Boys & Girls Club Employee Reviews in United States

Nice freindly environment
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 23, 2016
A typical day here would be answering phones, making copies, faxing, correcting papers, filing papers and returning calls. I've learned from this job that it takes a lot of patience. The manager was a sweet lady whom I got along with fine. I was her personal assistant/clerk. Hardest part about this job is being able to mutlitask. Most enjoyable part of this job was working with this individual and seeing things through her perspective.
Very exciting to learn about what our youth are thinking.
Counselor/Coach (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work would be leading and supervising a group of kids during recreational activities. I learned about different cultures and practices from children from different communities. my Co- workers were great we were all on the same page, which made it fun to go to work. the hardest part of the job was listening to kids tell on each other for simple things. the most enjoyable part of the job was watching the kids doing the whip and nae nae (dance).
Pros
Entertaining, uplifting the youth
Cons
no benefits
Productive and fun work place at the Boy's & Girl's Club
Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 28, 2016
A typical day at work would be teaching the students more about life ,helping them with their issues in school, showing them how to respect one another.
I learn how to be more understanding.
My manger and co-workers was the best. They showed me things that I didn't learn in school or home.
the hardest part is leaving the kids.
the most enjoyable part at work was coming in taking the club on trips and games.
This job was very rewarding!
Volleyball Coach/ Referee (Former Employee) –  Granbury, TXMarch 5, 2016
Fridays we would have practice often times we started practice talking about our weeks this helped the kids to connect. I learned so much in this job mainly about how to motivate a team as well as keeping a positive attitude. I had team mates from school sports as co-workers this helped our team relationship on the court. I loved working with my team mates.
Pros
Very upbeat enviroment
Cons
It started team rivalries from team mates trying to push their teams to beat another.
Fun workplace, celebrates creativity, work that doesn't feel like work
Mentor and tutor children (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAFebruary 27, 2016
you lead programs 5 days a week, with occasional opportunities for work extra hours. It allows a lot of creative freedom and room to express yourself. If you like talking and being around people, this place is perfect. limited amounts of paperwork, great opportunities to stay active. Coworkers and managers are usually very amiable and supportive. the hardest part of the job can at times be time management, but also saying goodbye to the members if you are suddenly transferred to another site.
Pros
creative freedoms
Cons
subject to sudden transfer
Teen Mentor
Teen Mentor/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cathedral City, CAFebruary 19, 2016
Typical Day at work was getting picked on by High School student, helping them with homework, listening to their problems, offering them career oriented advice, kicking their butts at ping pong, chess, battleship, and watching them grow as adults.

I learned how my son behaves as a teenager

Management was tight and complimenting of eachother

Co workers were pleasant

hardest part of the job was seeing a teen club member in distress or get into legal trouble

