Boyd Gaming Corporation

Boyd Gaming Corporation Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Hotel (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSAugust 26, 2016
Do not apply to this place. You will be better off working there as a contact worker especially if you are planning on working in the hotel or kitchen. There is no teamwork there at all. One person is supposed to do the job of 4 or 5 people and get all work done, if not they will write you up. If they want to fire you they will make stuff up and put it in your file. The management including H.R. is a joke and they will do nothing with any complaint you go to them with. The pay is just as horrible along with all the other benefits that they call "perks".
Cons
everything was they good sometimes things werent in place
Entertainment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2016
i enjoyed working here things were always last mintue and i was doing everyone elses work sometimes people were always on there phones. some parents didnt sign-in
Pros
some had good attitudes
Cons
abused there breaks take others breaks
Productive and Professional
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 11, 2016
I love my job at Boyd Gaming. I am able to make decisions on my own, decisions that will obviously make the business better. Advancement opportunities are always present.
Enjoyed my time at Sams Town
PBX Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 26, 2016
I worked for Sam's Town back in 2011 to 2012 in PBX ..I Loved my coworkers and my boss..Due to circumstances beyond my control I left the company for more hours and pay..But I loved my dept all of them worked hard and they enjoyed it..The gals were all friendly and helped you in anyway.
Pros
Free Lunch/ Beautiful park area
Cons
On call status only
Pay rate is horrible
Receiver (Former Employee) –  OrleansJuly 20, 2016
While Boyd gaming executive get pay millions, regular employes get worst pay rate casino only gives25 cents or less horrible, under pay every other casino gets decent pay or double don't expect to make a living with there pay rate.warehouse receiver and drivers get pay miserable rates when other companies are the highest pay in that department no wonder nobody last in this company.
Cons
Under pay every department
Horrible
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  LouisianaJuly 2, 2016
When Boyd gaming bought our company, I thought it would be better, it's horrible ,more work ,less pay ,lay offs,I am currently looking for new employment now ,many of my coworkers have found new jobs ,I am just hanging in there till I find something better, don't waste your time
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Rarely a raise
Worst job I've had
Snack Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 15, 2016
The pay was the best thing about the job. They expect the work of 3 people from 1 person. I worked for them for 6 months and absolutely hated every minute I was at work. Management was useless and was only around to complain if you were the slightest behind, but never would help get caught up. I was also a "steady extra" which means I got part time hours with quite literally no benefits at all, not even paid days off even if I worked there for years.
Pros
Decent and cheap food in employee break room, some friendly employees
Cons
Benefits, hours, the job in general, and especiall management
Bad decision
Count Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  The Orleans Hotel and Casino Las VegasJune 14, 2016
I'm a current employee at The Orleans Hotel and Casino here in Las Vegas and the only thing I can say is Do not apply for the Count Room for this casino Boyd gaming prides itself in having their employees work as a team which is Not happening in this dept pretty much almost everyone has bad attitudes towards each other and they do a lot of complaining about each other then their always complaining about being short handed they have one guy who's on call but they won't call him when we need people on certain days in short I'm disgusted and I regret coming to this dept I also have to say I was warned about this dept before I applied about how it is so now I'm back looking for a new job
Pros
Good variety of food in the employee lunch room
stable employment
Guest Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 1, 2016
I learned housekeeping is harder than I thought. I learned that there are a lot of things to look for while cleaning . Teamwork is a big part of that department.
good benefits and compensation
Specialty Food Server (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 6, 2016
I get along well with management, and some of my co-workers are my best friends. I've worked there for 19+ years.
The hardest part of my job is when we get super busy and I have a huge station. I'm always able to keep my cool and get the job done though, which gives me pride. I do enjoy interaction with the guests, I a lot can be learned from listening and observing people.
Pros
free food and good benefits
Cons
It's hard work but I'm used to it.
The company offers training in excel, microsoft and other programs
Benefit Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 2, 2015
Boyd Gaming believes in training their employees. They offered classes such as management classes, microsoft, excel to better you as an employee. My co-workers were all very nice. I learned a lot through the classes provided.
suncoast hotel and casino , worthless
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 25, 2015
The current general manager of the casino is worthless and the food and beverage director as well, suncoast casino use to be a great place to work for until New management came along.
Pros
Cons
pay is horrible and benefits.
Employee friendly culture and environment
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 4, 2015
The company provides extensive initial training (company run Security Academy) and annual training updating.
Arms Qualification are down quarterly and the company provides some practice ammunition also.

