Boyd Gaming Corporation

Boyd Gaming Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

good benefits and compensation
Specialty Food Server (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 6, 2016
I get along well with management, and some of my co-workers are my best friends. I've worked there for 19+ years.
The hardest part of my job is when we get super busy and I have a huge station. I'm always able to keep my cool and get the job done though, which gives me pride. I do enjoy interaction with the guests, I a lot can be learned from listening and observing people.
Pros
free food and good benefits
Cons
It's hard work but I'm used to it.
The company offers training in excel, microsoft and other programs
Benefit Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 2, 2015
Boyd Gaming believes in training their employees. They offered classes such as management classes, microsoft, excel to better you as an employee. My co-workers were all very nice. I learned a lot through the classes provided.
suncoast hotel and casino , worthless
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 25, 2015
The current general manager of the casino is worthless and the food and beverage director as well, suncoast casino use to be a great place to work for until New management came along.
Pros
Cons
pay is horrible and benefits.
Employee friendly culture and environment
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 4, 2015
The company provides extensive initial training (company run Security Academy) and annual training updating.
Arms Qualification are down quarterly and the company provides some practice ammunition also.

My reason for leaving...I retired. The company has offered an On-call position if I become interested but I am interested in trying something new.
Pros
All Perks associated with concerned employment.
Cons
Vacation time must be scheduled well in advance.
Exciting workplace with lots of diversity.
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 9, 2015
Boyd Gaming is a fun and exciting workplace with lots of diversity and advancement opportunities. I would recommend others to apply and work here,
Pros
Paid hour lunches.
Cons
Medical benefits.
Overall a interesting place to work, unfortunately opportunity for advancement and benefits package limited.
Cage Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 28, 2015
It can be a interesting place to work, unfortunately advancement, and benefits package is to limited. I like what I do giving good customer service, training my employees. Taking a difficult situation and making it into a positive experience for the employee and guest.
Our particular property is awesome
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSApril 2, 2015
Boyd Gaming has a number of properties as you may know. I am fortunate to work at what I consider to be one of the best. I have noticed changes since Boyd bought our property, some good some I'm not sure I am fond of.... but you can't please everyone all of the time. Overall this is a good company to work for I think. I am proud of my particular property and have an immense amount of respect for my Manager and Director. If you are a hard worker that is driven to succeed there is definitely room for growth at this property. The only thing I would say is that I wish the entire company as a whole focused more on property wide promotion of guest service. It should be the at the forefront of the culture. I think that is one of the things I miss most about our property. Guest service is important to Boyd but I just wish it was more apparent to the employees. Team rallies and meetings to motivate our employees to take guest service to the next level.
Pros
room for growth
Cons
adjusting to "corporate" life
If you have a family or a life do not apply.
Cashier, hostess, server (Current Employee) –  Treasure Chest, Kenner LaFebruary 21, 2015
From the management to "free lunch." This place is garbage. The only people that are happy here are the people who opened with the boat. They don't know any better. It's a complete dead end job. They don't work around schedules. You have to literally be dying to get paid time off. The pay itself is horrible. You would think being that this is a casino you'd get paid more. Absolutely not. The benefits are probably as bad as management. Each department is ran by some over weight power hungry slob. I wouldn't recommened this job. Oh and let's not forget their famous attendance point system. Such a joke considering you have to take a shuttle bus to the casino, and the employees driving the bus are in la la land ninety percent of the time. They pass you up. They drive entirely too slow. Since Vincent left this place it's just gone downhill. They valet supervisors are doing taxes in the office while valet drivers are smashing up customer cars. You have dealers who are always on some type of muscle relaxer. Grooming standards here are absurd. I'm surprised this place is still running. Luckily for me I've found a new job using this website here. Good luck to you all, please don't apply here!
Pros
the view of the lake
Cons
see below
Fun Atmosphere with Awesome Perks
Pits (Current Employee) –  Mulvane Kansas (Kansas Star Casino)January 23, 2015
I love my job at the Kansas Star! Its not as bad as people make it out to be sometimes, in fact I've been here long enough to see people who didn't like it return because they figured out it wasn't that bad. Sure every company has good and bad things about it. The benefits are a little high but they work and we use them. My managers are awesome. If I need time off they work with me, if I'm sick they call to check on me. We sell fun at the KSC who else gets paid to play card games?!?!? I make awesome money and have a good time doing it. We have an awesome cafeteria, free soda, coffee and tea...free bagels and toast...free salad bar and only 3.00 for a hot lunch...you pay more for McDonald's and this is really good food most of the time! If I ever have problems I know who to ask for help, no one has ever treated me unfairly HR is very prompt and on top of anything I have questions about. My supervisors are always there when I need them. I'm looking forward to many more years at the Star.
Pros
fun work environment, positive upbeat people and a great boss
Cons
benefit pricing
Tools and equipment provided make the job easier to complete
IT Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2015
I enjoy working with people and solving the problems that may come up as part of my day. Working with team members at Boyd has taught me so much about Excel, Access and Word. I learned everything with a hands-on approach. I schedule my day by priority and ensure that the most important job is done immediately. If something may come up during the important jobs I will readjust my priorities if needed.
Pros
great team members that are helpful, friendly. easy to complete assigned tasks with efficient tools and environment.
Cons
micro-management, advancement not made available to current employees

Want to know more about Boyd Gaming Corporation?

