Boyd Gaming Corporation

Boyd Gaming Corporation Employee Reviews

Our particular property is awesome
anonymous (Current Employee), Biloxi, MSApril 2, 2015
Pros: room for growth
Cons: adjusting to "corporate" life
Boyd Gaming has a number of properties as you may know. I am fortunate to work at what I consider to be one of the best. I have noticed changes since Boyd bought our property, some good some I'm not sure I am fond of.... but you can't please everyone all of the time. Overall this is a good company to work for I think. I am proud of my particular property and have an immense amount of respect for my Manager and Director. If you are a hard worker that is driven to succeed there is definitely room for growth at this property. The only thing I would say is that I wish the entire company as a whole focused more on property wide promotion of guest service. It should be the at the forefront of the culture. I think that is one of the things I miss most about our property. Guest service is important to Boyd but I just wish it was more apparent to the employees. Team rallies and meetings to motivate our employees to take guest service to the next level.
If you have a family or a life do not apply.
Cashier, hostess, server (Current Employee), Treasure Chest, Kenner LaFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: the view of the lake
Cons: see below
From the management to "free lunch." This place is garbage. The only people that are happy here are the people who opened with the boat. They don't know any better. It's a complete dead end job. They don't work around schedules. You have to literally be dying to get paid time off. The pay itself is horrible. You would think being that this is a casino you'd get paid more. Absolutely not. The benefits are probably as bad as management. Each department is ran by some over weight power hungry slob. I wouldn't recommened this job. Oh and let's not forget their famous attendance point system. Such a joke considering you have to take a shuttle bus to the casino, and the employees driving the bus are in la la land ninety percent of the time. They pass you up. They drive entirely too slow. Since Vincent left this place it's just gone downhill. They valet supervisors are doing taxes in the office while valet drivers are smashing up customer cars. You have dealers who are always on some type of muscle relaxer. Grooming standards here are absurd. I'm surprised this place is still running. Luckily for me I've found a new job using this website here. Good luck to you all, please don't apply here!
Fun Atmosphere with Awesome Perks
Pits (Current Employee), Mulvane Kansas (Kansas Star Casino)January 23, 2015
Pros: fun work environment, positive upbeat people and a great boss
Cons: benefit pricing
I love my job at the Kansas Star! Its not as bad as people make it out to be sometimes, in fact I've been here long enough to see people who didn't like it return because they figured out it wasn't that bad. Sure every company has good and bad things about it. The benefits are a little high but they work and we use them. My managers are awesome. If I need time off they work with me, if I'm sick they call to check on me. We sell fun at the KSC who else gets paid to play card games?!?!? I make awesome money and have a good time doing it. We have an awesome cafeteria, free soda, coffee and tea...free bagels and toast...free salad bar and only 3.00 for a hot lunch...you pay more for McDonald's and this is really good food most of the time! If I ever have problems I know who to ask for help, no one has ever treated me unfairly HR is very prompt and on top of anything I have questions about. My supervisors are always there when I need them. I'm looking forward to many more years at the Star.
Tools and equipment provided make the job easier to complete
IT Finance Coordinator (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great team members that are helpful, friendly. easy to complete assigned tasks with efficient tools and environment.
Cons: micro-management, advancement not made available to current employees
I enjoy working with people and solving the problems that may come up as part of my day. Working with team members at Boyd has taught me so much about Excel, Access and Word. I learned everything with a hands-on approach. I schedule my day by priority and ensure that the most important job is done immediately. If something may come up during the important jobs I will readjust my priorities if needed.
DO NOT APPLY
Office assistant (Current Employee), Kansas Star - Mulvane, KSJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: free salad.... if you like slimy brown lettuce
Cons: every. single. thing.
I currently work at Kansas Star Casino. I am a bright, educated, very hard working person. I am not recognized at all for my work even though my "team" would be a mess if they had to do what I do. My work goes unnoticed unless it's not done so people take me and what I do for granted. I am way under paid, benefits are outrageously expensive, not to mention the coverage is barley considered coverage for the premium price. The management staff is very "clicky" and they don't hold their employees on the same level. If they're friends, it's okay to break the rules with no punishment, but if management does not like you, be ready for unjustifiable write ups that will eventually lead to termination. Employees are treated so poorly by supervisors and managers, it's unreal! In my department all of the supervisors are on at least one type of illegal drug but it's overlooked because the director is too lazy to find better, smarter, more professional staff. He also knows he would have to pay an actual livable wage if he hired good staff but he's a Penny pincher with his staff and pays them the very minimum. And forget annual raises! The maximum raise is 2% but good luck even getting that. Most people get .75-1.15% even if they deserve more because the directors have payroll budget to meet and if they don't, the directors don't get their huge annual bonuses. No one likes to help anyone else.... Not on their team, not in another department, not anywhere. This is a very selfish and poorly run environment to work in. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy! You WILL be treated unfair, be way underpaid, not respected, etc... You name it. Just don't apply!
Diamond jo worth
Security (Current Employee), Diamond jo worthDecember 11, 2014
Working here is not good. Especially security. Get treated not very well and pay is worse. Considered not money makers so get payed very low and looked down upon even though security gets called to help with everything and keeps the casino from getting big fines by going their jobs. They don't tell you in interviews or anywhere how much you'll get paid or the fact they don't have holiday pay.
Boyd is a great company to work for.
IT FIELD SERVICES SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 18, 2014
Began as IT Field Technician II, promoted within 1 year to Senior IT Field Technician the again within 2 years to IT Field Services Supervisor with complete responsibility for management, administration and daily operations for Fremont and Main Street Station, California Club and Coast Hotels and Casinos, as well as Boyd Corporate Headquarter Office. Duties include: System Hardware, Software and Personnel Logistics for Expansion and Upgrade Projections as well as special projects requiring additional components; Installation and Maintenance Contract Estimates; Working with Purchasing Dept. I work with a great IT team. The hardest part of the job I never have enough time. The most enjoyable part is the completion of projects for the shareholders.
Good place to Work.
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 23, 2014
Loved the work. It was fun and the people were great to work with
A excellent employer
WesternEmporium Manager/Slot Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), las vegas, nevadaJune 26, 2014
Pros: excellent career
Cons: constant relocation
I received promotions and eventually became a member of the management team
TERRIBLE PLACE TO BE EMPLOYED!!!!
Casino (Former Employee), Mulvane, KSApril 21, 2014
This place, is by FAR the most god awful place I've ever been employed (yes, even worse than my high school fast food jobs)

