Boyd Gaming Employee Reviews

Fun Exciting and also can be boring at times
Security Officer/EMT - Full Time/Part Time (Current Employee) –  Mulvane, KSNovember 2, 2016
Great place to work and my management team is Awesome!! We have fun with the customers and get to watch customers win lots of money!! I see many things in this job and the most fun is when Friday and Saturdays come.
Pros
Lunch for us is only $3!! Lunch is paid, Uniforms Provided, Over 21 envirronment
Cons
Uniforms could use updating, pay could be higher
Productive and very nice worklplace
Information Technology Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV Corporate OfficeSeptember 13, 2016
Every day there were smiles on peoples faces and everyone was so nice. It was their "Boyd Style". My typical day was non-stop as I assisted seven directors and the CIO as well as the entire IT department along with the Executive Secretary. I provided excellent support to the entire department. My co-workers were very appreciative of the help I provided them.
Pros
People, Friendly
Cons
Benefits were not great
Casino and horsetrack with nice restaurant and bars has friendly work environment
Security Lead/ Casino Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Opelousas, LASeptember 12, 2016
I started at 10 pm and I would direct officers to their posts, then verify their location, and begin supervising the floor. I learned how to work well with customers and coworkers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with intoxicated customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know customers and seeing them have a good time.
sams town
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 31, 2016
its a small casino that we welcome everyone and we treat them fairly and make them feel welcome while their on the property
Pros
free lunch
Cons
need to change company I've been here for so long
Casino Job
Beverage Server/ Bartender (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 30, 2016
On-call status was beneficial in that it allowed me to work different hours and all beverage sections of the casino. Management was always helpful whenever needed. Fellow employees were friendly and helpful as well.
Pros
free lunch, 3 scheduled breaks per shift, use of a purse locker while on duty.
Cons
smoky casino environment.
we always had enjoying field trips, my favorite was when we got all the age groups together and did rocall and songs
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2016
my coworkers were amazing everyone was different in there own way. our supervisor and manger was always interacting with the kids. the hardest part was getting the older kids to listen and follow instructions
Pros
everyone was always on time, activities were never an issue, all coworkers got along
Cons
breaks were to long, some staff abused there breaks
The managers and supervisors had poor communication skills.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 3, 2016
This is all from my point of view as a housekeeper.

There were scheduling mishaps. I was on call so I had to call everyday between 2pm and 3pm to see if I was working the next day. A couple times I called and had a lady in the office check the schedule and she said I was not working, but then the boss would call me asking why I didn't show up to work. I believe if they switched to an online schedule it would resolve this problem. So they're a little behind on technology there.

The supervisors all wanted you to work differently. It would be small things here and there, but small enough for them to give you a poor review. One supervisor wanted you to fold towels one way, the other would want you to fold towels the other way. One supervisor required you to put the trash in one place, another supervisor told you to put it elsewhere. You REALLY had to learn how to do your job four different ways and pay attention to who your supervisor was for the day or you would get poor reviews over the little thing, which could get you called into the office for "poor job performance" and "Not cleaning to Boyd's standard". There was literally no set standard the supervisors followed.

Another thing I did not like was that you were not given enough time to properly clean a room. We were required to clean 17 rooms a day, in an 8 hour period. We had to take an hour lunch. Take away another half hour (minimum) to clock in and out, get your keys for the day, do your morning room check , and stock your cart after lunch and before leaving. This leaves 6 and a half hours for 17 rooms. This leaves
  more... you around 20 minutes a room. No matter HOW dirty it was, vacant or occupied, 20 minutes. That's how long we have to make sure it is clean and safe for the next occupant.

They did not count vacant rooms as being more work than occupied (even though it really is, ask anyone who works there). They did not care if one room was WAY more dirty than the next.

It was an extremely stressful environment. It was physically draining. I came home hurting everywhere from trying to meet their requirements. I was not able to do the 17 rooms, but I had been showing improvement. I went from 8 a day one week, to 10 a day the next, to 12-14 a day the day after that, and even though I was showing improvement, I was tod by my boss that "It isn't about improving, it is about completing the assignment". I was not encouraged in any way.

