills with volunteers, as well as a fantastic later-in-life job for retirement and the like. You must be a fast learner, and the turnover can be high, but with enough interpersonal skill you can do everything that is thrown at you. With proactive communication with the volunteers in your District, you can work together to make for a fantasticScouting Community for the youth that reside there. It can be hard to balance work-life, since the hours of a DE revolve around the hours of the volunteers you serve; this can make for very late nights followed by very early mornings followed by long weekends, especially in fall and parts of summer.
Pros
Excellent benefits, long-time support from volunteers, decent training
Cons
Management can be misguided, bad work-life balance, extremely erratic hours, BSA is all volunteer-based other than you
Fabulous company
Aquatics Director/rock climbing instrutor (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 12, 2017
Company is secure on the enhancement of children and their growth into young productive lives. They teach kids to be confident in their abilities to achieve what they set forth, to overcome fears.
Pros
Enhancing life for both members and employees
Cons
Economy
Wonderful customers and great products.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Warren, OH 44481June 12, 2017
I loved the day to day operations and the customers. It was great to help them fill all their needs. Always something new and exciting and the opportunities were great.
Pros
Great products
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boy Scouts of America. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3