Boys & Girls Club Employee Reviews

Found 1,058 reviews matching the search
Always making the club a positive and safe place for all children.
Aquatics Director (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 13, 2013
When I walk through the doors my first duty is to begin maintenance and the checking of the chemicals. Then I check my emails for any important messages or meetings we may have.After that I begin working on my reports for the Michael Phelps IM Program, tracking folders, monthly's, and programs we may have for that month. After that I start to make my way to the Food Bank to pick up the lunches for the club members. When I return from food bank a co-worker and I start to pick up some of the club members from school and bring them to the club. Once all the Children are at the club we begin power hour. This is where we spend one hour helping a group of children with their homework. When power hour is done, I begin my program fort the pool. First we start with the im program. This program teaches each participant how to be safe in and out of the water. It also teaches them to swim at their own pace making it fun. Next I begin the swim team practice. This is a program that help kids stay in shape and get them ready for summer competition. After swim team practice I start maintenance and paper work for the end of the day. The one thing I learned from the BGCSA (Boys and Girls Clubs of San Antonio) is when teaching or explaining something, not all individuals learn and comprehend the same way. When working with over 200 club members a day and from ages 5-12. I might have to explain the same idea many different ways so that each child could understand. Leaning to do this helps them make the connection and comprehend what is being said. My co-workers are hard and caring individuals that  more... are really trying to make a difference in each child's life. We work as a team and when things become difficult, we lean on each other for support and help. I have never worked with a group of people that really enjoy what they do and love doing it everyday. The hardest part of the job was the constant struggle with my supervisor about safety issue in the pool. They really didn't understand what it takes to run a pool safely and that certain things could not be done. After several meetings explaining the safety guidelines and workings of the pool it remain the same. It's the children, I am very proud to say that I knew 95% of the children names that went to the club. It was also great to make that connection with them and to see them having fun and being them self.. .  less
Pros
monthly staff outing. employee recognition.
Cons
inconsistancy with communication from admin. constant struggle with supervisor about pool safety.
Hardworking and overall fullfilling job!
Site Facilitator (Current Employee) –  San AntonioJanuary 9, 2014
My typical day at work is involved one hundred percent with meetings and then toward the later portion of the day with teenagers or younger kids, I am a Site facilitator, which means I run my own Boys and Girls Club site. I am the overseer of my members and as well as my employee's. I make sure that programming is being ran and that it is educational. Another role of mine is to make sure that all my staff are in compliance with our policies. I have tutors that come in daily to help the kids struggling in school. One of my biggest jobs in being personal with people, whether with staff parents or members. They have to at all times know that I care and that their best interest is at heart.
I have learned organizational skills that run my day. I am super busy and always moving. I have obtained the knowledge of what kind of employees work best to benefit my site and how as a leader I can benefit them. I am learning everyday how to give the best quality of a product with integrity and moral.
My co - workers amongst me are the other site facilitators running their own sites. Through working closely with them I can gauge my improvements and ideas. I work with male dominate staff , with me being the only female. I find it hard sometimes to share my ideas or give positive feedback, without being shot down or ignored. It frustrating for me at times, but It's a part of life and I stay focused on what I need to do to better my company. I would say the hardest part of my job is innovating and stating relevant. The company I work for is barely getting the wheels turning with updating computers,
  more... mindsets, programming, and staff. I am 23 and have received my bachelors degree in communications and like innovation and new idea. I feel at times that I do have to wait on my company to get my job done in a more efficient way and relevant to the members.
The most enjoyable part of my job by fay is working with people. I love making new connections. I like to talk to parents and see what I can do to help them with their kids. When I get to talk to people and here how they feel ,and what the biggest problems are, that is when I can do my job! I can develop ideas and implement them and see improvement and success.