My reason for leaving...I retired. The company has offered an On-call position if I become interested but I am interested in trying something new.
Pros
All Perks associated with concerned employment.
Cons
Vacation time must be scheduled well in advance.
Exciting workplace with lots of diversity.
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 9, 2015
Boyd Gaming is a fun and exciting workplace with lots of diversity and advancement opportunities. I would recommend others to apply and work here,
Pros
Paid hour lunches.
Cons
Medical benefits.
Overall a interesting place to work, unfortunately opportunity for advancement and benefits package limited.
Cage Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 28, 2015
It can be a interesting place to work, unfortunately advancement, and benefits package is to limited. I like what I do giving good customer service, training my employees. Taking a difficult situation and making it into a positive experience for the employee and guest.
Our particular property is awesome
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSApril 2, 2015
Boyd Gaming has a number of properties as you may know. I am fortunate to work at what I consider to be one of the best. I have noticed changes since Boyd bought our property, some good some I'm not sure I am fond of.... but you can't please everyone all of the time. Overall this is a good company to work for I think. I am proud of my particular property and have an immense amount of respect for my Manager and Director. If you are a hard worker that is driven to succeed there is definitely room for growth at this property. The only thing I would say is that I wish the entire company as a whole focused more on property wide promotion of guest service. It should be the at the forefront of the culture. I think that is one of the things I miss most about our property. Guest service is important to Boyd but I just wish it was more apparent to the employees. Team rallies and meetings to motivate our employees to take guest service to the next level.
Pros
room for growth
Cons
adjusting to "corporate" life
If you have a family or a life do not apply.
Cashier, hostess, server (Current Employee) –  Treasure Chest, Kenner LaFebruary 21, 2015
From the management to "free lunch." This place is garbage. The only people that are happy here are the people who opened with the boat. They don't know any better. It's a complete dead end job. They don't work around schedules. You have to literally be dying to get paid time off. The pay itself is horrible. You would think being that this is a casino you'd get paid more. Absolutely not. The benefits are probably as bad as management. Each department is ran by some over weight power hungry slob. I wouldn't recommened this job. Oh and let's not forget their famous attendance point system. Such a joke considering you have to take a shuttle bus to the casino, and the employees driving the bus are in la la land ninety percent of the time. They pass you up. They drive entirely too slow. Since Vincent left this place it's just gone downhill. They valet supervisors are doing taxes in the office while valet drivers are smashing up customer cars. You have dealers who are always on some type of muscle relaxer. Grooming standards here are absurd. I'm surprised this place is still running. Luckily for me I've found a new job using this website here. Good luck to you all, please don't apply here!
Pros
the view of the lake
Cons
see below
Fun Atmosphere with Awesome Perks
Pits (Current Employee) –  Mulvane Kansas (Kansas Star Casino)January 23, 2015
I love my job at the Kansas Star! Its not as bad as people make it out to be sometimes, in fact I've been here long enough to see people who didn't like it return because they figured out it wasn't that bad. Sure every company has good and bad things about it. The benefits are a little high but they work and we use them. My managers are awesome. If I need time off they work with me, if I'm sick they call to check on me. We sell fun at the KSC who else gets paid to play card games?!?!? I make awesome money and have a good time doing it. We have an awesome cafeteria, free soda, coffee and tea...free bagels and toast...free salad bar and only 3.00 for a hot lunch...you pay more for McDonald's and this is really good food most of the time! If I ever have problems I know who to ask for help, no one has ever treated me unfairly HR is very prompt and on top of anything I have questions about. My supervisors are always there when I need them. I'm looking forward to many more years at the Star.
Pros
fun work environment, positive upbeat people and a great boss
Cons
benefit pricing
Tools and equipment provided make the job easier to complete
IT Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2015
I enjoy working with people and solving the problems that may come up as part of my day. Working with team members at Boyd has taught me so much about Excel, Access and Word. I learned everything with a hands-on approach. I schedule my day by priority and ensure that the most important job is done immediately. If something may come up during the important jobs I will readjust my priorities if needed.
Pros
great team members that are helpful, friendly. easy to complete assigned tasks with efficient tools and environment.
Cons
micro-management, advancement not made available to current employees
Do not apply
Office assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas Star - Mulvane, KSJanuary 10, 2015
I currently work at Kansas Star Casino. I am a bright, educated, very hard working person. I am not recognized at all for my work even though my "team" would be a mess if they had to do what I do. My work goes unnoticed unless it's not done so people take me and what I do for granted. I am way under paid, benefits are outrageously expensive, not to mention the coverage is barley considered coverage for the premium price. The management staff is very "clicky" and they don't hold their employees on the same level. If they're friends, it's okay to break the rules with no punishment, but if management does not like you, be ready for unjustifiable write ups that will eventually lead to termination. Employees are treated so poorly by supervisors and managers, it's unreal! In my department all of the supervisors are on at least one type of illegal drug but it's overlooked because the director is too lazy to find better, smarter, more professional staff. He also knows he would have to pay an actual livable wage if he hired good staff but he's a Penny pincher with his staff and pays them the very minimum. And forget annual raises! The maximum raise is 2% but good luck even getting that. Most people get .75-1.15% even if they deserve more because the directors have payroll budget to meet and if they don't, the directors don't get their huge annual bonuses. No one likes to help anyone else.... Not on their team, not in another department, not anywhere. This is a very selfish and poorly run environment to work in. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy! You WILL be treated  more... unfair, be way underpaid, not respected, etc... You name it. Just don't apply!  less
Pros
free salad.... if you like slimy brown lettuce
Cons
every. single. thing.

2.9