Boyd Gaming Corporation

Boyd Gaming Corporation Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Hotel (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSAugust 26, 2016
Do not apply to this place. You will be better off working there as a contact worker especially if you are planning on working in the hotel or kitchen. There is no teamwork there at all. One person is supposed to do the job of 4 or 5 people and get all work done, if not they will write you up. If they want to fire you they will make stuff up and put it in your file. The management including H.R. is a joke and they will do nothing with any complaint you go to them with. The pay is just as horrible along with all the other benefits that they call "perks".
Worst job I've had
Snack Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 15, 2016
The pay was the best thing about the job. They expect the work of 3 people from 1 person. I worked for them for 6 months and absolutely hated every minute I was at work. Management was useless and was only around to complain if you were the slightest behind, but never would help get caught up. I was also a "steady extra" which means I got part time hours with quite literally no benefits at all, not even paid days off even if I worked there for years.
Pros
Decent and cheap food in employee break room, some friendly employees
Cons
Benefits, hours, the job in general, and especiall management
Horrible
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  LouisianaJuly 2, 2016
When Boyd gaming bought our company, I thought it would be better, it's horrible ,more work ,less pay ,lay offs,I am currently looking for new employment now ,many of my coworkers have found new jobs ,I am just hanging in there till I find something better, don't waste your time
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Rarely a raise
Pay rate is horrible
Receiver (Former Employee) –  OrleansJuly 20, 2016
While Boyd gaming executive get pay millions, regular employes get worst pay rate casino only gives25 cents or less horrible, under pay every other casino gets decent pay or double don't expect to make a living with there pay rate.warehouse receiver and drivers get pay miserable rates when other companies are the highest pay in that department no wonder nobody last in this company.
Cons
Under pay every department
i call it the tricky company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Amelia, LAJanuary 15, 2017
they offert you a full time job but you never make it to full time.all ways trickyng emploeeys.always lying on raices.every year is a new lie.they ask you to work harder every year but at the end of the year you are worth nothing
poor management
Valet Attendant (Current Employee) –  East Peoria, ILDecember 16, 2016
Upper management was good but management with my department was bad. They need to look into new supervisors and the turnover rate wouldnt be so bad
Pros
easy and relaxing sometimes
Cons
awful supervisors, inconsistant, awful pay.
HR will suck the blood out of Employees
Accounting Position (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas NVDecember 11, 2016
Orleans Accounting bad place.. Corp. nice building, nice work stations. Accounting, AP Manager had staff in fear,
Rules not enforced. HR was Feared.
Pros
commute
Cons
corporate management
Horrible company. Stay away from boyd gaming and its properties!!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 3, 2016
Boyd Gaming has grown a lot over the last 10 years and unfortunately it has done so mainly on the backs of its employees as revenues haven't gone up, but the company has found lots of ways to cut back and reduce expenses to make their bottom line look better than it is. In a similar fashion they have cut back on guest amenities which is also why revenues are flat. Nice that they opened several new restaurants, but really how many Steakhouses do you need in Las Vegas (Cornerstone, Angry Butcher, Alder and Birch, Redwood Grill, etc)?

For those who qualify even for health benefits, the costs have risen dramatically in the last 5 years and the coverage has gone down. At the same time some employees get no increases or they get 1 percent which isn't even enough to cover the increasing cost of benefits.

The only people who like it are those that have been with the company for 15+ years as they don't know any better. Turnover for those less than a couple of years is VERY high because of favoritism with management. If you are hired at one of their properties, chances are you will start on-call with no benefits and work less than 30 hours per week. Plan on bringing your food to work with you because if you eat in the employee dining room, there's a pretty good chance you will get food poisoning.

There are a LOT of corporate employees or as some might say, too many chefs in the kitchen. Compared to Stations or Penn National, Boyd is still operating in the 1990's.

The biggest fear is what happens when Mr Boyd is no longer in the picture. Will the company be sold, will
  more... the CEO change all the things the Boyd family has instilled over the years?