Pros
i love working where people are always around me, i enjoy solving problems, i communicate all the time during the day
Cons
health care and low pay for all that i do.
Fun workplace with daily lessons
Youth Development Programmer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 7, 2012
A typical day at work is very unpredictable. Settling disputes, trying to develop relationships, being a nurse, a friend, or just standing by and letting things work themselves out. I've learned that I forgot so many little things about being little. I do know that I had a great childhood and wouldn't trade it for anything. It wasn't nearly as structured as kids at the Club, but in so many ways I feel like it was simpler and so full of goodness. Each day has it's battles and not every day is a good day but when it comes down to I think I make a difference. I have so many awesome memories of being a kid and to think that I could be a positive memory a kid has in reflection of their childhood, it's enough of a motivator. I look forward to seeing kids over breaks and holidays and sometimes even weekends because I know they enjoy my company.
The Club can be hectic and managment does the obvious,manage. However, when it comes down to it, I couldn't rely on my coworkers more. They are in the areas, doing the same things I'm doing, struggling with the same issues and we are very resourceful. If something isn't clear we work together to find a solution if managment isn't available for guidance. I trust the people I would with, without them, things wouldn't go-round.
The hardest part of my job is writing a child up/disiplining a child that you are very close with and know they mean well. Sometimes it makes me grimace but in the grand scheme of things, I think even that child knows that you care and I think they can respect that, even as kids.
The most enjoyable part of my job is not
  more... knowing what each day holds. If I'm lucky, I can play kickball outside, or identify with a kid about the same problems I had growing up or receieve the biggest of hugs from a kid that is innocent and passes no judgement. I want to teach a child something I know that can spark an interest in them to dream big and make things happen.  less
Pros
no work on weekends, great kids, great staff.
Cons
low pay, little room for advancement.
Fun workspace
Teen Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newhall, CANovember 19, 2015
I worked for the Santa Clarita Boys and Girls Club for 10 years, in those years I was in various positions, within the club. As the office assistant, my typical day included: answering phones, receiving membership applications, giving tours of our facility, inputting membership data, taking photos and attaching them to individual membership cards, updating and creating excel spread sheets, filing, one on one talks with members, aged 7-17 and on occasion, staff supervision.
As the education coordinator, my typical day included, preparing my room for the days activities, such as setting up tables and chairs for homework hour, having the items ready for the daily activity, such as: math bingo, jeopardy, mancala and chess tournaments, interacting with a large group of children (on average, 95 per day), and end of day clean up.
As the teen coordinator, my typical day included: preparing the room for the days activities, driving the van routes to the elementary schools, supervising volunteers, having homework hour for the teens, and then having set activities for them, as well as free time, twice a week I held meeting with our leadership groups.
Very supportive management; however, a lot of office politics within the upper management, and board of directors. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the kids grow everyday, not just in age, but in mentality and maturity. Also, I loved my co-workers, and still keep in touch with a few of them.
Pros
Making a differnce in the lives of youth, free snacks, lasting relationships
Cons
Office politics, growth is slow and short coming, most positions are part time, no health benefits for part time.
Productive and fun work environment
Youth Development Professional (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INJune 27, 2014
A typical work day at the Boys and Girls Club can vary depending on the events planned, the programs being ran, and the age group I work with. Some days I go into work and do strictly programming. On these days I run Health/Life Skill, Education/Career Development, and Character/Leadership programs for children of ages 6-18. Other days I go to work I am on the floor doing recreational programming. On these days I plan activities and games for the children including on the spot fun, arts and crafts, and fitness challenges. While completing the duties as a youth development professional, I also hold the responsibility of supervising our Jr.Staff and Volunteers. I complete their work schedules and plan events for them such as community service projects, club service projects and fundraisers.

