Boyd Gaming Corporation

Boyd Gaming Corporation Employee Reviews

Cashier (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSFebruary 25, 2017
They care about their employees and they want to see them grow with the company. They offer great benefits to their employees as well. I have met many interesting people working for the IP Casino .
Pros
Good benefits, free lunches, PTO for Partime employees as well .
Security not a good place to work
I was a security officer (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast CasinoFebruary 15, 2017
I worked security at the Gold Coast for about 3 years. Security supervisors , from the head of security to the Sergeants to the corporals were very unprofessional. There were a very few exceptions. If you were former law enforcement, they let you know you did not belong. If you were not one of their friends, you had a ruff time. When there written complaints against the supervisors, Human Resources basically ignored them.
I have to admit, the training Security got was impressive. Overall don't work there
Pros
Training
Cons
Bad supervisors, bad working conditions
Downtown incompetence issue
Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 22, 2017
- 1% raises while Management is overpaid with bonuses
- Health benefit costs have tripled in 5 years
- Lack of diversity in Downtown management. No blacks, the one you had you fired 3 years ago, one women in management . All are old, uneducated angry white men.
-Lack of advancement, constantly eliminating positions to control cost due to a dispassionate marketing team that has not been able to raise top line growth for 3 quarters year over year.
-Turnoverover at 100% in the bottom third of the seniority base. Massive favoritism toward long standing employees.
-integrity issues from core team who blindly follow for fear of retaliation.
- Bonuses collected (20% of base salary) for average performance at the expenses of shareholders and employees
- Treating your employees like they are nobodies or know nothing unless your a 30 year veteran.
- Holding on to an outdated belief system that worships a now defunct Hawaiian clientele.

This company needs a complete cultural re-set. Paying employees a 1% raise while Someone has stated the wage growth in Nevada is 4% is corporate hypocrisy. A stock that trades 40 points below its all time high is not maximizing shareholder value nor is losing 980 million in one quarter. It seems you wish to profit off the backs of your employees rather then your customers at your shareholders expense. If you believe that integrity is your cornerstone then Management should show the courage to resign to allow another individual to lead the reemergence of shareholder value and fire your entire management staff downtown to start from scra
Pros
PTO is ok. Employees are good people.
Cons
Poor property management. High turnover. Massive integrity issues
i call it the tricky company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Amelia, LAJanuary 15, 2017
they offert you a full time job but you never make it to full time.all ways trickyng emploeeys.always lying on raices.every year is a new lie.they ask you to work harder every year but at the end of the year you are worth nothing
poor management
Valet Attendant (Current Employee) –  East Peoria, ILDecember 16, 2016
Upper management was good but management with my department was bad. They need to look into new supervisors and the turnover rate wouldnt be so bad
Pros
easy and relaxing sometimes
Cons
awful supervisors, inconsistant, awful pay.
HR will suck the blood out of Employees
Accounting Position (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas NVDecember 11, 2016
Orleans Accounting bad place.. Corp. nice building, nice work stations. Accounting, AP Manager had staff in fear,
Rules not enforced. HR was Feared.
Pros
commute
Cons
corporate management
Was great work enviroment.
Shift Supervisor, Poker Dealer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 10, 2016
My time at Boyd I got to do what I always wanted to do. Get to know locals what they liked and what they wanted. Help build great communication with the locals.
Pros
Worked in fast pace competive atmosphere
Cons
saw some of the worst in people(comes to losing money)
Stay away from this dump culture
Sales executive (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 4, 2016
A bunch of liars
Such low life's that work here as so called managers
Do u self a favor get out of this place
It's a dump
Management is a joke
What do I sai hello to the job
Pros
Nice Looking holes
Cons
Manager works there
Horrible company. Stay away from boyd gaming and its properties!!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 3, 2016
Boyd Gaming has grown a lot over the last 10 years and unfortunately it has done so mainly on the backs of its employees as revenues haven't gone up, but the company has found lots of ways to cut back and reduce expenses to make their bottom line look better than it is. In a similar fashion they have cut back on guest amenities which is also why revenues are flat. Nice that they opened several new restaurants, but really how many Steakhouses do you need in Las Vegas (Cornerstone, Angry Butcher, Alder and Birch, Redwood Grill, etc)?

For those who qualify even for health benefits, the costs have risen dramatically in the last 5 years and the coverage has gone down. At the same time some employees get no increases or they get 1 percent which isn't even enough to cover the increasing cost of benefits.

The only people who like it are those that have been with the company for 15+ years as they don't know any better. Turnover for those less than a couple of years is VERY high because of favoritism with management. If you are hired at one of their properties, chances are you will start on-call with no benefits and work less than 30 hours per week. Plan on bringing your food to work with you because if you eat in the employee dining room, there's a pretty good chance you will get food poisoning.