Most enjoyable part was having the teens cheer for me when introduced at big events
Pros
Love
Cons
Teen problems (home issues)
Fun learning environment. Keeps kids busy and always learning new things
Summer job (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARFebruary 9, 2016
My working hours were nice. I learned a lot of responsibilities and standards. It was pretty well-structured and organized. The purpose to me was to learn types of responsibilities. I believe it has improve d me more. It was fun working their and meeting the kids and co-workers. The hardest of part of the job probably would have been keeping the kids focus. But I managed. Overall, I enjoyed the work experience.
Pros
Free lunch, lunch break any time(1)
Cons
Short lunch break
A good place to help the youth with their future goals
Youth Development Professional (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 27, 2016
Its generally a fun place to work. You have to stay on your toes with a lot of the children. Helping with homework and teaching life skills are the most important services that the club offers. Math, Phys Ed, Science, Art and Reading are daily subjects at the club as well.
We are sub teachers actually.
Pros
Helping Youth
Cons
Pay scale
Exciting work environment
Youth Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Box Elder, MTJanuary 21, 2016
This job was a grant position, where the grant only lasted for a one year period. Each day I prepared after school activities for the children. My co-workers were involved with the activities. I truly enjoyed working with the community and the children. The hardest part of my job was finding the funding to keep the facility open.
Pros
Worked with a diversity of children
Cons
No benefits and no room for advancement
Benefical to my future, nice staff
Counselor In Training (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 23, 2016
I worked eight hour days sometimes, but the hours are flexible for volunteers. I grew up around these people so, it was a pretty easy transition, and a very enjoyable experience. Even if you didn't grow up in this community it is a very family friendly business.
Pros
Free lunch, Service hours (volunteer work)
Cons
Some kids are misbehaved
performed monthly billpay and daily customer payments
Financial Assistant (intern) (Former Employee) –  Ruston, LAApril 1, 2016
I was responsible for collecting and recording all money that was given to or used by the Boys and Girls Club. I learned patience and to be precise in my counting, calculating, and observing. I would record where the money was coming from, who it was for, and place it in the correct spreadsheet to ensure the state grants were being utilized properly. I reconciled all bills to ensure all debt was paid and up to date. The primary accountant and I had very different personalities but it positively allowed me to see that I can work with and learn from someone who is different than me. The hardest part about my job was disciplining my self to multitask to finish all jobs by or before the deadline. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see how much I truly enjoyed accounting and budgeting. It gave me a great outlook on my career goals.
productive and fun work place with pool, table pool, video games
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMarch 14, 2016
I would come in early to sweep, mop, and set up tables and chairs for the kids to do their homework. the management was excellent, my co-workers were very helpful to me and the kids, there were no hard parts of the job it was very easy, the most enjoy part of the job was working with the kids.
Very exciting place to work !
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 22, 2016
This was my very first job. I have grown and learned so much thanks to the employers, the customers, the children, and management teams. I came in only as a tutor and left as an Assistant Supervisor who was in charge of various projects and lead my own teams to successful goals. Place is amazing in every way possible.
very rewarding job
Youth Development Professional (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYDecember 22, 2015
run the front desk until 2pm, take the van and pick kids up at school, unload van, pick up my class in the gym and go to room, send kids to cafeteria for tutoring if they had homework, do programming with the rest of the class, do what was on our agenda for that day, gather all the kids in the gym at the end of the day, take the kids home on the van, bring the van back and clock out.
Pros
Being there for someone who may not have anyone
Cons
Not being able to help more than you are able to
This was a great job
Jr. Staff (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIApril 13, 2016
This job allowed me to teach and mentor 4th and 5th grade students. The hardest part of the job is when the students would act up, but I usually got them under control. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the same manager I had previously.
Pros
Working with the same manages
Cons
Students would sometimes act out
Fun job with low pay
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 17, 2015
The Boys and Girls Clubs of King County has a great mission, and I truly enjoyed working with the kids. However, the pay is very low. They are trying to fix this right now by giving higher wages to new employees; however, they are not giving raises to current employees. That means new employees will be making more money than their coworkers who have been working at the organization for years.
Pros
Great kids, get payed to play
Cons
Low pay, undervalued staff
Bgc
Teach kids programs (Current Employee) –  Cole Camp, MODecember 30, 2015
A typical day at work I help get the kids and take them to have a snack. Then we take them to a classroom to do homework for what we call "powerhour". Then they have a 30 minute recess. At 5pm.m everyday we start our scheduled programs for that day and break the kids up into groups in which they get to choose where they go. Then we teach them new and exciting things.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
hardly any hours
fun and productive
Education Supervisor /Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLApril 1, 2016
This place gave me a new life this can help in all ways and will be able to help in the long run. This place can and will help with the professional level with the work world.The boys and girls club is an non profit organization that can how you view about the kids and there futures.
fun and exciting workplace that inspires both specialists and children to work together to learn and grow.
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 5, 2016
My time at the Boys and Girls Club has been one of my favorites. Aiding in the development of my students and watching them grow has been one of the most rewarding experiences. I feel as though my job was not simply to teach, but also to learn. My passion for working with children has always been present, but through this position I have been able to mold this passion into a skill. The skill set I have acquired through this position includes the ability to communicate with parents and teachers, maintain classroom management, create lesson plans, and find creative ways to make learning fun. I truly regard this position as one of the highlights of my career and personal growth.
Pros
flexibility with school schedule
Cons
lack of substitutes
The boys and Girls club is a fun and learning atmosphere.
Membership Manager (Current Employee) –  Opelika, ALFebruary 9, 2016
I have really enjoyed working at the Boys and girls club, I have learned a lot of computer and management skills that i have used in solving issues with parents,kids and staff. I have been recognized for my helpfulness to help management with issues as they occur.

4.4