I work with a diverse group of people who are all working to provide our children with positive relationships and encouragement to work on weak areas in their lives along with praising them for effort, good conduct and achievement.

The most difficult part of my job at the Boys and Girls Club is knowing that as a single person I cannot change and reach every child that comes through our doors. I have a passion to help the youth and it is difficult seeing the children who grow up in the same low poverty community as myself struggle with day to day life.

The most rewarding part of my job are the relationships I get to build with these youth. It is rewarding to know that so many of them trust me with their personal information, their dreams and goals and even their failures. Knowing I can be
  more... depended on by them makes my rough days at work worth it.  less
Pros
building relationships with children, staff and community, changing lives, making a difference
Cons
short work days
Hostile work environment
Unit Director (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 5, 2013
A typical day at work is coordinating daily educational and fun activities for the youth. Meeting with staff to ensure directives and goals are being met. Establishing and maintaining relationships with the community to raise funds and volunteer support.

What I witnessed reinforced in me the importance of having strong ethics in the work place. VP's at this organization often yell at staff during meetings (this includes the threat to fire staff who are not present). Threatening e-mails are sent to staff and additional management are copied on these communications. Disorganization abounds from every area. Staff are told to complete one task and then threatened and or humiliated via e-mail for not completing a task they were not asked to complete.

Poor behavior, lazy work ethic and staff who say "yes" (even to illegal tasks) are celebrated and rewarded.

There is strong reverse discrimination. The President openly stated that white people are incapable of filling positions at the club level. There is cultural discrimination against African Americans who do not fit cultural stereo-types.

Many staff openly state they are afraid of upper management. Staff is unethical and often lie about participation numbers (this is promoted by VP's and other upper managment staff). Upper management bullies staff to lie or bully other staff and are punished if they do not comply. Punishment includes demotion,being held back from promotion or are often made fun of in staff meetings.

This is not a positive work environment.
Pros
working with the youth and parents is an extraordinary experience.
Cons
upper management are poorly managed and allowed to treat staff poorly.
Safe and enjoyable environment
Kindergarten Staff Director (Former Employee) –  Rice Lake, WisconsinJanuary 11, 2013
A typical day at the Boys and Girls Club involved me getting to work at 3:00 in the afternoon when they children got off the bus. Once the children got off the bus the staff would be waiting for them inside to help hang up their back pack's and get their outdoor gear on. We would go outside to play for approximately a half and hour. From the outdoors we would hear inside to our assigned classrooms where I would gather the kids together and I would teach them the lesson that I had planned at the beginning of the week. Parents would randomly come and pick their children up throughout the evening where I would help the kids get their stuff together and go through the sign out process. I enjoyed every part of my job and would still work there if I hadn't had to move for college. My co-workers were outstanding, the children and parents were wonderful and I wouldn't have changed it for anything. The hardest part of the job would have been having to leave these children and go to my own home while I was wondering if they were going to be safe at night. Working in a children setting is hard when you have such a big heart. Hearing stories of the lives many of those children had was heart-wrenching. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the joy on the kid's faces when they saw me standing at the top of the stairs when they got off the bus or at the local grocery store. All those kids wanted was someone to love and care for them and I wanted to do just that. The Boys and Girls Club was a terrific job that I would recommend to anyone looking for a job in that field.
Glorified Daycare
Staff (Former Employee) –  Eagle River AlaskaApril 9, 2015
I worked at our local club house for a few months, and I didn't like a single day of it. It is now under a new manager whom I worked with when she was only staff, and I hear she has changed to place around for the good. I'm only speaking for my time as staff there, and so things may be very different now.

Most of the kids there were little terrors, and there was little to no support from the parents or management. There was several times some of the kids should have been removed from the club permanently, but the management at the time was more concerned about club membership than the safety of the staff or membership.

For example: We had a set of siblings that liked to threaten the staff by saying things like "When I get home I'm going to tell my mom you hit me, and you're going to get in trouble." They would do this because you told them clean up their mess, stick with the program schedule, or something they didn't want to do. They would go as far and hitting each other to make it look convincing.

It wasn't a great environment as a male staff member, and I really didn't like it. There was a lot of sadness with some of the kids. They would arrive as soon as the door opened in the morning, and they would be the last to leave Monday - Saturday. A lot of the parents just used it as a daycare for their kids.