Ask a question
Do not apply
Office assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas Star - Mulvane, KSJanuary 10, 2015
I currently work at Kansas Star Casino. I am a bright, educated, very hard working person. I am not recognized at all for my work even though my "team" would be a mess if they had to do what I do. My work goes unnoticed unless it's not done so people take me and what I do for granted. I am way under paid, benefits are outrageously expensive, not to mention the coverage is barley considered coverage for the premium price. The management staff is very "clicky" and they don't hold their employees on the same level. If they're friends, it's okay to break the rules with no punishment, but if management does not like you, be ready for unjustifiable write ups that will eventually lead to termination. Employees are treated so poorly by supervisors and managers, it's unreal! In my department all of the supervisors are on at least one type of illegal drug but it's overlooked because the director is too lazy to find better, smarter, more professional staff. He also knows he would have to pay an actual livable wage if he hired good staff but he's a Penny pincher with his staff and pays them the very minimum. And forget annual raises! The maximum raise is 2% but good luck even getting that. Most people get .75-1.15% even if they deserve more because the directors have payroll budget to meet and if they don't, the directors don't get their huge annual bonuses. No one likes to help anyone else.... Not on their team, not in another department, not anywhere. This is a very selfish and poorly run environment to work in. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy! You WILL be treated  more... unfair, be way underpaid, not respected, etc... You name it. Just don't apply!  less
Pros
free salad.... if you like slimy brown lettuce
Cons
every. single. thing.
Diamond jo worth
Security (Current Employee) –  Diamond jo worthDecember 11, 2014
Working here is not good. Especially security. Get treated not very well and pay is worse. Considered not money makers so get payed very low and looked down upon even though security gets called to help with everything and keeps the casino from getting big fines by going their jobs. They don't tell you in interviews or anywhere how much you'll get paid or the fact they don't have holiday pay.
Boyd is a great company to work for.
IT FIELD SERVICES SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 18, 2014
Began as IT Field Technician II, promoted within 1 year to Senior IT Field Technician the again within 2 years to IT Field Services Supervisor with complete responsibility for management, administration and daily operations for Fremont and Main Street Station, California Club and Coast Hotels and Casinos, as well as Boyd Corporate Headquarter Office. Duties include: System Hardware, Software and Personnel Logistics for Expansion and Upgrade Projections as well as special projects requiring additional components; Installation and Maintenance Contract Estimates; Working with Purchasing Dept. I work with a great IT team. The hardest part of the job I never have enough time. The most enjoyable part is the completion of projects for the shareholders.
Good place to Work.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 23, 2014
Loved the work. It was fun and the people were great to work with
A excellent employer
WesternEmporium Manager/Slot Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  las vegas, nevadaJune 26, 2014
I received promotions and eventually became a member of the management team
Pros
excellent career
Cons
constant relocation
Terrible place to be employed!!!!
Casino (Former Employee) –  Mulvane, KSApril 21, 2014
This place, is by FAR the most god awful place I've ever been employed (yes, even worse than my high school fast food jobs)

I learned absolutely nothing from this place, other than the fact that I refuse to enter another casino for the rest of my human existance. It's a depressing, unmotivating place, that literally sucks you into it's vast amount of negativity, fueled by the "clicky" staff with the mentality of a high school drama fest.

The co-workers were okay, but only in YOUR department.. just don't dare venture to another department, you would be literally stared at like "what are you doing here" type of thing. Most people here lack any sort of social and communication type skill, which you would think would flurish in such an environment.

Management was an absolute joke, they had no supervisory skills, NO communication skills, and were literally puppets with a new set of rules posted every single day. AND if you so happened to not follow the new "rule" of the day, you would be disciplined! In fact, management didn't even truly know the rules considering they changed every day at will..

Honestly, don't work here.. find a REAL job that treats their employees with respect, and dignity that they deserve.. no one deserves to be treated the way the KANSAS STAR CASINO treats their employees.. hopefully management possibly went back to obtain their high school diplomas, or even a G.E.D.? Hope this was helpful!

Cheers:)
Suncoast casino the worst
Cocktail server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, nvApril 4, 2014
I worked at the Suncoast for 8 years, in 2006 Boyd gaming owned it and the casino begins to go down, low quality food, no compensing costumers as they get used to with the previous owner, the management it's horrible, my coworkers and I complained about her attitude in HR but they never did nothing, those king of supervisor are the one who pick on you without a reason even if you are a good worker.
It's a lot of favoritism with employees there, no encourage to employees to make a good work day and supervisors with miserable attitude that make you work day a bad day!
Pros
pto for vacation and free lunch.
Cons
bad healthcare benefits.
Its 2014 not 1954
chef (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INMarch 7, 2014
I was the most qualified. I was liked by the chefs. I was basically told I had the job then discriminated against because I have a medical marijuana card ;( Their loss... I am creative, hardworking, loyal and great at what I do.
Cons
outdated ideals
Great people outside of the surveillance department.
Surveillance Agent (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 19, 2013
I'm going to start this off by saying that the people I came across outside of the surveillance department were great. However, the people who work in the surveillance department in Shreveport often find the need to talk down about other employees who work on the casino floor. If you are a certain race in this department you will have to put up with smart or nasty comments/ insinuations and you will be made to look like a liar (especially if you have an education). My experience here wasn't a pleasant one. Boyd corporation needs to actually make sure the state police is watching the surveillance department as well, because something's that occurred should have raised some red flags in upper management. I could go on, but if your are a minority I wouldn't apply to this department in Shreveport because the employees who have been there a long time still have the mentality that the south shall rise again.
Pros
human resource staff is great
Cons
too many to list (surveillance department)
Excellent Company to work for
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSSeptember 19, 2013
I worked here for several years. I learned a lot and enjoyed my time there.
Pros
meeting people and perks
Cons
slow season