There are a LOT of corporate employees or as some might say, too many chefs in the kitchen. Compared to Stations or Penn National, Boyd is still operating in the 1990's.

The biggest fear is what happens when Mr Boyd is no longer in the picture. Will the company be sold, will
  more... the CEO change all the things the Boyd family has instilled over the years?

Boyd is traveling like the Titanic. Keep adding more steam to go faster, but slow to change. Better watch out for the iceberg and for those considering a job with this company, beware of what you are getting yourself into.
Pros
Mr Bill Boyd and the employees that are willing to help you along the way.
Cons
Expensive Benefits, Bad food in the EDR, Management Favortism, All the Take Aways
Horrible place to work
Hotel (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSAugust 26, 2016
Do not apply to this place. You will be better off working there as a contact worker especially if you are planning on working in the hotel or kitchen. There is no teamwork there at all. One person is supposed to do the job of 4 or 5 people and get all work done, if not they will write you up. If they want to fire you they will make stuff up and put it in your file. The management including H.R. is a joke and they will do nothing with any complaint you go to them with. The pay is just as horrible along with all the other benefits that they call "perks".
Cons
everything was they good sometimes things werent in place
Entertainment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2016
i enjoyed working here things were always last mintue and i was doing everyone elses work sometimes people were always on there phones. some parents didnt sign-in
Pros
some had good attitudes
Cons
abused there breaks take others breaks
Productive and Professional
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 11, 2016
I love my job at Boyd Gaming. I am able to make decisions on my own, decisions that will obviously make the business better. Advancement opportunities are always present.
Enjoyed my time at Sams Town
PBX Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 26, 2016
I worked for Sam's Town back in 2011 to 2012 in PBX ..I Loved my coworkers and my boss..Due to circumstances beyond my control I left the company for more hours and pay..But I loved my dept all of them worked hard and they enjoyed it..The gals were all friendly and helped you in anyway.
Pros
Free Lunch/ Beautiful park area
Cons
On call status only
Pay rate is horrible
Receiver (Former Employee) –  OrleansJuly 20, 2016
While Boyd gaming executive get pay millions, regular employes get worst pay rate casino only gives25 cents or less horrible, under pay every other casino gets decent pay or double don't expect to make a living with there pay rate.warehouse receiver and drivers get pay miserable rates when other companies are the highest pay in that department no wonder nobody last in this company.
Cons
Under pay every department
Horrible
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  LouisianaJuly 2, 2016
When Boyd gaming bought our company, I thought it would be better, it's horrible ,more work ,less pay ,lay offs,I am currently looking for new employment now ,many of my coworkers have found new jobs ,I am just hanging in there till I find something better, don't waste your time
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Rarely a raise
Worst job I've had
Snack Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 15, 2016
The pay was the best thing about the job. They expect the work of 3 people from 1 person. I worked for them for 6 months and absolutely hated every minute I was at work. Management was useless and was only around to complain if you were the slightest behind, but never would help get caught up. I was also a "steady extra" which means I got part time hours with quite literally no benefits at all, not even paid days off even if I worked there for years.
Pros
Decent and cheap food in employee break room, some friendly employees
Cons
Benefits, hours, the job in general, and especiall management
Bad decision
Count Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  The Orleans Hotel and Casino Las VegasJune 14, 2016
I'm a current employee at The Orleans Hotel and Casino here in Las Vegas and the only thing I can say is Do not apply for the Count Room for this casino Boyd gaming prides itself in having their employees work as a team which is Not happening in this dept pretty much almost everyone has bad attitudes towards each other and they do a lot of complaining about each other then their always complaining about being short handed they have one guy who's on call but they won't call him when we need people on certain days in short I'm disgusted and I regret coming to this dept I also have to say I was warned about this dept before I applied about how it is so now I'm back looking for a new job
Pros
Good variety of food in the employee lunch room
stable employment
Guest Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 1, 2016
I learned housekeeping is harder than I thought. I learned that there are a lot of things to look for while cleaning . Teamwork is a big part of that department.
good benefits and compensation
Specialty Food Server (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 6, 2016
I get along well with management, and some of my co-workers are my best friends. I've worked there for 19+ years.
The hardest part of my job is when we get super busy and I have a huge station. I'm always able to keep my cool and get the job done though, which gives me pride. I do enjoy interaction with the guests, I a lot can be learned from listening and observing people.
Pros
free food and good benefits
Cons
It's hard work but I'm used to it.
The company offers training in excel, microsoft and other programs
Benefit Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 2, 2015
Boyd Gaming believes in training their employees. They offered classes such as management classes, microsoft, excel to better you as an employee. My co-workers were all very nice. I learned a lot through the classes provided.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boyd Gaming Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9