The parents were sometimes very very hard to work with, and would threaten to sue you or something. The made the job even more enjoyable some times.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Kids, Staff, Parents, Company policies
Amazing Internship helping Children
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 29, 2014
A typical day at work for me was before going to my site I would meet with my internship coordinator to talk about upcoming events to plan for. Once I got to my site I would meet with the director of the sight to go over any information and who needed the most help. After I would go meet with the students that needed help and discuss with them what we were going to work on. As they would work through our lesson I would ask them several questions to make sure they fully understood how to work through each problem. I would usually work with 3 or 4 students a day. I learned how to interact with children from all different walks of life, also how to effectively communicate with them so that they understood what I was trying to teach them. I also learned how to teach the children in an effective way that helped them understand the concept, that sometimes in school they were completely lost. The managers were beyond amazing from my internship coordinator to the directors of the sites. They were well organized and worked with me to help complete every aspect of my internship requirement. Every time I met with them they were able to give me a brief concise description of what they wanted me to do. The other volunteers were great they were helpful, some had been there longer than I had and really helped me get up to speed quickly. The hardest part of the job was to come up with the most effective way to teach each individual child, it was a lot of guess and check. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the children learn and the joy that you get knowing your helping someone.
Pros
helping the children, developing bonds with each child, the people you work for and with.
Cons
the sites weren't in the best areas.
Fun, exciting, environment with different opportunities at life
Development Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNDecember 5, 2015
The day starts to make sure paper work is done for plugging children that was present at the club day before in a computer system. Meetings always happen between the staff and directors to start the day off, making sure everyone is on the same page and leading the day off with a positive vibe. The meetings also include different task that need to be completed for the day. Children are then transferred to the facility by buses and by different staff who walks to their schools. Snack is provided, homework assistance, different classes of learning science, fine arts, and how use the computer are provided. Well as a fun environment of a game room and gym is provided! The staff are filled with joy, happiness, and a willing to succeed, and provide the best help to the children. The most difficult part about the job is giving all of your energy all week into the children. Sometimes it can wear you down but you have to keep pushing for them. Another part is dealing with children that have problems listening and following direction on a constant basis. When a child says you make my day, or says to you that you are their favorite is the most enjoyable part of the job. When you know that you have gave out the most positive look for the children that are looking up to is the most enjoyable part of the job!
Pros
Communication Skills will be better, flexible hours, understanding directors, fun environment, paid dinner and paid snack for the children, enjoyable music
Cons
Non profit organization, no benefits
A great place to show support for young people in the community
Clerical Trainee (Former Employee) –  Freeport ILSeptember 16, 2012
My typical day starts by going in early to check in people for the day at work. Begin data entries for the week(making bulletins and memos to mail off to community buildings for services and events for the month. Also delivering mail to employers and answering phone calls for employers from outside sources. Working also with the co owner in bookkeeping to manage costs of the upkeep of the building and passing out paychecks to employees weekly.
What I learned is working for a government funded company is much harder than a job not funded by the government. You only get paid if the funds are in. Working here has to be a passion before a financial gain.
The management is great. The strongest people over the board are in the warden positions of the community. They help upkeep the building in funds and the diligence of the kids' minds in education and extra curricular activities.
My co-workers are great too. They are passionate about seeing youth overcome struggles of being somebody in the world instead of statistics that society labels them as.
The hardest part of the job is the lack of funding to help pay employees (especially the kids).
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the kids up and ready to go to tutoring classes and learn new things by the teachers in the after school program.
Pros
the dinners and snacks for the kids, sporting events, after school program
Cons
lack of funding, not enough pay for kid employees, open late closed early
Exciting and fun workplace with great kids
Intermediate Site Instructor (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJune 25, 2013
A day at Boys and Girls Club is fairly structured, in terms of the timeline of the day. We have "Power Hour" first, which is like a homework club for one solid hour. This was followed by a half hour snack, and then an hour-long enrichment activity of our choosing. The activity had to cover one of the core elements of BGC. At approximately 4:45 pm, the members who walked home were allowed to leave, and the for the rest of the day, until 6 pm, we would hang out with the members, playing games, getting to know them and allowing them to socialize. My co-workers were all very laid-back and receptive to me. It was easy to get along well with them and sometimes collaborate on ideas or suggestions. I find myself continuing to grow and learn every day that I work there. This is the kind of work I want to do, working with and mentoring youth. The hardest part can definitely be the resistance and bad attitudes that the kids can confront you with on an almost daily basis. However, with a little persistence and compassion, you can see the fruits of your labor in their improved attitudes and outlooks on life.
Pros
