Product Development Engineer
- Source, Negotiate and maintain quality assurance, on Accent and selected Boyd Products (Both Foreign and Domestic)
- Source, negotiate and maintain quality assurance on Accent and Boyd Point of Sale displays. (Designs provided)
- Travel to foreign countries as needed: Approximately 3-4 times per year. Currently we purchase from Taiwan, China and Malaysia. Most likely within a year we will only source in Taiwan and China but that is TBD. Average 10 days per trip.
- Attend trade shows as needed: Currently we have two shows per year in Las Vegas. Responsible for assisting/coordinating with showroom set up for each show with all new product development. This is approx. 5 days at the end of Jan. and 5 days at the end of July.
- Assist in Product development:
o Provide drawings and specifications as needed
o Review- rework product samples
o Packaging approval
o First article approval
o Software/circuit board design and vendor coordination
o Communicate specification changes to the vendors (evenings and mornings preferred to maximize communication flow)
o Assist with assembly instructions (teamed with one of our graphic artists)
- Communicate updates to the sales staff regarding the status of
o Out of stock product- when stock will be replenished
o New product arrivals
o New Point of Sale arrivals
o Overstocked product
- We optimally dual source all products. Perform new vendor assessment.
- Initiate, lead and support Cost Savings Initiatives to reduce Total Cost of Ownership and improve efficiencies
- Actively engage with Research & Development, Quality Assurance, Operations, Sales and Marketing disciplines in finished product improvements, new product development and new or improved processes.
- Support sales staff to articulate the features, advantages and benefits of our products over that of the competition.
- Initiate a supplier performance scorecard to evaluate our vendors and communicate that information to them to motivate them to continuous process improvement
- Assure compliance with all governmental agencies
o 1632 and 1633 compliance (burn testing)
o CARB testing for Accent- (formaldehyde testing for MDF)
o Assure that safety is engineered into all products
The position we are seeking to fulfill is a broad based engineering position focusing on new product design, development, prototyping with our vendors, first article review and Quality Assurance controls.
The position reports directly to me as the CEO. I have 35 US patents and we are constantly developing new products. We have a 125,000 sq. ft. production/warehouse facility in Southern CA and a 50,000 sq. ft warehouse/small assembly facility here at our headquarters in Maryland Heights, MO. We are a $60MM/yr. company with about 125 employees. We have grown 20% in each of the last 2 years and anticipate continuing that growth pace. We have an office in Shanghai which includes our QA engineer. We have several employee QC inspectors in China where we purchase most of our products. This position would office at our headquarters in Maryland Heights. You would coordinate with our Buyer, Assistant Buyer, Sales Management as well as our Graphic Designers- all of which constitute our Product Development Team.
We are a Specialty Sleep Mattress manufacturer concentrating on quality products in air technology (similar to Sleep Number), Memory Foam (similar to Tempurpedic), Latex Foam mattresses, Flotation mattresses, Gel mattresses, motorized bed bases with wireless hand controls, static platform bases, ergonomic pillows, mattress toppers and more. You can find out more about our company and products on our websites below:
We sell to Mass merchants such as Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, Costco, Sam’s Club, QVC, HSN, Overstock.com and Amazon.com. We engineer virtually all of our products to be UPSable including our mattresses so that we are ecommerce friendly. We also sell to many customers like our own local chain, The Bedroom Store as well as Mattress Firm.
We are currently working on projects such as the following:
1. A pneumonic device to recognize snoring and actuate our motorized base to incline the sleeper to a position that would open their air passage to stop/reduce their snoring
2. New air bed hand controls that utilize LCD technology as well as develop an app to control the bed from your phone.
3. Develop several styles of platform frames that are UPSable.
If you feel you would enjoy working for our company and have a skill set that matches our needs please contact me for a time that we could arrange an interview.
Please advise if you have any questions.
Boyd Specialty Sleep