Boy Scouts of America Employee Reviews in United States

Be a Paid Volunteer
Program & Web Administrator (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 22, 2016
It will feel like you eat and breathe Scouting. You will be involved with a group of people who are passionate about what they do and the program being developed, but they are overworked, underpaid, and understaffed. You will always be busy, and a lot of the time, things will be pulled together at the last minute.
Pros
passionate people
Cons
always under staffed
Fun summer job
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2016
easy job for those in high school. always around good company and able to make friends for life from around the pittsburgh area. learned values that most other high school kids haven't learned at that age.
Pros
always busy
Cons
no down time
Great organization to encourage young men to become a leader and build self confidence.
Summer Camp Counselor (6 weeks long) (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 17, 2016
As a member in Scouting I have grown into an able and self confident leader, roll model, and young adult. I have been able to work with many different youth and adults. I also have been able to push my limits and became a leader of 300 plus youth and adults across the district.
Great learning experience
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 11, 2016
ability to learn, grow and advance. Shifts revolved every three months so trying to keep a schedule was difficult in my personal life
Pros
was able to advance
Cons
revolving shifts
An organization with a purpose of focusing on serving the youth in this country,
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 10, 2016
A great place to work. There is much room to grow with this company if you have a desire to help the youth in this country, this would be a great job for you.
High Workflow, low appreciation and compensation
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2016
The BSA has multiple opportunities as a national organization to grow and develop. Unfortunately, a specific culture and generation of volunteers with the decision making power is highly resident to change.

This causes a dead zone in common business practices such as brand management, marketing, development, program content, and quality of service provided.

As a work environment, hours are long, expectations are high and appreciation and compensation are low even for a Non-Profit entity.

I would recommend the BSA profession to a fresh college graduate looking for networking and fundraising experience, but would not recommend they stay for more than five years.
A lot of fun!
Community Service (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, ORAugust 5, 2016
Had a lot of fun with all the people there. They were all really nice and productive. I learned team working skills and how to manage time. The management and the co workers were awesome.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Fantastic outdoor atmosphere and staff lounge
Field Sports Area Director (Current Employee) –  Sylvania, GAAugust 5, 2016
Morning spent teaching scouts merit badges. Afternoon is spent sending kids down the zip-line. Evening is spent with either campfire or activity. I've learned how to interact with people of different personalities and to adapt and get along. Because I usually get along with just about everyone, working with other people isn't very stressful. Sometimes they can get annoying or so, but I know how to deal with it and still make the job fun. Management has greatly improved since my first year, and the scout attendance increases. The hottest part of the job is the weather. It gets pretty hot outside and we're all outside for most of the day, but our boss ensures that we get plenty of water and even treats us to ice pops. What I enjoy about working at summer camp is giving the scouts a positive role model to look up to and knowing that they've had one of the best weeks of their lives.
Pros
Working with other cool people. Playing sports with scouts.
Cons
The heat.
Amazing Atmosphere and Compassionate Staff
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WAAugust 3, 2016
From counting inventory to interacting with customers there is never a dull moment here. There is lots to learn and an amazing place to work.
Summer Camp Only
Program Staff (Former Employee) –  Peninsula, OHAugust 1, 2016
Worked at T21 to help Scouts advance to 1st Class Rank. Made many new friends and learned much about working with others.
Energetic Workplace
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warren, OHAugust 1, 2016
In my opinion, working for the Scouts has put things into perspective for me. I am always working with a positive, driven group of people whose only goal is to make a brighter and better future for the youth in the community.
Pros
Positive co-workers, rewarding work
East Texas Area Council Summer Camp
Shotgun Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJuly 29, 2016
A typical day isn't too bad you work in the Texas summer for basically an entire day.
I learned get some certification of some type that allows to work the more advance merit badges and areas, you will get paid way more if you work in ares that don't require certification.
Management is being replaced after this year's camp season, my
co-workers for the most part worked really hard and did more then their job required them to do.
The hardest part of the job is the heat and the effects come with it.
Pros
Nature, the pool
Cons
Short breaks, below minimum wage pay, the heat
Dynamic job
District Executive (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 18, 2016
Must be dedicated to the cause of serving America's youth in order to enjoy the schedule variation of this job. Must be highly structured and organized, but the ability to learn a variety of tasks is endless and seeing the results of the program is rewarding.
Time Management Skills are Crucial for Success
Field Director (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 15, 2016
There are lots of opportunities to promote if you are willing to relocate every 3 years. Time management skills and volunteer recruitment are necessary to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
rewarding job helping youth
District Executive (Current Employee) –  Hudson Valley NYJuly 15, 2016
This is a great job if your goal in life is to serve others and to help youth. Here you can change a life and set someone on the path of straight and narrow.
Pros
working with youth
Great company, great people
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 8, 2016
Really good company, people are pretty nice and friendly, it feels like a big family. Wish I could work for them again. They treat interns very well
Great Job!
Scout Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 7, 2016
I have been working there for a month. It was a seasonal job. However, it's a great experience for me to teach the scouts on how to do things for the merit badges and other things. Free food! No coffee! But, it's still a great job!
Pros
Free food, great experience
Cons
no coffee
Out of line
Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 21, 2016
I was a customer service rep at the boy scouts. The management was faulty. There was alot of gossip and racism. I was let go because of other employee's that didn't like me complaining to my manager. My manager was great how ever. And the other customer service rep as well. But the majority of staff are racist.
Pros
The other positive Representative
Cons
Racist Staff
Productive Workplace Enviroment
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 16, 2016
There was always something to do there, never a dull day, the day always went by fast. It was productive and interactive with hands on activities. I really enjoyed my first job.
Pros
clean facility
Cons
short breaks
Eagle Scout
Eagle Scout (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 16, 2016
I am an Eagle Scout. I have done volunteer work for the BSA. Overall it is a great organization. I would fully recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Good at developing life skills
Cons
Not for everyone

4.3