good co-workers, great bunch of kids, fun site to work at
Cons
short breaks, few hours, difficult to advance in the organization
Fun and great after school programming for at risk youth
Director (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CADecember 17, 2015
I was in charge of the Tulare Youth Center. I managed the city of Tulare staff and Boys and Girls club staff and maintained or implemented new and creative afterschool programming for youth ages 9-18.
I was under the Operation Director and Executive Director in Visalia, California. The management was at times confusing as we had differences when it came to funding or the importance of quality programing. Theirs were on outcomes, unfair budget cuts and fulfilling minimal grant requirements, where my heart and commitment was to the at Risk youth to which the grant was given.
Co-workers, were of course my staff and I enjoyed and got along with each one. They brought quality and whole heart programming to the youth to which we shared that common interest and goal.
The hardest part of the job was seeing some of the youth making repeated bad decisions where they were kicked out of the program.
The most enjoyable part of the job was watching these youth change and find the love and acceptance they lacked. Not only did they get quality programming, they were loved. Even until today, the youth I was privileged to serve then are now adults but continue to remind and thank us for the time invested in them. There is no greater reward than to see what a difference you made in someone's life.
Pros
Quality afterschool programming
Cons
budget cuts
productive and challenging workplace with very enjoyable kids
Janitor/Maintenance / teachers assistant (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CADecember 13, 2013
i cleaned and set up tables for kids lunches and had a small break while they ate then i put tables back up and swept and mopped ( if needed ). After lunch i would assist any teacher that needed assistant with their class. If no specific teacher needed help, i could go from room to room to help each Teacher out a Little bit whether it was from helping students with work, or organizing a bookshelf. I learned how to have more patience for people and how doing something as little as helping a kid cut out a picture meant more than it seems. The staff was super friendly and gave me tips on how to do things i had never tried to do :). the hardest part of the job was trying to keep backpacks and sweaters off the floor because once i finished picking them up, they would be right back on the floor. Not necessarily hard, but had to be repeated the most throughout the day. Taking out the trash was sometimes a struggle as well. the bags were soo packed to the point where they'd break or drip all the way to the dumpster. the most enjoyable part was getting to play games with the kids when they had their break and i had mine. Getting to meet new people and having a good time throughout the day while getting things done.
enjoyable and challenging
Physical education assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 12, 2015
Being able to say you love what you do is one thing, being able to show it is another. Working with children is not for all and unless you have the patience and the desire to grow as a person it's not for you. I have to follow a daily schedule of activities as well as be coach, doctor, mediator, or teacher. Being adaptable is crucial to the job. I have learned and continue to learn that unless I'm willing to learn and be modest as well as humble I cant learn nor enjoy my job. Management has changed often while I've been at the club and had to adjust to the different personalities but none the less being a subordinate is not an issue and I 'm able to work with others effectively. My coworkers are a pleasure to be around and while they are younger in years I address them as colleagues not to use age as an excuse to be haughty.The hardest part of the job is having to deal with a new child who may have issues and not being told about this and then realizing the parents are not supportive in terms of how to deal with the child.the most enjoyable part is being part of these kids growth, and playing a part in who they become.
Pros
supportive company, fulltime hours on days off
Cons
no chance for growth for parttimers without degree despite seniority with the club
productive, fun place , and very family oriented
Coach/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 13, 2015
The Boys and Girls Club is a very fun place for adults and kids to be at, at the same time they are very serious about education and were they want the kids that come there to be in life. they crack down on rules and education for kids. They came up with ideas and ways to help kids get their homework done, and had help for the children when they didn't understand their work. they also welcomed you and talked to you like you were their very own, they treat you with full respect with everything you do , and they also have activities for the adults that work there to help us become closer with each other for the sake of communication and work. The hardest part of the job was keeping the kids in line and making sure that rotation went on time and making sure kids were in there perspective places. it was also hard to teach the young men there how to treat the lady workers as well as the young woman that attended the Club.The most enjoyable part about them is that you become so close to the workers and the kids that it seems as if your family and you see each other everyday, the respect that comes from them is beyond amazing. My co-workers adapted to me and the kids so fast and well they got attached so quickly i felt like i had known them my entire life.
Pros
free lunch, free snacks, homework hour/down time, free Friday, plays, celebration of kids and the basketball teams
Cons
short breaks, favoritism
Amazing place to work, Not so much to be managed by
Tech Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CAJanuary 17, 2014
I think, as with all Youth development jobs, Working with children and helping them to advance in life is it's own development. The staff whom I worked with was top notch. If you needed help moving a ton of boxes and asked for help, they were cheerful enough to make a contest out of which one of them could move the most amount.
However the management was a little harsh. It was a constant for not fully training employees on the finer aspects of things like filling out a report of the day, then marking down such employee for not doing the form correctly.