Boyd is traveling like the Titanic. Keep adding more steam to go faster, but slow to change. Better watch out for the iceberg and for those considering a job with this company, beware of what you are getting yourself into.
Pros
Mr Bill Boyd and the employees that are willing to help you along the way.
Cons
Expensive Benefits, Bad food in the EDR, Management Favortism, All the Take Aways
Stay away from this dump culture
Sales executive (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 4, 2016
A bunch of liars
Such low life's that work here as so called managers
Do u self a favor get out of this place
It's a dump
Management is a joke
What do I sai hello to the job
Pros
Nice Looking holes
Cons
Manager works there
Productive and Professional
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 11, 2016
I love my job at Boyd Gaming. I am able to make decisions on my own, decisions that will obviously make the business better. Advancement opportunities are always present.
good benefits and compensation
Specialty Food Server (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 6, 2016
I get along well with management, and some of my co-workers are my best friends. I've worked there for 19+ years.
The hardest part of my job is when we get super busy and I have a huge station. I'm always able to keep my cool and get the job done though, which gives me pride. I do enjoy interaction with the guests, I a lot can be learned from listening and observing people.
Pros
free food and good benefits
Cons
It's hard work but I'm used to it.
Bad decision
Count Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  The Orleans Hotel and Casino Las VegasJune 14, 2016
I'm a current employee at The Orleans Hotel and Casino here in Las Vegas and the only thing I can say is Do not apply for the Count Room for this casino Boyd gaming prides itself in having their employees work as a team which is Not happening in this dept pretty much almost everyone has bad attitudes towards each other and they do a lot of complaining about each other then their always complaining about being short handed they have one guy who's on call but they won't call him when we need people on certain days in short I'm disgusted and I regret coming to this dept I also have to say I was warned about this dept before I applied about how it is so now I'm back looking for a new job
Pros
Good variety of food in the employee lunch room
Was great work enviroment.
Shift Supervisor, Poker Dealer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 10, 2016
My time at Boyd I got to do what I always wanted to do. Get to know locals what they liked and what they wanted. Help build great communication with the locals.
Pros
Worked in fast pace competive atmosphere
Cons
saw some of the worst in people(comes to losing money)
everything was they good sometimes things werent in place
Entertainment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2016
i enjoyed working here things were always last mintue and i was doing everyone elses work sometimes people were always on there phones. some parents didnt sign-in
Pros
some had good attitudes
Cons
abused there breaks take others breaks
Enjoyed my time at Sams Town
PBX Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 26, 2016
I worked for Sam's Town back in 2011 to 2012 in PBX ..I Loved my coworkers and my boss..Due to circumstances beyond my control I left the company for more hours and pay..But I loved my dept all of them worked hard and they enjoyed it..The gals were all friendly and helped you in anyway.
Pros
Free Lunch/ Beautiful park area
Cons
On call status only
Struggling to raise a family in a precarious corporate culture
(All aspects of the gaming industry) (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 24, 2013
I was one of the most knowledgeable and respected members of the team, enjoying six promotions or parallel transfers with raises in eight years. My position was eliminated three different times, and I believe it was more than a coincidence. Pretty difficult to prove that, though. Twice it was done through property management, and once through the corporate office. Very disappointed with the corporation as a whole and would caution anyone trying to advance their career in the gaming industry to understand that there are great opportunities with other organizations who truly value relationships and operate with integrity, two cornerstones of the Boyd philosophy at which they have failed.
Pros
excellent benefits, pto, vacation, for the most part great people
Cons
letting people go is a priority in tough economic times, rather than look for cuts elsewhere; i.e., promotions or f & b
Great people outside of the surveillance department.
Surveillance Agent (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 19, 2013
I'm going to start this off by saying that the people I came across outside of the surveillance department were great. However, the people who work in the surveillance department in Shreveport often find the need to talk down about other employees who work on the casino floor. If you are a certain race in this department you will have to put up with smart or nasty comments/ insinuations and you will be made to look like a liar (especially if you have an education). My experience here wasn't a pleasant one. Boyd corporation needs to actually make sure the state police is watching the surveillance department as well, because something's that occurred should have raised some red flags in upper management. I could go on, but if your are a minority I wouldn't apply to this department in Shreveport because the employees who have been there a long time still have the mentality that the south shall rise again.
Pros
Human resource staff is great
Cons
Too many to list (surveillance department)
suncoast hotel and casino , worthless
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 25, 2015
The current general manager of the casino is worthless and the food and beverage director as well, suncoast casino use to be a great place to work for until New management came along.
Pros
Cons
pay is horrible and benefits.
Our particular property is awesome
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSApril 2, 2015
Boyd Gaming has a number of properties as you may know. I am fortunate to work at what I consider to be one of the best. I have noticed changes since Boyd bought our property, some good some I'm not sure I am fond of.... but you can't please everyone all of the time. Overall this is a good company to work for I think. I am proud of my particular property and have an immense amount of respect for my Manager and Director. If you are a hard worker that is driven to succeed there is definitely room for growth at this property. The only thing I would say is that I wish the entire company as a whole focused more on property wide promotion of guest service. It should be the at the forefront of the culture. I think that is one of the things I miss most about our property. Guest service is important to Boyd but I just wish it was more apparent to the employees. Team rallies and meetings to motivate our employees to take guest service to the next level.
Pros
room for growth
Cons
adjusting to "corporate" life
Tools and equipment provided make the job easier to complete
IT Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2015
I enjoy working with people and solving the problems that may come up as part of my day. Working with team members at Boyd has taught me so much about Excel, Access and Word. I learned everything with a hands-on approach. I schedule my day by priority and ensure that the most important job is done immediately. If something may come up during the important jobs I will readjust my priorities if needed.
Pros
Great team members that are helpful, friendly. Easy to complete assigned tasks with efficient tools and environment.
Cons
Micro-management, advancement not made available to current employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boyd Gaming Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9