I wouldn't recommend working here.
Pros
Free buffet lunches, discounts at different places around town
Cons
Frequent errors in communications, no set standard for supervisors, not given enough time to complete assignments, not encouraged to improve yourself as an employee
Great company to not work for
Underpaid Employee (Former Employee) –  IowaJuly 18, 2016
Wages are horrible they don't give any holidays off and no bereavement pay. Cooks are paid more than security. You have to be in a job that makes the casino money to make any money.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Its a lousy job
Great job
Box Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orleans Arena Las VegasJuly 2, 2016
This was an enjoyable part time job. The people were friendly and supportive and the customers were respectful and engaging.
It is a good place to start a career
Guest Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  michigan city indianaMay 4, 2016
The trianing is helpful and the turnover rate is extremely high. I learned that housekeeping is hard work. The most enjoyable part of that job are the friends I made.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
mandated alot
Job security each and everyday. Each day brought something different.
RIVER BOAT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAApril 27, 2016
I enjoyed working at Boyd Gaming. There is ups and downs to every employment that is to be expected. Everyday was a new day and no two days were the same. Advancement was available with a variety of positions within the establishment.
Pros
Three shifts avaliable
I enjoyed my job as security with California Hotel
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 9, 2016
I enjoyed meeting in the security office to get our schedules, and radios, and we all walk out to our areas were assigned to for that day. I learned a lot from just about everyone from multiple departments to me it was like a big work family. It was my first time being a security officer I learned how to write reports, use the radios, learn the 400 codes, basic first aid, AED and CPR training. I learned to dispatch and to use the cameras and i got to learn surveillance. I don't really remember having hard parts I enjoyed it well I guess the standing around when theres other stuff i wish I could be learning thats the only thing I would say that was hard.
Pros
free lunch, PTO
Great place to gain experience from
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 28, 2016
Good place to work if you don't mind working overtime. The down side is getting low pay when your dealing with intoxicated poeple!
Pros
gain a lot of security experience
Cons
Starting rate is low
A place to work for a student
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 18, 2015
If you are in school its perfect because of flexible hours and location by UNLV. The pay rate is not the best but you can save. Worked there for a year with no health benefits.
Typical Day
PBX OPerator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 26, 2015
Enjoyed receiving calls from people from all over the world to visit Las Vegas , its exciting to share places to go and tour while they are visiting.
Pros
meet lots of people
Cons
Grave yard shift
Fun Place
Midnight Casino Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAOctober 15, 2015
Not all about the numbers but how you personally how and develop. a fast pace work environment. A lot of variety in the position.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Fun Work place
Executive Steward (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 13, 2015
Lots of fun events and competitions for Team Members

Responsible for managing 80-90 Food and Beverage sanitation team members and five steward supervisors.

Completed weekly schedules for all Convention/Banquet functions and daily operations of the property.

Assured property was in compliance with all health depart, FDA, OSHA and HACCP rules and regulations.

Completed all assigned projects from Food and Beverage Director and Executive Chef.

Controlling all inventory and parts of china, glassware and silver for all outlets including bars.

Worked closely with SCATS consultants and trainers

Actively involve employees and management in all elements of the safety and health program

Committed to the resources necessary to implement effective safety and health programs

Corrected all identified safety and health hazards

Worked towards lowering the Days Away Restricted or Transferred (DART) and Total Recordable Case Rate (TRCR) rates of the company to a point below the national average for the hospitality industry

Provided SCATS with a copy of appropriate DART data

Hardest part of job was having to administer Disciplinary action to team members.

Getting to know and work with team members.
Pros
free lunches
Fun workplace and free lunch.
Count Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 7, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was the team work, and each persons work counted as the teams accomplishment. The opportunity to work in another position that differs from each day.
Pros
Free lunch and team work.
Cons
Early morning and weekend shift.
Unfriendly
Food Server (Former Employee) –  California hotelSeptember 9, 2015
Unfriendly, hostile work environment. product was unordered properly so ran out frequently and had to explain to guest. Lots of bickering among coworkers, had to steer clear as best could. Management failed to be reasonable, especially to people with seniority The most difficult part of the job was the blame people would try to place if someone passed away. There were lots and managements mismanagement. Learned that people will cover their own buts regardless of the consequences to others. The most enjoyable part of the job was the few other people that cared.
Pros
Had been there for approx 27 years.
Cons
No loyalty to people with seniority
Cool
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  ShreveportAugust 12, 2015
Work is only good if you want it to be. Cool life, but a lot of butholes. Some people will try to look down on you for nothing.
Pros
Meet a lot of people and connections
Cons
Any trash can get you fired

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boyd Gaming. Our community is ready to answer.