It's been years since I've worked there, and I have heard that it's changed, if so then I see no reason for any cons for this job. Aside form it being non-profit. Don't really expect to have a large disposable income, if any unless you're higher management.
Pros
fantastic cause, fantastic support from co-workers, works perfectly with college students going to school in the morning.
Cons
no benefits unless full time which is nearly impossible to get, horrible management at the time.
A positive place for kids
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Wilson County, Floresville, TXOctober 12, 2014
Boys and Girls Club of Wilson County is a non-profit organization dedicated to nurturing underprivileged children in Wilson County, Texas.
I am President of the Board of Directors for that branch of the Boys and Girls Club. It's a part time job focusing primarily on creating bylaws and making decisions that impact the club on a whole. Any time the Boys and Girls Club has to negotiate for building spaces or property and equipment to be donated, the board of directors takes over to get the best outcome for both the club and the local population.
The toughest part of the job is knowing that not everyone shares the belief that Boys and Girls Club exists to build up children. With so many other non-profit organizations jockeying for donated time, space and money, it becomes a big challenge to get our projects completed many times.
The absolute best part of the position is the ultimate impact is has on the children of the community. When you see children compete for scholarships and come together to work as a team with one another who would never be part of each others' lives otherwise, it gives a sense of satisfaction. There's also a sense of satisfaction to see some of the children grow up and go off to college, or go out on their own having learned many of their leadership and organizational skills through the Boys and Girls club.
Pros
the impact the organization has on children
Cons
the doubt expressed on a regular basis by total strangers
A fun/educating workplace with many games and loving/respectable staff
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Freeport, ILDecember 29, 2014
I would usually help pass out lunch as the kids make it there. Then i would help clean up any mess made while kids sit in lines according to their grade. All assistance go to their grade group and sit their until the teachers make it and we walk to the class room. The teacher takes attendance and we do whatever is planned for the day. When the day is over we wait till the kids leave and go home. I've learned many thing but the most important one is that communication is key, we used it a lot.The management was well and very under control, staff/ co-workers were nice and very well respected. There wasn't really nothing hard about the job because the kids really clicked they loved being around you and i loved seeing them smile every time they knew i was there. when the program was over i still seen the kids in my class around and thy still addressed me with Mrs. Sherrice i still talked to them like everything was normal. i enjoyed being around everyone, everything they were doing was wonderful and i loved being part of this club. i would consider working there if they had me for full time and not seasonal.
Third grad after school teacher, fun, a bit crazy at times.
Teacher/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 5, 2015
To start my day I walk with two other co-workers to pick up the children from Kaiser elementary. I am in charge of 28 eight year olds on a daily basis. The boys and girls club at this location is not ran quit professionally and it is a little frustrating. Schedules are not emailed or given to us. They are posted it seems the same monday they start on for that week, or at best the weekend right before the week starts. Schedules always change, adding on or taking away hours. Hardest part of the job would be not having enough time to tutor each individual child. At times we are found choosing which kids to tutor because we do not have enough staff or homework time in the program. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fact i get to have such a positive influence in all these eight year olds and that their parents love and trust me. This christmas really made me special receiving so many cards and thank you letters from students and parents for what I do at the boys and girls club.
Pros
fun, active
Cons
management, scheduling

4.3