I learned absolutely nothing from this place, other than the fact that I refuse to enter another casino for the rest of my human existance. It's a depressing, unmotivating place, that literally sucks you into it's vast amount of negativity, fueled by the "clicky" staff with the mentality of a high school drama fest.

The co-workers were okay, but only in YOUR department.. just don't dare venture to another department, you would be literally stared at like "what are you doing here" type of thing. Most people here lack any sort of social and communication type skill, which you would think would flurish in such an environment.

Management was an absolute joke, they had no supervisory skills, NO communication skills, and were literally puppets with a new set of rules posted every single day. AND if you so happened to not follow the new "rule" of the day, you would be disciplined! In fact, management didn't even truly know the rules considering they changed every day at will..

Honestly, don't work here.. find a REAL job that treats their employees with respect, and dignity that they deserve.. no one deserves to be treated the way the KANSAS STAR CASINO treats their employees.. hopefully management possibly went back to obtain their high school diplomas, or even a G.E.D.? Hope this was helpful!

Cheers:)
Suncoast casino the worst
Cocktail server (Former Employee), Las Vegas, nvApril 4, 2014
Pros: pto for vacation and free lunch.
Cons: bad healthcare benefits.
I worked at the Suncoast for 8 years, in 2006 Boyd gaming owned it and the casino begins to go down, low quality food, no compensing costumers as they get used to with the previous owner, the management it's horrible, my coworkers and I complained about her attitude in HR but they never did nothing, those king of supervisor are the one who pick on you without a reason even if you are a good worker.
It's a lot of favoritism with employees there, no encourage to employees to make a good work day and supervisors with miserable attitude that make you work day a bad day!
Its 2014 not 1954
chef (Former Employee), Michigan City, INMarch 7, 2014
Cons: outdated ideals
I was the most qualified. I was liked by the chefs. I was basically told I had the job then discriminated against because I have a medical marijuana card ;( Their loss... I am creative, hardworking, loyal and great at what I do.
Great people outside of the surveillance department.
Surveillance Agent (Former Employee), Shreveport, LADecember 19, 2013
Pros: human resource staff is great
Cons: too many to list (surveillance department)
I'm going to start this off by saying that the people I came across outside of the surveillance department were great. However, the people who work in the surveillance department in Shreveport often find the need to talk down about other employees who work on the casino floor. If you are a certain race in this department you will have to put up with smart or nasty comments/ insinuations and you will be made to look like a liar (especially if you have an education). My experience here wasn't a pleasant one. Boyd corporation needs to actually make sure the state police is watching the surveillance department as well, because something's that occurred should have raised some red flags in upper management. I could go on, but if your are a minority I wouldn't apply to this department in Shreveport because the employees who have been there a long time still have the mentality that the south shall rise again.
Very depressed workplace
vip rep (Former Employee), robinsonville,msOctober 9, 2013
Pros: free food
Cons: busy very slow
I worked in the marketing dept. Sam's Town will have you doing multiple jobs at a very low pay. Management is horrible. I wouldn't recommend this job to my worse enemy. Not to mention all the hateful and jealous coworkers. You can't advance with this company if you not a certain color.
Excellent Company to work for
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Biloxi, MSSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: meeting people and perks
Cons: slow season
I worked here for several years. I learned a lot and enjoyed my time there.
Their statement is to help to promote within but many of their values not followed
Busperson (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NV.September 13, 2013
Pros: free food and paid lunch hour if working over 6 hrs, otherwise just half hr.
Cons: no breaks after lunch time used, often workload is more than can be handled by 1.
Only applies to the California Hotel & Casino, since there is no culinary union they do with their employees as they please and even the human resources lady on property knows little about their rules and careless for finding out and just says whatever she thinks it is without finding the right info, corporate website says one think she does not care hear or to know about it, managers have their preferred people that do whatever they want and since there is no union again as employee better don't say anything or might get statement advising if it's not ok for you, you can go home, get hire to be on call forever even when they need personnel and rather get more outside to be on call than to give full time jobs, employees is common to see 1-2 years or longer on-call before getting full time jobs, they said that if in your 90 days after you decide to seek a different position within the property they welcome your desire to learn and with their support is possible... well it does not happen like that, they list jobs that do not follow up on filling up position for months, some have been there for so many years that they have forgotten how to deliver great customer service but since they have been there so long that no one tell them anything, since they allow employees to gamble while on break or after shift, many have gambling issues. They keep cutting benefits and at times they have you working 2 jobs for the same pay.
If you enjoy providing genuine great customer service, this property caters mainly to hawaiian visitors and you can tell that they do really appreciate real customer service, not like the service you recently see in Vegas that if you tip good they smile if no good tip or no tip, they help you in bad mood, which again this property also have a lot of them, and managers just pressure the new on call people to deliver outstanding customer service but the old employees seem exempt of that, only a few still delivering that experience.
Coat Check Attendant yuck!
Coat check attendant (Former Employee), Michigan city, inAugust 27, 2013
Pros: free salad bar at lunch
Cons: everything
I worked coat check and was treated bad by the house keeping supervisor Mary. Sometimes she liked us and sometimes she didn't. I was left at coat check for 7 hours without a bathroom break because she told us we could not call anymore for releaf, she would send someone. Well she was getting in trouble for leaving us so she didn't want the captain to know anymore. I was also the only one in coat check for like three hours on New Years. It was horrible! I don't recommend this job!
A decent company to work for
Direct Marketing Supervisor (Current Employee), Kenner, LAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: free lunches, limited growth opportunities
Cons: poor compensation
Boyd Gaming is not known for the best compensation, but it is a relatively lax environment, and there are some opportunities for growth, depending on your career path.
boyd is not a good company to work for.
engineer (Former Employee), OrleansJuly 6, 2013
Pros: nothing good
Cons: dead end
The facility dicrector is very arrogant an not professional. Also seniority dont count for anything there an there pay very low. So if i had any advice for the people do not waste your time there.
Ok but not ok
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Robinsonville, MSMay 26, 2013
Pros: health insurance/benefits
Cons: low pay, business is slow, poor management, stressful, no teamwork, too many jobs assigned to 1 person
When I started working for this company I thought it was a nice job until I start noticing favoritism. The management of the hotel department is awful. They do not care about their employees, just as long as the job gets done they do not care how it get done nor how long. There's no such thing as team work in the hotel department. Your PTO's are very hard to get, you might put your request in first but the person after you might get it. Your job title might say Clerk II Hotel or Front Desk Clerk but you will be doing 4 or 5 other jobs. Housekeeping, PBX Operator, Bellman, answering maintenance radio calls etc. You will hardly ever have a set schedule. You will never get off on time. Supervisor is very rude along with the hotel department manager. Also the business at Sam's Town is extremely slow. This company is more of a casino that cater to the elderly.

June 3, 2013

FORMER employee of Boyd in Las Vegas and what you stated is typical Boyd style. They don't pay well and do add numerous responsiblities without compensation. They are NOT a good company to work for.

Headquarters